PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' Over California or Florida???

Welsh *Disney* Girlz
11-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Emma:

I heard that Soarin' Over California is coming to WDW, which is great because I really enjoyed that attraction (except for the fact I thought it was a bit too short).
But won't it be Soarin' Over Florida??? I mean, why have California in Florida when you can have California in California and Florida in Florida? (if that makes any sense)

wdwguide
11-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Believe me, you wouldn't want Soarin' Over Florida. California is much, MUCH more scenic.
And yes, the attraction will be Soarin' Over California.

wtg2000
11-01-2003, 06:05 PM
It's called saving money.

Peter Pirate
11-02-2003, 08:32 AM
wtg, it very well may be called saving money, but as Guide alluded to, would YOU seriously want to see 'Soarin' Over Florida'??? If these were the two choices, we're better off with the original...pirate:

Grog
11-02-2003, 12:53 PM
I can see where Soarin' over California would be better than Soarin' over Florida. Maybe when they get around to making a new movie, it should be Soarin' over the USA.

searlproudbottom
11-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey wtg2000
Do I see a little jealousy here?

Searl Proudbottom
Grass Valley, California

Stepharoonie!
11-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Ooh, Soarin' Over Florida. Lotsa sand, trees, and....not much else. Just kidding :) At any rate, it would be refreshing to have something like Soarin' Over California here. I heard it was going to be built at Epcot...is this it's new home?

Lisa P.
11-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Maybe it's just me but I really look forward to seeing Soarin' Over California!!! We're an east coast family who normally travel by car. AZ is in our near future but CA is further back on the shelf of our plans. I'm sure there are many folks from Europe and the eastern U.S. and Canada who have never been to California either.

Maybe an attraction like this would be just what it takes to whet our appetites for a trip west. That's the kind of feeling I get when visiting the films in Epcot's China, Canada and France pavilions. Wouldn't hurt me one bit for my DH to get a little taste of California!!! ;) If they change it later to Soarin' Over America, that would probably suit the location of The Land better. Meanwhile, I sincerely hope we get to see Soarin' Over CA when it's here! :D

wtg2000
11-03-2003, 10:43 AM
It's Soarin Over California because it's Disney's California Adventure. But it's not EFCOT (Exp. Florida Comm...) so it doesn't have to be either one. It could be great places across the world. However, that would entail considerable cost.Do I see a little jealousy here? Um, over what?

Evil Princess
11-03-2003, 12:09 PM
I don't know, I realize that Soarin' Over Florida would be boring, but Soarin' Over California was for Disney's California Adventure. Just seems like they found an easy way to save money on that one.

I don't see how Soarin' Over California fits into Epcot. Maybe if it was Soarin' Over the US, but this doesn't fit in with future world.

California is getting a new version of TOT, so how about we get a new version of SOC?

Planogirl
11-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Evil Princess
I don't know, I realize that Soarin' Over Florida would be boring, but Soarin' Over California was for Disney's California Adventure. Just seems like they found an easy way to save money on that one.

I don't see how Soarin' Over California fits into Epcot. Maybe if it was Soarin' Over the US, but this doesn't fit in with future world.

California is getting a new version of TOT, so how about we get a new version of SOC?
Be careful when applying logic to these things, you never win. ;)

wtg2000
11-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I don't see how Soarin' Over California fits into Epcot. Maybe if it was Soarin' Over the US, but this doesn't fit in with future world. It's like when you pour yourself a glass of orange juice and later find the juice carton in the cupboard and the empty glass in the refrigerator. It happens, but there's no rational explanation for it.

Evil Princess
11-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Planogirl
Be careful when applying logic to these things, you never win. ;)

Silly me, I forgot that we're dealing with current day Disney ;)

daannzzz
11-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Soarin is a really pleasent and nice ride. I personally consider it a great D-ticket. The views you get are an interesting combination of spectacular shots and rather generic scenes. There is a great opening shot of the Golden gate bridge. There is some good - great fottage of Yosemite. There is a shot of Lake Tahoe though you can't really tell. It is a pretty shot. There are some shots of a generic river, deserts, oceans, orange groves, golf course that are nice though not what I would consider compelling reasons to visit California. There are some good though not beautiful, IMHO views of the navy ship at San Diego and a oddly speeded up shot of LA at night. It is an odd combination of scenes that doesn't show the most spectacular scenes of California but it does give you a good idea of some of the more general areas.

Peter Pirate
11-03-2003, 09:04 PM
daannzzz..."D" ticket? Are you kidding?

It doesn't show the most spectacular parts of California? What praytell is more spectacular than Yosemite, the PCH, wine country, SF, etc...I honestly don't know.

IMO, this is an "E" ticket in its truest sense. The first time you ride you feel like you're hangliding, your senses are alive with the sights, feelings and scents of the areas being explored...In short it IS a journey.

