PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones stunt show to close

okck
09-29-2003, 12:05 PM
We were told yesterday (9/28) by a Ferry Boat Driver that very soon the
Indiana Jones stunt show was closing and in it's place the Indiana Jones ride will be put in. It will be the same as the one in California.

wdwguide
09-29-2003, 12:22 PM
At least it wasn't a bus driver ;)

The logic behind that rumor is the following:

1.) The Disney-MGM Studios is getting a brand-new e-ticket stunt show in 2005
2.) The Disney-MGM Studios has an extremely skewed show/ride ratio
3.) The existing show most impacted by the new show will be Indiana Jones, due to its genre and age
4.) Hence, Indy will close and an Indy ride will be constructed instead.

It's certainly a possibility, but according to feedback I received when I brought up this very possibility when the car show was first announced, there are no plans for an Indy ride at the Studios, and a transportation CM would be among the last to find out if such plans were being seriously considered.

Planogirl
09-29-2003, 01:31 PM
I doubt that Disney would have bothered to refurbish Indy like they did recently if they planned to replace it. But one can always hope.

Distriv
09-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Please let WDW get the Indy ride!

JeffH
09-29-2003, 04:44 PM
I would think that the Indy Stunt show would stay open until the car show is open, so destruction wouldn't begin until 2005/6 so the recent refurbishment wouldn't be a waste...in fact I imagine there may be 1 or 2 more refurbishments before that time.

DisOrBust
09-29-2003, 05:31 PM
I doubt it UNLESS it could be tied into Indiana Jones #4...When is that going to open????

WDSearcher
09-30-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by wdwguide
...and a transportation CM would be among the last to find out if such plans were being seriously considered.

Just had to smile at that.

:earsboy:

wtg2000
09-30-2003, 07:53 AM
A CM who worked at D-MGM (high up too) told me years ago they were building a giant wooden coaster in the park. Where is it?

It's possible of course, but the technology is the same as CTX although that's never stopped them before.

Actually, the Indy Ride at Tokyo Disney Sea has some more advanced special effects so hopefully if they did build one in Florida it would be upgraded from the DL version. A hybrid of the best of the two would be nice. It is the most awesome ride.

tuck
10-01-2003, 09:57 PM
the wooden roller coaster was going to be based on roger rabbits movie roller coaster rabbit to go in a land based on roger rabbit .. with a similator ride called the toontown trolly, benny the car ride like the one in disneyland, baby hermans runaway buggie ride and a few other things ... but instead they scaped the whole roger rabbit thing and a dick tracy ride and built Tower of terror and later the rock and roller coaster

lrodk
10-03-2003, 07:24 AM
This attraction is long over due IMHO. It is without question Disney's most immersive and best themed attraction. Screamscape is adding fuel to this Rumor, which is all it is at this point, in the following 10/1 update.

???? - Indiana Jones Adventure - Rumor - (10/1/03) Previous sources have claimed that an all new version of the famous Indy dark ride (Disneyland & Tokyo-DisneySea) would never make it to a WDW park because the same ride system was used for AK’s Dinosaur. However we did get an email from a park guest who took the Behind The Magic tour not long ago who was told that the Indiana Jones Stunt Show may close within a few months after the new Auto Stunt Show opens and work would begin on an all new, bigger and better version of the Indiana Jones Adventure :Temple of the Crystal Skull would begin construction. I know this ride is something that WDW fans have been wanting to come to the park for years, but it doesn’t change the fact that other good sources have told us that it would not happen. Anything is possible with Disney though, so stay tuned...

Lewisc
10-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by DisOrBust
I doubt it UNLESS it could be tied into Indiana Jones #4...When is that going to open????

It's been reported that the movie will start shooting next summer.

lrodk
10-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Indiana Jones IV, or whatever it ends up being called(it's rumored that only the screenwriter,George Lucas, and Steven Spielberg know the official title)is tentatively set to begin prouction sometime next summer. The screenplay is getting it's finishing touches and will need final approval from all three to move forward. The setting is supposed to take place in the 1950's, as opposed to the 1930's Nazi era from the first. I would think that if production begins next summer, we could have a finished film sometime in 2005. If memory serves me correctly it took nearly 2 years to complete theTemple of the Forbidden Eye. With that kind of lead time it's conceivable, but highly unlikely, that Disney could build this attraction along the same timeline. The optimist in me says maybe they'll suprise us with an announcement during next weeks press junket, but the realist in me says we would have heard something more substantial by now if this project was imminent.

