PDA

View Full Version : AKL Concierge Room Location Question - Help!!!

lat
09-26-2003, 07:46 PM
I just received the package from AKL concierge which contains a map of the resort.

We have 3 rooms reserved for 1/1 and 1/2 for 2 nights. I am trying to figure out which trail has the best animal viewing and still be close to the concierge lounge. We will have 5 kids in our group and I would not want them to wonder off too far.

Can someone also tell me where is the lounge located? There is no special indication on the map.

Thanks a lot!!

>>^..^<<
09-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi...

The lounge is on the 6th floor. If you look at your map it is directly above the entrance to the hotel.

The best animal viewing area for concierge guests are the rooms on the 5th floor just off the lobby on either Kudu or Zebra trail facing the Arusha Savana which is the large horseshoe shaped savana on your map.

If I were you I would request 3 rooms adjoining on the 5th floor.

There are a very few savana view rooms on the 6th floor (where the lounge is) and they overlook the sunset savana and do not have that great a view.

How old are the kids? my DD9 had no problem going to the lounge is is a short walk to the elevator on the 5th floor and one stop up.

Have fun

>>^..^<<

lat
09-26-2003, 08:42 PM
>>^..^<<

Thanks a lot. That was exactly the info I was looking for.

The kids' ages are 10, 8, 5, 2, and 1.

I will call on Monday to add the additional room request regarding the view.

I spoke to 2 people at AKL's planning office over the past week and they are both wonderful. I have already booked the sunrise safari.

I know you stayed at BC concierge before moving to AKL concierge. How was the move relating to the luggage, and how was it when you went over to AKL from BC? Did you prefer one over another? We are staying at YC concierge for 6 nights and then AKL concierge for 2 nights. Would like to move over earlier, but do not want to deal with the buses on NYE, YC offers a better location for that reason.

Thanks

>>^..^<<
09-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi.. AKL Concierge blew BC concierge out of the water...

The transfer was painless... I told the concierge at BC my bags were ready to go to AKL... the bellman picked them up and I enjoyed my day.

When I got to my room at AKL I made a quick call to the Bell desk and they were up in 5 minutes.. it was really great service.

I stayed at AKL concierge for 9 nights last year and 3 nights (after a week at BC) this year... I can't say enough good things about it.

I can't imagine your 2 year old will be wandering around AKL by themselves LOL.. but the older kids will be fine.

Are you doing the sunrise safari? I would not recommend it for the little ones... but the 5 year old and older kids would love it.

>>^..^<<

lat
09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
>>^..^<<

Yes, my brother's family and my parents are doing the safari. I booked for 7 people including 3 kids for 1/3/04, the day we check out. The kids are 10, 8, and 1. I hope they will really like it. Even though I heard the reservation is 90 days out, but they can book this earlier. So they are in already.

DH and I plan to just enjoy AKL for 2 days with our 2 little ones.

I would love to stay there longer, maybe next time if we really like it.

Why do you say AKL blew away BC at the concierge level? How was the bus service while you were there?

Thanks again.

Bete
09-26-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm jealous lat. I haven't recieved a package and my dates are before you?

Did you have to ask for it?

I did get signed up for Sunrise Safari; so, I'm lucky on that count. I've talked to Concierge and they asked me a few questions and that's all.

I'm a scrapbooker and I sure would like to get the package. Besides, it sounds like it can help with knowing the lodge a little bit more.

Thanks in advance.

lat
09-27-2003, 01:50 AM
Bete,

I am sure yo can just call them and ask them to send you the packet. I called them today and asked them to send my brother and sister the same packtets too since I reserved 3 rooms under my name and my brother's and sister's families will enjoy getting htem as well.

Good luck and I would love to hear how your trips goes.

>>^..^<<
09-27-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by lat

Why do you say AKL blew away BC at the concierge level?

How was the bus service while you were there?

The AKL bus service was excellent with only one trip that felt too long and that was Disney Westside. We were going to Disney Quest and the bust stopped at Typhoon lagoon and Downtown Disney Marketplace first....

As for concierge... I guess the "main thing" is the lounge. I adore the AKL lounge, I love how it overlooks the lobby and it is huge and airy and open. It is a treat to go up there, a wonderful place to start your day, a wonderful place to end your day with a nice dessert.

At BC the lounge is a little tiny room and although it is pretty it is not anywhere you want to spend time in... we ate and got out, and more often then not we just picked up a drink or a snack and took it with us.

It closes occasionally for them to change the food service or vacuum.. where at AKL you can always go up, any time of the day and have a drink and sit down (even if there is no food)

One day at BC Noel went to get a coke and was taking forever to come back to the room... eventually I went to check on her and she was just standing waiting outside these big closed double doors to the lounge. It was another 15 minutes before she could go in... I felt sorry for her , she said "Mom I tried to open the doors and they told me NO! and to wait"

I found the lounge staff are much friendlier at AKL... they acknowledge you as you arrive or depart whereas at BC they seemed to keep their heads down and avoid eye contact. AKL staff would always greet Noel by name and have a little chat with her. They gave the kids puzzles and things to color and at BC I saw no interaction with the kids at all.

Our room at BC was such a long walk from the lounge... down a long long hallway, with no windows just a real long boring walk.

At AKL the walk is glorious... the lobby is breathtaking and the halls have big picture windows overlooking the savana and there are displays of African art throughout the hotel.

The food offerings were just as good at each hotel... BC with more traditional foods like fish and chips and corndogs and AKL with more exotic foods like beef and shrimp satay.. etc.. the desserts were better at BC.. AKL has cut back their dessert selection since I was last there... BC had the best carrot cake :)

The rooms were the same size at each resort and the housekeeping was excellent in both places. We enjoyed our view of the giraffes at AKL more than our view of the boardwalk from BC.

The whole feel of the AKL screams "deluxe"
the lobby, the restaurants, the rooms and hallways... at BC the lobby was very small and really nothing special, I could have been a moderate hotel.. I just didn't get that awed feeling, also the restaurants were ho hum, as the staff as well.

At AKL you can participate in the sunrise safari and they really treat you well.. at BC they have nothing special for concierge guests.

The itinerary planning at BC this year was outstanding and we were spoiled with concierge gifts in the room all week.

AKL Itinerary planning last summer was also very good and both stays we received a gift of a hand carved giraffe in our room.

These are just my personal feelings comparing AKL to BC, others may LOVE BC and think I'm nuts. :p

>>^..^<<

lat
09-27-2003, 07:53 PM
>>^..^<<

Thank you VERY MUCH for your reply. I love Amy at YC concierge planning. She is absolutely wonderful.

From reading your post, I was almost tempted to move all of us to AKL for our entire stay. However, since most of the members in my group have either never been to Disney or have not been there for years, I decided to stick with our plan to be at YC for 6 nights and then move over to AKL. Also, if I move to AKL and cancel/shorten YC concierge, I will feel very guilty by having Amy make all of our PS.

We have another trip coming up in mid-October, however, the one that I am really looking forward to is the Xmas one with everyone there.

Thanks again.

I also wanted to mention that I religiously read your trip reports everyday while you were there. They were GREAT!!!