PDA

View Full Version : Mugs at Multiple resorts

magsmom
09-27-2003, 03:39 PM
I just made reservations Pop Centuy and Port Orleans (10 day total). What is the policy regarding mugs when you are staying at 2 different resorts during your stay? I don't have to buy a 2nd mug at Port Orleans, do I?

What do others think about this? I remember when I stayed at CBR last August there were guests with other mugs from other resorts (and older mugs, at that, as well).

Confused, and would appreciate any input you could give.

ducklite
09-27-2003, 03:55 PM
Sorry the mugs are only good at the resort they wre purchased at. There are signs at most resort food courts advising you of this. That's why they have the resort name on teh mug rather than a generic "WDW".

Will a CM stop you for using teh mug purchased at another resort? That's a chance you need to take.

Anne

Dopey's twin Dippy
09-27-2003, 04:01 PM
I really wouldnt worry to much. I brought my 3 ASMusic and we bought 1 ASMovies mug this summer. We did see other Disney mugs. To be honest it was so BUSY that nobody noticed or would care. I have asked and they said it was fine. Plus its all one trip. So either use all from one hotel, or buy 1 dif. one. I REALLY would just go , have a GREAT time and dont t worry. Be Happy.

magsmom
09-27-2003, 04:05 PM
Perhaps I should just keep the receipt and show it is from the same trip if I am asked???

billybaruch1
09-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Please report back on your mug experiences.

Until the first person is denied a refill, all the signs in the World, as well as the cute logos on the souvenir mugs, mean nothing. I say this with all due respect to other posters who base their opinions on what they've read. I used to be one of you!

But the real Disney policy is found in the WDW food courts. In my opinion, Disney makes money whether you use the Coke machine at resort A or resort B. As I've posted on a recent thread here, I'll be going to WDW soon and I plan to find out firsthand. :)

skiwee1
09-27-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by billybaruch1
Please report back on your mug experiences.

Until the first person is denied a refill, all the signs in the World, as well as the cute logos on the souvenir mugs, mean nothing. I say this with all due respect to other posters who base their opinions on what they've read. I used to be one of you!

But the real Disney policy is found in the WDW food courts. In my opinion, Disney makes money whether you use the Coke machine at resort A or resort B. As I've posted on a recent thread here, I'll be going to WDW soon and I plan to find out firsthand. :)

Actually there was a man turned away at the Poly last October for trying to fill a different resort mug. The CM informed him that he had to BUY the Poly mug if he wanted the refills. Of course he left in a huff that made him look like a bigger moron then the one he already was! He made a complete scene but the CM refused to let him get a refill. I wa actually glad the CM stood up for the rules for once.:D

billybaruch1
09-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Okay! Now that's information. It's secondhand, but I don't doubt it. It's too bad I can't be the first one to be denied! :mad:

Here's something I can only speculate on. To you the man appeared to be a moron. But I suggest to you that to Disney he was thousands of dollars a year in park tickets, resort accomodations, food and souvenirs. You didn't happen to catch any of the conversation did you? I wonder if this resort guest was told by ANOTHER CM that his mug was good at any Disney resort? If so, I believe Disney may be "penny-wise" and "thousands of dollars-foolish." :cool:

Thanks for the info. Now I'm looking for the second person to be denied! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

skiwee1
09-27-2003, 08:39 PM
Okay! Now that's information. It's secondhand, but I don't doubt it. It's too bad I can't be the first one to be denied! :mad:

Here's something I can only speculate on. To you the man appeared to be a moron. But I suggest to you that to Disney he was thousands of dollars a year in park tickets, resort accomodations, food and souvenirs. You didn't happen to catch any of the conversation did you? I wonder if this resort guest was told by ANOTHER CM that his mug was good at any Disney resort? If so, I believe Disney may be "penny-wise" and "thousands of dollars-foolish." :cool:

Thanks for the info. Now I'm looking for the second person to be denied! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I did not hear if he had been told differently. I only heard him ranting that he only wanted a coffee and he paid for the mug. He really did look like he needed a cup of coffee because he looked very tired and grouchy! This was early in the morning and he looked like he just climbed out of bed. As far as what he might have been told in the past there was a very large sign over his head that stated the current use at THAT resort so unless he was illiterate, he could read it. Using the excuse of what he had been told before when he bought the mug would have just been an excuse. After all there are many people that remember when pool hopping was allowed. It doesn't excuse them to hop to another pool now simply because it was something they were told they could do before. There are signs all over the resorts that state pools are for resort guests only just like the mug usage signs. I feel the same about the mugs. As far as spending all that money at WDW, I do it 2-3 times a year and I would feel no differently. If anything I would be a cheapskate to sponge another $10 worth of free drinks when I just spent $4000 for the trip! Disney is a choice, not a sentence. If you want to play, you pay.

billybaruch1
09-27-2003, 10:12 PM
I don't disagree with your reasoning. I was unaware pool hopping used to be allowed. I'll defer to Disney to define a consistent mug policy, but until they do, I see a big difference between a family taking up pool space and a "mugperson" fillin' 'em up.

