PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had problems getting a non-smoking room?

mlbretscher
09-28-2003, 10:01 AM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever booked a non-smoking room, but then was given a room that obviously was not. I had this problem at an nice hotel in S.C. and even though I booked a non-smoking room (and nobody even hinted that this may be a problem when I booked or when I called back before we left to confirm) when we arrived it was a completely different story. Anyway, I have asthma & allergies as does DS 8, and I honestly wish I was not so sensitive to smoke smell. However, I have ended up in the ER a few times as a result of being in a room where a smoker has been, and I certainly would not want this to happen on vacation. I booked POR and since there will be five of us and we will need a trundle bed. Isn't there only one building at POR that has the trundle beds? Does anyone know if it is non-smoking? Thanks!

PS: Does anyone know how to display the count down calendars to show remaining days before your WDW trip?

Took
09-28-2003, 10:31 AM
We have visited WDW many, many times, always requesting non-smoking rooms, and, on two occasions, we had trouble getting a non-smoking room.

Once, at BWV, we were given the option of taking a smoking-optional room right away or waiting for a non-smoking room. The location was perfect, so we took it. The desk clerks said they would have the carpets and so forth cleaned and essentially "de-smoked" while we were at the parks that afternoon and they did. We also left the balcony doors open for a bit. I am normally quite sensitive to smoke smell and I never smelled smoke in that room after it was cleaned. Of course, my experience may have been unique. Other "cleaned" rooms may still smell awful! Note: I was only willing to risk this situation b/c my DD was not with us. Like you, she is highly allergic to smoke.

Another time, I asked for a non-smoking room at ASMo, and they ran out b/f I checked in. They graciously offered me a non-smoking room at ASMu, instead, and I took it.

Now, as for your situation, your limited flexibility (wanting a moderate that houses 5) may put you in a bind since you can't move to another moderate. You may want to ask for a non-smoking room for medical reasons and be prepared with medical documentation upon arrival. The hotel, I'm sure, will try to honor your needs, then.

My understanding is that no hotel is bound to give you a non-smoking room just b/c you request it, no matter what your health; but, I feel sure WDW will try hard to please, especially if you explain your situation in advance.

Kaycee
09-28-2003, 10:36 AM
My DH has asthma that is triggered by cigarette smoke, and every time we've made a ressie at WDW we tell them this and they put "medically necessary" on our NS room request. Make sure you tell them it is a medical issue with your family. That changes it from a request to a necessity, and you'll be assured of a NS room.

Kaycee
09-28-2003, 10:39 AM
Countdown timer

Just go to the main DIS forums page and look under the Technical Support heading. There are threads there that explain how to add the countdown to your signature. I'm not at all tech savvy, and I was able to do it.

ASFCurly
09-28-2003, 12:20 PM
I am allergic to smoke and when I mention that when I book the room they make a note that non-smoking is guaranteed, and it was written on my confirmation, everytime when I get to the hotel, I got a non-smoking room no problem.

kda
09-28-2003, 12:27 PM
DH and I stayed in POR once (and liked it very much) and our room had a trundle bed. It was also non-smoking. POR is a big resort, with many buildings ---- it seems unlikely to me that only one of the Riverside buildings has trundle beds, but I can't say for sure. Good luck!

Tink
09-28-2003, 02:24 PM
On our trip last year we were in a non smoking room at POFQ. The entire building was NonSmoking - 5- which is why I requested it. We had a corner room facing the pool. It was a great location and steps away from the food court. The only problem was that we had a connecting door with the room next to us. A family checked in there at the tail end of our trip and smoked in there constantly. Housekeeping "de-smoked" the room, but since we had the connecting door, the smoke seeped right back in. I went to the front desk to complain. They were able to move us to a room a few doors down so we did not lose our great location, but we were only there two more nights, so it was a hassle. Nothing happened to the family that was smoking. The CM who moved us was very nice. I yold here I liked my location but the smoke was bothering me, and kept my 11 month coughing all night. I don't think there was anything they could do to the family unless the CMs actaully saw them smoking.

Praise2Him
09-28-2003, 08:48 PM
The only time we've ever had a problem was last year at POR. You could see the sticky stuff outside the door where the non-smoking sign used to be, but it was gone, the room smelled like smoke, and there was a cigarette burn in the comforter. We were only there for 2 nights so didn't say anything, but it's my least favorite resort, partly for that reason.

Sammie
09-28-2003, 09:38 PM
we requested NS for medical due to asthma and were given a NS room that had been heavily smoked in by the previous guest. We were not able to move as the resort was sold out.

franw
09-28-2003, 10:38 PM
We have often had our rooms cleaned and ionized due to smokers smoking in non-smoking rooms. I wish there was an alarm that would go off when smokers lit up. I have a very weak immune system and cannot tolerate smoke. How people can be so inconsiderate is beyond me. My son's family once had a room at the Poly that was so bad everything they owned reeked of smoke when they got home. There were no other rooms available for them to move into and they had a new baby with them and a two year old. A front desk CM once told me that it is their biggest public relations problem at the resorts.

ducklite
09-29-2003, 05:00 AM
Frankly with my asthma, if I was put into a room that had been smoked in, I'd have to leave, and if the resort was sold out I'd have to move elsewhere, or to the ER.

If a guest reserves a non-smoking room for medical reasons, and WDW guarantees that, than IMHO it's then their responsibility to provide that. If they are sold out they have the option to move another guest or upgrade the one with the n/s guarantee, and if a non-smoking room is guaranteed, it's certainly not the guests problem that the resort is sold out.

It's beyond me why housekeeping wouldn't notice smoke in a non-smoking room and report it to a supervisor to begin with!

Rather than "Non-Smoking" and "Smoking optional" rooms, why not make a category called "Smoking" rooms, and only allow smoking in those. It actually seems to be a better solution. If you want to smoke you MUST book a smoking room.

Anne

DebbieB
09-29-2003, 07:16 AM
The problem is when a smoker checks in and there is not a smoking room available and they fuss about it, the front desk will tell them it's OK to smoke in the non-smoking room, they will even bring them an ashtray! :(