Luis

Another Voice
10-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Please also keep in mind that the exact same situation has happened before...anyone remember the new 'Star Tours' film we were supposed to get for The Phantom Menance and then were supposed to get for Attack of the Clones and then were supposed to get for the in produciton Fall of the Republic?

The "rumor" is that Eisner has made it very clear that Disney parks are to used only to synergize (what a miserable word) Disney products. Period. Unless Disney gets a cut of Indy 4 it seems unlikely that the company is going to spend $100 on an attraction to hype someone else's movie.

It brings up another interesting point - has anyone seen any attempt to tie the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' attraction at any of Disney's parks into Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of Burckheimer Payout? Universal at least put a little "when in Hollywood, visit Universal Studios..." tag on the movie posters for Jurassic Park and I remember in theater commericals for Islands of Adventure before the last dino flick?

Again - if Disney is unable to cross promote a movie and a 30+ year old attraction - how are they going to do it for something new?

magicmouse2
10-03-2003, 03:33 PM
Noo!! they cant close the Indiana Jones show because I love it!!!!
And the actors - sorry stuntmen are too cute:cutie:

Micca
10-05-2003, 10:11 AM
Can't say I'd be too sad to see the Indy stunt show go. We probably saw that show 6 or 7 times and that was enough.

crystalb
10-05-2003, 10:55 AM
We saw Indy stunt show once. What's more to see?:confused:

NLK
10-05-2003, 11:30 AM
I hope they close the Indy show. We have seen it at least 3 times and that was when MGM first opened. We never go see it anymore. I don't see how they could have two stunt shows in the park either, it doesn't make to much sense to me. They need more rides at MGM anyway, and from what I hear the Indy ride is great. It sounds like it would be a good addition to the park. But, I'm still mad about the Hunchback show! I really miss it, and the best show in all the parks IMHO. ::yes::

lenshanem
10-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Unless Disney gets a cut of Indy 4 it seems unlikely that the company is going to spend $100 on an attraction to hype someone else's movie.

But...couldn't you use thsi same logic and reverse it?

Persoanlly I think the show needs to go and a ride replacemnt woudl be a huge hit.

We've seen thsi show a bunch of times and now we never go to it. Time for something new.

emmagata
10-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by crystalb
We saw Indy stunt show once. What's more to see?:confused:

So each time you go to WDW you only see the new stuff?

You've never watched a favorite movie more than once?

Why? You know how it ends.

Planogirl
10-06-2003, 01:29 AM
I've already said that I would love the Indy ride to be built at the Disney Studios but...

I have a son that drags me to the Indy show during each visit to WDW even though I've seen it enough. This show definitely continues to pack them in. The seats are always filled which can't be said for many newer shows in smaller venues. I think it's a mistake for Disney to replace successful attractions as much as I would love to see Indy the ride make an appearance.

wtg2000
10-06-2003, 06:40 AM
Rumours have been that we didn't get a new Star Tours because Eisner and Lucas weren't getting along and that ME didn't want to spend the money to promote Lucas's movie. Still, even if a ride was built it wouldn't come until several years after Indy 4 and Disney doesn't seems to have their own movies to build attractions around (Reign of Fire tanked).

All Aboard
10-06-2003, 04:35 PM
emmagata, I think that the sentiment talks back to the repeatability of an attraction on its own merit, not to ALL attractions.

The Indy stunt show is one that we never stop to see any more. And, honestly, that case began quite a while ago. Just no more interest in it by any member of our family. We'll see the Little Mermaid, B&B and Fantasmic (also Hunchback before its demise) each time we visit the Studios, but never Indy.

I don't recall reading much positive about the show amongst the day to day theme park board postings. Never seemingly mentioned as a "must see" by anyone. Although I am sure it has its fans, I suspect it has grown tiresome with many WDW regulars.

Just one guys opinion, but I hope this rumor proves to be true. Especially if the WDW version is ALL that the West Coast version is. No reductions in show, anywhere.