As far as spending all that money at WDW, I was trying to see how Disney gains by saving a few cups of coffee while potentially losing a customer for life. It's hardly relevant here whether we customers are cheapskate sponges or Disney is. You still have not proven the man was intellectually challenged or illiterate or anything else about his state of mind, except that he "looked tired and grouchy." Walk a mile in his shoes and you may be more tolerant. The key for me would be what he knew and when he knew it. (Sorry, Nixon reference, ha!) I've always said to let your conscience be your guide. You won't go wrong.

I'm openminded enough to accept new information. So far, it's about, oh, everyone, vs. the one you've cited. Does one make a trend? Maybe the "grouch" complained and the CM was let go - in the absence of information to the contrary, that's a possibility. Were there other refill denials before this one? How about any that were more recent?

Thanks again for your help and have lots of Disney days!

PTarbay
09-27-2003, 10:37 PM
I think by posting the signs they have defined a consistent policy.These are the rules.If he didn't know before that when he was told he knew then and should have just bought a cup of coffee.When I bought my original Polynesian mug I was told I could use it on subsequent trips.When we came back for the next trip I asked again because I had heard somewhere this was not allowed.I was told they could only be used on the trip you bought them and they were probably going to start putting stickers on the bottom of them with a date.I was very disappointed but if that was the rules we bought new ones.If everyone could keep bringing back old mugs and use any mug at any resort they would lose alot of money on drinks after a while and pass it on to everyone in another way such as raising ticket prices.I know we spend thousands of dollars on every trip but I love Disney and would never stop coming here over something like this.Its just not that important,we've had much bigger problems at Disney and keep coming back.Im not trying to start an argument.I am just expressing my opinion and I respect everyone has a right to theirs.Everyone have a great vacation and enjoy yourselves no matter what you decide.

Muffy
09-28-2003, 01:43 AM
I heard a CM at CSR say to a person in the food court with an old DxL mug that they could not use it there. You can use AS mugs at all of the AS resorts but you cannot use them elsewhere. You can use an old DxL mug at PORS but not elsewhere. These are the rules and it seems like WDW is starting to inforce them. I've also heard that WDW will be putting a bar code on the bottom of all new mugs. The waterparks have bar codes on their mugs and you pay a small fee to refill on your next visit.

PTarbay
09-28-2003, 01:55 AM
I like the idea of a small fee to use them on another visit rather than have to buy a new one.It seems like a good compromise.

ducklite
09-28-2003, 06:47 AM
I saw someone turned away from filling an old mug at the Grand Floridian. This would have been in January 2002.

Anne

Geoff_M
09-28-2003, 09:34 AM
As far as spending all that money at WDW, I was trying to see how Disney gains by saving a few cups of coffee while potentially losing a customer for life.Personally, I'd like to actually meet a person that would swear off WDW just because they weren't allowed to re-use and old mug or a mug from another resort. I'm sure that would be a very interesting encounter!

married2grumpy
09-28-2003, 12:52 PM
On our recent visit to POR this past July, we saw LOTS of mugs being used that were either an old design or not from that resort at all. This was the 1st time I had seen so many. We, as usual, purchased 5 new mugs for this trip even though we had recently purchased mugs during our trip in May. I did ask a CM at the register why they don't enforce the mug rules that are posted in the food court. He said that some people were told when they purchased their mugs that they were good for all resorts and for every visit. Therefore, they don't enforce the "rules" for now. I so badly want to save the $50 this November but don't know if I can bring myself to use a mug from another resort. We will have spent $150 in mugs in 6 months (3 visits). For us it is still worth the money because we do spend a lot of time at the resort and eat most of our meals in the food court. I would feel like I was stealing if I brought an old mug from home. I guess my Mom should be proud!;)

DMRick
09-28-2003, 01:29 PM
After all there are many people that remember when pool hopping was allowed.

The big difference is, I wasn't told I could pool hop forever (although some who bought DVC swore they were told that!).

Disney admits freely when you talk on the phone to them, that many cm's do (still) and have in the past told people the mugs were good forever. They also admit that last year, many started saying they were good at any resort. Although it's not the official rule, the "suits" don't tseem to care, and in fact have been known to encourage it. You'll never see thousands bringing back the mugs..most people never even think of it.

