PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Lodge Questions

septbride2002
09-30-2003, 04:57 PM
I was just wondering if anyone had been to the AKL recently? We are going in February and have a standard view booked but I am considering upgrading to a pool view if I can afford it. Looking for any advice or tidbits.

Thanks,
Amanda

:wave:

mickeyfan1
09-30-2003, 05:08 PM
I was there August 9-20 and was in room 3030. It was so nice, 1 queen and bunk beds. We could see the pool and the flamingo pond. We could also see part of the savanah that is on that side. It was very convenient, on the 3rd floor which is also the lobby level. A quick walk to the elevators to the pool or to the restaraunts. A lot of people her have been upgraded to pool view from standard. I didn't want to take the chance and booked the pool view. After staying there, I don't think I would book savanah, because while we did spend time in the room, it was because it was raining mostly, and the animals weren't out anyway. We saw all of the animals at different times from the overlooks that are off the lobby and in the wings. We used the pool almost every day, it was the most relaxing WDW trip I have ever taken. If I could get the room rate I had again, I would definately book it again for next year.

jdads2
09-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Welcome to the DIS!

If it wasn't for the kids we would probably get the standard view. Without the kids we have lots of places where we could go sit and relax. We also spend less time in the room. Having the kids would make it a little to "busy" to sit and relax for the length of time we would want. That being said if we have the extra $$ we tend to upgrade on just about everything from the resort to food.

mep319
09-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't think I would pay for an upgrade to pool view...I have only stayed savannah and have paid because we have a DD just 7 who would be heart broken if she couldn't see the animals....that being said...from what I have read you have a much better chance of being upgraded at AKL then at any other resort. I would put the money aside and ask at check in. You may have a good shot of getting it then. If not at that time you can make the call to either pay for the upgrade to savannah/pool room or stay in the standard view..as another poster said there are many viewing points...but if paying for a view I'd only spend it for savannah.

mariamouse
09-30-2003, 07:48 PM
We are considering a stay at the AKL sometime in the next few years and I had a few questions as to how the rooms are laid out. What is the difference between the Savannah and Deluxe Savannah view rooms? What are the names of the different savannahs and which animals are in each? Which is your favorite/are any more expensive? We love the resort itself, although are hesitant about feeling so secluded... we generally like to be in the middle of everything and would probably split the AKL with another busy resort if we did it on one vacation. One more question... I have heard about the Sunrise Savannah event that takes place- is it offered only to concierge guests and is it an additional charge? Thank you for any information you can possibly give!! :)

mariamouse:smooth:

mickeyfan1
09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by mariamouse
We are considering a stay at the AKL sometime in the next few years and I had a few questions as to how the rooms are laid out.

What is the difference between the Savannah and Deluxe Savannah view rooms? Deluxe room usually have a daybed in them and are on the 5th and 6th floors. 6th floor is 100% concierge, 5th floor is mixed. At the Disney web site, you can see the room layouts by resorts.
What are the names of the different savannahs and which animals are in each? The Sunset Savanah is to the left of the lobby, it has the birds, cranes, ostridges, storks. Arusha is in the center, directly off the lobby, I saw cattle, giraffes, zebra, kudu and tommys. Uzima is to the right, we saw cattle, kudu, tommys and giraffes. There could be other animals, but that was all we saw, and of course the flamingoes.
Which is your favorite/are any more expensive? All Savanah rooms are the same price, no difference in Savanah, just more for Deluxe. I personally love the pool view, I would not pay for savanah, but that is just me.
We love the resort itself, although are hesitant about feeling so secluded... we generally like to be in the middle of everything and would probably split the AKL with another busy resort if we did it on one vacation. I loved being in the quiet, seeing the animals at night brought me a lot of inner peace. I love the crowds in the parks, but I loved the quiet of the AKL. Which actually was not always quiet, Friday night at the pool was rockin!
One more question... I have heard about the Sunrise Savannah event that takes place- is it offered only to concierge guests and is it an additional charge? THere is an additional charge of around $50.00 per adult for the Sunrise Safari. It is limited to concierge guests and is offered twice a week.
Thank you for any information you can possibly give!! :)

mariamouse:smooth:
Hope the answers help. There are many other experts here, I hope you can get the info you need. I really loved this resort, and hope to stay there again. I am not a Boardwalk Resort type, but if I can ever drag my WDW hating DH with me, that will be where we stay.

ducklite
10-01-2003, 07:55 AM
One thing to consider...