RAD
10-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Either totally revamp the Indy show or replace it. I'd personally like to see a "Temple of the forbidden eye" installed. While Dinasour uses the same ride system as Indy, Indy is a MUCH better ride IMHO.

lenshanem
10-06-2003, 09:00 PM
I agree Indy is way better than Dinosaur.

mitros
10-06-2003, 09:00 PM
I agree,the Indy show is kind of stale, but to look at it from a different perspective, go to the Backlot Express fast food eatery, go to the outside eating area, all the way over to the left hand part of the seating area, which butts up againest the right hand side of the Indy show, and if you go down to the fence, you can watch the stunt people changing costumes {no, nothing x-rated} and pick up their props. It's a backstage area that moves at a very quick pace. You will see how few stunt people are in the show, they just change costumes and go back out again as another character. You can also see the back of the huge movable buildings as they move them around and watch the stage hands re set things for the next show.

Grand Canyon
10-07-2003, 12:05 AM
My DSs love the Indy show!
We went to it 3 times last summer.
Also the theater is always full. What could handle as many people a day?

EsmeraldaX
10-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Does anyone know if this will still be there in Feb '04?
My boyfriend will be crushed if it's gone. :(

golfpin
10-28-2003, 05:34 PM
It was my understanding that the Dinosaur ride at the Animal Kingdom Park was the same course or track that was used in the Indiana Jones Ride. Anyone know if that is true?

wtg2000
10-29-2003, 05:20 AM
I still enjoy Indy to an extent but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it went the way of the dodo. When I used to go to UH in the 1980s on a regular basis they replaced their stunt show every few years. Did anyone see the Indy show on the New York street while the main theatre was down for maintenance? I really enjoyed that, if for no other reason than it was new and different - and I didn't know who the fakes were!

I don't believe Indy and CTX use the same track - at least from observation. CTX seems more linear while Indy always seems to be zipping around corners. Maybe CTX does that in the dark sections and we don't notice. While CTX is a good ride, Indy is a great ride.

One good thing about the Indy show is that it takes a lot of people, guests get to sit down for about an hour (and I always read people on these boards complaining about having to stand so much) and it does provide an alternative for people who can't ride TZTOT and RnRC.

jlambrig
10-29-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Grand Canyon
Also the theater is always full. What could handle as many people a day?

My guess is that this would be accomodated by the new car stunt show. Which makes this rumor a little more believable now.

wdwguide
10-29-2003, 08:53 AM
There is no way that Indy will last long after the new show opens. The car show is supposed to have seating for 5000 people and Indy seats 2000 - combined, that's the same as Fantasmic (ignoring the 3000 standing-room only slots). In any case, demand for Fantasmic on average is about 15000 per day by my estimate. Even if each of the stunt shows were only performed four times daily, that'd be 28000 seats to fill - more than the park's average visitation per day!

wtg2000
10-29-2003, 09:06 AM
These are my photos of the car stunt show in Paris I took in April of 2002 (amongst my general photos of Disney Studios Paris).

The stunt show photos are second row, second from left, 4th and 5th from left, and third row, 2nd, 3rd and 4th from left. (blame the webmaster for mixing them up!) I'm sorry I didn't take a photo of the seating. Dumb on me!

Stunt Show (http://www.themeparks.com/library-06/wdsparis/index.htm)

raidermatt
10-29-2003, 12:52 PM
lenshanem, AV's comments were about what he thought would, or wouldn't happen, not about what he thinks should or shouldn't happen.

I'm not a big fan of cloned attractions because I think it just gives people less reason to include more than one Disney destination in their vacation plans over time.

There's no reason a movie park couldn't have more than one stunt show, especially considering the difference in the shows.

All that said, if an Indy ride were built that was at least different from the DL version (but not a lesser version), that would be a worthy replacement of the Indy show.

Problem is, the part about Disney closing the Indy show seems much more likely than them replacing it with a $100+ million ride.

But I guess we'll find out eventually.

Disneybag
10-30-2003, 01:47 PM
Why not put in an INdy coaster like the one in Paris? Save some brainpower time/money and it could be up by the time the new flick comes out....and will add another coaster to the park :teeth:

wtg2000
10-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Have you ridden the Indy coaster in Paris? I don't care for it at all. In fact, it was so bad that they changed it to make it go backwards because forwards was so boring. Unfortunately, backwards is worse. I wouldn't mind an Indy coaster as long as the track layout was completely new.

Testtrack321
10-30-2003, 04:20 PM
It would be almost impossable to install Indiana Jones where the stunt show is now. Remeber that in order for the ride to work, they would need to remove the large amounts of propane lines, tanks, and the huge set pieces. Also, huge amounts of the parking lot would have to removed, and the backstage area re-tooled. Look at this view from both Disneyland and MGM from the sky to see what I'm talking about...

