PDA

View Full Version : It was fun while it lasted

Walt's Frozen Head
10-01-2003, 11:37 PM
Rushing out the door.
MSNBC link (http://www.msnbc.com/news/974428.asp?0cm=c30&cp1=1)

WDWdude
10-02-2003, 02:20 AM
WHO CARES!!! This is the Rumors Board, lets get to some good rumors...anyone?

CaipiraBob
10-02-2003, 04:57 AM
Wow. Rush surrendered faster than a Frenchman on this one. The drug allegations aren't helping either. Too bad, I thought his his insights were pretty good and more entertaining than the other guys. They even agreed with him on the McNabb issue. He was brought in to create controversy and boy did he live up to it, though!

crusader
10-02-2003, 05:38 AM
He was stupid. This probably wasn't voluntary. Hopefully now our local news will attempt to report on a real top story. What a ridiculous circus.

"Hey, look everybody, there's the private plane landing with Rush on it. Maybe if we stand at the window with our camera crew and film live for 20 minutes the door will open. Remember, this is an exclusive you won't see on any other news channel!"

Golter
10-02-2003, 09:25 AM
Al Frankin had it right..Rush is a Big Fat Idiot.

Golter
10-02-2003, 09:29 AM
No, but that was the title of Frankin's Book

HB2K
10-02-2003, 09:58 AM
...I wonder when Dusty Baker plans on resigning?
(Nodding my head in agreement with you Scoop)

Golter
10-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Frankin is a Satirist, he gets paid to be insensitive. Rush seriously believes that what he said was not a racist statement. He stated that somehow all of Donovan McNabbs accolades were earned in part because he was black.. And he offered no proof to back up his statement.

The easiest way to spot a racist: He's the guy saying "I'm not a racist"

emmagata
10-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Golter

The easiest way to spot a racist: He's the guy saying "I'm not a racist"

R i i i i ght.

Golter
10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
The forum that he was in was no place for that comment, Satire has it's time and place and can easily be distinguished from serious comments. Rush believes what he said.

Golter
10-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Dusty Baker is just as ignorant. Saturday Night Live is a satire show, if what they did was done on the 6:00 news it would be different.

I listen to Rush on a regular basis and he is very enertaining.

Walt's Frozen Head
10-02-2003, 11:27 AM
There is definitely a fine line between satire and boorish behavior.

The first season or so of Beavis and Butthead was very good... an excellent satire of the next overstimulated and understimulating generation of adolescent. But the task of writing good satire proved to much after Mike Judge left, and the show became a celebration of stupidity instead of a satire of it. It became dumb and unwatchable almost overnight.

Reno 911 is either shorts-stainingly funny or disturbingly anti-establishment depending on whether one accepts "policework" as a legitimate target of satire or not.

I made a cigarette joke at the funeral of my grandfather, who died of cancer... that got mixed results.

A certain amount depends on what an audience considers "fair game" for satire... and perhaps a more important amount depends on how willing that audience is to believe that the speaker "is only joking," after all.

I find it easy to laugh at Al Franken: no matter what horrible thing he says, because of his job, I don't believe he's serious about it taking effect or it having some "purer truth" behind it. I find it difficult to laugh at Rush Limbaugh, because of his job, I believe he's on a mission to convince and coerce, not to cause laughter.

With Franken, it's easy to think "he doesn't BELIEVE that stuff, he said it because it would be funny." With Limbaugh, it's difficult to come to the conclusion that he does not believe with a fiery resolve in the truth of things he says.

For the record, I think Rush Limbaugh is a human cartoon that too many people consider to be a source of wisdom and sanity.

For the record, I do not think what Limbaugh said was racist in and of itself (meaning "showing prejudice against McNabb based on skin color"). I saw the incident as it occured live and it was clear to me then that Rush was speaking of reverse-racism on the part of the "liberal media" (meaning "they showed prejudice toward McNabb based on skin color").

For the record, I do think racism cuts a lot of different directions, and that sticking your fingers in your ears and repeating "I will not listen to the racist" any time race enters a conversation does not help the discussion.

For the record, I will take Limbaugh at his televised word and assume that he always thought McNabb was an over-rated option qb. It is based on that assessment I will agree with Al Franken in concluding that Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot. McNabb's Syracuse numbers were astonishing for the passing accuracy and efficiency he achieved, the fact he can run is a bonus. In a couple years, McNabb will be the premiere qb in the NFL (Vick won't ever be the passer McNabb will... although Vick is an all-time thrower, if you see the distinction).

