PDA

View Full Version : DVD Collector's Edition - Finding Nemo

Planecrazy4dis
09-29-2003, 11:26 PM
The 2-Disc DVD Collector's Edition of Disney/Pixar's Finding Nemo will be released November 4, 2003. Now this is the first time being released on DVD and VHS. So I was wondering what the difference was between "COLLECTOR'S EDITION" and "SPECIAL EDITION"? Because I only want the "Special Editions" from now on. I've wasted too much money on the VHS, then DVD, then the Special Editions for the same movie.
:confused:

disneychrista
09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
My understanding is that the "special editions" are those that have been remade and then rereleased. Such as Beauty and teh Beast, Snow White, and now Lion King.

PatMcDuck
10-02-2003, 09:18 AM
Lilo and Stitch SE comes out in January, and I want it.......... sigh. It makes me nuts when they do this.

Razor Roman
10-02-2003, 12:44 PM
Snow White, BatB and TLK are all "Platinum Collection" which was originally the extra-special 10 Disney Titles, while the rest would be in the "Gold Collection", but Disney seems to have ditched the "Gold Collection" all together. "Sleeping Beauty" was not a Platinum title, but the Special Edition version seems to be constructed similarly to a Platinum title. The next platinum one will be Aladdin, I think.

I don't think there's a real difference between "Collector's" "Special" and "Platinum" editions - except Pixar movies aren't real "Disney" movies - so they get called something different. If you've seen the "Collector's" Editions of A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. you know you won't get ripped off if you buy it now - there is very little they could put in a future release of the move.

As for Lilo & Stitch, if don't have it already, wait for the Collector's edition - but if you don 't need the extras, then I'm sure there's no big reason to "upgrade" your title - the transfer is top quality and I doubt Disney will do anything to improve the quality of the actual film. It might be nice to see if they include the "pre-9/11" ending of the film, but other than that, it seems like all the behind the scenes material on collector's versions of titles are all very similar, and if you're not really into the particular concept art, there's little to learn from those 2nd discs.

I for one won't be upgrading. Though I will be upgrading any of my old titles (like from the Special Editions that they release in the VERY beginning) that are widescreen titles to Anamorphic versions as they are released... so I won't be buying Alice in Wonderland, but I will be buying Pocahontas, Lady and the Tramp, Mulan, and Hercules when they come out with anamorphic titles. I'm also holding off on buying some titles I want, like Hunchback of Notre Dame which i heard has a pretty bad transfer. Since it's reportedly Eisner's favorite movie, it will probably get a better DVD sometime soon. 10th Anniversary coming up pretty fast for that one, actually.

scrump
10-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Hello,

This is the first I've heard this...there's a pre-9/11 ending for Lilo and Stitch? Does anybody know what it is, and for what reasons it was changed?

Thanks!

Razor Roman
10-07-2003, 11:54 AM
I heard that the ending of the movie had Stitch saving Lilo by hijacking a commercial airplane, which after 9/11 was deemed a bit much for a Disney film.

wdwguide
10-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Razor Roman
I heard that the ending of the movie had Stitch saving Lilo by hijacking a commercial airplane, which after 9/11 was deemed a bit much for a Disney film.

... yet they still happily blow up the White House during the GMR finale every five minutes or so and fund a movie that alleges that Dubya and Osama are old drinking buddies.

scrump
10-07-2003, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had never heard that there was an original ending to Lilo & Stitch.

ceburto2
10-10-2003, 11:12 PM
There is a good historical explanation of the Disney DVD types (gold collection, special edition, platinum edition) and future release schedule at :

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/releasetypes.htm

ladyjayhawk
10-12-2003, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the link! The info regarding the different versions will be very helpful as I start buying for Christmas. I can't believe it is so complicated!

Planecrazy4dis
10-14-2003, 09:53 PM
Thank you Ceburto2 for the web site. I've been wondering about the line up of the new releases.