PDA

View Full Version : What's up with this???????

Margaret West
09-27-2003, 11:34 PM
I am trying to make ressies for Nov 5-9th and there are no rooms availble except for FW and AS resorts. Are all the resorts going to be full? This is the first time I have ever had a hard time finding rooms at WDW. My choices were WL, POR, and CR. I checked both online and called CRO. Even the DC and Disney Visa packages weren't available. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this could be happening?

princess angel
09-27-2003, 11:49 PM
super soap weekend! almost all resorts are full!

PTarbay
09-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Maybe you could try something like Delta Dream Vacations.Years ago I was able to get a room I couldn't get directly with Disney.I don't know if it's still that way but it's probably worth a try.Good Luck!

freediverdude
09-28-2003, 12:21 AM
I was just on the AAA site, and it's true, most of the resorts are even sold out on there for those dates, and I often have luck seeing availability on there when Disney is saying sold out. But they did have the Boardwalk standard view, All-Star music standard, or All-Star sports preferred or standard, if you're a AAA member and can reserve that way.

cshaffer21
09-28-2003, 07:47 AM
That weekend is the teacher's convention in New Jersey. All public school kids are off and I think almost the whole state travels to Disney!!! We went 3 years ago and at the beginning of some of the shows the CMs asked who was from NJ. Over half of the audience raised their hands. LOL

juliesue
09-28-2003, 08:33 AM
I am going that same weekend and was as shocked as you to find that everything was full. We are DVC and could not get into any of those resorts. We finally got, what I was told, was one of the last rooms at POR.

It is NJ week, Super Soap weekend, and the end of the Food and Wine Festival. I guess I will have to put my patience hat for this trip since the parks will be CROWDED!

Oh, well, we've dealt with crowds before. And shorts and swimming weather in Nov are enough to make it a great trip!

Poohbear123
09-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Actually, Pleasure Island will be crowded, MGM might be a little crowded, but the rides will have a 15 min wait MAX!;) MK will be crowded on Fri, Sat and Sunday. I am going to AK on Friday and MK that night! See you all there! Wear your lime green ribbons!!;)

Margaret West
09-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Thanx everyone. I will keep calling CRO and I will try my TA friend to see if she can help me find something. Keep those fingers crossed that I get a room.:)

kda
09-28-2003, 01:42 PM
The Dolphin shows availability through the Dreams Unlimited system (even with gov't/teachers/nurse's discount for $129++ and Entertainment rate around $147++). Did you try through Expedia and Travelocity (although I'd read that people could only book packages for this time period)? Different travel agencies get different allotments of rooms, and these may go back into the general Disney pool when it gets closer to the date. Good luck!

{We just happened to book that week, not really believing it would get this filled up, so let's hope it's sunny and the pool is warm. We plan to "do the parks" early in the week.}

TigrLvsPooh
09-28-2003, 03:05 PM
We were at WDW the first week of Nov. last year and it was sooooo crowded! :eek: It's soap week and jersey week, with the biggest crowds I've seen at WDW in all the times I've been.

Margaret West
09-28-2003, 03:17 PM
:( I may be out of luck for a WDW resort but might be able to get a hotel at DTD. This was a surprise trip given to me by my DH and my SIL is going with me. Just the girls ya know. I don't think the crowds will bother us that much, we are not thrill seekers and will not be riding a lot of the more popular rides;)

>>^..^<<
09-28-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by juliesue
I guess I will have to put my patience hat for this trip

Does the patience hat have ears? :p

>>^..^<<

franw
09-28-2003, 11:54 PM
Just curious as we will be there that time period, when do the crowds start to subside? Will it be that busy into the week following also? Is it possible that only the WDW resorts are busy as they are offering special rates?

toystorymom
09-29-2003, 07:54 AM
I would think that Jersey Week, Super Soap Weekend and a Tuesday Veteran's Day would keep the parks quite busy until the 11th. After that though, I think the crowds will decrease considerably. Just my guess, any other thoughts???

tardin1964
09-29-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by TigrLvsPooh
We were at WDW the first week of Nov. last year and it was sooooo crowded! :eek: It's soap week and jersey week, with the biggest crowds I've seen at WDW in all the times I've been.

TigrLvsPooh

I really find it hard to believe that last Nov. (when you were at WDW during Jersey week and Soaps weekend) it was the biggest crowds you had ever seen in all the times you been there. Looking at your list of dates you've been to WDW there are obviously some times of the year you've been there that had to be more crowded then the beginning of Nov. I don't mean to "call you out" on your post but your memory may be a little faulty.