For the record, I think skinny people can be "big fat idiots," sometimes.

All this really comes down to Rush said something that pissed off the forces of PC... and there's your prototypical "well, duh" moment.

How else could this possibly have ended?

All Aboard
10-02-2003, 11:49 AM
WFH, oddly I find it easier to BELIEVE that Franken believes what he says and writes. Simply because he has been at the pulpit of liberal agenda on many, many occasions.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be shocked if at the end of it all, Rush writes a book about how he didn't believe one word that he said. That it was all about generating an audience and garnering ratings.

Seems to me, Franken's venom is very real.

I'll withold my opinion on the issue at hand.

Planogirl
10-02-2003, 01:24 PM
Has anyone here listened to some of Rush's ranting on his old radio show? He definitely comes across as someone who believes what he's saying. It's hard to imagine that he could turn out to be a hypocrite. Also as a broadcaster, he should have known that his comments about McNabb would not be PC and with so much focus on what is "proper" nowadays he was setting himself up for trouble.

As for the phrase "big fat idiot", this is used commonly in my part of the world and has nothing to do with size. I prefer to give Franken, who is NOT one of my favorites, the benefit of the doubt on this one.

DisneyKidds
10-02-2003, 02:22 PM
Random Thoughts............................

To me, the "big fat" in big fat idiot could just as easily apply to the size of the idiocy, as opposed to the size of the person displaying it. However, since I'm not one of the heavier people of the world it may be easier for me to look past the phrase.

I think Franken draws his material from his beliefs...........then adds things he may not feel just to make it funny to the lowest common denominator. I'm sure Franken believes that Rush is an idiot......and could probably care less what size the man really is but knows others will read "big fat" a certain way and laugh a little harder.

I'd hate to have a job where I'd have to pander to that lowest common denominator. It could make you look mean even if you aren't..................then again if you weren't just a wee bit mean would you even take the job? I don't know.

I don't think Rush's comments were racist..........although I do think it was foolish to introduce race into the subject matter. Not because it was non-PC, but because I don't think it has anything to do with McNabb's success.

I do think Rush is more inclined to make statements just for the sake of drawing a reaction............whether or not he really believes what he says.

Franken and Limbaugh, in the cited examples, were just doing what we pay them to do.......................and I don't think either should lose their job for that.

I think Limbaugh showed "copious amounts" of idiocy in his assessment of McNabb's abilities. Of course Limbaugh's job somewhat involves having a bandwagon mentality and Donovan did have a couple bad games.................

Nods to Scoop on skin thickness.

It's very possible I'm a big fat idiot (remember, I'm a skinny guy ;)) when it comes to this subject and I have no idea what I'm talking about....................much like Franken and Limbaugh much of the time. :crazy:

In an attempt to stay somewhat on topic or be relevant to this board, do you think that this incident and the publicity it has generated is good or bad for ESPN's reputation and it's ratings?

KNWVIKING
10-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Living in S.Jersey I get to see McNabb play almost every Sunday. He IS over rated as a QB. He's a great athlete, but not a great QB.

The NFL has a policy that any team looking to hire a new head coach must interview at least one minority.

So I don't think anything Rush said was out of line. He just didn't learn anything from Jimmy the Greek or Al Campanis.

DisneyKidds
10-02-2003, 04:12 PM
He IS over rated as a QB.
Probably........................but so are most ;). I'll dig later, but I've been told of comaprisons that show thru his first four years in the league McNabbs stats are better than the likes of Favre and other "great" QB's.

As a passer...............maybe he isn't the greatest. His passer rating is better outside of the pocket versus in, a testament to his athleticism no doubt. However, as a field marshall and a leader (that's really what a QB is about) he may make more of a difference than a lot of other QB's in the league.

Golter
10-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Viking you summed it up perfectly you lumped Rush in there with Jimmy the Greek and Campanis.

scauzilloc
10-02-2003, 04:49 PM
I thought this was a Disney Board, not a politics board. He's a big pig and he deserves everything thats coming to him. When you play with fire you eventually get burned. Looks like there's a pig roasting tonight.

