PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Ice Cream Social

Tromba
11-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Has anyone attended the Ice Cream Social at the Garden Grill restaurant at Epcot lately? I've read a lot of negative reviews on the Deb's Unofficial site, but most of them were from 2000 and earlier. The negatives mainly had to do with lack of character attention. Also, is Mickey the only character present at the social these days?

Thanks, Art

suebo
11-11-2003, 08:41 AM
We want to take our 3 yr. old there in Dec. for her birthday celebration. All 3 of my DD's love icecream and would be lovin' life. We're on a tight budget so this was my way of combining her birthday celebration and a character meal cheaply. Will we be disappointed? I can't imagine not having a good time. Ice cream and Mickey and having everyone sing happy birthday. What's not to love?

Any comments?

Eeyore1954
11-11-2003, 09:12 AM
The Ice Cream Social seems to be either a hit or miss. My DW and I enjoyed it very much. The ice cream was in a waffle cone, attached to a chocolate chip cookie with more chocolate, plus some gummy worms on it. It was a nice treat. Keep in mind if you order beverages, they are extra.

Character interaction for us was good. We saw Farmer Mickey, Pluto, Chip n' Dale.

It is a nice break at Epcot.

CEDmom
11-11-2003, 09:30 AM
If you ask my DD (now 4) what her favorite part of our May vacation was she'll tell you "having ice cream with Mickey". DH and I also enjoyed it. Here's a excerpt from my trip report:

Here’s what we got for $25 including tip:

2 adult ice cream treats – 1 large chocolate chip cookie “glued” to plate with melted chocolate topped with a large waffle cone filled with good vanilla bean ice cream “glued” to cookie with chocolate; rolled vanilla/chocolate cookie and wedge of chocolate stuck into ice cream.

1 kid’s ice cream treat – large chocolate chip cookie “glued” to plate with melted chocolate and topped with large scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on which sat a chocolate dipped ice cream cone hat to resemble a clown. The clown’s face was done with candy pieces.

2 large glasses of ice water (free)

1 kids souvenir cup with ice water (free)

While enjoying these treats we were visited by Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto. We got lots of pictures and autographs. Our DD had a blast with the characters and the ice cream.

clh2
11-11-2003, 06:55 PM
We also had farmer Mickey, Chip and Dale and Pluto.

The ice cream sundaes were good...it was not crowded at all, so there was plenty of time to interact with the characters. Be sure to ask Mickey where Minnie is, and be sure to question Chip and Dale on which of the two is "naughtier" than the other.

My only advice - be sure to remember that the restaurant is the Garden Grill. I knew we had a PS for 3:10, but I forgot the name of the restaurant. Not many CM's know about this character event at Epcot - even the CM in the information booth. Once we finally arrived at the building where the Ice Cream social was - the CM at the door of the building didn't know about the ice cream social.

swankybeth
11-11-2003, 07:37 PM
I've done the ice cream social twice (last time was August 2002) and had a wonderful experience both times. The ice cream is great, of course, and the character interaction was very good as well. Both times I saw Farmer Mickey, Chip, Dale, and Pluto. I'd definitely recommend doing the ice cream social, especially because it is by far the lowest price character meal you can do!

bunnyfoo
11-11-2003, 08:08 PM
We went in May and had a great time :) There were hardly any other diners in the restaurant and the characters came by a bunch times. They were really playful and posed for a bunch of pictures. I also enjoyed the ice cream... but I have to warn you that there is a lot of it :)

jimmiej
11-11-2003, 09:21 PM
Been twice. Great, I repeat great, character interaction both times, once just DW & I, once with DW & two teen DDs. Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale. Oh yea, the ice cream wasn't bad either. :wave2:

suebo
11-13-2003, 10:41 AM
That's it - we're going! It sounds wonderful. My kids will be wowed with just the ice cream treat so when they see the characters, they will have a blast. I'm going to keep this as a surprise for them. Thanks for all the replys. I'll give my own report of the ice cream social when I get home.

Sue

PigletsPal
11-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Went to this last week, the ice cream was very good. But Mickey, and pluto just kept walking by us and not stopping, so I said out loud I guess were not getting any pictures with Mickey today and before I knew it guess who showed up at our table. We also did the re-hitching and it wasn't all I had hoped it to be. But I'm glad we did it this time.

mickeysaver
11-15-2003, 08:01 AM
September, 2002, we had a blast at the Ice Cream Social. We did have to wait a bit to be seated and then had to wait a bit for the ice cream and then had to wait a bit longer for the characters, but trust me, we had GREAT character interaction. Mickey made my honey kiss his nose before he left, that alone was priceless. Pluto helped us to get what I think of as the best picture of us from that vacation. Chip and Dale, OMG, they put on such a show. Dale was particuarly naughty. He got into an open flap of our backpack and proceeded to call around on our walkie talkie. Mickey was called in and it was just a hoot.

So, yeah, we loved the Ice Cream Social. I hope that we can do it again one day. It was one of the highlights of our trip last year. Mickey