Princessmom2
09-29-2003, 08:35 AM
It is also DTD "Festival of the arts" Friday, Saturday and Sunday. My daughter's middle school Jazz Band will be playing in the jazz festival on Saturday! (have to put a plug in for them! lol) Go listen if you have a chance--it will be at Pleasure Island somewhere. Supposed to be artists from all the country there too.

mrsltg
09-29-2003, 08:54 AM
I really find it hard to believe that last Nov. (when you were at WDW during Jersey week and Soaps weekend) it was the biggest crowds you had ever seen in all the times you been there

I was there last year during all of these events and it was the most crowded I've ever seen Disney. I completely agree with Erika. We're talking a 50 minute wait for Jungle Cruise and 20 minutes for Small World. The parks were packed!

Erin :D

tardin1964
09-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by mrsltg
I was there last year during all of these events and it was the most crowded I've ever seen Disney. I completely agree with Erika. We're talking a 50 minute wait for Jungle Cruise and 20 minutes for Small World. The parks were packed!

are you talking about the weekends being packed or during the week?

missypie
09-29-2003, 09:45 AM
Try the web sites (Expedia, etc.) that handle on site rooms. They buy blocks of rooms, so they sometimes have rooms left when the hotel is "sold out."

PTarbay
09-29-2003, 09:54 AM
You might want to try Dreams Unlimited.They got me a room at one of the hotels Disney said was unavailable.http://www.dreamsunlimitedtravel.com/reservations/index.htm

patsal
09-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Gosh, I was there in late June 2002 and found nothing over 20 minutes with a heavy use of fastpass where available. I guess it must be which days/which parks. We found it so enjoyable in June 2002 that we returned June 2003. That week of Novemer packs in a great many events and people--plan for huge crowds and filled resorts.

mrsltg
09-29-2003, 10:43 AM
I don't find 20 minutes excessive to wait

I'm talking 20 minutes for Small World ! Who waits on line for 20 minutes to ride Small World?

The parks were shoulder to shoulder Thursday to Sunday of that week. Saturday through Wednesday, they were crowded. Yes, you can get fastpass, but you don't want to have to wait and come back for every single ride. When it gets that crowded, I find it really unpleasant!

tardin1964
09-29-2003, 12:39 PM
DisneyJoe

Can you please give me an honest assessment of what you think the crowd levels will be during Jersey week. People don't seem to be thinking rationally on this thread.

I am arriving on Nov. 2, departing on Nov. 8. I can't believe the crowds will be that bad especially on the Mon, Tues, Wed. and Thur. of the week I am there.

I can't believe Jersey week can even compare to June, July....spring break, christmas/new years....or any other busy time of the year.

What do you think?

mrsltg
09-29-2003, 01:36 PM
People don't seem to be thinking rationally on this thread.

Of course. People giving you an answer you don't want to hear must be irrational. :rolleyes:

I was there last year 11/2-11/10. I vowed never to go again during that week. You have several major happenings all going on at once.

1. Jersey Week
2. Super Soap Weekend
3. Food and Wine Festival
4. Holiday Weekend
5. FTP

Anyone of those things seperately would do too much to the crowds overall, combine all five, and the crowds are bad. I've been on the 4th July, in late June (several times) and in August. The crowds last year we on par with the 4th of July and above and beyond the other Summer months when I've gone. Can you still have a great vacation? Of course. Just plan on taking things at a slow pace. It will be crowded. It won't be unbearably hot. They will probably keep MK open till 11 on the Saturday night. Plan on using fastpasses and waiting on a lot of long lines. I'm sure you'll still have fun, but doubt or call someone "irrational" simply because they have a different experience than you.

tardin1964
09-29-2003, 03:12 PM
mrsltg

There no possible way that Mon thru Thur. the first week in Nov. is as busy as July 4 or more crowded than the summer months.

I can believe the weekend will be very crowded with all that is going on, but not during the week.

Just the fact that you would make an assertion that the first week in Nov. is more crowded than the summer proves what I am saying about people being rational.

All the historical crowd level information available also goes against what you are claiming.

I can understand if you said that the parks were more crowded than you expected for that time of year.....but what your are claiming......I just can't believe it.