KNWVIKING
10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
***"league McNabbs stats are better than the likes of Favre and other "great" QB's. "***

"likes of Farve" You mean QB's with Superbowl rings,right ? ;-)

Without the Philly defense, the Eagles are cellar dwellers. There are times when McNabb will show flashes of greatness but he is no where near consistant enough to be called "great".

The "experts" said McNabb's biggest problem is that he didn't have receivers, no Rice or Moss. Last year when McNabb went down after the Arizona game,with six games to go, all the Philly radio sports experts basically said the best the Eagles could now hope for would be wildcard, no way could they win without the only offensive star on the team. Well, the backup QB's came in, suddenly the receivers learned how to catch and the Eagles win 5 out of 6 and take the division.

I won't even go into the gorry details of the playoffs.

Peter Pirate
10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
LOL scauzilloc!!! Scoop, you still got any of that BBQ sauce?

crusader
10-02-2003, 05:40 PM
McNabb has never been the same since he returned. He was brought in under a lot of hype and has failed to rise to that expectation.

But, I'm refraining from any bashing of my team since I refuse to be stereotyped as that typical Philly fair weather fan. We're so "thick-skinned" we boo a pitcher in the same season he hands us a no-hitter and scream at the fan who catches the glove he tossed at us to throw it back!!!

Welcome to the City of Brotherly Love.

KNWVIKING
10-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Ah yes.... we love our philly teams, win or tie.

The town where Santa Claus gets boo'ed.

crusader
10-02-2003, 05:53 PM
The town where Santa Claus gets boo'ed.

And gunned with snowballs!

exDS vet
10-03-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by scauzilloc
I thought this was a Disney Board, not a politics board.

The fact that Rush worked for ESPN, which is owned by Disney makes this discussion relevent. I think people should question Rush's judgement....in employers! After watching this thing twice on TV, I am not convinced that his comments were racist in the least.

Had Rush made the same comments on his radio show, the fallout would have been minimal if at all. And his radio show has a much larger audience that the ESPN NFL Countdown show. The funny thing is that I am not a Limbaugh fan. But I did tune into the ESPN show because he was on it. I'm glad he's gone so I can got back to watching the much better FOX pregame show.

I'm sure Disney will find a way to milk this for all it's worth.

crusader
10-03-2003, 07:36 AM
I'm sure Disney will find a way to milk this for all it's worth.

You've got the right idea but wrong enterprise. Disney isn't the one milking this - every other network along with the NFL and several notorious political figureheads are.

Last night - We were entertained with language such as: "This story is far from over folks........."

Now we have Rush involved in a black market prescription drug ring and the Eagles owner publicly denouncing ESPN for its' defaming portrayal of football players on television.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/6919550.htm

Interesting how money drives one to use any excuse to cry foul in front of the cameras when it jeopardizes their sacred cow. Meanwhile, it's perfectly acceptable to have the new Eagles cheerleaders uniforms contribute to the degrading sexual exploitive representation of women within the NFL.

KNWVIKING
10-03-2003, 10:37 AM
***"“I think what we’ve had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn’t deserve. The defense carried this team.” ***

See, the quote proves Rush is a racist. He used "black" and "didn't deserve" in the same paragraph. What other conclusion can the media come to. Read that paragraph very closely.... there are three "k" s in it.

Golter
10-03-2003, 10:47 AM
I can't explain why he (Baker) did not recieve more flap than he did from his statements. He did receive some, but not to the magnitude Rush has. Reggie White did receive harsh critisicm for his dumb remarks. As did Shaq Oneill when he made fun of Yao Ming (which he personally apologized for)

The Conservative Right has a reputation for being an elitist racist sexist group. Right, wrong or indiffernt the perception is there. Rush claims to be an expert on morality and it appears that this is another case of "we love to see successful people fall".

Isn't it ironic that the Right bashes the Dixie Chicks for their exercise of free speech, but cries foul when Rush is given the same treatment.

crusader
10-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Isn't it ironic that the Right bashes the Dixie Chicks for their exercise of free speech, but cries foul when Rush is given the same treatment.

Nah - it's simply quid pro quo.

What's ironic is the level of consequence which befalls certain commentators solely based on their politics of choice.

Freedom of Speech selectively warrants a free pass for OP ed's. That's the way the game is played - and they all know it.