PDA

View Full Version : Are the All Star Resorts THAT bad?

GrandmaP
09-29-2003, 04:55 PM
I keep reading a lot of negative things about these resorts. Can they be that bad? Previously we've stayed at Coronado Springs. But this time, we'll have 2 grandkids aged 7 and 9. They have no concept of a nice resort, nor will they remember it. We plan on using the pool the day of arrival. Other than that, we only plan to be at the resort for breakfast and sleeping.:confused:

Thank you for any input.

SnackyStacky
09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
I haven't stayed there, but for what you'd be using the resort for, I think the All Stars might be a good choice for you.

My only concern in your position would be the space factor. The All Stars have 260 square feet per room, whereas Coronado Springs had 314 square feet per room.

I'm actually considering a quick trip in January and trying out the All Stars.

You never know until you try! ;)

GoodFairies
09-29-2003, 05:00 PM
No, they are great. Remember that even "cheap" Disney is still Disney. The magic is still there. They are the best way for a family to take an affordable trip and the theme is great for kids. I don't even have kids and I've stayed there several times. The bus service there is the best of ALL the WDW resorts.

SimbaNoodle
09-29-2003, 05:04 PM
The rooms are fine, but small. The resorts also tend to be loud.
There is Disney theming everywhere. For 2 young kids I think it would be fine. The allstars are still better than half the hotels in Orlando.

ducklite
09-29-2003, 05:04 PM
Oh, you'll be suprised how much they'll remember!

How "nice" it is is extremely subjective. Some people love it, others do not.

I'm in the do not category. I think it's garish, noisy, and lacking in many of the amenities I need to feel comfortable while traveling. I"m also one to spend time in my room relaxing and reading.

If you are simply looking for a basic accomodation with a reasonably clean place to lay your head, you will be fine there.

It comes to managing your expectations. If you expect a budget type motel with budget type amenities and services, you'll be happy. If you are looking for upgraded amenities, activites and levels of service, you'll be disappointed.

It sounds to me like it should suit you fine for your purposes. :)

Have a great trip!

Anne

hmp2z
09-29-2003, 05:11 PM
If you don't mind staying in a motel, with a TON of small children (and it sounds like you don't, since you are traveling with children), you should be okay. Coronado Springs is much quieter & more adult oriented than the All Stars. It also depends on whether noise bothers you when you are trying to sleep or not. Since there are children galore, there is a lot of running and yelling down the corridors, late at night. But, again, if you are a noisy kids person, that would be right up your alley. It's all in what you prefer.
We had been using the All Stars as our first night hotel, when we got there late, and didn't want to pay GF prices for just a few hours' sleep. But after this most recent trip, we have booked the Dolphin as our first night hotel - All Stars are just way too loud for us! And the rooms have that motel smell, which bothers me. So we will see whether the Dolphin suits our purpose any better...
Cheers!
Heather W

>>^..^<<
09-29-2003, 05:30 PM
What makes you think the kids won't remember it?

My DD9 still talks about all her vacations since she was 4 years old... she can remember all the pools, hotel, things we did... etc...

The Allstars look like fun.. give them a try.. the worst that could happen is that you will know better next time.

>>^..^<<

StrwLady
09-29-2003, 05:30 PM
I have never had a bad experience at the All Stars. Yes the rooms are a little small but I didnít find them to be a problem with 2 adults and 1 Child. I couldn't imagine having 4 adults in one room. I probably miss the food courts the most. It was so nice to have a choice of several different foods. My son loves the game rooms there. There always seems to be activity around the resort but I have never found that I could hear noise in my room. If I had one complaint/concern is at peek times of the day the busses can get very very crowded. If you are leaving a park at closing time you should expect to wait in a good line for a bus and may have to stand up on the bus. We always tried to leave the park before closing time.

We started staying at the Deluxe Resorts because we really like the boat/monorail access to the parks. As long as we can come up with the extra $$$'s we will stay at a Deluxe. But if at some time I donít have the extra $$$'s I would stay at an all star in a heart beat.

Hope you enjoy your trip. :)

NancyK
09-29-2003, 05:39 PM
You'll get many different opinions on every one of the Disney hotels on this board. Everyone has their own preferences and thankfully Disney has enough variety to satisfy almost everyone. :D I think if you're planning on doing parks most of the time, the All Stars will be fine. Kids love the theming. Last year my family stayed there (two teenage boys and DH and I). Yes, the rooms are a bit small, but it suited our purposes fine. With the money saved on the room, you can have a nice character meal or buy souvenirs or just save it for the next trip. Have a great time!

robinb
09-29-2003, 05:42 PM
First of all ...

Welcome to the DIS!!!!

I have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts from Value to Moderate to Deluxe to Home Away From Home. My last stay was at All Star Sports. I think you'll be fine! Your grandkids will have a great time. They will love the resort since the giant icons appeal to children. You will love saving money. I also think you'll have plenty of room at the All Stars. We were fine with 2 adults and a 4 year old.

BTW, I would schedule in more swimming time than just the first day. Older children may be able to "commando" from dawn till well after dusk, but I don't think a 7 and 9 year old will be able to. Instead, get to the parks early (when the gates open) and plan on swimming in the late afternoon before dinner. My 4 year old begged me to go back to the resort to swim while we were at MGM! We swam every day for at least an hour and we all loved it. It was great having non-park down time.

StrwLady
09-29-2003, 05:43 PM
My experiences with the All Stars is from 2 years ago. Unless things have changed I would never compare them to a motel. I always found the rooms and the property to be very clean. Yes they do lack some of the extra's. For instance no room service (when I was there last you could still get in room pizza delivery), no house keeping after a certain hour, and shampoo and soap dispensers instead of the individual shampoo and soaps in the room. As for nosie from people moving past your room I find that even in the Deluxe hotels. I guess I have just grown accustom to it. But I have stayed at the All Stars when all the High School Cheerleaders were there I never found a reason to complain.

My experiences with the All Stars was always good.

KdawnLily's Mom
09-29-2003, 05:57 PM
We have always enjoyed ourselves at the AS resorts. You have Disney magic around you at all times, especially if you like the Disney movies. It's like walking through a movie set.

We spend most of our time at the Parks, with the money we save staying at the Value resorts we can do extra Character meals and bring home more souveniers.

The pools are great at the resorts and we have never heard those turbo toilets everyone talks about, nor have we been kept awake at night because of load noises at the pools. Our last visit we had a ground floor room right beside the pool, had no problems with noise even though it was when the Cheerleaders where there for their competitions.

The food courts offer a good selection of food with rates about the same as in the parks.

The bus transportation is busy when the parks close other than that it seems to be fine. I never had to stand on one of the buses even when it got crowded. People are very understanding when you are tired and offer their seats.

No matter what resort you chose your grandchildren will love whereever you take them.
Enjoy your vacation.

Piglet203
09-29-2003, 06:01 PM
I have stayed at the All Star Resorts three times!!! I loved them just much as the moderates. Sure, the moderates are better themed and what not, but the value resorts are really really nice. I was impressed when I went for the first time. THey are perfect for a family with young children, since it's themed for kids. You'll love the pool area and food court. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. IMO, All Star Movies was the cutest! I loved Fantasia section...it was so nice :D

DisneyLisa
09-29-2003, 06:02 PM
We really enjoyed our stay at the ASMu and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. There were 2 adults and 2 pre-teens in our party and we found we had plenty of room (and we drove so had tons of stuff like a cooler, etc.). Yes, the moderates & deluxes offer more amenities and have bigger rooms, but if you're not in your room much, it probably won't matter...we were rarely there. We actually found there were things we preferred at the AS...like the food court, which was great for a quick snack/meal. I think your grandkids will love it....it's Disney. :)

safetymom
09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
You will be fine at All Stars. We usually stay at moderates but stayed at ASMusic on one of our last trips. It was fine.

When people offer opinions you should ask where they usually stay. If they are used to deluxes and better many tend to look down on the value resorts. I would rather stay at a value or moderate and be able to go more often then scrimp and save to be able to afford a deluxe.