Disneyland's Indiana Jones Ride....

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2073&y=18707&z=11&w=1

THere are three big buildings, one is for HM (upper one), one for the Jones Ride (middle), and maintainance building (bottom, below Jungle Cruse)

MGM Indiana Jones Show

http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2226&y=15683&z=17&w=1

Indiana Jones show is lower right of Eccho Lake, the small wedge shaped building.

lenshanem
10-30-2003, 05:03 PM
Wow Testtrack321,
Very interesting. Thansk. Look slike no room unless the parking lot is revamped.
Does MGM's lot ever fill up?
Is there not room to add onto the parking lot in another direction?
think about what they did to make the additions to Disneyland!

Testtrack321
10-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by lenshanem
Wow Testtrack321,
Very interesting. Thansk. Look slike no room unless the parking lot is revamped.
Does MGM's lot ever fill up?
Is there not room to add onto the parking lot in another direction?
think about what they did to make the additions to Disneyland!

Well, it's possable, but many alterations to the back stage would be needed, and this could happer the parade route, unless they take their alternate path durring construction, which is from ToT to the front gate. And yes, the parking lot does fill up quickly many days, but the problem is that the parking lot is surrounded by either water, the park, or major roads. Disney dosn't really like to use parking structures since they usually have more hijackings, robberies, and other things in them (DCA is the exception due to land.)

Another thing that will be a problem is the fact that both Dinosaur and Indiana Jones share the same track layout. Now, not the same special effects or sceans, but they both have the same layout so some De Javu would happen. :crazy:

grinningghost
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Whatever happens, I think the Indiana Jones show is lame and I always skip it anyway.

wdwguide
10-30-2003, 07:48 PM
There appears to be enough room for a Disneyland-sized Indiana Jones ride in the exiting spot of the stunt show. The wedge-shaped buidling is just the seating area - you've got the forested area to the west, the perforance area to the east and the staging area to the south. Combined, that area is easily three to four times the size of the seating area. The Blacklot Express restaurant is certainly replacable as well if the space were needed - you could fit the Great Movie Ride in there if you wanted to. And then there are those backstage buildings that border the parking lot...

Check the imagery on Globeexplorer, it has a higher resulution and is in color, which makes the features easier to make out.

wtg2000
10-30-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the aerials. The wedge shaped Indy building is actually the cover over the audience and part of the stage. More of the stage sticks out the back and there's also the area taken up for lines and backstage. There seems to be quite a bit of land there.

Still, I don't see Disney shutting down one stunt show and building another plus the Indy ride. In effect, they'd be getting one extra show for the price of two.

hockey mom
10-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Okay, Ds & Dh love the show, the theatre is always packed! The response is always favourable, so why replace something that works? The DL Indy ride looks great & we would love to try it but to listen to 9 yr. old Ds tell us how he would like to direct an episode, well that's our Disney World!

Testtrack321
10-31-2003, 04:56 PM
The ONLY way for the ride to work in the Indiana Jones is if they replace the Backlot Express and place the entrence there, and the whole ride in the current Indiana Jones/backlot/parking lot area, but even then, MANY things will have to be removed, including the parade exit/entrence next to Star Tours, and mabey even part of the Star Tours que.

wtg2000
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
I've read rumours that plans for an Indy themed coaster as a companion to the Indy ride at Tokyo DisneySea have been scraped and now the coaster will be themed to something else. Apparently, it's due to problems between Disney and Mr. Lucas. If this is true, it seems unlikely that a new Indy would go in in Florida unless Disney have the right to build it already.

disney_ac
10-31-2003, 09:59 PM
I would certainly hate Indiana Jones to go, even though I am a huge fan of roller coasters. I dont see Disney building it at WDW though, or at least not at MGM because they just built Rock'n'Roller Coaster, and they want to keep it a family park. I doubt they would spend the money to build two coasters in a row in the same park. I would love to see the ride come to Florida, but please dont tear down the Stunt Show to do it. Get rid of something else instead (like MuppetVision 4D).

MelissathePooh
11-01-2003, 08:23 AM
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380179&perpage=15&highlight=indiana%20jones&pagenumber=2

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=425549&highlight=indiana+jones

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=372012&highlight=indiana+jones