PTarbay
09-29-2003, 03:30 PM
There has been a question asked and people that have been there are answering based on their first hand experience.There will always be differing opinions.Read them all and decide what advice to take.People have different experiences.There must be some crowding as people can't get rooms at most resorts for these days.Some days will probably be more crowded at some parks than others.People were asked this question and are trying to help by giving their best advice and telling what they have personally experienced.I think we can all use these boards and help each other without getting personal.The advice is there and its up to each individual to decide how and what to use.I hope everyone has a great vacation.

mrsltg
09-29-2003, 03:38 PM
There no possible way that Mon thru Thur. the first week in Nov. is as busy as July 4 or more crowded than the summer months.

You're right. I'm lying. I'm telling you this on purpose and, as a matter of fact, I booked all of the rooms on property to prove a point. :rolleyes:

Go with the anticipation that crowds will be light just like any other time in the off months. Really, you should. There will be no one there but you - oh, and half of Jersey, and all the people who go for long weekends, and all the people taking advantage of FTP, and all of the people trying to get the F&W Festival, and all of the Soap Opera fans. Just you and them. Won't even notice it!!!

tardin1964
09-29-2003, 03:46 PM
mrsltg

I like the fact that even after you go on a rant like that you still have the cute smilely face after your name.

StrwLady
09-29-2003, 03:54 PM
As others have said people view crowds differently. What one sees and a horrid crowd others see as very manageable. For instance I never feel that EPCOT is crowded. Even it there's a lot of people there. Its just so open and spacious. But a friend of mine thinks EPCOT is often crowded.

I suggest you talk to the CM's when you get to your hotel. Im sure they can suggest what parks to avoid on what days and times during that week.

If it's true and there will be crowds there are so many ways to avoid them. Go to the parks early. Sure its not fun to wake up early on vacation but it might make the day more enjoyable. Use early entry if you are staying on property. Just plan to leave the parks before the afternoon crowds get in. We only do ee at the MK and try to head out before noon if doing the ee on Sunday. If spending time in Fantasy Land try to do it early morning or early/late evening. I find mid day in Fantasy Land horrid most times. If you want to skip parades and hit some rides then. Again if stay on property see if there is an E night.

Tardin you may be a Disney Regular and may already know these tips if so please forgive me for rattling on :)

The worse crowds I have seen so far was Labor Day weekend and Mardi Gras Day 2002. The Mardi Gras Day crowd took me by surprise. I had been there in the past on Mardi Gras (prior to Presidents Day) and it was very light crowds. But it happened that year that the Daytona 500 was the following weekend. That day ended up as bad as Labor Day.

I have come not to rely on typical crowd estimates. Seems every time I go during a typical low crowd time something else is going on in Orlando and brings crowds to Disney. Mostly moderate crowds but some times a bit more. I just try to make the best of it. Try to avoid the crowds if I can and have no expectations of what will we will see on that trip. Going often helps. Knowing that if we don't do something that trip we will the next.

Tardin (and those others going during soap/jersey week/weekend) I hope you find that the crowds are manageable and you have a fantastic trip!!

KdawnLily's Mom
09-29-2003, 07:23 PM
Well we booked a WDW trip in November thinking it would be a slow time of year. But now I'm expecting to be waiting in lines. Thank heaven we will have enough time to be able to visit the parks for more than one day each.

I've only experienced WDW Magic Kingdom to be extremely busy once. It was so busy the CMS were leading people out of the park behind the buildings because Main Street was so crowded you couldn't move an inch one way or another. They started moving guests out of the park because they were afraid of people being crushed.

Jacksmom99
09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
I was there with my mom last November 9-12 (Sat thru Tues) It was Supersoap weekend, Art Festival thing and the F&W festival. Saturday we shopped and swam, not really crowded, except at DTD. Epcot on Sunday was not crowded, we had a ball and never waited in a long line, used fastpasses for somethings. Moday morning (Veteran's Day) we went to MK and walked on TMR 3 times in a row, saw and rode everything mom wanted to do including SM (used a FP), and shopped. That evening we went to MGM, not crowded, but busy. Saw a few things, shopped, and caught Fantasmic.

I think the trick is to avoid MGM during the weekend, but enjoy the rest, the crowds are really manageable.

TDC Nala
09-29-2003, 08:57 PM
The worst crowd I have ever seen at the Magic Kingdom was on the Saturday before Veterans Day in 2001.

