PDA

View Full Version : How are the No See Ums right now?

Barbruka
09-30-2003, 10:59 AM
I got bit up pretty bad on my last two trips from No See Ums. Had about 40 or more bites on each leg, and some got infected, not to mention itching terribly. Going in 11 days, and wondering if anyone is getting those terrible little bites at the resorts? Seems worse at AKL and Poly. Also got them at All Stars. One part of my trip I'm not looking forward to. Each trip it seems to affect me worse.

Eeyore1954
09-30-2003, 11:52 AM
You may have tried this already, but just in case...

Avon's Skin So Soft lotion seems to work well for my DW, who attracts no-see-ums by the masses. She always has a bad reaction to them, so we always carry a couple of bottles with us anytime we go to FL.

KdawnLily's Mom
09-30-2003, 04:18 PM
What is a No See Um?

ADisneygirl
09-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Mom ~~~ a "no see em" refers to these teeny tiny gnat- like bugs that bite -- much like a mosquito bite. They are so small, that you rarely see the bite coming until it has already happened.

As far as "no see em" season, I have noticed them in the evenings whenever it is warm and it has just stopped raining. We were at the Boardwalk just this past weekend and it rained a few times during the day, but not at night. We did not get bitten once this weekend. :D

mep319
09-30-2003, 06:10 PM
It's Florida...always bug season...try the skin so soft. But...and I don't know if you do this or not...a few tid bits from a native...

No perfume or scented lotions. But wear a non scented lotion it does form a barrier....AND.....
DO NOT SIT IN THE GRASS...EVER...ANYWHERE!

Living in FL all those years and being eaten alive has made me pretty resitent to these bugs up north and even down in FL for the most part.....I must taste pretty bad by now ...but even I get eaten alive by the chiggers and no see ums when sitting in the grass!:p

COACHSTING
09-30-2003, 09:19 PM
We got back a week or so ago and we didn't see any
no-see-um's. There were a lot of the love bugs. They seemed to get everywhere. We had to sweep lots of dead ones, dried ones, wings, etc. off our deck and they were flying everywhere. Other than that bugs were not a problem at all.....

FloridaCat
09-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Did not mention which resort, but last week at WL the Mosquitoes were bad down by the lake to watch the WEP. Bring Off.

All the women down here say to stay away from scented lotions if you are going to be outside.

KdawnLily's Mom
10-01-2003, 09:59 AM
:scared: Are these no see ums around in November?

Barbruka
10-01-2003, 01:18 PM
Coachsting: You don't see No See Ums (hence the name). You don't feel them biting you. For all intents, they are practicly invisible. But afterwards, you notice all these little itchy bumps on your legs. It seems every trip to WDW, I have a worse reaction. Last time I had to go to an emergency room because some had gotten infected. It looks like chicken pox on my legs. I had these hard swollen areas on the backs of my legs. Awful.

No See Ums usually lay their eggs in rotting manure, so that is one reason they are bad at AKL. They are only out in the early morning hours and around dusk. I have researched this on the internet after the last trip. I was just wondering if others were getting bit up by them bad now. My other trips were in September and January and I got it bad both times. Evenings at AKL outside were bad (and I love it out there - my favorite place of ANY resort!)

caribbeanme
10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
hey all!

i'm in puerto rico, where no see ums and mosquitos are killers. from my experience with them, florida ones seem to be close relatives :). i echo the suggestions above- no scented lotions or perfume, don't sit on the grass, and use an insect repellent. repellents with deet like deep woods off are pretty effective if you really want them to stay away, along with everyone else :). if you prefer natural alternatives, citronella and lemongrass are known herbal insect repellents, and most herbal repellants have them.

when you apply, actually spray them onto your hand and wipe them on for full coverage. go INTO your sleeves and pants legs when you do it. i try and keep the insect repellents from my bites, but it's just because it stings and then i have itch cream and insect repellent mixed up. just doesn't seem cool.

no see ums seem to kick up and swarm at dusk around here, as the hot sun wanes, so much so that kids don't go out between 5 and 7pm. at night they're attracted by light, so close your deck/porch doors behind you. i don't know what the policy is in the resorts, but a citronella candle might be an option if you want to lounge on on a deck/porch area. the resort may be able to scrounge one up for you (or may have alternatives available).

if you have to stand outside for a prolonged period of time and are particularly sensitive to bites, consider changing into lightweight 3/4 to full length sleeve t's and longish pants. if i'm going to an activity that will have me standing around, i try to tuck my pants legs into my shoes, or i put on really lightweight dress socks and stick the pant legs into the socks. it looks goofy, but it works. and if you have to sit on the grass, lightly spray whatever you're sitting on (paper, plastic, pack) with insect repellent as an extra barrier. you may want to lightly spray any backpacks or bags. a trick i learned while hiking is to shake my backpack and shake out my hair after i've walked through a swarm of no see ums. they sometimes just stick to ya.

finally, i always carry itch cream with me. whenever i go to the bathroom or make a pit stop after i've been outside for a while, i lightly wash any bites with cool water and soap. it relieves the itch and cleans the area from sweat and dirt, which can compound the problem and lead to infection. if they're getting infected because of scratching, consider swabbing with alcohol (momentary ouchie) followed by an antiseptic cream, covering the whole bite area up with non-scratchy gauze right before bed. sometimes the middle of the night scratching is exacerbated cuz the tossing and turning inadvertently "scratches" the bite. most of these suggestions seem are a bit much, even to me, but it doesn't hurt to pack a small "first aid kit" with these items-- most of them serve a dual purpose, and whenever i haven't carried insect repellent and itch cream i've regretted it. they just gang up on me!!

btw, a quick fix if you don't have itch cream is ice. and when it gets really bad, i try the u.s. marine method: i pinch myself and try to distract myself from the itch. :earseek:

ldudley
10-01-2003, 02:11 PM
We just got back on Monday from a week long trip. We didn't see um and we didn't feel um!

floridafam
10-01-2003, 03:28 PM
I believe their name is the "biting midge" but they are also called noseeums.

I saw them on our last trip. They are VERY tiny but you can see them and feel them biting you.

They are worse at dawn and dusk.

We use OFF to keep them away.

The bites are AWFUL!!!! It makes you look like you have the chicken pox and you just want to scream because they itch so bad.

One of the lifeguards at Vero Beach gave me medicated swabs that you crack open and rub on the bites. This seemed to be the only thing that worked for me. I tried cortizone creams, benadryl, etc.