Disney is all about being for everyone. You will have a great trip.

susy
09-29-2003, 06:43 PM
Can I recommend the All Star Movies? I just think the theming will really appeal to the kids. Once they arrive at the hotel, they will feel like they are IN DISNEY! I don't find the rooms small, but then I'm small. A family of heavyset people might find it cramped. The landscaping is lovely and the resort is very clean. The food court is wonderful and your grandkids can get Mickey waffles for breakfast! They have a grab and go section for late night, after the park snacking. We always take a mid-day pool break and find the bus service to be excellent and the pools to be fun. There is a pool bar and a hairwrapping station. It doesn't have extra amenities so come prepared for that.

By accident I discovered a way to block out room noise at night. On one trip we used a humidifier for my son who was getting over a cold. Well, none of us ever slept so good! From then on, we pack it every trip and never have a problem with noise.

CamColt
09-29-2003, 06:49 PM
We have stayed at ASMO 3 times in the past 2 years and hope to stay at ASSP next summer. We love ASMO! Its just so Disney! We never had a problem with space in the room(even had 3 adults, a child and an infant with a crib once). We have never had any excess noise in our rooms however we have always been in the back side of the buildings. That might make a difference. The variety of the food court is wonderful for picky kids, and the bus service is wonderful! Mousekeeping did a great job of keeping our rooms clean. All CMs we encountered have always been very friendly and helpful. I would have a hard time going back to a moderate after staying at a value. :)

TDC Nala
09-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Kids generally love the Allstars. I'd bet if my nephews knew about the Allstars, they'd be disappointed that they have to stay at the Beach Club next year.

For more fun, coordinate your resort choice according to your grandkids' interests... if they're into sports, stay at Sports. If they like music, stay at Music. If they're not into either of these, go for Movies.

I've had more room noise at Old Key West... they always put the folks with the screaming infant in my connecting room.

CaliforniaDreaming
09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
We've stayed at Music twice. It's a nice resort, nothing great, but an excellent value for the price. I'll probably stay there again sometime. :)

Memaw2Wm
09-29-2003, 09:43 PM
I'm glad to read that that All Stars gets a thumbs up most of the time.

I like staying in the FW cabins, but my DH and I are taking the grandkids (7 & 8) to Disney in January for a 4 day weekend (teacher workdays) and I opted for ASMo as it saved me $500.

I figure we're only going to be sleeping there for 3 nights so we don't need a large room and the theming sounds like fun for the kids.

allstarfan707
09-29-2003, 10:16 PM
I think your grandkids are going to have the time of their lives!! They are going to love the themes and feel so comfortable. I take my kids their everytime because I know they love it and when their happy, we are happy. We are going back in about a week and a half and they asked for All Star sports in the football buildings. This will not be a place your grandchildren will ever forget.......they will talk about it for years to come.

Have fun and enjoy, you are very good grandparents for giving them such a nice treat!!

buzz5985
09-30-2003, 02:26 AM
I was very nervous the first time I stayed at ASMo. I was pleasantly surprised. We are neat, so everything gets put away, luggage stored, etc. We let my DS pick the resort, he was 4 his first trip. 2nd trip we split between ASMo and AKL. He told us the animals would probably rather be over at the Dalmation buildings.

I am a vary light sleeper on vacations. I normally work 11 pm - 7am, so I never really switch over, and I don't notice a lot of noise and we were right on Andy's room, the first time and on the backside of the dalmation buildings the 2nd time.

I think the kids really enjoy the All Stars - and that's the most important thing. I'm nervous now - we just bought into DVC and are worried my son would rather be at the all stars. LOL

Aisling
09-30-2003, 07:15 AM
We stayed at All Stars for our very first trip to WDW in 2000, with an 8 year old and a 13 year old, DH and myself. I loved the atmosphere there better than I did a subsequent stay at the Beach Club! The "noise" is families and kids laughing and having fun, which was not a bother for my family, although some people didn't like it at all. The Disney feel was so there! The room was large enough for my family of 4 to be comfortable for a 5 day stay. If it were a longer stay, a larger sized room would have been preferable, but it worked out so well Especially if you're in the parks most of the time, All Stars is an inexpensive and fun alternative to the moderates.
We're staying at AKL this trip, but I would love to stay at Pop Century, which is an All Star equivalent. I love the All Stars.

KathyFP
09-30-2003, 07:44 AM
I have never stayed at an AS. Personal prefernce because I like to lounge in the hot tub after a long day at the park and they do not have a slide at the pool.

The most important point made aby an earlier poster is that Disney has something for everyone.

I am sure your grandchildren will have a great time no matter were you stay.

mbb
09-30-2003, 08:58 AM
....we would choose to stay at a "preferred building" though...the Calypso at Music...JMO, the standard rooms are just a little too far from the main building and bus stops for us. At the end of a commando day, an extra 10 minute walk carrying two little ones is a walk too far:D We would always pay the little extra for that convenience.

Wherever you stay, though, It's all Disney!!
Enjoy!

gepetto
09-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by susy
I don't find the rooms small, but then I'm small. A family of heavyset people might find it cramped.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ducklite
09-30-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by StrwLady
My experiences with the All Stars is from 2 years ago. Unless things have changed I would never compare them to a motel.

From Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: mo∑tel
Pronunciation: mO-'tel
Function: noun
Etymology: blend of motor and hotel
Date: 1925
: an establishment which provides lodging and parking and in which the rooms are usually accessible from an outdoor parking area
------------------------------------------
From the Mobile Travel Guide:

Motels
Accommodations are in low-rise structures with rooms easily accessible to parking (which is usually free)
Properties have outdoor room entry and small, functional lobbies
Service is often limited
Dining may not be offered in lower-rated motels and lodges
Shops and businesses are found only in higher-rated properties, as are bellhops, room service, and restaurants serving three meals daily
-------------------------------------------

So as you can see, they are a MOTEL. The corridors are on the outside. They offer only basic amenities. So calling them a MOTEL is a highly accurate statement.

I would compare them to maybe a Holiday Inn Express at best, a Red Roof Inn at worst.

Anne

anna8062
09-30-2003, 10:20 AM
We stayed in the All Star Movies in January 2003 and we loved it. It was very cold so we only tried swimming once(the pools are heated), but the run back to our room was cold. The room was very clean and the cleaning staff created a scene with the girls toys every day. The girls looked forward to coming back to our room just to see what the maid had done with their toys. The food court was great and convient , and we are going back this January and my family is booked at ASM again! We love it.:)

robinb
09-30-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by ducklite
I would compare them to maybe a Holiday Inn Express at best, a Red Roof Inn at worst.

{snip}

Magical Memories from...BCV, BC, BWV, BWI concierge, YC concierge, Polynesian concierge, GF (concierge and non-concierge), AKL (concierge and 2 BR suite), POFQ, AS, SoG, Vero Beach

Gee Anne ... not everyone can afford concierge at BWI, YC, Polynesian, or the GF. Most folks can't even afford those places without concierge. While I'm sure the OP found your input valuable, can't you just leave it with "it's not my cup of tea"?

missypie
09-30-2003, 10:34 AM
My prediction: You may not love the All Stars, but the kids will have a great time. I haven't stayed at one but I've seen lots of pictures and the theming looks "over the top", which the kids will probably love.

Yes, kids remember stuff, but what THEY think is a great hotel is not what I think is a geat hotel. If you ask any of mine the best hotel we've ever stayed at, they would all tell you the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza in Springfield, Illinois. They messed up our reservation and "upgraded" us to this very weird hospitality suite with a Murphey bed and a HUGE hot tub. We had to have 3 roll away beds to sleep everyone, but the kids thought that that gigantic hot tub was the coolest thing in the world.

safetymom
09-30-2003, 10:35 AM
robinb, I agree with you. The All Stars has never pretended to be anything but a value resort.

I found the All Stars to be nicer than a lot of hotels that I stay in for business.

For those that stay at the GF or Poly just mention that a value resort is not for you.

