PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant you love, against the odds?

jerseydizdreamer
11-11-2003, 02:44 PM
In recently reading a thread about the Sci-Fi Dine-In over at MGM, it occurred to me that it might just be the most devisive restaurant at Disney... it has a crew of loyal supporters, and a crew of folks who'd love to see it go the way of the Skyway ride.

So here's my question: What restaurant do you and/or yours love, despite the fact many other people bash it?

Richard

Minnesota!
11-11-2003, 04:02 PM
San Angel Inn - hands down. I LOVE IT!

webray
11-11-2003, 04:16 PM
Alfredo's, San Angel Inn

CamColt
11-11-2003, 04:52 PM
Mama Melrose is one of our favorites.

Also, we have eaten at Planet Hollywood 3x and always had a great meal. The last time was this past August and it was the best one yet. The LA Lasagna was incredible!

sue1013
11-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Always enjoy the 3 most bashed restaurants on these boards. Tony's, San Angel & Sci-Fi (burgers).

MOMTOMOOTOO
11-11-2003, 06:11 PM
We like the RFC. I know most people don't like it but we do ok with muchies and burgers.

daannzzz
11-11-2003, 06:34 PM
The RFC has been fine as has Planet Hollywood and of course the Sci Fi dine in is a favorite. I think the place that gets the worst reviews that i really liked was Nine Dragons but I had Dim Sum only.

Pooh67_68
11-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Planet Hollywood.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

jimmiej
11-11-2003, 09:24 PM
We love Sci-Fi, RFC, PH, & San Angel (a must do on all our trips). :wave2:

jann1033
11-11-2003, 11:25 PM
probably San Angelo also...the food is not anything like it was but still love the atmosphere and ithe food was still ok, just more CHICHi-like than the first time we went. skipping it this time just cause we want to go other places and do not have room

kathylovesdisneyworl
11-12-2003, 04:58 AM
Fultons

We won't come to Disney without out eating there. Had heard some pretty bad reviews about food and service. Never had a problem with either. Just goes to show everyone is different.

Uncleromulus
11-12-2003, 05:13 AM
Probably Planet Hollywood. Had two excellent lunches there (in spite of the noise and "dancing" servers).

ead79
11-12-2003, 09:28 AM
I have enjoyed every meal at Rainforest Cafe. The Bomba's BBQ wrap is really outstanding, and I look forward to eating there every trip even though it gets mixed reviews here.

Robert P
11-12-2003, 09:42 AM
RFC is a must every visit. We have yet to have a bad meal experience there (knock on wood).

aladdinsgirl
11-12-2003, 10:37 AM
My DH and I both love San Angel Inn. We ate there the first time on our honeymoon and every time since then. We love the food, the atmosphere, the servers (we've always had great ones), and DH especially loves the margaritas. :rolleyes: A trip to WDW wouldn't be complete without lunch at San Angel Inn.

MamaQuack
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Alfredo's, San Angel, Sci Fi, Coral Reef and RFC at AK

Simba's Mom
11-12-2003, 04:43 PM
It's counter serve, not sit down, but I love Pizzafari!

BadgerBruce
11-12-2003, 04:51 PM
The Paradise Pot Roast at the RFC in DD was one of the best meals I've had anywhere. Pleasantly surprised!

DisFam95
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
not so much bashed but very overlooked by people..Akerhus in Norway. I had no desire whatsoever to try that place but my DH LOVES smoked fish and other nasty things so since we tend to do whatever I say during a Disney trip I decided to let him have say over 1 thing :p Well I LOVED it. There were so many other things to try and they were all great. I'm skeptical abuot the recent ordering changes (1/2 buffet, 1/2 from server) but we will go again in Jan.

In fact..nevermind..no one go there..it's horrible..nothing but slimy fish guts!! We love having no wait to go there so everyone STAY AWAY!!! kidding..give it a try.

LoriZH
11-12-2003, 06:15 PM
Nine Dragons, yup that's what I said, lol. We haven't eaten here in a while but we really enjoy this restaurant, we've never had a bad meal.

RFC, downtown only, the one at AK was not that good.

I always thought that SanAngel was a favorite, did I miss something?

Planogirl
11-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Too late DisFam95. :) Akershus is mine and my husband's favorite sit-down restaurant at WDW, well at least it was before the menu change. I hope that it still is!

We all like RFC. We've never had bad food or bad service at the Downtown Disney location. We've never tried the one at AK so I don't know about that one.

joyjoy
11-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I thought I'd be the only one, but LoriZH beat me. We LOVED Nine Dragons. I'd heard so many bad things about it that we never tried it over the years. They had a big menu change and we took a chance in September. It was one of our best meals at WDW, and we had a LOT of good meals. We are all (2 adults, 2 teens) vegetarians and they went out of their way to accommodate us. It was so good in fact, that my boyfriend now rates ALL restaurants - not just at Disney World - on the "Dragon" scale, e.g. "That was about 6 Dragons, I'd say" (the highest being 9). The service was impeccable, too. Love it.::yes::

cinmell
11-13-2003, 05:29 PM
Alfredos

Penny2
11-13-2003, 06:24 PM
Have to agree with others who posted about Fultons. Never miss it on our trips. We were there two weeks ago tonite! Has shrimp cocktail, crab legs and steak....GET OUT THE PIXIE DUST CAUSE I'M READY TO FLY DOWN RIGHT NOW!!

I know others bash it royally but we have NEVER had a bad meal there. We enjoyed it more than our meal at Bistro de Paris!

