PDA

View Full Version : Brother Bear Reviews...

wdwguide
10-26-2003, 12:08 AM
Well, the first Brother Bear reviews are coming in, and they sure don't look pretty. Those collected on Rottentomatoes.com give it an average rating of 4.8/10, and just 5 out of 23 reviews thus far are positive. They seem to agree that the film is way too generic and derived, which is exactly what I was thinking would happen.
I wonder what will happen if this film bombs... I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped doing these types of animated films altogether for a while.

Scratch42
10-26-2003, 07:10 AM
It's good family fun!

What not enough T & A for them!:rolleyes: They can't handle an actual storyline! Actually having something to teach!

It's about time Disney went back to their roots!

my2cw!

Scratch
pirate:

HB2K
10-26-2003, 07:34 AM
Ah movie reviews through the eyes of a snowglobe!

I'll take the family out to see this...but I'm not holding out a ton of hope from the comercials I've seen....

Disneybag
10-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Any idea why Disney has left the formula of having CHARACTERS sing? Why do we have Phil Collins singing background all of a sudden?!? I think Mulan is the last one that actually had characters singing. They really need to get back to that. Atlantis had a really good story, but I'm positive that it's the lack of music that kept it from doing well in the theatre.....any opinions/ideas?

*Robin*
10-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Ebert and Roeper gave it tow thumbs up last night on tv. They said most people won't get the spiritual aspect of it, but it was a great movie.

Maybe that will give it a boost...

wdwguide
10-26-2003, 01:37 PM
In any case, Scary Movie 3 just made almost $50 million this weekend. If BB bombs it shouldn't hurt the studio too bad with all the big hits they've had this year. And with the Lion King, Nemo, and Pirates DVD releases they'll make a ton of $$$ as well.

KNWVIKING
10-26-2003, 01:50 PM
Scary Movie 3 is a Disney flick ??

smchan
10-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Scary Movie 3 is a Disney flick ??

Miramax, which is a part of Disney.

Other films in the current top 10 and falling under Disney's reach are Kill Bill (Miramax) and Under the Tuscan Sun (Buena Vista).

Sam

KNWVIKING
10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Where does Dimension fit in ?? That's who Boxofficemojo shows as the distributor. Is Dim just another Disney subsidiary ?

smchan
10-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by KNWVIKING
Where does Dimension fit in ?? That's who Boxofficemojo shows as the distributor. Is Dim just another Disney subsidiary ?

Not sure what Dimension's relationship is to Disney, though I see their website points directly to Miramax, so I would suppose it's another company under Disney's or Miramax's ownership.

Sam

All Aboard
10-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Scratch42, rottentomatoes is merely a collection of all the major movie reviewers' reviews. It really has nothing to do with the amount of T&A in a movie. Right now Brother Bear has a rating of 22% positive reviews, which is very low. It will possibly rise as more reviews come in, but maybe not.

Some recent Disney and Pixar comparisons:

Finding Nemo 99% positive
Lilo & Stitch 85%
Treasure Planet 73%
Monsters, Inc. 94%
Toy Story II 100%
Emporer's New Groove 82%
Fantasia 2000 86%
Tarzan 89%
Mulan 95%

Some other not so recent:

Little Mermaid 94%
Beauty and the Beast 93%
Aladdin 95%
Lion King 90%
Hunchback 77%
Hercules 89%

Not too much T&A in those if I remember correctly.

A few lower scoring:

Pocahontas 58%
Atlantis 49%

Not as bad as 22%, though. Even Gawdawful Sinbad garnered a 46%. I sure hope this film turns out to be better than that - and that the ratings improve.

Planogirl
10-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Wow, those numbers are bad! And to be bluntly honest, the ads have given me a "been there done that" feeling.

However I still have hope for this film in spite of Rotten Tomatoes and those ads. But then what do I know, I liked Sinbad and have defended it ad nauseum. ;)

Testtrack321
10-26-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm not surprised at all. It looks like a crappy movie. Nothing original. Looks like the Lion King in British Columbia.

*Robin*
10-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Do you really think it looks CRAPPY?

I think it looks fairly sweet. It's a new generation Lion King (Though it doesn't really seem to have a close story line) I think it will do fine. (I know, fine is relative)

I'm reserving judgement until I see it.

patsal
10-27-2003, 09:18 AM
I saw it on Saturday, and I liked it very much. Koda does sing in this film as well. For the first time since Lion King I felt they really got it right, great animation, a good story line, perfect comedy relief and music. Similiar to the Lion King in the spiritual aspects, but really not TLK. See it for yourself before you pass judgment.

jlambrig
10-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Dimension is a division of Miramax.

Originally posted by HB2K
Ah movie reviews through the eyes of a snowglobe!

That's right, keep putting other posters down, that's what we need more of here.

HB2K
10-27-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by jlambrig
Dimension is a division of Miramax.

That's right, keep putting other posters down, that's what we need more of here.

Hey how about the original poster's suggestion (or name calling) that the reviews at RottenTomatoes have no idea what they're talking about and they're just upset since the movie has no T&A?

It cuts both ways.