Terk-1
09-30-2003, 11:06 AM
We stayed at the Movies in 2001 and had a great time. The room was good (we were in the Toy Story area) and was close to the foodcourt, main building, bus stop & pool. The food in the foodcourt was very good and I found the buses not bad, compared to some other resorts. If I had to choose one of the All Stars to stay at again, it would be the Movies. This is laid out alot better than the Music. :jester: :smooth:

Lucky4me
09-30-2003, 11:08 AM
If my 8yo dd had the choice between AllStars and the GF concierge she'd pick AllStars. You can't beat the themeing for kids. We stayed at Old Key West this year and she begged to go see Woody. Yes it may be considered a motel, but so what? Whatever makes the kids happy is what I say. Wasn't it all started by one man who wanted to keep the child alive in all of us? :)

ducklite
09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by robinb
Gee Anne ... not everyone can afford concierge at BWI, YC, Polynesian, or the GF. Most folks can't even afford those places without concierge. While I'm sure the OP found your input valuable, can't you just leave it with "it's not my cup of tea"?

I've stayed deluxe, but I've also stayed moderate and value. You chose to turn a blind eye to that in my sig. Perhaps you missed in my post that the value resorts would be quite suitable for the OP's needs. Or were you so intent on flaming me that you forgot to read that part?

The OP asked for an honest opinion, which I gave in a manner to manage his expectations. My second post was in response to another poster who posted inaccurate info. What is wrong with comparring the value resorts to two well known chains which they are quite comparable to? Or again, are you just looking for something to bash me about? Others mentioned issues with the value resorts such as noise crowds, but you chose to ignore them and target me. If you don't like my posts, then simply don't read them.

I never mentioned concierge service in either of my responses on this thread, I don't know why you did either.

Anne

DisneyLisa
09-30-2003, 11:47 AM
My second post was in response to another poster who posted inaccurate info. Anne What the other poster posted was her opinion...why can't you leave it at that. Sorry...I usually avoid controversy on these boards but I'm sick of you jumping in with your negativity on every thread (as well as correcting everyone...who made you the Disney expert?). Post your opinion once & leave it at that. Let everyone else offer their opinions and the original poster can make up his/her own mind. Why does everything have to be a debate with you? :mad:

OK...done...my rant for the year. :) My apologies to everyone.

ducklite
09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by DisneyLisa
What the other poster posted was her opinion...why can't you leave it at that. Sorry...I usually avoid controversy on these boards but I'm sick of you jumping in with your negativity on every thread (as well as correcting everyone...who made you the Disney expert?). Post your opinion once & leave it at that. Let everyone else offer their opinions and the original poster can make up his/her own mind. Why does everything have to be a debate with you? :mad:

OK...done...my rant for the year. :) My apologies to everyone.

I hardly jump in on every thread. I also have many positive opinions. Am I not allowed to state my opinion anymore unless it's positive? That would be censorship, and wouldn't give people who visit these boards and ask for help very good information, would it?

If you don't like posts, simply don't read them.

Anne

Dixie Luvr 98
09-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Shops and businesses are found only in higher-rated properties, as are bellhops, room service, and restaurants serving three meals daily

Well, since the AS's have shops, limited room service, limited bellservices, serve three meals a day (even if it is counter service) and don't have miniscule lobbies, I guess they are at least high-end motels.

I always see posts of people comparing the All Stars to Motel 6, Econo Lodge, Howard Johnson's, etc. Where is the Motel 6 with the landscaping, huge themed pools, food choices that the AS resorts have? For as low as $49 a night.

Disney calls them value resorts and that is what they are. They are extremely popular with children and many adults. They fill a niche and no one is forced to stay there.

We will be at the Grand Floridian and Yacht Club over Thanksgiving and I'm sure my 3 year-old would rather be back at the All Star Movies at the "doggie hotel".

ducklite
09-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dixie Luvr 98
Well, since the AS's have shops, limited room service, limited bellservices, serve three meals a day (even if it is counter service) and don't have miniscule lobbies, I guess they are at least high-end motels.

I agree with this 100%. They certainly are high end for a motel. I would never argue that statement :)

Anne

kashkdz
09-30-2003, 01:31 PM
We stayed at ASMovies our last trip and though it is considered a 'value' hotel by Disney standards, my kids (DS8,DD5) and my wife and I just loved it. Sure it does not have the services and amenities that a deluxe hotel would have. But, my kids just loved the all the themes of Mighty Ducks, Fantasia, Toy Story, etc. We enjoyed the pool at the end of the day, walked the grounds, ate at the on site restaurant, and played in the arcade. All the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The point is that the fun factor of a Disney (or non Disney hotel), may not always be measured in dollars, rather theming at a cheaper hotel may be more entertaining, than more formal theming at a deluxe hotel. After all, yes this is a family trip, but if the kids are not overly enjoying themselves, that is a big factor. And I can easily say, they absolutely loved the hotel and our whole trip for that matter. We probably would of stayed there again on our next trip, but now our whole family, which includes my DS3 will be joining us. Also, I second the poster who said that they'd rather stay at a 'value' hotel more often, than a 'deluxe' less often.

Anyway you look at it, you're in the World...enjoy !

legs22
09-30-2003, 01:46 PM
The best thing Disney did was build the value resorts so that the dream of staying on Disney property became a reality for people who couldn't afford the higher priced resorts.
I finally got the popular AS Movies for my Jan. stay!

robinb
09-30-2003, 02:05 PM
The OP asked for an honest opinion, which I gave in a manner to manage his expectations. My second post was in response to another poster who posted inaccurate info. What is wrong with comparring the value resorts to two well known chains which they are quite comparable to?

"Inaccurate info" in your opinion. Dragging Mr. Webster and Mobile Travel Guide into it was (1) uncalled for and (2) didn't really prove your point. It just looked high handed.

In my opinion, the All Stars are not "quite comparable" to any well known 2* national chain. I just stayed at All Star Sports last week, so my memory is pretty fresh. The All Stars are cleaner, the furniture is nicer, the pools and grounds are much nicer, the food in the food court is actually good and you have all the perks of being a WDW resort guest. The only thing similarity between the All Stars and a Red Roof Inn {shudder} is the exterior hallways. To tell you the truth, I find the All Stars and their exterior hallways less noisy than the deluxe resorts' interior hallways.

Just so you don't think I am ignorant of deluxe accommodations, here's my list of WDW resorts: ASSp, ASMu, CBR, Contemporary, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, Wilderness Lodge Villas, Old Key West, Swan. In addition, my husband is Hilton HHonors Diamond and SPG Platinum and we are always upgraded to the Executive (Concierge) Level when we stay at a Hilton or a Starwood property.

maryliz
09-30-2003, 02:15 PM
So based on the above definitions,the moderates would be considered a motel too, with a sit-down restaurant that is ??? Otherwise all of the other amenities are the same as the Values. I feel that Disney hotels are a breed all of their own, and comparing them to any Motel or Hotel, be it value/mod/deluxe level is like trying to compare coffee and tea. There is no comparison 'cause these other chains do not have the "magic". To me, a Motel is where you sleep at night with very little to do or see otherwise -- that is not Disney. I too have stayed at all levels, including home away from home villas and I would take the All Stars any day!

As far as space goes, my family of four, including 2 strollers, large cooler, clothes for all seasons, playpen, toys, Exersaucer etc have all nicely fit into a room at the All Stars. We actually found a lot less room at AKL, with the exception of the sink area.

To the OP: have a magical trip -- you will all love it!!!:D

Mary Liz

dhearn
09-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Our experience with All Stars Movies was great back in April. The kids loved it. We were not bothered with the noise as we were away from the center of it all (the pool and the food court). We were in a room on the ground level down where the giant Buzz and Woody are. The rooms were clean and the service was great! I agree that the rooms are a little small, but we spent so little time in them, that it hardly mattered. If you are looking to save some money, it's definately the way to go.