I admit that subsequent rides devalue the thrill but the initial reaction of that first ride has to be one of the greatest accomplishments in Disney history.
pirate:

daannzzz
11-04-2003, 08:59 AM
It does show some of the spectacular parts of California but also some kind of generic shots that could be anywhere in the west. Personaly I never felt like I was hang glinding. The best part of the ride is when the room goes dark, the music starts and the seats swoop up into the air. The rest is a very pleasent movie that you are hanging in. I know the majority of people rate this and E. I just disagree.

wtg2000
11-04-2003, 10:20 AM
The rest is a very pleasent movie that you are hanging in. Sounds like stadium seating without the floor! Just curious. Does the film have narration or any kind of story? Is there a reason you're hanggliding over the state?

daannzzz
11-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Imagine a Omnidome theater on it's side. The hanging seats move up off the floor (a very exhilerating feeling) and into the center of the omnidome. There is no narration but an incredibly wonderful score by Jerry Goldsmith (which is one of the most successfull portions of the whole attraction ). There is a series of scenes of different parts of California and there may or may not be a logical sequence, though the last few scenes are in southern California and end up at Disneyland. I just read a description from someone who had been on it 121 times and mentioned that the fisrt scene starts in the morning and the scenes progress in time as they go ending at night at Disneyland. I never noticed that part as it is subtle.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/california-adventure/goldenstate/condorflats/attractions/soarin/soarin3.php

Doug123
11-06-2003, 08:16 AM
I still don't understand why specifically California? Why not Idaho, maybe Hawaii, or perhaps Michigan (my state)? I understand that California is diverse, but wouldn't it be better to include highlights from all of America?

Either way, I'm looking forward to it (though it would have been my wish that the Disneyland attraction that came to Disney World was the Indiana Jones ride!).

wtg2000
11-06-2003, 09:01 AM
Why not Idaho? That would involve sending up camera crews to film the rest of America. I wonder if Soarin had been in the plans for Disney's America? Then they would have done that, but since it was done for DCA it's only California. I just hope they come up with a good storyline to explain why we are watching only California.

ohanafamily
11-06-2003, 10:41 AM
Howdy Y'all, I've been hiding in the community board and just snuck over here to see what is happening.

We went to California last weekend; here is the link to my trip report, it is coming out slow but we rode Soarin' several times.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=461820

The first time you ride Soarin' you feel like you are riding on a chair suspended from a hang glider. I actually lifted my feet when we buzzed the "Generic Lake". It is an incredible ride, and while it every time you ride it you see more of the mechanism...it is definitely an E-ticket ride.

As far as Soarin' over Florida, I could see South Beach and a few other places. What would be more in order would be Soarin' around the world. The IMAX movie is quite expensive to make, so I figure it will be changed when they can work a movie tie-in to justify the cost (like they did with Dinosaur!!!)

:bounce:

Peter Pirate
11-06-2003, 11:02 AM
I could see South Beach and a few other places...
As I pointed out earlier, I think the bare breasts on South Beach would pretty much exempt Disney from cosidering it for a flyover...

pirate:

wtg2000
11-06-2003, 01:05 PM
As I pointed out earlier, I think the bare breasts on South Beach would pretty much exempt Disney from cosidering it for a flyover... "Come on kids."
"Ah Dad, do we have to ride Soarin' again?"
"Just once more."
"But this will be 16 straight times."

Judy from Boise
11-08-2003, 11:34 AM
There are some shots of a generic river, deserts, oceans, orange groves,

I suppose they are only generic if you don't recognize them ? As someone who grew up in Ventura county ....trust me when the Camarillo orange groves surrounded by eculiptus tress flashed onto the screen I was flooded with nostalgia !
That shot was not generic !

Bob O
11-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Come on Peter, bar breasts is a perfect reason to have a film about FLA!!!! Escpecially with the most up to date camera's with zoom lenses!!!! Talk about a attraction with re-rideability!!!!!!

Micca
11-15-2003, 09:52 PM
We just experienced SOC last weekend for the first (2) times:earsboy: WDW is our "home" park and we will welcome SOC there. It will fit in nicely as one of the premiere attractions at WDW. To argue the location of the video is like saying "why not Pirates of the South Pacific?"

sters
11-17-2003, 05:06 PM
From what I've heard, this will be in the Land pavillion at Epcot. So how connected the film is to land? I have no clue but we're seeing if from the AIR as I understand it. Maybe over time, they'll show the whole country. Sounds interesting. Just hope we won't have to lose Food Rocks in the process, since that's a family favorite.

Grog
11-17-2003, 07:21 PM
Just hope we won't have to lose Food Rocks in the process
Sorry to have to tell you, but apparently Food Rocks will be closing soon as that is where they will be building the entrance to Soarin '

Just checked... Food Rocks will be closing on January 3rd.