I'd like to see if anyone besides skiwee and ducklite has ever paid attention enough to hear anyone being turned down. We brought out mugs over on the boat to Ft Wilderness (they were full when we started). We were offered refills at FW when the mugs were noticed in our hands..even though they were POR mugs. We refused, because we wanted to wash them and put them in the backpack, but we were surprise by the offer.

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by DMRick
The big difference is, I wasn't told I could pool hop forever (although some who bought DVC swore they were told that!).

Disney admits freely when you talk on the phone to them, that many cm's do (still) and have in the past told people the mugs were good forever. They also admit that last year, many started saying they were good at any resort. Although it's not the official rule, the "suits" don't tseem to care, and in fact have been known to encourage it. You'll never see thousands bringing back the mugs..most people never even think of it.

I'd like to see if anyone besides skiwee and ducklite has ever paid attention enough to hear anyone being turned down. We brought out mugs over on the boat to Ft Wilderness (they were full when we started). We were offered refills at FW when the mugs were noticed in our hands..even though they were POR mugs. We refused, because we wanted to wash them and put them in the backpack, but we were surprise by the offer.

How many people does one need to hear it from for you to be satisfied? I think you will only be satisfied if you hear it for your self. I really don't care what some were told when they bought the mug. I too was told that at the WL in 2002 but I KNEW it wasn't right. How did I know? Because the 3 x 5 foot sign above the CM's head clearly said differently! Some people will only hear what they want to hear. This really doesn't affect me now but I'm sure down the road Disney will get rid of the mug program because of all that chose to abuse it. Then folks like myself who truly follow the rule will be the ones affected most. Not the ones that have weaseled $100 worth of drinks out of an initial measly $10 investment! How pathetic.l :rolleyes: Flame away!

justhat
09-28-2003, 05:08 PM
I have to disagree with the logic of comparing reusing mugs to pool hopping. Before I purchased my mug at ASMo in May 1999, I asked when and where I could use the mug. Specifically I asked because we were staying at ASSp, but I like the mug at ASMo better so I wanted to purchase that one. The CM told me it was good at any resort on Disney property for the life of the mug. Based upon this information, I chose to then purchase a mug, since I knew I could reuse it not only for that stay but for future stays. If they had said it was only good at ASMo and only on that visit, I definitely would not have gotten the mug as it would not have been worth it for me since I never drink enough at the resort on any given trip to make the mug purchase worthwhile. So when I purchased my mug, I entered into a sort of contract with Disney that my mug would be good forever and at any resort. And no, there were no signs back then that said anything otherwise, about the mug only being good for that stay. With pool hopping, however, unless someone who checked in while you were allowed to pool hop is still in a Disney resort, then they have to abide by the new rules of wherever they check-in. If I bought a new mug now then I would have to abide by the new policies governing mugs at the time I purchase mine.

Additionally, I have asked at AKL and GF on a recent rip if I could use my mug from ASMo and was told yes on every occasion (and I asked each time I went to fill it up, not just the 1st time). I didn't even mention that I was told initially that I could, they just said "sure, go ahead".

Deb & Bill
09-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Aren't these the same CM who tell us that the windows in the Swan and Dolphin are black and the rooms removable because they were going to run the monorail through them?

billybaruch1
09-28-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Geoff_M
Personally, I'd like to actually meet a person that would swear off WDW just because they weren't allowed to re-use and old mug or a mug from another resort. I'm sure that would be a very interesting encounter!

I believe "leaving in a huff" and possibly leaving an impression with other guests that one is a "moron" or a "cheapskate sponge" just might, shall we say, reduce the magical-ness of a Disney vacation. Many people are sensitive to being thought of as shoplifters when, in their mind, they are nothing of the kind.

When Disney reneges it's a cost-cutting measure designed to avoid future price increases. Oh thank you, kind sirs, can we have another? :(

PTarbay
09-28-2003, 05:39 PM
The mugs only cost 8-10 dollars in the first place.If you buy a mug like this at ant store at hme it's about the same.You get to keep the mug.It's a nice souvenir.I was disappointed when I couldn't use it again but like everything in life all rules are always subject to change.I don't think they would have any way to distinguish between the mugs that were purchased before the rules changed.Even if you have only 5 drinks it's a break even and you have a free mug that you can use for years.

DMRick
09-28-2003, 06:20 PM
How many people does one need to hear it from for you to be satisfied? I think you will only be satisfied if you hear it for your self.