GrandmaP
09-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Well - I certainly started something didn't I?:rolleyes: To those who gave me constructive information, I thank you. To the others who chose to use my question as an excuse to air their gripes - one post would have been sufficient thank you. I got your message the first time.:mad:

I still haven't made up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the ASMo.

missypie
09-30-2003, 05:33 PM
I never seem to see any posts from the Ft. Wilderness campers. I admit that camping is not for me, but some people spend perfectly terrific vacations in small travel trailers and tents that are MUCH smaller than the All Stars rooms. If they can have fun, I'm sure that grandparents and grandkids can have a great time in an All Stars room that not only has great theming, but indoor plumbing as well!

allstarfan707
09-30-2003, 06:24 PM
I think another reason I like to stay at the All Star's is that people are very down to earth. I don't want my kids acting like they're something that they are not in order to please the people around them. We're on Vacation and I'll be darned if I have to keep them locked up in some building that sells stuff that is ridiculously priced or having them wear their Sunday best everyday so they fit in. The All Star's are for anybody who wants to have fun and are people friendly.

Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to but I couldn't keep my cool on this one. I tried to do it tactfully.:rolleyes:

sue1013
09-30-2003, 06:55 PM
AllStarfan,
I'm really hoping I have totally misunderstood your post. What I got from your post is that you feel anyone who doesn't stay at the All Stars is making their children act like something they are not. They also keep them locked up in a building where they must wear their Sunday best. And they are not friendly.
Why would you attack someone just because they do not like the All Stars? When you are in the parks can you tell who's not staying at All Stars because they are wearing their Sunday best?? WDW has many resorts because guests all have their own tastes and opinions of what they want from their vacation. That certainly doesn't make those that stay at value resorts any better or worse than someone staying at a deluxe. Open your mind its ok for people to have a different opinion than you do.

allstarfan707
09-30-2003, 10:32 PM
sue1013,

I think you did not understand me. My post was in response to another poster who felt the need to go out of her way and explain what a low class motel is. I felt compelled to write that post because I was amazed by how a person could go on and on about it and not have any respect for others. I don't think I attacked anyone, I defended my lifestyle.

You're right about WDW having many different resorts for the different lifestyles that people appreciate. I think she should have said "It's not for me" and left it alone. The fact that she had to bring in the webster dictionary and tell us what a motel was very insulting to say the least. It made her look like a snob.
THAT is a person who needs to appreciate people's different lifestyles. JMHO

bartman539
09-30-2003, 10:54 PM
Is our room ready yet? We check-in Movies on Saturday for a week. Never stayed here, but am TOTALLY sure our 4yo will enjoy this more than any other place we could of chosen.

bdpa
09-30-2003, 11:24 PM
Be sure you take lots of pictures. We have only stayed at the All Star Sports(3 times) but my kids (who are now 16 & 12) still love looking at the photos of themselves on the "x" and "o" on the football field. This is a great resort for the money. The bus service was great the last time we went. No complaints. Sometimes there were ALOT of kids..... but hey thats what Disney is all about. Have a great time.

Planogirl
10-01-2003, 03:12 AM
To the OP, you can see that the Allstars has plenty of fans and is a fine place to stay under your terms. I think that it's a particularly fun place for small children. It's not our cup of tea (and I will definitely leave it at that!) but this is just a matter of my own preference. I'm personally just a moderate hotel fan even though DS keeps asking to stay at the Polynesian :eek: but I can see why the Allstars has its supporters. It's a cute place and usually a good bargain.

ducklite
10-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by allstarfan707
I think another reason I like to stay at the All Star's is that people are very down to earth. I don't want my kids acting like they're something that they are not in order to please the people around them. We're on Vacation and I'll be darned if I have to keep them locked up in some building that sells stuff that is ridiculously priced or having them wear their Sunday best everyday so they fit in. The All Star's are for anybody who wants to have fun and are people friendly.

Sorry if I offended anyone, didn't mean to but I couldn't keep my cool on this one. I tried to do it tactfully.:rolleyes:

We've stayed at the All Stars and we've stayed at the GF, and we've worn the same clothes and acted the same way at both. The souveniers cost the same in the gift shops at both resorts. The food in Gasparillas is the same price as the food in the All Stars food courts.

People are as down to earth in one resort as they are in the next.

And keeping your kids "locked up in a building"?
As long as your clothes and body are clean and "presentable" you'll fit in as well in one WDW resort as you would in any other.

Do you think people stay at ANY WDW resort to not have fun? That's just absurd.

Speaking for myself, you didn't offend me, but you sure made me wonder just what the heck you are talking about?

Anne

ducklite
10-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by allstarfan707
sue1013,

I think you did not understand me. My post was in response to another poster who felt the need to go out of her way and explain what a low class motel is. I felt compelled to write that post because I was amazed by how a person could go on and on about it and not have any respect for others. I don't think I attacked anyone, I defended my lifestyle.

You're right about WDW having many different resorts for the different lifestyles that people appreciate. I think she should have said "It's not for me" and left it alone. The fact that she had to bring in the webster dictionary and tell us what a motel was very insulting to say the least. It made her look like a snob.
THAT is a person who needs to appreciate people's different lifestyles. JMHO

I NEVER called the value resorts low class. In fact I told the OP that FOR HIS PURPOSES THE ALL STARS WOULD BE FINE! It's called MANAGING EXPECTATIONS.

If YOU have SUCH A COMPLEX that you read more into a post than is put there, that's YOUR problem.

And I also fine it interesting that you come on to these boards all of a sudden and do nothing but post negatively about me.

Anne

Aisling
10-01-2003, 10:03 AM
If YOU have SUCH A COMPLEX that you read more into a post than is put there, that's YOUR problem.

I guess I have that problem, too.
Yes, All Stars is a motel, thank you for the definition. :rolleyes:

KdawnLily's Mom
10-01-2003, 10:05 AM
I try to stay away from threads like this but it reminds me so much of another that I couldn't help myself...
I'm surprised that the moderators haven't stopped this thread yet. It seems that a simple question has turned into something that includes personal attacks and insults- from both sides of the spectrum.
There was a post a while ago called "How do you feel about the Value resorts..truthfully"(or something like that) where most of these sentiments were echoed...only in a much more civil and firendly way. I wish I could find this thread to show that even though some posters are seeming like they are being snobbish and others are seeming like they are being way too defensive-we all realy feel that no matter where you stay at WDW it is you who make or break the Magical Experience. Even one poster who people feel it is necessary to flame replied to that thread in a positive way. We are all very passionate about WDW or we wouldn't be here on the DIS. I think to insult and patronize are uncalled for (that isn't for one person) in any of these threads. This is a great forum to discuss, plan, help and opinionate-but I just don't understand why this can't be done tactfully. I respect every poster's view of the resorts of their choice, and find such views helpful in making choices.
I am an All Star Resort Fan. I always will be. I like the quality of service that you get. My DD has stayed in deluxe resorts and value resorts and assures me that the Level of Service is the same. Now she has never stayed Deluxe Concierge, which would be much more Guest Service Intensive-but that is what conceirge is. She says that the CM's are just as attentive no matter where you stay.
The amenities differ, the corridors are different, the rooms are slightly smaller, the atmosphere (why I go) is the same for her.
GrammaP. from one grandmother to another, I think that you will have a wonderful time at any of the value resorts. Your Grandchildren will absolutely without a doubt love staying at the ASR's.

peachgirl
10-01-2003, 12:05 PM
an establishment which provides lodging and parking and in which the rooms are usually accessible from an outdoor parking area

If we're going to use Webster's as the defining source for what the All Stars are, then OKW is a motel too. I'd bet there's more than a few DVC'ers who would argue with that classification.

True, all motels are accessible from an outdoor parking area, but that doesn't mean that any place that is accessed from the parking area is a motel. The All Stars are resorts, not motels.

Since one rarely visits a Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, or Motel 6 for vacation, I don't think they're a proper comparison.

missypie
10-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Ya know, when my famiy went on vacation when I was a kid, we stayed at cheap motels and cooked in the room. That is the only way we could afford to go anywhere. The criteria for a motel were: Cheap; clean; air conditioned [we didnt' have AC at home, so a real treat]; swimming pool. We always ended up staying at some place on the highway instead of right in the city because it cost less.

