PDA

View Full Version : AE article from today's Sentinel

Dznefreek
09-21-2003, 09:19 AM
There's a new alien in town at Disney
Sep 21, 2003

Going once, going twice . . . The Alien Encounter attraction at the Magic Kingdom, the show that Michael Eisner himself once shut down because it was too tame, will close for good Oct. 11.

To take its place, Disney is creating an attraction based on Stitch, the outer-space creature from the Lilo & Stitch animated movie. The new show opens next fall -- in plenty of time for Disney to take advantage of the huge popularity of the '02 movie, which has spawned a sequel and TV show.

For the record, Disney honchos will not confirm the Stitch stuff -- but insiders say there is no doubt that a show based on the tiny alien warrior is in the works. And here's a neat fact: The show will be the first Disney attraction based on a production done in Orlando, where animators worked on Lilo & Stitch.

As for Alien Encounter, Disney junkies may remember that it encountered some early turbulence. The show takes place in a darkened theater where an alien supposedly has gotten loose, and was opened in 1995 as part of a makeover of Tomorrowland.

But A.E. got the thumbs down from Eisner, who sat through an early showing and ordered creators to make it more intense.

They dutifully did as the Big Guy said. And, interestingly, Alien Encounter has always gotten complaints that it is too scary for some of Disney's pint-size fans.

44sun
09-21-2003, 09:16 PM
:mad: No! No! No! Jeeze, I guess I can scratch ANOTHER ride off my wish list! That's one we were really looking forward to. Thanks for the info. :(

tuck
09-22-2003, 11:12 PM
ADD new attactions Disney not replace...........It's getting to the point that Disney closes down like timekeeper and not replacing it... but instead replacing a E-ticket attaction that allways has long lines......... If brother Bear is popular this Fall.... Splash Mt. might become bear Mt. you never know.........

Planogirl
09-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by tuck
If brother Bear is popular this Fall.... Splash Mt. might become bear Mt. you never know.........
THAT is an interesting thought. And maybe Pirates will be refurbished to be more like the movie and The Haunted Mansion... Naw.... :eek:

d-r
09-23-2003, 09:19 AM
I'm a lot more apprehensive that brother bear may push Humphrey out of wilderness lodge than I am him shoving any of the brer's out of their mountain.

I think you will see brother bear in the redwood playground area at dcl over by grizzly river. They ought to put the country bears over there too.

ohanafamily
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
I wonder what the new ride will be like, I had heard that they were just going to add a Stitch presence to AE. I wonder how much of the existing ride will be used?

:bounce:

daber
09-23-2003, 11:58 AM
There is an upside to this closure! I was talking to a CM on Saturday and they said, "Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress" will be opened on a more frequent time schedule to fill the void left in Tomorrowland with the closure of AE". Again, any truth in that statement may or may not change with the wind.

degenerationxwwfwdw1
09-23-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by daber
There is an upside to this closure! I was talking to a CM on Saturday and they said, "Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress" will be opened on a more frequent time schedule to fill the void left in Tomorrowland with the closure of AE". Again, any truth in that statement may or may not change with the wind.

That's the only upside :D

princessandie77
09-23-2003, 04:59 PM
My not the popular thing to say but "good". I didn't like it. and I LOVE STITCH!

Dznefreek
09-23-2003, 05:30 PM
"Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress" will be opened on a more frequent time schedule to fill the void left in Tomorrowland with the closure of AE How about opening them up to fill the void their closings left!

Legends of Horizons
09-23-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by daber
"Timekeeper and Carousel of Progress will be opened on a more frequent time schedule"

While this should be a good move, "more frequent" could mean anything. That still doesn't sould like we should look for them everyday, or even to keep regular park hours.