I need to hear it from more than a couple..thousands upon thousands go to Disney every week..I can't believe that only you two have ever heard someone being refused. Maybe the rest of us are just too busy with our families etc, to pay much attention. I have asked everytime..every single time in each of the resorts we have stayed at (we go about 4 trips a year), and so far the food court managers have said the sign is there if they decide to enforce it. At this time they have decided not to. Again..there are lots of rules in this world, but the people who make those rules make the decisions on if they need to be used...in a small town in Upstate NY, the rule is you can't eat ice cream outside on a Sunday..but it's sold and eaten daily, including at town events..it's not a rule that is used...maybe someday they'll enforce it : )
At this time, Disney appears to not want to use those rules. Someday, when they feel like it they will..in the meantime as short ago as 14 days, a CM at a register was telling a guest at POR, that the mugs are good forever..in spite of the sign.
I'll listen to the food court managers..and I won't be at all upset once they tell me they have decided to now enforce this rule.

As always, people should just ask for themselves if they can use it. If you feel uncomfortable even asking, since the sign is there..then don't use it. Simple as that. People asking if they can reuse mugs they were told they could use, are not going to cause this whole idea to be shut down. Disney is very smart, and if they didn't want you to re-use your mug..in a NY minute a way would be in place for you to not be able to.

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 06:24 PM
I believe "leaving in a huff" and possibly leaving an impression with other guests that one is a "moron" or a "cheapskate sponge" just might, shall we say, reduce the magical-ness of a Disney vacation. Many people are sensitive to being thought of as shoplifters when, in their mind, they are nothing of the kind.

When Disney reneges it's a cost-cutting measure designed to avoid future price increases. Oh thank you, kind sirs, can we have another? :(

Who cares if this guy had a less then magical vacation. I hope that was the least of his problems to tell you the truth. Did I mention that he was dressed in a pair of terrycloth shorts and an ill fitting bathrobe? In Captain Cooks at 8am? The guy was a moron! I hope to never run into him again while at WDW. He was so nasty butting in front of everyone trying to fill his illegal mug and that is probably why he got caught, bringing attention to himself like that. I'm so glad he got busted! One down and many more to go! ;)

Canadian Tom
09-28-2003, 06:27 PM
Hello: If I were the cast member at the poly, I would have filled his mug with coffe and have him read the policy. A small cost(pennies) for a satisfied customer. Afterall if he just got out of bed, not being a coffee drinker, he probably was in great need. may have been up all night with a sick child and didn't have his wallet with him. One free coffee would have been the Disney thing to do.

DMRick
09-28-2003, 06:29 PM
that he was dressed in a pair of terrycloth shorts and an ill fitting bathrobe? In Captain Cooks at 8am? The guy was a moron! I hope to never run into him again while at WDW

And of course you listened at his door, and you know he wasn't up with a kid throwing up all night (that's so much fun at Disney), or had a wife with a migraine, etc. My you are sooo tolerant of others.

Deb & Bill
09-28-2003, 06:32 PM
A small cost(pennies) for a satisfied customer.

So, all I have to do is throw a hissy fit and get what I want. So I can have a magical vacation? I'll remember that one.

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 06:33 PM
I need to hear it from more than a couple..thousands upon thousands go to Disney every week..I can't believe that only you two have ever heard someone being refused. Maybe the rest of us are just too busy with our families etc, to pay much attention. I have asked everytime..every single time in each of the resorts we have stayed at (we go about 4 trips a year), and so far the food court managers have said the sign is there if they decide to enforce it. At this time they have decided not to. Again..there are lots of rules in this world, but the people who make those rules make the decisions on if they need to be used...in a small town in Upstate NY, the rule is you can't eat ice cream outside on a Sunday..but it's sold and eaten daily, including at town events..it's not a rule that is used...maybe someday they'll enforce it : )
At this time, Disney appears to not want to use those rules. Someday, when they feel like it they will..in the meantime as short ago as 14 days, a CM at a register was telling a guest at POR, that the mugs are good forever..in spite of the sign.
I'll listen to the food court managers..and I won't be at all upset once they tell me they have decided to now enforce this rule.

As always, people should just ask for themselves if they can use it. If you feel uncomfortable even asking, since the sign is there..then don't use it. Simple as that. People asking if they can reuse mugs they were told they could use, are not going to cause this whole idea to be shut down. Disney is very smart, and if they didn't want you to re-use your mug..in a NY minute a way would be in place for you to not be able to.

I don't like the insinuation that I was too busy paying attention to this clown instead of my family. My family wasn't even there! They were in the room getting ready and waiting for me to return with coffee and OJ. I would have loved to ignore this guy but it was kind of hard when he was butting in front of 5 others, including myself, to steal a cup of coffee. I am sure there are many that go by me and I never pay any attention. Perhaps because they choose not to act like pigs at a trough. I understand that some were told when they bought the mug that it was good forever and so on. I was told the same thing. But rules change obviously. There were no signs around years ago that stated good current stay at same resort. Now there ARE signs. So if I were to play stupid and wonder what the rules were I guess I could ask a CM knowing full well
that they are not going to confront me or I could READ the sign that Disney has put in place to answer the question. I guess it just depends on what answer I'm looking for. As I can read, I will follow the rules on the sign. It really isn't that hard to understand and I sure don't need a CM to explain it to me.