If we had stayed at someplace like an All Stars when I was a kid, I would have been thrilled and would have thought we were rich.

miko
10-01-2003, 12:18 PM
My bottom line is as long as I get equivalent value for what I pay I am satisfied. The AS hotels prvide a good value for their cost. I have stayed at Movies and Music and had no problems with their quality nor lack of services. I got whatI expected. Neither stay was at a peak time so I don't know how my reaction would be during an extremely busy time but I will assume WDW adds support to meet the demand.
As far as labeling a guest at a value, mod or deluxe- I can't see how you can strictly by amount paid for room? This seems to be hidden topic within the post. I could care less what you want to call the property- a motel or a luxury resort, I only look for fair service for a reasonable price.;)

ducklite
10-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by peachgirl
Since one rarely visits a Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, or Motel 6 for vacation, I don't think they're a proper comparison.

I think a LOT of people who stay outside of WDW, particularly in parts of Kissimmee and on I-Drive might argue that statement. In fact is seems that there is an overabundance of Days Inns in the greater Orlando area.

And BTW--IMHO You really can't compare ANY WDW resort to a Days Inn or Motel 6, which have to be generally some of the the most vile places on the earth. (I'm sure that chainwide there are a few exceptions.)

Anne

Eeyore1954
10-01-2003, 02:13 PM
I NEVER called the value resorts low class. In fact I told the OP that FOR HIS PURPOSES THE ALL STARS WOULD BE FINE! It's called MANAGING EXPECTATIONS.

And I also fine it interesting that you come on to these boards all of a sudden and do nothing but post negatively about me.

Anne

:duck:

:bitelip:

Maybe this could be taken offline...

Just a thought... :headache:

peachgirl
10-01-2003, 03:47 PM
I think a LOT of people who stay outside of WDW, particularly in parts of Kissimmee and on I-Drive might argue that statement. In fact is seems that there is an overabundance of Days Inns in the greater Orlando area.

I didn't say that no one STAYS at those motels, I said they don't GO there for their vacations. Of course people stay offsite at all types of places, but I doubt they consider a standard motel their vacation destination. One could easily go to any WDW resort, never leave that resort, and yet still have a perfectly wonderful vacation. I don't think that can be said of the local Motel 6.

To describe any WDW resort as being even close to a regular motel just isn't accurate. That's like saying non-fat milk is just cream without the fat. The only thing the All Stars have in common with a standard motel is that neither have interior corridors. That can be said of many of the WDW resorts.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with any of the hotels, motels or resorts that have been mentioned. To each their own and what their own personal preferences are. We've stayed at some of the most expensive WDW resorts and we've stayed at Days Inn type motels. It all depends on what you want and what you can and are willing to pay.

crazelion
10-01-2003, 04:23 PM
I loved the All Star Resorts. They is a great value for the money. Where else can see huge icons at. I loved having a huge pool. The food court is a dream for me and mom because we both picky eats and eat like children do.

I could not afford a mod or deluxe unless its under a 100.00 dollars a night.

Would belive I going to WDW next year is thinking about staying offsite because we have a total 20 or more going. I will try to talk them staying onsite. But it will be a family decision. All we won't is a clean room and pool.

dsnylndmom
10-01-2003, 06:52 PM
We stayed at the All Star Movies this past August. I seem to be the minority but we REALLY didn't care for it. Let me start out by saying I was anticipating the rooms being small, that didn't bother me. And we are DL veterans and when we go we usually stay at the smaller motels right across the street on Harbor blvd. unless it's a special occassion. My point being we don't have a problem with small but CLEAN motels at all. Now on to my reasons for not enjoying our stay...........
We were on the ground floor of the Toy Story section and every morning and evening had to fight off the roaches to get into our room:eek: There was gum or some other sticky substance stuck all over the Toy story poster in our room, there were peeling paint, garbages over filled by the staircase, the pool area was filthy and the pool water had us itching sooooooo bad!

We did like the housekeeping, the food court and the theming was adorable! We had one reallllyyyyy good cm that got our E-Ride tix. Other than that the cm's were okay.

We switched to the Caribbean Beach on Monday(we spent saturday day and sunday there)because we were that unhappy with it and what a wonderful difference especially for only $50 more a night!!!! The rooms seem so much more spacious, the staff was wonderful and the grounds were beautiful. We were VERY happy with the CBR.

Our boys were 4 and 8.5 when we went and they couldn't wait to stay at the Buzz & Woody hotel. We all couldn't wait! But by Monday even my older son was happy we switched! He loved loved loved the Caribbean Beach, playing in the sand, the big pool, walking around the lake, seeing the fireworks from Epcot, the food court etc etc. Even my 4 year old was okay with leaving the Buzz Hotel after playing at CBR. They also had a BLAST!!!! searching for lizards and frogs and such(they still talk about that part! LOL) We would defitnely stay here again.

I'm sorry to be negative but I thought it might be helpful for you. Please let us know what you decide and have a WONDERFUL time!

wallytosa
10-01-2003, 11:49 PM
We stayed at ASM last time we went and loved it. The atmosphere is very Disney as many have mentioned. I like the hustle and bustle feel and the large characters. If you want a true Disney experience, then the All-Stars is the right place. The pools are great, as is the snack bar. If you want a fancier hotel, that is quieter and feels alot like any other upper scale hotels anywhere, then go for one of the moderate ones. I personally like the "feel" of the All-Stars. It's what Disney is all about.

TimeWarp
10-02-2003, 08:23 AM
We had a great time at the All Stars with my two boys who were then 7 & 8. The theming was so fun and I have many pictures of them that were taken at the resort...very cute. The food court was fine. The desk service was friendly. The price was appropriate. I'm sure the kids will love it.

Aisling
10-02-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm always amazed at the "when it rains, it pours" coincidences of some unlucky people, that the time some people have peeling paint in their room, they also have roaches, mousekeeping never came, the toilet overflowed, they were charged double on their room bill, the CMs were rude, and a BTG keep them awake all night. I hope I'm not jinxing myself, since I've only had one problem at a time at WDW!

KdawnLily's Mom
10-02-2003, 01:31 PM
dsnylndmom, did you tell the management of the resort about all your problems? I'm sure that if they knew the paint was peeling and there was 'sticky stuff' on the posters in your room they would have taken care of it somehow. The 'roaches' you had to fight off are at every WDW resort. They are those pesky lovebugs or palmetto bugs or water bugs or (insert your favourite name here). These are extremely common in Florida and no matter where you stay at WDW if it's the right season you can bet you will see lovebugs.. Value, Moderate or Deluxe resort.
Even in the parks and at Home Away from Home resorts too.

dsnylndmom
10-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Believe me I wish we wouldn't have been caught in the "when it rains it pours" cycle. It was our first family trip to WDW! :(

ducklite
10-02-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm one of those "when it rains, it pours" types. Every now and then the sky seems to open up over my head :(

There's always going to be something that goes wrong on a trip or with a room, and when it's one small thing, you shrug it off and chock it up to "that's life". But when it's one thing on top of another, you start to see even more things that are wrong, you become more sentitive to things that perhaps wouldn't otherwise bother you.

I've had numerous great trips to WDW. I've also had a few that fell into "Vacation Disaster" status. Regretfully some (but not all) of the latter were directly caused by problems created by WDW. On the flip side, some of my most magical memories were also created by WDW, in many cases by incredible CM's.

I think a lot of it has to do with how management handles the situation. I've had a couple of incidents that I've reported, and management took care of the situation in an effective manner to my satisfaction, or at least tried as hard as they could to make it right. :) I know that sometimes somethings just can't be made totally right when they go wrong, but knowing that the management cares enough to try their best will leave you a satisfied cusomer anyhow.

