PDA

View Full Version : Ever shared a room with the in-laws before?

llebrekniT
09-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I can't believe we've done this twice!
:eek: We have stayed in a 2 BR at OKW 2x with my DH's parents, sister and her family. It wasn't always easy and I think after the last time I decided never again, but some of my best memories and (definetly most of the funniest) come from those stays.

Just wondered how many have done this and what the results were. Would you do it again?

I'm still thinking it over. I think it must be like childbirth, after a while you forget the pain and all you can remember is the happiness.:D

zurgswife
09-27-2003, 03:27 PM
A 2 bdrm at OKW isn't what i had in mind when you said share a room...I thought you actually meant share a single room...could you imagine...not with my inlaws...we did share a 2 bdrm once for 3 days with my mom and her dh...wasn't too bad and we split and adjoining room with my mom only once....but I could never share a single room....

miche61
09-27-2003, 03:53 PM
We did not share one room. We shared a joining room with my in-laws. That was okay, because the kids got to take turns sleeping in the other room with g-ma. I'm not sure I could share a room with MY mother, she snores WAAAAY too loud. I think as long as you take time away from each other once in awhile it'll be okay. Just remember, you're not glued to each other for the entire trip.

colleen costello
09-27-2003, 04:11 PM
My sainted hubby often shares a room with HIS inlaws, as we travel a lot with my parents. We usually stay at OKW and the room is so nice and big we do fine. I often say that OKW is so nice you could stay with anyone... However I don't think I would like to share a "regular" room with anyone -- too much togetherness! I like to have privacy at potty time and bed time! :)

CamColt
09-27-2003, 04:49 PM
We did..or I should say DH did.
We, which consisted of myself, DH, my mother, DSs(then 1.5 & 4.5) spent 5 nights in 1 room at ASMO and 1 night in a room at the Poly. Plus we drove, 24 hours both ways, in 1 car. Not only did it work out fine, but we were more than glad to have DM along.

Now if we were talking about my MIL this would be a whole different thread. There is NO way that would be happening.

mep319
09-27-2003, 06:39 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...NO! My MIL would drive me insane...we took a cruise with her once and being on the same ship was enough for me! She will be in WDW (staying off site) while we are there this October (staying at AKL) and the fact that she bought tickets for MNSSHP the same night as us irrates me...she drives both of us crazy I may add! I can't see how it would ever be worth it!

Purrrrfecta
09-27-2003, 10:44 PM
we did this once 4 in a room (mom, son, husband and me) for two nights b4 we transferrerd over to AKL.
Let's just put it like this - the husband said, "never again."

He forgot he even said that when I mentioned it to him recently.;)

kdonnel
09-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Three years ago we shared a 2 bed room at OKW with my in-laws and my parents for a week. For two nights during the trip my grandparents were also there.

There were 6 adults and a 1 year old. (8 adults for two days)

We had a great trip.

In just a few days we will be going again to celebrate our sons first birthday.

This time we will have a 2 bedroom for the parents and a studio for my wife and kids and I.

The only condition this time was no one wanted to sleep on the sleeper sofa. It was not that it was uncomfortable as much as it was not very private.

CarolMN
09-28-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kdonnel
...(snip).....The only condition this time was no one wanted to sleep on the sleeper sofa. It was not that it was uncomfortable as much as it was not very private.

Exactly! We've shared a 2 bedroom with family members seveal times, but no one ever needed to use the sleeper sofa in the living room. They were all wonderful trips - the more so because the living/kitchen area was available for those who liked to get up early (5 am) or stay up late (1 or 2 am). IMHO, more than 6 people in a 2 bedroom is too many, LOL!

P.S. I also thought the OP was going to relate that they all shared one room and I have to admit I was cringing! Just can't imagine that would be a good experience no matter how well one liked/loved the parents or in-laws.

Micca
09-28-2003, 02:06 PM
We have taken many trips with my DMIL who is a delightful travel companion. DW and I get a room, and twin DD's(when they were little) get to sleep in a separate room next door:Pinkbounc What a treat for our DD's to sleep in the same room as their DGM:teeth: Sometimes one DD would sleep with DGM while the other stayed in our room. It cuts down on the fighting siblings always seem to get into. As wonderful as my DMIL is, I don't think sharing a room is a good idea.

TigrLvsPooh
09-28-2003, 02:13 PM
We have shared a two bedroom villa with my dh's parents, and also shared a regular room with dh's mom. I think it's great, we all get to vacation together, and they help with the kids. :)

llebrekniT
09-28-2003, 02:29 PM
I didn't realize how "share a room" would sound. With my DFIL you would not want to share a room because of the one bathroom situation. What is it with old men and the reading in the bathroom?;)

The time we shared the OKW there were 6 adults and 3 kids, so it was spacious, but after so long the walls do start closing in around you. Better to do this for a couple day trip, I think. I'll admit that I'm probably the hardest one to room with due to my being a very light sleeper. The night owls would stay up late enjoying "beverages" and talking and I couldn't sleep. Then my dear, sweet nephew thought 6:30 a.m. would be a good time to start the day and since our bedroom adjoined the living area, I got to start my day early too. Everyone else was able to sleep throught it though, so it really was my own personal ordeal.