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 06:39 PM
And of course you listened at his door, and you know he wasn't up with a kid throwing up all night (that's so much fun at Disney), or had a wife with a migraine, etc. My you are sooo tolerant of others.

So now we can come out in our bathrobes because we had a sick child up all night? What does it take to throw a t-shirt on with those shorts? I WAS up all night for two nights at the Poly that trip with a sick kid. DD, 4, had strep while there. Not that particular day but earlier on the vacation. You can bet I was fully clothed going down to get a much needed cup of coffee at 6am. No one needed to see me in a bathrobe! I do not tolerate ignorance or stupidity. I say good riddance to him.

DMRick
09-28-2003, 06:49 PM
So if I were to play stupid

You don't like the insinuation that you weren't paying attention to your family, but you insinuate (actually you came right out and called us stupid which is a personal attack) that those of us who ask, are stupid? I too can read, I know what the signs say now..but I also know that Disney has decided not to enforce this rule...so I ask, in case an intolerant rude person butts into my business and asks why I'm using a past bought mug (and I'm sure you wouldn't..I'm talking about anyone who might).
I don't drink coffee..but I know some people need a cup fast in the morning. Since I would have no way of knowing that man's circumstances, I would not be one to judge him. I have no idea what he is dealing with in his personal life or room, and I'm there to have fun, not be a judge and jury about a mug. I leave that stuff up to Disney to handle..it's their digs.

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 07:14 PM
You don't like the insinuation that you weren't paying attention to your family, but you insinuate (actually you came right out and called us stupid which is a personal attack) that those of us who ask, are stupid? I too can read, I know what the signs say now..but I also know that Disney has decided not to enforce this rule...so I ask, in case an intolerant rude person butts into my business and asks why I'm using a past bought mug (and I'm sure you wouldn't..I'm talking about anyone who might).
I don't drink coffee..but I know some people need a cup fast in the morning. Since I would have no way of knowing that man's circumstances, I would not be one to judge him. I have no idea what he is dealing with in his personal life or room, and I'm there to have fun, not be a judge and jury about a mug. I leave that stuff up to Disney to handle..it's their digs.

I said PLAY stupid. People that KNOW the rule but ask anyway are not stupid. They are trying to get something that the rule clearly states otherwise. And do we really need to know the guy's background before passing judgement? He comes in with a bathrobe in a public food court, reminded me of that old character Columbo, and squeezes his way in front of the young girl trying to get herself a much needed cup of coffee. There was a long line behind her and it was so obvious. No excuse me, no I'm sorry but I've been up all night with a throwing up kid, nothing. Just creates such a ruckus getting to the coffee that a CM actually noticed him. Even if he had a Poly mug he was still rude and should have been told to leave. No one needs a cup of coffee that fast that he needs to mow everyone down in his path to get it. If it were me he pushed aside you can bet he would have gotten more coffee then he bargained for.

billybaruch1
09-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Well, this quite the barnburner, I'd say.

Originally posted by Deb & Bill
So, all I have to do is throw a hissy fit and get what I want. So I can have a magical vacation? I'll remember that one.

The alleged thief of whom you write apparently DID NOT get his coffee. He and his family may not return to WDW. Remember that, please.

Originally posted by Deb & Bill
Aren't these the same CM who tell us that the windows in the Swan and Dolphin are black and the rooms removable because they were going to run the monorail through them?

Does anyone know what the answer is to this question? I haven't the foggiest idea about what these posters are inquiring. :confused:

ducklite
09-28-2003, 07:40 PM
I'd like to see if anyone besides skiwee and ducklite has ever paid attention enough to hear anyone being turned down.

You would have had to have been deaf and blind to have missed what I saw. I was at the register paying for my food when it occured, a few feet away. The man got very beligerent and made a scene. I am pretty sure I mentioned it on these boards when I got back--if it hadn't been so pathetic seeing a grown man carrying on about a five year old mug it would have been comical.

Anne

skiwee1
09-28-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by ducklite
You would have had to have been deaf and blind to have missed what I saw. I was at the register paying for my food when it occured, a few feet away. The man got very beligerent and made a scene. I am pretty sure I mentioned it on these boards when I got back--if it hadn't been so pathetic seeing a grown man carrying on about a five year old mug it would have been comical.

Anne

He wasn't wearing a bathrobe was he? LOL! Maybe he was lost and really wanted the concierge lounge!

DMRick
09-28-2003, 07:50 PM
I don't have to buy a 2nd mug at Port Orleans, do I?

The story of the man getting his coffee is getting bigger each time you tell it LOL. Soon, he will have tossed little children aside to get his aforemention "stolen" coffee, and drank it from the spigot.