I've also had things that I've reported, and just felt like I was getting the runaround about. I had a problem at a resort where my tickets for a hard ticket event weren't coded properly onto my room key (it was a package deal) and when we arrived for the event, we couldn't get in. When I complained to the manager of the resort about it (this was only part of a long vacation disaster story) she basically blew me off and tried to hand me a few one day park hopper comps to give me the bums rush. These did me no good as we had AP's. I don't think she really cared about fixing the overall situation, and that bothered me in the long run even more than the situation itself--which is why that particular resort won't get my business in the future!

Anne

llebrekniT
10-02-2003, 06:33 PM
We have stayed at the movies and the sports. Never had even one problem! And, btw, I'm a picky person!

StrwLady
10-04-2003, 04:21 PM
The OP asked for an honest opinion, which I gave in a manner to manage his expectations. My second post was in response to another poster who posted inaccurate info.
Anne

I did not post inaccurate info. I simply stated my opinion (as you did yours). I would not compare the All Stars to a motel!!! I did state the it lacks some of the extras of the other hotels but *** in my opinion*** I would not compare them to the Hotels you did. I would say all around the All Stars far surpass those hotels. And that is ***my opinion***.

ducklite
10-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Hellloooo--

The All Stars have exterior corridors, therefore they are a motel.

Hotels have interior corridors, Motels have exterior corridors.

Anne

twinmomplus2
10-04-2003, 07:52 PM
Ok, now I will jump in on this one. My first trip with my daughter when she ws little was to CB. I loved it. We had a great time. however I did not like walking alone from the bus to the rooms with her at night. From there we Went to the Poly loved it but I was with others and I still had to take her outside to get to Captain cookes etc.... Loved it. Disliked it for only... the having to go to the Great Ceremonial house outside on the walkways. Next All Stars a very large group 45 people. had a great time, loved the food court, Kids loved the football and giant coke. in fact after the trip the giant coke was all my DS then 2 talked about. went back stayed at ASMU, had a great time stayed with another large group. walked back and forth with the group. on this trip, An Aunt and a Brother said they would Never stay At the All stars again. In fact what my brother said was he fealt like he was in public housing. :eek: Then we bought DVC. Which I was fortunate enough thanks to my family to do and now we stay mostly there. I have stayed at every level at WDW And enjoyed every property for what it was at the time. there is only one property I would not go back to and that is a moderate. If you prefer an inside corridor which for me traveling alone with young children is no longer negotible than you are in a deluxe. I also need room service on those evenings my little guys have run me down and I need a safe place to have some quiet time and relax. It all comes down to what you need to enjoy yourself and to feel safe in your travel endevours and for me No outside corridors. I am sure someone will take my comments as offensive I assure you they are not meant that way. It is very hard to list ameneties at a resort without people thinking you are being elitest, I do not think Ducklite was being so. Simply stating her 2 cents which is what was asked for. There is good and bad in every single level of service my worst experience was at a deluxe and it probably was so upsetting because I anticipated it to be of a higher standard of customer service. Ok, thats IMHO.:wave2:

NADINENURSE
10-04-2003, 08:10 PM
Just came back Monday, and can't wait to go again. ::yes:: This time stayed at ALLstar Music, food court quieter than ALLstar Movies, food court was smaller, but never had too much of a crowd. We liked ALLstar Movies better, both were fine. Kids swam at 0700, in the middle of the day at 1300 and at night until 1200 midnight. Believe it or not I also liked the exterior cooridors. My kids played lego's with others on the cooridor in from of our rooms. The first and last night we stayed off-site at CmoftInn on Idrive, clean and nice, but nothing compared to Disney magic. We found at the Wilderness Lodge, the lifeguards were no fun at all , repeadtly yelled , "no running" and the families were also very "uptight", :earseek:. Have never, never, seen a bug, dirt or anything else unfavorable at Allstar, been there 3 years in a row. Heard no noise from other rooms, even felt comfortable enought to allow 10 and 11 year olds to go swimming without my eagle eye, BUT, the Allstar resorts are large. So , I recommend spending the extra $10 a night for a preferred room , close to the big pool, the food court and the buses, it was worth it . :wave: It may be the time of year we go, no cheerleaders, no large groups, etc. That could make a big difference, so in conclusion. If cost is a factor, stay at a Allstar, if not, try a moderate, but definately, definately , stay on Disney.:bounce:

arielfan
10-05-2003, 12:44 PM
We stayed at the ASMO and we loved it and were going to go back next year in October 2004...My daughter really liked it there also it is great for kids and kids at heart...::MinnieMo

dreamflight99
10-05-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by >>^..^<<
What makes you think the kids won't remember it?

My DD9 still talks about all her vacations since she was 4 years old... she can remember all the pools, hotel, things we did... etc...

The Allstars look like fun.. give them a try.. the worst that could happen is that you will know better next time.

>>^..^<< I absolutely agree here. Our DD still recalls her early visits with amazingly VIVID DETAIL & REMARKABLE CLARITY. She's been a regular @ WDW & DL since birth, but her recollections seem to begin around age 2, and truly bloom around age 4.

I regret I am unable to offer any opinion on the All Stars resort, as we've never stayed there. Yet, I do not have any "negative" connotations associated with this resort either. LOTS of DISers LOVE this place. I would urge you to do what ever you are PERSONALLY able to swing (affordably). MOST of all...stay ON DISNEY PROPERTY. That's where the MAGIC LIVES!
:goodvibes :wizard:

Your GC will definitely remember. This will be a very special time...spent with you.

Enjoy! :wave2:

Krisu
10-05-2003, 06:28 PM
We stayed at ASMu once when we did a last minute trip. The rooms were clean, staff was nice. Our only problem was being in a room so far away. We were only there to sleep, spent all our time at the parks, but did eat often at food court (which we liked for the variety). Bus service was good. It depends on what you are looking for in a vacation. If you aren't going to take advantage of moderate or deluxe amenities save your money for more souveniers and stay at the All Stars.:D ::MinnieMo

hmp2z
10-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Hi! Ducklite is right - the exterior entrances make the All Stars fall into the motel category, not hotel. Now, you may LOVE the theming, love the food court, love the swimming pools, but they are still motels. Maybe great ones, if that's what you think. But still motels, with motel-style amenities. Although I personally have stayed in motels that offered shampoos & conditioners in little bottles, not the dispensers that the All Stars now use. They used to offer the Mickey products, a long time ago, but have stopped that now.
We stayed in the All Star Music this past time, Broadway building 8, and our room just had that classic "motel" smell. We noticed that it wasn't terribly clean, either. We were much happier with our stay at Coronado Springs. Even though it has the outdoor corridors, the theming is more elegant, the rooms are quieter (or at least when we went, b/c there were fewer kids there), and the room smell is better.
It's all what you're used to, also. We usually stay in deluxes, so it's a real shocker to be in a value resort. But our first stay at WDW was in All Star Sports, and I was fine with it, before I experienced the deluxe hotels.
We had been staying All Stars for our first night at WDW, when we get in late and can't see spending $300 for a place to crash, but have decided that we will now try the Dolphin for our first night stay. I have heard good things about it, so hopefully we will be happier there! Good luck deciding - I know your grandkids will be happy just to be at WDW!
Cheers!
Heather W

billybaruch1
10-05-2003, 08:24 PM
Hellloooo--

The All Stars have exterior corridors, therefore they are a motel.

Hotels have interior corridors, Motels have exterior corridors.

Anne

POR and CBR and CSR have exterior walkways. Are they resort motels? Motel (motor hotel) is a funny word, isn't it? :wave2: ::yes::

ceecee
10-05-2003, 08:26 PM
We have stayed at ASMo 4 times. I have always been pleased with them. They are clean and well kept and full of Disney magic. Kids LOVE the giant themes! My DD is a Dalmatian fan and we always go back because she loves it. We plan on doing a nicer one next time. The rooms are small with 2 double beds (we don't spend much time in them anyway). DD is 7 and discovered the arcade with prize tickets this time (like Chucky Cheese's) and really enjoyed a few hours doing that. Your grandkids would be sure to love this resort. My SIL hates it and said they notice a different in the "dress code" and people (she's that way) between Contempory and ASMo...they wanted to leave after one night.

ducklite
10-05-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by billybaruch1
POR and CBR and CSR have exterior walkways. Are they resort motels? Motel (motor hotel) is a funny word, isn't it? :wave2: ::yes::

Yes, technically they are.