DisneyKidds
10-27-2003, 04:59 PM
Hey how about the original poster's suggestion (or name calling) that the reviews at RottenTomatoes have no idea what they're talking about and they're just upset since the movie has no T&A?
Hmm.......a silly knock on an unknowing insulated group of reviewers who will never take place in a discussion on this site.............................vs. a direct response and put down to someone who is part of this community and expressed an opinion in this anaonymous, though much less insulated, forum after seeing the movie. Sorry HB, I thought your comment was shi**y and uncalled for :(.

Peter Pirate
10-27-2003, 06:30 PM
Kidds, exactly my sentiment.

Perhaps BB will be the same type of lousy bomb that POC turned out to be...Would that change anybodys opinion on Disney's abilities either? Nah. pirate:

HB2K
10-27-2003, 07:57 PM
When posters tell us to disregard a well known movie review source because it's not saying something that fits into their lemming view of the Disney company will generate the same response from me every time.

I've been issued put downs here MANY times...to the point that I was publicly told to go away.

Telling someone their view is QUITE biased isn't anything new around here....some people just don't like it when the tables are turned....

KNWVIKING
10-27-2003, 08:58 PM
***"I will not buy into the rah rah defenses...and posters telling us to disregard a well known movie review source because it's not saying something that fits into their lemming view of the Disney company will generate the same response from me every time."***

You don't have to agree with the posters comment. But you went right for the "Snowglobe" remark rather then post the track record of RottenToms as another poster did.

Planogirl
10-28-2003, 01:02 AM
HB2K, I agree with some of your sentiments but people around here get a bit annoyed by the snowglobe reference now. I believe that it's been banned in fact.

I also like boxofficemojo and from what I've seen they've just disagreed about the movie so far. I need to go check them out again.

MelissathePooh
10-28-2003, 11:52 AM
HB2K,

So is anyone who like anything about Disney a lemming? Just looking for clarification.

Planogirl - yes the term "snowglobe" was banned as it has been used for no other purpose than to insult people.

HB2K
10-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Melissa-

Do I think everyone who stands behind Disney are lemmings?

No.

Do I think someone who tries to discount a respected website's reports in the manner that the original poster did because it doesn't fit with their opinion about the film is a lemming?

Yes.

All Aboard
10-28-2003, 01:40 PM
Peter Pirate,

POC reviewed ok. Rottentomatoes scored the reviews 78% favorable. That's not bad. My reaction in the case of BB is astonishment. Even Disney animateds that performed poorly at the box office (Atlantis, Treasure Planet) did considerably better in the cumulated reviews than has Brother Bear. As I stated earlier, as more reviews roll in, the % may climb, but it is still below 30% favorable.

My fear - if BB does very poorly, Mike pulls the plug on Feature Animation. Is that a rational fear? I don't know.

Peter Pirate
10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
First off, HBK, the original poster didn't say anything negative about rottontomatoes or suggest anything that could be construed as a 'homer' opinion...Further, if it was scratch42's comment that has your panties in a wad then I'd suggest two of those little blue pills as this was about as generic as a 'homer' comment can be...But since that time you've called us 'snowglobers,' 'lemmings' and now 'cheerleaders.' If I didn't know better I'd think you were fishing again...

GCurling, there isn't any disputing the RT's information but this first salvo was based on 10 reviews, right? Hardly a iron clad harbinger of things to come. But if the reviews are right and the movie is bad then yes it may signal the death of an era and that would be too bad.

But, I think the movie looks great and the soundtrack sounds great and Koda should sell lots of plush and the McKenzie Brothers are a hoot...But for my real opinion you'll have to wait until Disney tells me what to think:eek:...

pirate:

HB2K
10-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Pirate-

You wrote:

Further, if it was scratch42's comment that has your panties in a wad then I'd suggest two of those little blue pills as this was about as generic as a 'homer' comment can be

First off let me clarify my statement of original poster. I was referring to scratch42...not wdwguide.

And Pirate...Sorry but I'm not apologizing.

If you make a statement telling people "Don't listen to them" and "what's the matter...not enough T&A for them" then I'm going to make a similar blanket statement.

I honestly hope Disney does well with this. I don't want to see them drop out of the business entirely save a few Sat. Morning quality cartoons....so don't let anyone else know this but....

(Whisper)
I'm going to see the movie.
(/Whisper)

You see I actually agree with Scratch about not basing your decision to attend or skip a movie soley based on movie reviews. But I do take issue with telling people those numbers don't count when trying to discuss objectivly whether these numbers have meaning (and based on gcurling's insight) they historically do.

MelissathePooh
10-28-2003, 04:27 PM
It would be nice to see replies and responses to posts that don't have to have some sort of personal attack, name calling or insult in them.

All Aboard
10-28-2003, 05:27 PM
GCurling, there isn't any disputing the RT's information but this first salvo was based on 10 reviews, right? Hardly a iron clad harbinger of things to come.

The review count is currently 8 fresh, 20 rotten - total of 28 reviews. So, yes, it's too early to hang a hat on the reviews that are in to date. A wide release like this will have 125 - 175 reviews consolidated on Rotten Tomatoes in the end. While Ebert and Roeper have chimed in, most of the major newspapers have not.

Sarangel
10-28-2003, 06:13 PM
Sorry I missed this one for a bit... You all know better than to start name-calling. I don't know of any words that are "banned" except swear-words. I do, however, expect you all to maintain a polite conversation, which this thread has failed to do.

Since this has wandered **waaayyy** off topic, I'm closing it.

Sarangel