When ever someone asks about mugs, you have a long story to tell, when really, the answer is simple. The resorts now say that the mugs are good for length of stay for this trip. Everyone (well almost everyone) knows the signs are now up. However, many have been told even after the signs went up, that you may bring them back for other trips, at the register when you bought them. Some have been told after the signs went up (I know a family was told that at the POR 14 days ago, so they think they can bring them back) that they can be used at any Disney resort. Some people assume the CM's know of what they speak..(I mean gee, how many times would Disney have to get an email form the mug police, to not realize people are being told by their CM's to bring the durn thing back?) and they believe the CM. So if you are now reading here that you can't..and Disney food court managers who represent Disney, (who owns the resort, and can decide which rules they need you to follow) says you can..you aren't "playing" stupid and not reading the sign trying to get something you are not entitled to. If comfortable, just ask to see the food court manager and ask. If you don't want to..then don't : ) Don't let a few make it seem as if you would end up in prison or tossed out of the food court, just by asking if it's ok with the boss, if you re-use your mug as you were told you could. Don't mind spending another $10.00, and would rather not bring it with you? Then leave it home and pay the bucks. Gosh, is that simple, or what?

PTarbay
09-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Needing a cup of coffee no matter what the circumstances does not give someone an excuse to be rude or jump ahead of others who have been waiting and I doubt someone this upset about a cup of coffee will ever be satisfied.If someone is never coming back to Disney over a $10 mug then I doubt they enjoyed it there in the first place.Never assume every CM knows everything.I have asked 3 different CMs the same question and gotten 3 different answers but a sign stating a rule seems pretty clear.If someone tries to break the rules that is their choice but they have no right to be angry or rude when they can't get away with it.There must be a reason they put up those signs.I think they allow this sometimes because most people follow the rules.When the majority start breaking them they will either enforce it or get rid of the mug program altogether.

billybaruch1
09-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by magsmom
I just made reservations Pop Centuy and Port Orleans (10 day total). What is the policy regarding mugs when you are staying at 2 different resorts during your stay? I don't have to buy a 2nd mug at Port Orleans, do I?

What do others think about this? I remember when I stayed at CBR last August there were guests with other mugs from other resorts (and older mugs, at that, as well).

Confused, and would appreciate any input you could give.

You have all the above posts for input. Some will say asking (and listening to) the Cast Members (Disney employees) is irrelevant and you need to either take a chance or read the signs. You also asked about keeping your receipt. I wouldn't advise against that, but I'd also caution it may not make any difference. If you can not rely on what the CM's say, then it may truly be chaos. I don't think anyone but the policy wonks at Disney who thought repudiating their prior promotion would benefit the bottom line are at fault. The least tolerant posters here are only basing their opinions on what they've read.

What is clear is that so far, no one here knows what will happen when you try to use your PC mug at POR. You may want to avoid the fashion police by leaving your bathrobe (ill-fitting or otherwise) in your room.

DMRick
09-28-2003, 08:32 PM
If you can not rely on what the CM's say, then it may truly be chaos.

Umm..I actually ask the food court managers..do you think I should listen to them, or do you think they don't have a clue either LOL.

It's never chaos..since the answer (except the rude guy) seems to always be sure, help yourselves! I think some may say something to her for sure..hey, what a cute mug..is that the one from pc?

Thanks for a 'cute' post.

magsmom
09-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all of your input! Guess I struck a nerve or two.

Still have not decided exactly what to do ... perhaps the solution is to buy 2 mugs for the 3 of us per resort instead of 3.

Anyway, I do agree that the mugs make a great souvenir.

justhat
09-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I do not feel that asking CMs or food court managers if I can use my mug is 'playing stupid'. I still haven't seen a sign stating that they're only good on a current visit at that resort, though I do believe they exist, I probably just haven't been looking for them. I ask because when I bought my mug that was the policy, but I have since heard from others on this board that you can no longer do that. Since I was told otherwise when I bought the mug, which was the reason I bought the mug, I feel that the current policy applies to those who bought their mugs under that policy. We also have a Blizzard Beach mug from 1996 and were told we could only use it that day. We abide by that (as we would have to anyway since they have bar codes or something there now) and do not refill that mug at any resorts. We only use the mug from ASMo that we were told we could use till it broke. So rather than assuming everyone who asks about the mug policy is 'playing stupid' stop and think that maybe they have a valid reason.

aalan
09-28-2003, 11:44 PM
here we go again....

hmmm, maybe if disney provided coffee makers in ALL the rooms (like, oh say like super 8 and other DISCOUNT chains do) we wouldn't have had this problem....but that is another post.

i think its crazy to think a mug is good forever for refills.

when its busy, its anything goes: i've seen folks using glasses and 64 oz. seven-eleven mugs in the food courts at p.o. and c.b.r. that doesnt make it right.

i take anything a cm tells me with a grain of salt. there are some amazingly uninformed cm's working at disney, most notably in the food courts.

the mug is one of the few bargains, especially if you are a big soda drinker. in the overall scheme of things, this should not be a big deal. as another post mentioned, just 5 drinks and you have paid for the mug.

what's the big deal?

robinb
09-29-2003, 12:08 AM
magsmom:

Yes, you struck a nerve :). The same posters (including me ;)) are always in the great Mug Debates. Someone asks the question every couple of months (or so) and we're off!