Anne

billybaruch1
10-05-2003, 09:37 PM
Yes, technically they are.

Anne

You seem to have left your sense of humor somewhere. Maybe you could look for it in the INTERIOR corridors. Just a suggestion. ::MickeyMo

I never imagined for one moment I was in a "MOTEL" at POR or CSR. :sunny:

GrandmaP
10-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Motel or hotel, interior or exterior corridors..... It's all a moot point now because my 6 year old GD got cold feet about being that far away from her parents. So WDW is off for this year at least.:( I'm sure she'll go someday and we will certainly stay on-site. Let's just hope I'm still young enough to keep up with her.

Instead we'll be driving to the west coast and taking a pair of 9 year old GS's to Disneyland. It's a bit of a let-down for me because nothing compares to WDW. Plus there is less info out there for planning purposes. Now - back to square one.

Strings
10-06-2003, 11:43 AM
GrandmaP

I'm so sorry to hear that your trip was cancelled with your DGD. Look at it this way, she had the courage to say she wasn't ready. When I was a kid, my aunt took my DS and I to Cedar Pointe for the weekend. At 3AM Friday, my sister freaked(she was 9yo). It was so bad we had to leave that morning. I'm not bitter anymore. It's been 20yrs.:rolleyes: I'm sure you want your DGD to remember your trip as a wonderful experience,and not have tears and wishes she was at home w/Mom and Dad. You'll still have a great time at Disneyland. The trip with DGD will be even better when she's ready. Think of the extra planning time.;) Have a great time!

missypie
10-06-2003, 11:57 AM
You'll have a geat time at DLR. If you want a board that's oriented more towards DLR, try laughingplace.com. You'll enjoy it. We spent 4 full days in the two parks and I could have used another day.

GrandmaP
10-06-2003, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the encouragement. This has been an emotional roller coaster - on one minute, off the next.

Now I'm considering having the west coast GS fly to Ontario then we could still do the same trip. The cost of flights in Canada are outrageous and I still have to convince DH and GD's mother that he's old enough to fly alone. :earseek: It's doable but you'd better cross your fingers just in case. I really think he'd have so much more fun in Orlando - and so would Grandma.::yes::

dsnylndmom
10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
::MickeyMo Well if you end up at DLR you'll still have a wonderful time. As you can see I LOVE DLR!:teeth: You can stay at the DLH kids LOVE it and add Universal or Knott's Berry Farm to your trip. Along with laughingplace you can also check mouseplanet for lots of DLR info.

Whichever way you go I hope this trip goes without a hitch and is wonderful!

dogg2727
10-06-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi,
I just entered this thread and was actually chatting in the Universal Studios section. Now that I am not blacked out with my pass, I can share my fun facts, etc. Well I will start off by commenting on this thread. If you are at all worried about your kids not remembering it, then get the mind out of the garbage. First of all, it is said that children remember more because they are not only in the learning stages, but they have a brand new brain. The pureness of the child's brain is wonderful. Children remember so much you would be amazed. Now about this thread I can relate this to a recent thing. See where my mom works (yes I am only 17) she had a friend that took her 5 year old son, and left the 1 year old daughter in daycare!!!! Ok that is wow crazy. That should not be. She said that her daughter wouldn't remember anyway. BS she just didn't want to pay anymore than she had to. I mean for crying out loud, the girl gets in the park for free. If you are worried at all if the kids won't remember, then video tape the parks because trust me, the kids will say "oh I remember that" immediately. They might not know how they know it, but they will remember as the film is rolling. I remember when I was 3 every little tiny detail. Now how did I know all that, because humans remember every single thing they ever did in their life, they really just need a little push to bring those memories back to the top of the brain.

As for all stars, I will say this. For the price of it, it honestly isn't worth it right? Well, half right. See the price should be way less, but remember Disney has you in their little trap because you are staying on Disney property. Trust me, knowing you are close to the parks and that you are coming back to a CCCCLLEEEAAAANNN room is a good feeling. Those hotels outside Disney's land are bad news. Remember, Grand Floridian, Poly, and the Contemporary were the same price as the all stars. Those so called "luxury" hotels are not nearly worth their money, but Disney expands and Demand goes up so getting the $109 - $129 rate aint that bad. See I am saying all this because I am a Universal Studios snob. Trust me, for $169 (40 bucks more) they treat you the way Disney should have done it. I think Disney got so big, they aren't looking around at all they own. They need to be nice to the little guy you know. Well that is what I gotta say and I can't wait to chat more. Bye

ducklite
10-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by GrandmaP
Thank you for the encouragement. This has been an emotional roller coaster - on one minute, off the next.

Now I'm considering having the west coast GS fly to Ontario then we could still do the same trip. The cost of flights in Canada are outrageous and I still have to convince DH and GD's mother that he's old enough to fly alone. :earseek: It's doable but you'd better cross your fingers just in case. I really think he'd have so much more fun in Orlando - and so would Grandma.::yes::

Keep an eye on Westjet's fares, there have been some incredible deals to be had there lately :)

Anne

GrandmaP
10-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks Ducklite. I was talking with an agent at WestJet yesterday (very helpful people). The best price I can get for a non-stop flight is $677.49 CDN. And there are only 9 unaccompanied minor seats left. But if his Mom lefts his come, I'll take it.

I'll keep you posted. She should be calling me sometime tonight.

NADINENURSE
10-07-2003, 08:22 PM
Does this defination really matter !? :confused: The rooms are clean you are immeresed in Disney, staff freindly and accomdating. Each time we have stayed outside of Disney, Comfort Inn, Ramada Renn., something was extremey lacking. Allstar is always clean, I have asked for and gotten 8 extra pillows, all soft and not punched llttle rocks, not the same at the other places. I have always felt safe at the pools with the life guards, at the other hotels it was swim at your own risk:eek: If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them.:wave: We just came back last Sunday, and I am dying to go back.:hyper:

dogg2727
10-07-2003, 08:56 PM
he he I'm sorry are we talking about the same hotel. The all stars have stiff rock beds. I feel like I went from 21st century to beddrock. Hey 100% agree with you with the service and security and I agree that staying on property is the best idea. That is how Disney catches everyone in the trap. That room is absolutely no where near $109 a night. It should be $60. Demand made these rooms expensive. Remember when GF, Poly, and Contemporary were super cheap. Well Disney expands and jacks up the prices. I feel like I am raped at Disney. For God's sakes, can't they give seasonal pass holders free parking or like deals on rooms. But what happens, everyone still goes back because Disney is Disney. Just so you could get a taste of someone other than Disney, compare this situation to Universal.

You have a $160 a night room that is bigger and much cozier. Very luxurious for its price and the service is wonderful. You can join a free membership and after 7 stays get a FREE upgrade to a suite (see details). This is no gimic trust me, I did it. Plus get $10 free at mini bar each stay. That is just rooms. then AP holders get free parking, 20% of merchandise, food, etc. Now gee, what looks more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Disney and staying at all stars is much better then the dumps around, but I do wish Disney to think of the people then the greedy money. Am I right or am I right.

ducklite
10-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by NADINENURSE
If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them.:wave: We just came back last Sunday, and I am dying to go back.:hyper:

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time, and that the All Stars worked for you. I agree, they are certainly better than many of the off-site properties, although I've had a not clean and a not-so-clean room at the All Stars's (and one that was spotless). I've also found cleanliness problems at some of the other resorts as well to be fair.

I've stayed in all levels of rooms at WDW, and there is no way you can compare the type of amenities and service you get with an All Star room with what you get with a room costing "3x as much".

Have you stayed at any other WDW resort?