DVC~OKW~96
11-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Cape May's Dinner Buffet. I've had such wonderful meals there it is almost embarrassing! So many times it gets trashed here, I wonder if I dine in the same Cape May as everyone else! :D

KrnB
11-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Another vote for Norway - we've always really enjoyed it. Good food (even a few things I didn't think I'd like) and really nice CMs.

We generally don't eat at Rainforest because we can do that here at the Mall of America, but I've never had any complaints about the food there. I've really liked the items I've ordered there. They have some tasty and original dishes.

LaGaviota
11-14-2003, 10:37 AM
-----------------

Micca
11-16-2003, 08:49 AM
'Fredo's

eeyore0062
11-16-2003, 11:19 AM
San Angel Inn, Nine Dragons, Mama Melrose, and Fulton's.

SamanthaL
11-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Only been once but loved the Coral Reef.

Kaycee
11-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Sci Fi is our all-around favorite restaurant at WDW, and it is an absolute must for every trip. We also have enjoyed both our visits to RFC at DD and plan to go back, although probably not every trip.

sters
11-16-2003, 09:28 PM
1.) San Angel... we just had a most delicious meal here. My husband said it was the best chicken he'd ever tasted.. he even took the leftovers "home" for breakfast (whatever). It was also our cheapest sit down dinner of our trip. And the setting.... ahhh, it's just delightful.

2.) Princess breakfast at Norway. VEry pleasantly surprised at the lovely setting and stellar service. THe food was great with the exception of the waffles which was only so-so.

I HIGHLY recommend both!

stink
11-17-2003, 10:12 AM
50s Prime Time Cafe: Before our first trip in 1998 I read the Unofficial Guide to DW. The guide bashed the 50s Prime Time Cafe but friends had told us it was a hoot ! So we decided to give it a try. The food was good and the place was a riot. I would recommend it for anyone to try. Also the San Angel Inn, our meal was good, it was quiet and relaxing. The ironic thing is that in our 1999 trip many friends and what I've read recommended the Buffet in Norway and it just wasn't for us. It seems at times the restuarants I am concerned about I end up enjoying and the restuarants that have come highly recommended I end up saying "it wasn't for me".

new_yawka
11-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but we really enjoyed Olivia's at OKW. The food was very good and the atmosphere was laid back. A perfect way to relax at WDW (although you can say this about OKW generally, as well). ;)

dawnsb
11-17-2003, 11:45 AM
My husband and I enjoyed Wispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge for breakfast and lunch despite the negative reviews we read.
We also enjoyed the seafood buffet at Cape May Cafe.

jaysue
11-17-2003, 12:49 PM
We love Bistro de Paris - it surpassed our expectations and is a special place for a romantic dinner for 2 at WDW

thanks
jaysue

TomAndLori
11-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Coral Reef always gets bashed because of its prices (which are outrageous), but we have had great experiences there every time. The food and service have been top notch.

If you understand that some of what you are paying for is the view...then you should have a great dinner.

KrnB
11-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by dawnsb
My husband and I enjoyed Wispering Canyon at Wilderness Lodge for breakfast and lunch despite the negative reviews we read.
We also enjoyed the seafood buffet at Cape May Cafe.

We like Whispering Canyon at breakfast too. We've never done it at lunch. We also like the seafood buffet at Cape May - we at there for the first time on our last trip because it was close and quick (we stay at BWV) and were really pleased with it.

GlennandAnn
11-22-2003, 04:50 PM
We like San Angel Inn and RFC.

Ann:earsgirl:

bobbiwoz
11-22-2003, 07:21 PM
We like the Tonga Toast at Kona Kafe at the Poly. It's not for everyone, but we like it. We used to go every time we went to Sunday Mass at the Poly. Now, we have to make a special trip to the Poly, and it's not that easy. I like their coffee too.

Bobbi

jaysue
11-23-2003, 05:14 AM
TomAndLori, agreed on Coral Reef, the prices are very high and the food is good but not special...but that view....gave our two DS's a nice calming dinner after a busy day at the parks

thanks
jaysue

Divamomto3
11-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by jerseydizdreamer
In recently reading a thread about the Sci-Fi Dine-In over at MGM, it occurred to me that it might just be the most devisive restaurant at Disney... it has a crew of loyal supporters, and a crew of folks who'd love to see it go the way of the Skyway ride.

So here's my question: What restaurant do you and/or yours love, despite the fact many other people bash it?

Richard

Nine Dragons..the Chinese restaurant in Epcot!!

FlaJstme
11-23-2003, 09:08 AM
I don't think its against the odds, but hands down favorite restaurant..NARCOOSSEE'S We will be going back to Disney this Tuesday and dining at Narcoossee's on Thanksgiving. I called up the restaurant and spoke with the Chef personally...Chef T.J> is very accommodating to my mothers special dietary needs....I can't Wait.

castleri
11-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Nine Dragons and RFC

jaysue
11-23-2003, 01:11 PM
castleri what is RFC?

thanks
jaysue

bobbiwoz
11-23-2003, 01:24 PM
RainForestCafe. (I don't like their Tonga toast)

Bobbi:D

castleri
11-23-2003, 01:46 PM
RainForest Cafe - There is one at Animal Kingdom and one at Downtown Disney-

jaysue
11-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Got it

;)
thanks

:wave2:

TarraLee
11-23-2003, 09:46 PM
we like RFC, and I absolutely love Tangerine Cafe, much to the dismay of EVERYONE else in my family!

One restaurant that gets rave reviews that I really didn't care for was the Crystal Palace breakfast. I like Chef Mickey's dinner alot, I guess there's just something about eggs on a buffet table that doesn't work for me...

BonnieA
11-24-2003, 06:24 AM
Some people slam Hollywood & Vine but I like it. I'm also a big fan of Akershus in Norway.