PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Disney Visa's "Reward Dollars"

Beth
10-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Sorry if this is old news ... but I just got this in the mail yesterday.

Disney Visa has created a new way to distribute its"Disney Dream Reward Dollars" earned thru purchases with their Visa Card.

Instead of mailing certificates and/or gift cards as they had previously, they now will issue a single card with a magnetic strip, which will be "reloadable." Then, when you redeem your rewards, they'll be added to the card you already have.

They have also added new places at which you can use your dollars. Previously, you had to choose if you wanted dollars issued for WDW, Disneyland, or the Disney Store. Now, in addition to those three, you can use them at the Disney Catalogue, Disney on Ice, Disney Magazine, Disney Cruise Line, Disneystore.com, Disney Interactive, Walt Disney Collectors Society, and Disney Movie Club by Mail.

I think these changes are for the better. I guess - with these changes - you will no longer be forced to choose "where" you wanted to use your dollars when you ordered them. I recently ordered $140 - and mistakenly got them for the Disney Store instead of WDW, as I had intended. No big deal - I can just buy my ticket media there, instead. But one card to use anywhere will be much more convenient!

KNWVIKING
10-08-2003, 08:52 AM
I guess it's going to act as a Disney debit card which I think is a good thing.

One assumption I'm making, but wasn't exactly spelled out in the mailing, is that you can continually "reload" the card as you earn rewards without actually having used any dollars moved previously. In other words: I get the card. I have earned $120.00. I move that 120 onto the card. I don't use it. I earn another $40.00. I'm assuming I can simply move that 40 onto my existing balance. Seem like a fair asumption? Technically I'm not "reloading" a spent card, I'm just adding to it.

emmagata
10-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Beth
Sorry if this is old news ... but I just got this in the mail yesterday.

Disney Visa has created a new way to distribute its"Disney Dream Reward Dollars" earned thru purchases with their Visa Card.

Instead of mailing certificates and/or gift cards as they had previously, they now will issue a single card with a magnetic strip, which will be "reloadable." Then, when you redeem your rewards, they'll be added to the card you already have.

They have also added new places at which you can use your dollars. Previously, you had to choose if you wanted dollars issued for WDW, Disneyland, or the Disney Store. Now, in addition to those three, you can use them at the Disney Catalogue, Disney on Ice, Disney Magazine, Disney Cruise Line, Disneystore.com, Disney Interactive, Walt Disney Collectors Society, and Disney Movie Club by Mail.

I think these changes are for the better. I guess - with these changes - you will no longer be forced to choose "where" you wanted to use your dollars when you ordered them. I recently ordered $140 - and mistakenly got them for the Disney Store instead of WDW, as I had intended. No big deal - I can just buy my ticket media there, instead. But one card to use anywhere will be much more convenient!

Pardon me for being nosey, but if you ordered $140 worth wouldn't that have been on a balance of $14000?

Did you buy a car? :)

Beth
10-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I'm not offended by your question...

First of all - we use the card for EVERYTHING. But, the major thing is...

We are in the process of remodeling a home. New flooring, new bathrooms, new kitcen...

I've also used the card a lot to purchase computers and other items for my employer.

There's no question that we could have done very well with a frequent-flyer card but, with a new house - we won't be flying any time soon! :)

raidermatt
10-10-2003, 02:36 PM
One assumption I'm making, but wasn't exactly spelled out in the mailing, is that you can continually "reload" the card as you earn rewards without actually having used any dollars moved previously. I don't think so. I only got through part of the fine print, but I did read that the card has an expiration date. I assume (isn't there a saying about assuming?) that date is embossed on the card. If so, that would mean a new card would be issued with each redemption.

palmtreegirl
10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
I was thinking of getting a card but I would want to use like my Amex and pay it off every month, could I do this without being charged interest?

Thanks!

anniet
10-11-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by palmtreegirl
I was thinking of getting a card but I would want to use like my Amex and pay it off every month, could I do this without being charged interest?

Thanks!

Absolutely!

Chess
10-11-2003, 09:47 AM
I just my reward card yesterday and it is embossed with an expiration date of 12/04. The paperwork states that ""Your Disney Rewards Card is valid until the expiration date printed on it. Any Disney Dream Reward Dollars on your Disney Rewards Card not used by the expiration date will be forfeited."

It says you may transfer additional reward dollars to any active Disney Rewards card but on a separate line states "as a precaution only request as many Disney Dream Reward Dollars as you plan to redeem. Disney Dream Reward Dollars not used by expiration date will be forfeited."

I'm planning to spend all mine in a few short weeks at WDW so I am loading them up.

KNWVIKING
10-11-2003, 08:10 PM
... for the info.

I'm disappointed with the expiration date. I'd rather they treat it like a true debit card so I could always have my reward dollars on hand at any given time. Oh well, I'll just keep banking them.