I stay out of there on those Saturdays now. I won't be going anywhere near the MK on Saturday, November 8 this year, but might go for the nighttime shows on Saturday the 15th, by which time this should all be over.

manchurianbrownbear
09-29-2003, 09:56 PM
For what it's worth, we had no problems the first week of November in 2000.

My concern this year is that after the Twins knock the Yankees out of the play-offs, a lot of the NJ natives might still be in a bad mood.;)

Dogslider
09-29-2003, 11:19 PM
You're right. I'm lying. I'm telling you this on purpose and, as a matter of fact, I booked all of the rooms on property to prove a point.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

mrsltg
That is just too funny. Odd how one minute you are responding honestly to a question and giving answers from your own experiences and instead of others just doing likewise (even if there experience is different) you get told that you are wrong in relaying YOUR OWN experience and all but out and all called a liar!

I am more and more amazed at what ever happened to just plain old decent manners.

Pam

frazzled one
09-30-2003, 06:43 AM
When I booked our 25th anniversary trip 4 months ago, I had difficulty getting the resort/view I wanted for all 5 nights, which was my first hint that things might be busier than "usual" (whatever that is) the first week of November. We don't really like crowds, either. BUT! It seems as if there's A LOT visitors in the know can do to minimize waiting in lines, at restaurants, in traffic, etc., if they've done their research. StrwLady included several worthwhile tips in her post. So now I'm trying to see our trip as a challenge - kind of adds to my Disney enjoyment if I think I might be able to beat the system, KWIM?

Dh was just saying last night that, since this time we won't have to wait for Dumbo/Tea Cups or Space/BTMR etc. (can't do coasters) , and won't have to wait in line for characters, we might be able to handle the crowds elsewhere pretty well. And I'm getting out my patience hat (with ears) too. Hope I can find one for dh!

fraz

Gottalovedisney
09-30-2003, 07:17 AM
Okay, I know it's all in how you view things and everyone's perspective is different, but last year we were there during Christmas week, 12/23 - 12/29. The first couple days were okay but from the 25th on it was incredible!!! They closed the MK on Christmas Day (we were at Epcot, which was still a zoo!) and the rest of the week was crazy! 2 hour waits for just about everything! We still had a wonderful time, how could we not, right! But I was hoping for a little less people this time! I knew it was Jersey Week, etc but now I'm hearing as busy as July 4th & the Summer! It can't possibly be as busy as Christmas, right? Please tell me I'm right:D Lie to me if you have to:p

Tracy

noel
09-30-2003, 08:27 AM
We went in 2001 around the same time in early Nov. There were some days that we waited at MGM for TOT for 30-40 min and other days or later in the same day, we walked right on. It was the same at MK w/all of the bigger rides there. We waited 30 min for Splash Mountain one day and then next went on three times in a row - the same day we waited 30 min for SM we went on Buzz 5 times in a row. So it's a crapshoot.

I am concerned that between all the events that are going on and the Fairy Tale Package deals that so many of us snagged attendance will be much higher than usual for Nov. But I also don't expect it to be Spring Break or Christmas Week busy either.

Hopefully none of us will come hope disappointed for frustrated by the crowds.

Good luck!

momof3disneyholics
09-30-2003, 08:50 AM
I'm going to be there from the 8th to the 16th. I'm thinking that after that Mon, the 10th the crowds will subside because everyone will be heading home so that their kids can be back in school on the wed after veterans day. Does this sound right to anyone else?

mrsltg
09-30-2003, 09:42 AM
There should be a pretty significant drop on Tuesday. I think that the 15th & 16th are the last days of the F&W Festival, so they will probably be fairly busy at Epcot, but other than that, it should be just fine!

crabmeal
09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
After reading some of these posts I think some scare tactics are in play. Im sure everyone;s perception of crowded is different and Im sure each year is different. I don't think he ENTIRE state of NJ is going to Disney that week. I actually know 5 families that aren't going so that will save us from monstrous crowds! We are going the 1-8 and I mentioned the crowd possibility to Dh. He asked if I wanted to reschedule. No way is he nuts! I've waited a couple of years for this trip and some crowds aren;t keeping me away!

Margaret West
09-30-2003, 06:44 PM
Sorry guys, I posted this thread and I didn't know it would be the start of a ruckus. I had just never experienced having only 2 resorts to choose from when trying to make a ressie. But just to let everyone know, I ended up changing my dates to Oct 29th -Nov 2nd and was able to secure a room at POR. I have never stayed there and we are looking forward to it, crowded or not. :smooth:
Thanks everyone;) .