Here's my opinion.

Buy your mugs at the first resort (PC, right?). When you move over to the second resort (PO-R) ask the manager if it's OK to use your PC mugs since you are splitting your stay between 2 resorts. If s/he says "yes", fill 'er up! If s/he says "no", you have 3 more attractive souviners :).

It's easy and above board.

BONZO
09-29-2003, 07:06 AM
Just a thought - has anyone e-mailed Disney to enquire about the "official" line about this?

(BTW - I just love these mug debates!)

;)

skiwee1
09-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by BONZO
Just a thought - has anyone e-mailed Disney to enquire about the "official" line about this?

(BTW - I just love these mug debates!)

;)

Yes I believe one of the mods did email Disney and they said the mugs were for current stays at that resort only. The mod usually posts his response from Disney whenever one of these questions get asked. I guess he isn't here any longer? Anyway while I do think mug reusage is wrong I really don't hate the people that do it. This one particular man was just SO obnoxious. Unfortunately I found out during a recent party that one set of my friends are mug reusers and another set are mug reusers AND poolhoppers! Ack! And I told them they were pathetic too! They just laughed and said they didn't need a thousand mugs as the go to WDW about 10 times a year. They also said they paid for a deluxe and feel they should be able to hop to any pool, which they do. Awful I tell you, just awful! LOL!

DMRick
09-29-2003, 08:03 AM

Sure..it's been posted along with pics of the signs (if you write Disney, they will send back the "official" rule..if you call, and actually get a person, she tends to blow it off, quoting official, and then saying "but it's not enforced"). Everyone agrees on the "official" policy...but just like bringing food into the parks (official policy is no food), Disney seems to have many rules inplace....some (like the mugs) they seem to encourage you to not follow. Some people follow all the rules, some follow some of the rules, some follow the ones that make sense to them, and some follow none. Some decide not to follow the mug rules, because when they purchase the mugs (even now) cm's at the register and food court managers tell you they are good forever : )

Dalpal
09-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Just a little thing that we saw when we were at ASMu last July.
I was sitting at our table eating, and a couple of teen boys in line for the drinks had a little ketchup cup each.
They would fill up this paper cup and drink the soda from it and fill it again and drink.......over and over.
Until they saw a CM notice them ,then they took off.
The funny thing to me was that everyone in line waiting just stood there and waited.......No one said anything to them ...that I could see .....Just waited there turn. It amazed me.:eek: :p

PTarbay
09-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Tell your friends if they feel if you stay at a deluxe you should be able to pool hop then those of us paid more for our new mugs should be able to have refills but not them because they paid the lower rate.LOL

skiwee1
09-29-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by PTarbay
Tell your friends if they feel if you stay at a deluxe you should be able to pool hop then those of us paid more for our new mugs should be able to have refills but not them because they paid the lower rate.LOL

LOL! I just couldn't believe it when they told me that. These people can afford to go to WDW 10 times a year yet feel it's okay to reuse the mug . If they go 10 times a year with an average of 7 days a trip that is alot of free drinks. As far as poolhopping I thought that a worse sin! They hopped quite a bit to AKL and the Allstars pools. Their DD likes the Allstars pools but they hate the hotels so they just hop to the pools. They were even staying at the Beach Club! Doesn't the BC have Stormalong Bay? I've never been to that one but heard it has a great pool. Most of the time they stay at SOG which means they do NOT pay deluxe prices but more in the value to mod range yet still feel they can do whatever they can do what they want. I think it is a dangerous slide. First mug reuse and next poolhopping! LOL!

DrTomorrow
09-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Soon, he will have tossed little children aside to get his aforemention "stolen" coffee, and drank it from the spigot. Well, at least that avoids the mug use problem; is there a "Drinking resort coffee from the spigot" thread? ;)

Aisling
09-29-2003, 09:22 AM
I want to save a few dollars just as much as anyone else, and I admit I'm a rule-tweaker, but if I saw a sign saying the mugs can only be used at the issued resort and only for that particular trip, I wouldn't even ask. I know CMs most of the time let it go or even say it's plain ok, but I would just be uncomfortable doing it if the sign was clearly in my face.
I don't think it's wrong if people want to ask when they are there, even if they see the sign, because the rules have not been consistently upheld. But I don't think it's right to just go ahead and expect to be allowed to get away with it when there is a sign.