Anne

mad4themouse
10-08-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by dogg2727
he he I'm sorry are we talking about the same hotel. The all stars have stiff rock beds. I feel like I went from 21st century to beddrock. Hey 100% agree with you with the service and security and I agree that staying on property is the best idea. That is how Disney catches everyone in the trap. That room is absolutely no where near $109 a night. It should be $60. Demand made these rooms expensive. Remember when GF, Poly, and Contemporary were super cheap. Well Disney expands and jacks up the prices. I feel like I am raped at Disney. For God's sakes, can't they give seasonal pass holders free parking or like deals on rooms. But what happens, everyone still goes back because Disney is Disney. Just so you could get a taste of someone other than Disney, compare this situation to Universal.

You have a $160 a night room that is bigger and much cozier. Very luxurious for its price and the service is wonderful. You can join a free membership and after 7 stays get a FREE upgrade to a suite (see details). This is no gimic trust me, I did it. Plus get $10 free at mini bar each stay. That is just rooms. then AP holders get free parking, 20% of merchandise, food, etc. Now gee, what looks more appealing.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Disney and staying at all stars is much better then the dumps around, but I do wish Disney to think of the people then the greedy money. Am I right or am I right.

I don't ever remember the price of rooms at the Poly, GF or CR being super cheap. They have always been on the higher end of the scale. The introduction of moderate and then value resorts on Disney property was in response to the deluge of budget-priced motels that were cropping up all around the WDW area. Disney saw a market for those travelers and provided a product for them in the form of the AllStars.

There is no comparison between the Loews hotels on Universal property to the AllStars. They are not in the same league both in the area of price and ammenities. A $160/night room is still $45/night higher than the rack rate for an AllStar during Holiday Season. Apples and oranges.

And Disney DOES give merchandise discounts, free parking and exclusive room rates to AP holders. There are discount room codes and special passes for Florida residents. And like Universal, Disney provides a number of promotions throughout the year to attract visitors. Yes, the Mouse is greedy but the people who run the Loews chain of hotels are not in it for charity either. It's ALL about getting you to spend your vacation $$$$ with them.

You may prefer the hotels at Universal, but I would only consider those hotels if I was doing USF/IOA and not WDW.

dsnylndmom
10-08-2003, 12:26 PM
If some aloof snob choses not to go to Allstars and even put it down, then let them pay 3x as much for virtually the smae thing. It's better off without them. You know tht's really rude. Maybe you should read other people's comments about their stay before posting. If you would have read mine you would've seen it was a horrible stay and it had nothing to do with being a snob! It had to do with cleaniness and not wanting to share my room with roaches!!! We paid $50 more a night(I don't think that's 3x as much) for a mod. and to us it was really worth every penny. Our room was much roomier, there grounds were beautiful, clean and roach free and the rooms were spotless they most defitnely were not "virtually the same thing" as the All Stars.

The OP was asking for comments, good and bad, about the All Stars so that's what I was giving. If you've had a great experience at the All Stars that's great for you, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has. That's why Disney has different levels of hotels to fit different types of people and to give everyone a choice.

susy
10-08-2003, 01:39 PM
I don't think anyone here is trying to come across as snobby. People simply have different vacationing styles. I have stayed at all levels and never had a problem. There are even differences within the same level. After seeing the pictures of the rooms at PC, I will definitely check it out, as the rooms are one thing that I do not particularly care for at the AS. IMO, the furniture should be a little more subdued. I do like the ambience of the deluxes, but I'm really not a room-service, spa, water mouse type person. Also, since we always bring our car, we can dine wherever we want without it being a hassle. For the OP's intentions and purposes, the AS's will be fine and I think the kids will LOVE IT!!

dogg2727
10-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Just to clarify with you mad4themouse. 1.) I like all stars because I do at times take that when Universal is filled up (good reason Disney made these hotels). 2.) the prices of the gf, poly, and cont. were much cheaper back then when other hotels didn't exist and they were what they should be now. People have seen gf, poly, and cont. as the big dogs now in Disney hotels. So Disney took advantage of that. I stayed in the gf and nothing was to terribly different from the moderately priced hotels they have to offer. Why is that? Because they weren't as expensive as they use to be. Now and then are still the same.

As for loews hotels. They are way better. Keep in my I have been a Disney craze for anything Disney. When I even bought Universal tickets I was skeptical. Then I was unsure, yet, I tried their rooms. Now I am talking about RPR, but that hotel is great. Beautiful atmosphere. Countless things to do. Lovely rooms. I gotta put all stars down a notch from this loews room.

As for the parking, etc. I find it ridiculous for a florida resident to spend another $100 per person to get free parking and no blackout dates. I already paid $70 for their dumb dining card that Universal includes free along with parking and no blackout dates with their annual pass. Florida residents should be treated like gold, but disney could care less knowing the money strolls in anyway. True right.

grinningghost
10-08-2003, 04:54 PM
I didn't bother reading all 96 posts, but we've stayed at ASMU and ASMO and both were great. The rooms are a little small, but if you're not spending alot of time there, who cares?

Oh, and the food court at ASMO ROCKS! I'd stay there again just for that.:D

NADINENURSE
10-08-2003, 06:23 PM
:Pinkbounc :bounce: Not to create a war, but I have stayed at the others. Even the Wilderness Lodge where the pool lifeguard made my feel so uncomfortable, my husband even joked about the pool life guard for weeks. While there, we felt umcofortable, and soory if it offended you, but a "snoblike atmosphere" was almost the only way to describe it so everyone would get my non-verbal defination, you can't, afterall see my mannerisim over the computer. Either way, we are all Disney fanatics, so lets just leave it at that.:rolleyes: I hate when postings get argumentative, this is supposed to be fun:Pinkbounc :bounce:

Mari annie
02-06-2004, 01:04 AM
:wave:

Hi

We stayed at the All Stars Baseball-a couple years
and Surf's Up. When they first opened, the first 3 years
then went to Surf's Up.
Liked Surfs's up the Best, pool view, close to the pool and the cafetaria area.

Stopped staying there two years ago.....we go every Feb and seems like they are now renting to anyone with a credit card
college kids, high school kids, they are up all night running around yelling and kids yelling and yelling! People having infants out at midnight and small toddlers running around..... up all night frenzy place! YUCKS! After a long day starting before 6am and ending after 1130pm, we didn't want to deal with any loud noises or disruptions!
between the college kids/the cheerleaders/kids with dad's credit cards yelling and screaming and running around all night, never again!;-(
Even our kids don't like it anymore. Yes we have two.
Too crowded and noisy!
The magic of that place wore off for us!
Not as clean, and updated as the other resorts are and have to wait longer for bus transportation to the parks, too many people!!!

It's good for first timer's....

Spending hard earned money, we want clealiness and PEACE AND QUIET!!!

Just my 2cents....

We also drive from MA-MCO so that makes a big difference too!

We opt now for Deluxe accomodations, well worth the money and we always get the quietness we all enjoy!!!!

Next week we are leaving and it will be our 16th trip!
We love Orlando
Cannot wait for that warm sunshine!!!

:sunny:

goofy4tink
02-06-2004, 08:46 AM
Having now stayed at each 'level' of resort at WDW, I can say that I have no problem what-so-ever with the AllStars. In fact, I would almost have to say that I'm either staying at an AllStar or a deluxe. I'm just not sure the slides/more adult theming at the mods. are worth the money. My dd, 10, liked ASMusic more than the Polynesian. And considering the Polynesian was her dream resort, that's saying something. Yes, we did buy DVC at BWV. But, when we aren't staying there, we'll be at ASMusic. THe rooms were okay in size. If you're concerned about the size, then get connecting rooms. If you have a good rate, it's going to run you less than 1 mod. room. The food courts are really good. And as far as kids going crazy all over the place...well, we were there for the end of the Pop Warner goings on. Have to say that we had no problem what-so-ever with noisy kids. In fact, the kids at the Polynesian were much worse. It all boils down to what you are looking for. Is it a more relaxed vacation, sitting by the pool with a nice tall one in your hand? Then go deluxe. Or, are you going to be going all day in the parks with your little ones. THen go with a value resort. None of them are bad.