PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews 11/7 - 11/11

mickeys#1fan
11-15-2003, 11:08 AM
We are back from another magical trip to WDW. Eating is always a big part of the trip for us, and this was no exception, in spite of the short duration. Here's are the highlights (and lowlights).

11/7 Dinner at Le Cellier - Our PS was for 6:20. We got there at 5:30 and were told we'd be seated promptly. Not seating until 6:45. We all started with the Cheddar Cheese Soup. DD (10) and DW loved it. I thought it was overrated, as was the pretzel bread. I found it too salty and too smokey, and the cheese was separating from the base.

I had the Chef's Excursion, DW the filet with cream cheese mashed potatoes, and DD a burger. The burger was the usual dry Disney fare. DW's filet was tender and cooked to a proper medium rare, but I could do just as well on my grill. I expect more from a $30.00 steak. The Chef's Excursion included an appetizer of Tuna Tartare, a strip steak, and the Mascarpone Cheesecake for $33.95. The Tuna Tartare was the highlight of the evening. It is minced, raw tuna on a bed of minced cucumber, formed in a ring mold. It is perfectly complemented by a soy sesame reduction and wasabi whipped cream. I detest cucumber, but this provided a nice, cool counterpoint to the spiciness of the wasabi cream. The tuna was fresh and silky.

The entree is given a special name, which I forget now. It's billed as a strip steak with tenderness of a filet. If I hadn't been so hungry, I would have sent it back. I ordered medium rare, and it came out almost medium well. It would have been dry and mealy at any temperature. The price breakout on the receipt indicated that the steak was only $11.95. This is clearly garbage cut that would otherwise be shark food over at the Living Seas. The sharks can have it.

DW had the chocolate-chocolate bread pudding. This is more or less the flourless chocolate cake served at many of the other restaurants. No more than a dry brownie.

I had the Mascarpone Fireweed Honey Cheesecake. This is a unique presentation of cheesecake. The mascarpone is creamy and light and is perfectly sweetened with honey. It makes a nice finish to a heavy meal.

To be continued...

Lynn CC
11-15-2003, 01:42 PM
DH wasn't impressed with his meal at Le Cellier either. He liked the steak at Yachtsman better.

mickeys#1fan
11-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Lynn CC
DH wasn't impressed with his meal at Le Cellier either. He liked the steak at Yachtsman better.

For the numbers of folks that rave about Le Cellier, it seems like more enjoy Yachtman's. We're looking forward to trying it. So much good eating, so little time.