I don't think Disney should allow people to use their mugs from previous trips, but I do think they should allow people to use their mugs at any resort, ie Beverage Station Hopping!

Dalpal
09-29-2003, 09:40 AM
I agree with this!

Aisling
I don't think Disney should allow people to use their mugs from previous trips, but I do think they should allow people to use their mugs at any resort, ie Beverage Station Hopping! [/B][/QUOTE]

DMRick
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
mugs can only be used at the issued resort and only for that particular trip, I wouldn't even ask.

Just curious :D if you had just bought it (while signs are in place) and were told you can bring it back on future trips..then what? Or even if you bought it last year and spent the $50 on 5 mugs only because you were told they were good forever (like the hoppers..what happens if you bought park hoppers and Disney decided they were only good for the year you bought them..after the fact). Figure the CM or food court manager is a nutcake Disney hired for telling you that and just rebuy them?

As an aside..our old hoppers have plusses left on them..but they are worthless. Why? Because when we bought them, you had to use the plusses within so many days of the first park use of your ticket..what if Disney decides to go back to that? I bet those who bought the newer hoppers and were told the plusses were good forever, would not be happy campers. Yes, you are talking about a different amount of money..but one person's $10 maybe another persons $30 (for a leftover plus)

Jillpie
09-29-2003, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DMRick
[B]The story of the man getting his coffee is getting bigger each time you tell it LOL. Soon, he will have tossed little children aside to get his aforemention "stolen" coffee, and drank it from the spigot.

Now that visual had me laughing right out loud, omg, that was a funny one!

Something I don't get on these boards. When ever there is a room occupancy question out there (you know the one, 5 people in a room), these posts get deleted after about 3 responses.
Why, oh why don't these crazy mug ones go bye bye too? Its the same mug/pool hop police responding to each and every one. It gets just plain old.

So what is the answer kind webmasters?

skiwee1
09-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Jillpie
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DMRick
[B]The story of the man getting his coffee is getting bigger each time you tell it LOL. Soon, he will have tossed little children aside to get his aforemention "stolen" coffee, and drank it from the spigot.

Now that visual had me laughing right out loud, omg, that was a funny one!

Something I don't get on these boards. When ever there is a room occupancy question out there (you know the one, 5 people in a room), these posts get deleted after about 3 responses.
Why, oh why don't these crazy mug ones go bye bye too? Its the same mug/pool hop police responding to each and every one. It gets just plain old.

So what is the answer kind webmasters?

And I was just thinking why this is even allowed at all on the board. On the intercot board if anyone questions reusing mugs, poolhopping, or parking in the resorts to get in the parks, the thread is locked. The mods state the "official" Disney rule, says that intercot does not allow voicing or promote anything to get away with going around the rules, and then they lock the thread.

Eeyore1954
09-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Maybe these threads are not locked because it is so amusing watching the self-appointed "mug police" getting their knickers in a knot over this issue each time it arises. Sometimes I think WDW should change it's tag line from "The most magical place on earth" to "The most policed place on earth. :rolleyes:

Aisling
09-29-2003, 10:42 AM
Just curious if you had just bought it (while signs are in place) and were told you can bring it back on future trips..then what?

DMRick, if there was a sign in place, it doesn't matter when the CM tells me. I wouldn't want to chance humiliating myself by possibly being scolded by a CM at the refill station!

And I was just thinking why this is even allowed at all on the board.

Skiwee1, I think the mug issue is a legitimate question, only because the rules are inconsistent and so it causes confusion. It's good to find out about other people's experiences so that we can make our own decisions. Disney obviously has a rule, since they have signs up saying what is not allowed. But CMs have said otherwise. Why should this be a banned locked topic? I want to know what the situation is from person to person.

At another hotel, there is a sign which says NO ADMITTANCE on a gate next to the pool, but a CM saw me looking through the gate and opened it for me to go in.Should I have said, "no thank you, I'll just walk aroung to the other side because of the sign,"?

Maybe we should just start a policy here on the Dis and ask everyone to follow it if they have a mind to, that we will follow the official rules at Disney.

Trekker
09-29-2003, 10:53 AM
YUP! I'm the mod that e-mailed Disney. The answer is:

*Officially* the mugs are good for the length of that stay at that resort (or a sister resort, ie: the Allstars)

Many posters have been told different things - each one needs to make thier own decision on what to do.

This is not the debate board! Posting Guidelines (http://www.wdwinfo.com/guidelines.htm)

This one is locked!