PDA

View Full Version : Need help! Beach Club or Boardwalk Inn?

SnackyStacky
09-25-2003, 03:58 PM
I have a reservation at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for my honeymoon, but I'm thinking of switching it to an Epcot resort.

The most important thing at this point is being able to see Illuminations from our room balcony. While I know that requests are never guaranteed, which resort would offer better views of the fireworks if I were to be so lucky as to get a room with such a view?

I was looking at the resort area map, and it seems like the Beach Club would have the best views, but would I need to pay for a water view, or a standard view?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

jel0511
09-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Actually, most of the rooms at the BC wouldn't have a view of Illuminations. Almost none of the rooms at the BC face the right way, so if there are rooms at the BC with a view, they are very few and far between. I'm not sure about the BWI, but I believe those rooms that will have a veiw are some of the garden view rooms, again based on how the building is situated to where Illuminations shows. Now, the YC does have the most rooms that would have a view of Illuminations. We have stayed in one of those rooms, and a lot of the water view rooms at the YC have views, again based on the situation of the buildings. We stayed in 3025, which was the longest walk of my life to our room, but we had one of the best views of Illuminations. I say one of the best, because BCV's also have WONDERFUL views of Illuminations. We stayed on the 5th floor overlooking the World Showcase. We had the BEST view of Illuminations, most of the lower fireworks as well, at the YC you could only see the higher ones. Remember that most of these rooms are limited in numbers, and you'd have to make a request to receive one, and it wouldn't be guaranteed.

DebbieB
09-25-2003, 04:18 PM
I've stayed at both, the rooms are setup exactly the same. There aren't many rooms at either that have an Illuminations view. I think your best chance would be a courtyard or water view at Boardwalk. The best part of either is being able to go to Epcot for Illuminations and walk right out the International Gateway to your hotel. You can also walk to MGM, it's farther than Epcot or you can take the boat.

You may want to consider renting points from a DVC member for either Beach Club Villas or Boardwalk Villas 1 bedroom. That would give you a king size bed, a jacuzzi, huge bathroom, living room & full kitchen. I consider them to be the ultimate in luxury. Most of the standard view Boardwalk Villas have an Illuminations view. We had one last year across from the bus stop on the top floor.

TWOOD
09-25-2003, 04:19 PM
We've had great Illuminations views from both resorts, standard view. We could easily see the high fireworks, but sometimes not the lower ones. To be quite honest, our best views were from the Dolphin - once, we could see them perfectly while laying in bed there & another time, we'd sit on our balcony. We also had an awesome view from the our BWV studio, preferred view. We rented DVC points, which is usually much cheaper than deluxe rooms with special codes. That's what my man & I are doing for our honeymoon, & I can't wait! ;)

ducklite
09-25-2003, 04:39 PM
Your chances of geting a fireworks view room at any Epcot resort hotel aren't all that great, there are a very limited number. The chances are much better at the BWI than the BC though.

The main reason I'd choose the BWI is less kids. The BC generally crawls with them, the BWI seems to have a disproportionate number of adults than any other WDW resort.

That said, I'd probably choose to keep my room a the AKL. They seem to be the most generous with upgrades and event celebrations, of course it's never guaranteed. Watching the animals from your balcony at the AKL is simply increible.

Anne

SnackyStacky
09-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone for your help! :)

Anne, the reason we're switching from the Animal Kingdom Lodge is simply because we'd like a few more options recreation and dining wise. My fiancée and I both would love to stay there, but we're thinking of saving that for a shorter trip.

And hearing all of these opinions and past experiences is a great help. I guess we'll just have to "deal" with not being able to see the fireworks from the balcony! ;) (I say that very tongue in cheek...I'm gonna be on my honeymoon....I don't think too much is going to bother me)

I'm still torn though. Anybody that can offer any other suggestions, past experiences or tips about either the Beach Club or the Boardwalk would be greatly appreciated!

And the Villas are a great idea, but I think once again, we'll save that for another trip. I'd rather not have to worry about points, and trusting someone to make the reservation, and no housekeeping....all something that I'd be better prepared to deal with on a non-honeymoon trip! :)

jel0511
09-25-2003, 05:48 PM
SnackyStacky - you can stay at BCV through CRO and pay a cash rate directly to Disney and get daily housekeeping, you just have to ask to see what availability they have.

ducklite
09-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Jel makes a good point, although the best views go to members staying on points.

A garden view at the BWI will be the best chance of getting a fireworks view.

Anne

Terry S
09-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Here is a post from a few days ago that someone posted of a standard room at the Beach Club that had a view of the higher fireworks. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=442806

Lexxiefern
09-25-2003, 06:17 PM
We stayed at the BWI last January. We were in a standard room on the 5th floor and we had a fabulous view of the fireworks! I just requested a room on a high floor with a pretty view. I think you would have the best chance of getting a fireworks view at the BWI and you wouldn't have to pay for the water view (like you would at yacht club). BWI is wonderful, it is my DH and my favorite place to stay!!

SnackyStacky
09-25-2003, 06:18 PM
I had actually seen that thread before Terry!!! Thanks so much for linking me back to it. That was actually what sealed the deal for me! :)

I just got off the phone with Disney reservations, and I have a reservation for a standard view and had the agent note all the same requests as the original poster in the other thread (just the requests, not the specific room number! :) ). Once again, I know they're not guaranteed, but it's worth a shot to ask.

Thanks so much for your help everyone. I'm really looking forward to the proximity to Epcot, as well as all the other dining options.

icelady
09-25-2003, 06:32 PM
You only can see the high fireworks from the Inn.

hulabird
09-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Hey Snacky-
You and your fiance will probably be creating your OWN fireworks anyway! :tongue:

SnackyStacky
09-25-2003, 10:37 PM
Hulabird, I know! :)

I will call back tomorrow and also ask them to note that I'd love a high floor, and will also subtly work it in that it's my honeymoon. :)

Once again everyone, thanks so much for your help!

HunnyBunny
09-26-2003, 10:18 AM
SnackyStacky,

Definitely tell them that it's your honeymoon! and tell them when you check in and when you go buy food!! and when you go to the parks. get it in at every opportunity. You may be surprised when a CM will do something special for you.

BW is my favorite resort. You and your dh will find many things to do there and you'll find the proximity of the resorts very nice. If you are not able to see fireworks from your room, you can always take a short stroll to the bridge between BW and BC and watch the fireworks from there. There is eve a gazebo to relax in.

Enjoy your trip and congrats!

SnackyStacky
09-26-2003, 10:48 AM
HunnyBunny,

Actually, it'll be my DW and I. Yes, I, the useless male will be planning the honeymoon!!! LOL!!! :teeth:

I was torn between the Boardwalk and the Beach Club, but I selected the Beach Club because from photos I've seen, I prefer Stormalong Bay to Luna Park, and from maps, it also seems like the Beach Club has the edge on being closer to Epcot.

BUT, I'm very anxious to try ALL of the Disney resorts, and my fiancée has wanted to stay at the Boardwalk since it opened, so it will definitely be on our agenda at some point.