THey tend to "upgrade" one "level". So if you are standard and they can, they will often give a free upgrade to pool. If you are pool, and they can, they will try to give a free upgrade to savannah.

Of course it depends on when you are going and how full the resort is.

But it's something to think about.

Anne

anewvance
10-01-2003, 08:18 AM
We just got back from AKL yesterday and i'd have to say the hotel was busy.....all of disney was. We booked the $109 fl resident standard rate. But I requested in our fax a comp upgrade to savannah and close to the lobby. We got the back left trail 2 doors in from the lobby facing the savannah. So you never know what you are going to get. But a fax wouldn't hurt before you leave... it was truely magical.

That being said, I really loved this hotel and at the same rate i'd book again. But being spoiled with the savannah room, I'm thinking i'd be disappointed if given a standard room. The kids, 4 and 2, couldn't give a flip less about the animals out the balcony....my grandma and I however, loved being able to sit out there and watch them while the girls napped in the room.

yfraser
10-01-2003, 10:01 AM
I would definitely upgrade after reading all of the posts regarding the views from the Standard rooms. And with only a cost of an extra $20 a night to upgrade during Value Season to a pool room... (In 2003 it was an extra $60 a night but for 2004 they changed it to only an extra $20)

Good luck...

robinb
10-01-2003, 10:15 AM
I was upgraded from standard view to savanah view on July 4th. We loved watching the animals, but we booked a standard view again for Christmas. We'll just cross our fingers again and hope for an upgrade :). In our case the savanah view was almost $50 more per night for 7 nights. $350 is dinner at Victoria and Alberts :).

septbride2002
10-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the replys! We really are looking forward to our next trip. We are going to stick with the standard view for the moment and might upgrade when we check in.

~Amanda

bobcat
10-04-2003, 08:58 PM
We had booked a standard view in July and were given a complementary upgrade to savanna view. The savanna view was amazing but I love this resort so much that I would even stay in the standard rooms. There are so many places to view the animals that we spent a lot of our time outside of our room anyway.

DisneyFreaks
10-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Just a hint...if they don't offer to upgrade you ask to have your room put on the Ostrich Trail side. It's a bit farther from the pool and restaurants but it is much quieter because it's also farther from the bus stops. We were on the lobby level and the view wasn't all that bad at all. Lots of trees, flowers, and bushes to look at. Have a great trip. You will love AKL.

Lexxiefern
10-05-2003, 07:03 AM
We are going to be staying at AKL next year. I asked DH and he said he would prefer to pay the extra $20/night for the pool view. That way we are happy with our view no matter what. If a great code comes out, we will switch to concierge to take advantage of the sunrise safari :hyper:

joyjoy
10-05-2003, 03:15 PM
We were there in September and were given a free upgrade from Standard to Deluxe Savannah view! We were so thrilled. There were only four of us, but having the additional seating (the daybed) was really nice.
AKL is by far my favorite Disney resort. You will love it.:sunny:

MinnieGi
10-05-2003, 03:50 PM
When are you going in Feb? I ask b/c we were there the first week in Feb. 2003 and the resort was definetly not full. We were given an upgrade to pool view at check-in and had booked the AP standard view rate. Just from the lights on there did not seem to be many people in the standard rooms. So you're chances may be pretty good to get upgraded. We really loved our pool view room b/c I just love hearing that resort music! The hotel has lots of places to view the animals. Even on the hotel "trails" there are large windows to see out to the savannah on one side and the pool on the other. On the second floor along the savannah trails there are public places to look at the animals with night vision scopes. Plus there are other area inside and outside to view the animals. So for the price of standard you still get all the amenities and lots of animal viewing.

Chad&Janet
10-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Just wondering exactly how to fax requests in, what to include(reservation #'s, etc), and the fax #. we are leaving for AKL in 3 weeks. Also what is a good time frame to send in requests from arrival date? Thanks guys.

mep319
10-06-2003, 06:39 AM
See wdwig.com faxing room preference (http://wdwig.com/cro1.htm) for advice...

Edited for correct URL...link should work now! Sorry! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Chad&Janet
10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
That was a very helpful article, indeed. In anyone else is interested, click here (http://wdwig.com/cro1.htm) if mep's hyperlink didn't work for you.:crazy: