PDA

View Full Version : The Disney Difference

Another Voice
10-07-2003, 12:58 PM
The MSNBC website has a review posted for today's release of THe Lion King on DVD (http://www.msnbc.com/news/976693.asp?0si=-). The review gives high praise for the entire package, although watching Arnold run around my state for the last week singing 'I Just Can't Wait to be King' has taken some of the luster off the movie for me, this release should be a blockbuster.

Buried deep inside the article is one of the best statements I have ever read about what made Disney so special:

"The filmmakers seemed to cram almost an entire career’s worth of sweat, toil and imagination into one wonderful picture, as opposed to the industry norm, where less dedicated moviemakers take a single effort and try to squeeze a whole career out of it.

Perhaps one day again soon those filmakers, and all of Disney, will be allowed to indulge that kind of passion again.

wdwguide
10-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Interesting, considering that most movie fans feel ripped off by this DVD since it doesn't contain the original theatrical cut as advertised, and the extras appear a bit thin. I just bought mine today and haven't had a chance to watch it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of the set.

DancingBear
10-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by wdwguide
Interesting, considering that most movie fans feel ripped off by this DVD since it doesn't contain the original theatrical cut as advertised, and the extras appear a bit thin....The MSNBC story says it does include both versions of the film.

SnackyStacky
10-07-2003, 03:42 PM
I just cracked mine open, and indeed both the special edition and original theatrical release are on the disc. And the extras seem to be quite plentiful, but I haven't had a chance to search through them either.

wdwguide
10-07-2003, 04:16 PM
The original version is *NOT* on the disc! What they call the "Original Cut" is in fact the IMAX version minus the Morning Report song. That is the only difference. Otherwise, both versions have the changes made for the IMAX version. And that is what upsets some people.
I would have preferred that real theatrical cut, but for 15 bucks I am not going to complain.

PKS44
10-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Did the take out the S-E-X spelled out in the leaves when Simba plops down on the cliff ledge?

wdwguide
10-07-2003, 04:25 PM
I believe that they did "censor" the SFX dust.

airlarry!
10-08-2003, 08:26 AM
Kevin Krock gave it 'best DVD release of the year' if I read it right.

www.mouseplanet.com

He said the Disney company is 3 for 3 on their last platinum releases...

petecaler
10-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by wdwguide
The original version is *NOT* on the disc! What they call the "Original Cut" is in fact the IMAX version minus the Morning Report song. That is the only difference. Otherwise, both versions have the changes made for the IMAX version. And that is what upsets some people.
I would have preferred that real theatrical cut, but for 15 bucks I am not going to complain.

pre-ordered at toys r'us $10 and got a plush...

emmagata
10-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Picked up my copy today at the Disney Store. I got it for a birthday present(nice gift for a 45 year old!!). I also got the 4 lithograms.

Haven't viewed the DVD yet but the inside cover does say "original theartrical". I really wouldn't know if it was or not. I've never seen the movie. Well, I have seen bits and pieces of it but not the whole thing.

SnackyStacky
10-08-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm actually not at ALL happy with Disney on this release, but not for anything to do with the actual set.

There's an offer for a $5 rebate if you've upgraded from the originaly 1994 video release. The only problem is that it had to be purchased anytime after October 7, 2003. So those that pre-ordered from the Disney Store seem to be excluded.

I figured I'd still give it a shot, and sent in the receipt I got when I pre-ordered, and the $0 balance receipt I got when I picked it up.

Which actually, I didn't get when I picked it up. I asked for one, and the manager on duty gave me an attitude and told me I couldn't have a receipt. I had to call today, complain, and got one from another customer who didn't want it. Oy.

*Robin*
10-09-2003, 04:46 AM
We made a day of watching both Swiss Family Robinson, and Lion King. (A day of Adventure, right along with a nature hike afterwards to talk about it!)

AV you're right completely, as usual. Even my 7yo said he wished they made more movies like SFR. And I must say, both are real tug at your heart emotional memories for me...(LK and SFR) but the product pre Eisner, which seemed much more consistant, and the product post Eisner's LK seem sorely lacking in comparison.

I did like Pirates quite a lot...but watching SFR again after all these years makes me think what even that movie COULD have been, had they put in 1960's effort with 2003 technology....An amazing thought in my book.

Why has it continually gone downhill? (I know, bottom line, bottom line) Is he counting on people seeing a movie just because it's a Disney brand? Why would he destroy the core of imagineers while still releasing Vault Disney when it's so easy to compare then and now?

Ok, it's only 4:30 am here...woke up and couldn't go back to sleep, so forgive me if this makes no sense...

:blush: Robin

DancingBear
10-09-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by SnackyStacky
I'm actually not at ALL happy with Disney on this release, but not for anything to do with the actual set.

There's an offer for a $5 rebate if you've upgraded from the originaly 1994 video release. The only problem is that it had to be purchased anytime after October 7, 2003. So those that pre-ordered from the Disney Store seem to be excluded.Do you always get upset whenever something you bought goes on sale the next week? Going to the grocery store must really painful.

I got a pleasant surprise when I went to pick up my preordered LK copy from Toys R Us last night (I got the Geoffrey plush also when preordered)---cashier told me I could get another Disney DVD for $5. I picked up Emperor's New Groove.

SnackyStacky
10-09-2003, 09:26 AM
Do you always get upset whenever something you bought goes on sale the next week? Going to the grocery store must really painful

Geez. God forbid someone express an opinion lest they be berated.

First of all, a rebate is something completely different from a sale. A rebate is the return of part of a payment. A sale is when something is sold for a reduced rate.

For giving the Disney Store my business, I got neither a sale, nor a rebate. Had I bought the set at Wal Mart, I could have paid a total of $10. It's on SALE this week for $15 and an additional $5 REBATE.

AND, this ONLY excludes those that pre-ordered. Anyone else that walks in and purchases it from the Disney Store is eligible. Don't they want to ENCOURAGE pre-orders? I hope not, cause I won't pre-order from them again, nor will I purchase from them again.

wdwguide
10-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Pre-ordering titles like this is always a bad idea, because you can usually get them cheaper at B&M stores the week they are released. I'd suggest returning the DVD to the Disney store and re-buying it from Circuit City or Toys R Us.
What I am kind of upset about is that you need to cut up the DVD cover to get the rebate, which I certainly won't do. They should put the POP tags on the inside of the DVD case like so many others are doing now.

*Robin*
10-09-2003, 11:11 AM
What does everyone's buying statistics have to do with AV's original post?

Just curious.

SnackyStacky
10-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Mine had nothing to do with it. I just wanted to vent, and rather than start a new thread, it seemed to fit in with the Lion King concept. :)