PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary questions

musicmom3
09-30-2003, 01:01 PM
My kids and I are planning for our summer trip, and the kids are pushing for the Contemporary Tower, which I understand books rather quickly. Here's my question: If I were to book now, and then if a nice package were to come along, like last summer's FT package, would I be able to switch my rack-rate reservation to the discounted reservation while still keeping the tower room, do you think? Also, I haven't read much about the Contemporary lately...is that just coincidence or is it because there isn't much good to say? The last posts I read, admittedly a while ago, were kind of critical....If you are one of those people who love the Contemporary, could you chime in? It would make me feel better about putting down the money!!!! Thanks as always to all the good voices on these boards!

Kimberle
09-30-2003, 01:13 PM
Hello,
Can't answer abt the packages.

But we stayed at CR 2 years ago, in the north wing. We loved it. We could see the fireworks from our room. The rooms are large and spacious.

We just returned from WL. We took the boat over a couple of times to eat at the steakhouse.

cinmell
09-30-2003, 01:32 PM
My family and I absolutely love the Contemporary Resort. The location is unbeatable, you can walk to/from the MK or take the monorail. It's great being able to take a peaceful walk over to the MK in the morning and monorail back in the afternoon. It's also priceless to be able to avoid bus/boat/monorail crowds after parades and fireworks and walk back to your room in 10 minutes. The concourse area is fun, great shopping and good food with singing from Chef Mickey's. There are two pools, one quiet and one with a slide and water fountains. My 2 year old loved it! She had so much fun at the CR. She really enjoyed the characters voices in the elevators too. We also enjoy taking the boat to Ft. Wilderness for dinner at Trails End. We've only stayed in the tower and views are unbelievable, especially the MK side. There's nothing like watching the castle turn colors at night from your room or balcony and watching EWP from your room. I also enjoy watching the boats and ferries in Seven Seas Lagoon or looking out over Space Mountain and hearing the WDW train. Once we stayed at the Contemporary it was hard for us to stay anywhere else. We tried the GF, which was nice, but we missed the Contemporary.

We generally book our WDW vacations 12-13 months in advance and then switch our room/package over when and IF better rates come out as long as they are still available when I call. Enjoy your stay, I bet you and your family will love it!

time4fun
09-30-2003, 02:07 PM
My family and I just returned fro the Contemporary on Sunday!!! It was absolutely wonderful. I don't think I will ever stay anywhere else. My kids are 8,6 and 2 and there was something for everyone. The pools were great, the talking elevators, monorail ect.... I can' say enough. THe biggest is probably location. It is so close to MK you can walk, which is great in the evening when everyone else is trying to get on the monorail. We were in the towers with a view of Epcot which was wonderful. We saw fireworks everynight and even got to see a parade from the water. This was great for us because MK did not put fireworks off every night because we were in off season. IF you go in the summer they will and I would ask for tower room MK side as high up as you can go. We were on the 10th floor and could see great. Please email me if you have any questions. We had such a great time I cannot even begin to write all about it!!!!

Alice28
09-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Another CR lover here. Stayed there with our party of 7 in March and I'm heading back in 2 1/2 days and I can't wait. It is totally worth the money- it's not as "themey" as some of the other resorts, but it is still very nice and you definitely feel like you're at Disney. We loved the location and the monorails, we tried 3 of the 4 restaurants and loved them, and the shopping is the best of any of the resorts in my opinion. I am sure if you book at rack rates now you can switch to any discount rate that comes out.

DVC-Don
09-30-2003, 04:10 PM
We have stayed in the Contemporary tower twice on the MK side. The view was awsome. Even though we have only been staying at DVC resorts since joining, my now 11 yo daughter is begging to go back to the Contemp someday. The resort is just so convienent.

dw123
09-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Another BIG CR fan here! We were at the CR with and MK view at then end of April, and cinmell was right on with everything! It's the best! You literally feel as if your in the MK all the time - the feeling can't be beat!

LoriZH
09-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Stayed twice LOVE IT and going back again at the end of the month! I love love love the Tower Rooms, there really is nothing like it!

Book it and yes you will be able to put it into a package IF and ONLY if it is available at the time you call. Sometimes they may not include the Tower Rooms or Conceirge in the packages deals, but for the most part they do!

Have fun!

I will give a report when I get back sometime in November.

musicmom3
10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks to all who answered my questions! I feel good about the Contemporary...so that's where we're going this summer!!!!!

sm4987
10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
My family loved the Contemporary. My guess is that yes you can switch to a package. I always book everything separately because I find it cheaper that way. Ask the reservation agent if you can book separately and then switch when the package come out. I would hate for you to miss out on one of those tower rooms. This will be the second year in a row that we do the Tower. Concierge each time. It is worth to try that tower.

novafan
10-02-2003, 12:32 PM
We stayed in the CR last month and we loved it. We booked it through the SOG deal and I don't know if we'll ever get such a steal at WDW again. We stayed in the Garden South wing and it was fine. I've seen so many people complain about the CR wings, but it was perfect for us. The best perk: walking distance to MK!!! We did the walk ALOT and it was worth it's weight in gold. What's funny is that we stayed at CR and didn't even go to Chef Mickey's. Not this trip, maybe the next one. It looks fun though. The monorail running through the tower is so magical. I would stay at the CR again in a heartbeat.

llebrekniT
10-02-2003, 06:43 PM
I see that you already made your decision to stay, but I wanted to echo what I read above from other posters. We have stayed 2x, on MK and Bay Lake side. Like others have said, you really don't feel like you leave the park on the MK side. Also just being in the Contemporary with the monorail going through and the constant partying at CM's, it keeps the mood alive 24/7. I was so surprised at how much we loved the Bay Lake side after having had the MK side before. I don't know what we'll do when we stay there again. It's a toss up. There is so much to see on the Bay Lake side and watching the EPCOT fireworks from our balcony was great because we never get to see them. You can watch the MK fireworks from your room if you get that side or there is also an observation deck to watch from. The water parade went by every night about 10:00. I sooooo love staying there. We love GF too, the feeling is just different. Staying at GF is like getting away from everything, which can also be very nice. It's a wonderful, relaxing kind of resort stay. We are staying there in Dec., mainly due to the atmosphere for the holidays. I know you will not be disappointed with your decision. Have a great trip!:wave:

sm4987
10-02-2003, 06:57 PM
llebrekniT- You don't hear too many people talk about the Bay Lake side. It was wonderful. EWP, Epcot Fire works, and looking across and seeing the Universal Studiios or Sea World fireworks. It was such a treat. It was also awesome leaving the curtain open and seing the lake so peaceful. Watching the sun on the lake, As pricey as it was the memories were priceless.

Maddle
10-03-2003, 11:04 AM
We stayed last November 2002 in the CR Tower on the Bay Lake side. There is just nothing like it! My Brother-in-law was sooo happy and relaxed, I never saw him that way before or since. We had a view of the pools, and the Electric Boat Parade (whatever that's called) and the Marina. I am spoiled for life.

The room was enormous - plenty of space for five. The daybed was very comfortable, no problem sleeping for me. The niece and nephew loved watching the people on the concourse and the monorail zooming through. It was a great stay!

Maddle

s&k'smom
10-03-2003, 12:03 PM
Just want to say thanks for the info too. We are hoping to stay at CR next November 2004 and every time we think we may change hotels we see such positive posts on the CR. I too am planning on putting a deposit down and then switching it around when discounts come out. I've done it 2x before and never had a problem switching from one package to another.