I look back now and I never frown :( , I always smile and sometimes laugh out loud at the times we had. Now the family has grown by 2 more babies, so I doubt we'll be doing it again.:D
That makes me smile too.:p

KathyFP
09-28-2003, 02:41 PM
We haven't spoken to MIL in two years. I don't ever have to worry about that dilemna.

missypie
09-29-2003, 08:54 AM
I would never do that to the poor ladies in Mousekeeping ... because after about a day my head would simply explode!!!

BethC1952
09-29-2003, 09:03 AM
Okay, from the "old folks" point of view--

We've shared rooms with our son and daughter-in-law many times, although not at WDW, yet. We're doing five night at PO Riverside together in December in two different stays, and we'll be just fine. In between those two stays, we have two separate rooms at PO Riverside, and two rooms on Wonder for four nights.

We travel together frequently--we even went on their honeymoon, although we didn't share a room then!

We also live next door to each other, and spend most of our time together. I know it's an unusual situation, but we're more like friends than family. It's a shame that not everyone can experience this!

Last December, we took my FIL with us to PO Riverside and shared a room. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, if my MIL had gone, I probably would have stayed home!

Beth

taylor1293
09-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Yes! My MIL went with us on our last trip and we had a great time.

We stayed at 3 resorts, including all 5 of us in just one room at the Hard Rock and had no problems at all :).

We were together 12 full days including 2000 miles of travel in our van!

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Teresa

deadheadbelle
09-29-2003, 03:32 PM
We have stayed twice in a 2 BR Villa at OKW with my parents, my brother & his family. DH, DS & myself had the master, my brother's family had the other bedroom (they had 2 kids at the time & needed 2 beds), & my parents slept on the sofa bed in the living room. We had a great time. Yes, we got on each other's nerves a bit, but the good times definitely outnumber the bad. Actually, there probably wouldn't have been much tension at all if my SIL was a heavier sleeper. She would get mad at my brother for talking and having a few beers with us after she had gone to bed. We are all scared of her, though & would try to be quiet. The problem is, my brother is not scared of her & would keep talking & driving her nuts! The best part was when my son (2 years old at the time) would get up early & wake her up (hee hee)! Gee, llebreknT, our families sound an awful lot alike! :p

llebrekniT
09-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by deadheadbelle
We have stayed twice in a 2 BR Villa at OKW with my parents, my brother & his family. ..............Actually, there probably wouldn't have been much tension at all if my SIL was a heavier sleeper.

I feel her pain. It's so hard when you are a light sleeper and share a room/villa with someone who isn't considerate. People who can sleep through anything aren't very sympathetic. The only way to teach them is to get up in the middle of the night and shake them out of their beds. I couldn't do that though because, number one I was too tired and finally sleeping and two because I woudn't want to get up in the middle of the night knowing I only had a little while longer 'til that kid (my nephew) got up! I should have gone to their bedroom (it was in the quieter area of the villa) and gotten in bed with my DBIL, because after my nephew got up, he got to sleep in!

A small price to pay for such great memories though!;)

Barbruka
09-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Did this once and never again. (Besides FIL has since passed away.) In 1987, on our 10th anniversary, dh and I were going down for a long weekend. Inlaws wanted to come too. Said they would split cost of room for two of four nights. They snored terribly! Kept me awake all night for two nights. And they never gave us a cent. (And they are very wealthy). We had no privacy until they took off for realative's house after two days of this. That was a terrible trip.

Disney Doll
09-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I suppose that it depends on how well you get along with your in-laws. DH and I travelled several times with his parents, stayed in a regular hotel(as opposed to a suite type hotel where you might have 2 BRs)and always got separate rooms.

In a 2BR DVC ubit, it probably would have been alright, except for my DMIL'ssmoking, which I don't think I would have been able to tolerate. They did come with us once to WDW several years ago, we stayed in separate rooms at the CBR. They were somewhat physically debilitated at the time, so we ended up having to push them in wheelchairs when there were no scooters available. but noww that they are both gone, those are some priceless memories.

TigerLilly's Mom
09-30-2003, 01:46 PM
We are doing this next year with my parents in a studio and DH, DD, DS, and I, AND MIL in a two bedroom at BWV. God help me!! Now, she is a wonderful Nana to my kids - which is why we invited her, and I think on vacation she will be fine, but it just may put me over the edge of sanity. LOL My own mother may also - so it is just not the MIL thing. They both spoil my kids and I find myself holding my tounge quite a bit. My DD - now 5 - didn't hold an eating utensil in her hand until she was four around them!! I'm like - 'she will eat if you don't feed her - I promise!!!" LOL

missypie
09-30-2003, 02:02 PM
I really envy all of you who have great relationships with their in-laws. I honestly didn't set out to dislike my in-laws...I can't imagine that I'll remember our times together fondly once they're gone! (The people on my DH's side of the family live a lot longer than the folks on my side, so they may well outlive me!)