PDA

View Full Version : Three days at Cocoa Beach? Enough to do?

abitjaded
09-19-2003, 02:38 PM
We managed to bag cheap airfare for our cruise. But this has left three days after. Got a decent special for WDW before.

1. Is there enough to do from Cocoa Beach for three days? I figure one day at Canaveral (kids are 7 and 10), then what? Is the wildlife refuge worth a whole day? We do like bird watching and would like to see manatees. Suggestions?

2. What about a place to stay? Is it easy to get to the beach from the Radisson? I'm getting pretty high quotes on the other hotels on Dave's web site, with the exception of the Holiday Inn, but pretty bad press. Is January crowded there?

3. Has anyone ever swum in the ocean there in January?

4. We love tide pools, etc. Anything like that on the beaches?

Carla

Buckaroo's Dad
09-20-2003, 06:19 AM
Hi Carla.

Three days at Cocoa Beach? Enough to do?

My son and I spent a couple of days at Cocoa Beach about two years ago. In my opinion it's terrific if you appreciate overpriced hotels, average food and non-charismatic people - all squeezed within the boundaries of a culture-starved community.

Yes, Kennedy Space Center is worthwhile, but you can just as easily arrange a visit while lodging in the Orlando area...

izzinmac
09-20-2003, 09:44 AM
BD's assessment is right on! Cocoa Beach in January becomes inundated with Snowbirds from the northeast (i.e. NJ/NY). As a result, hotel prices are unreasonably high, waits for average food are long, and the personality deficiencies so aptly described by BD are at epidemic proportions. Add an influx of aggresive driving and the picture is complete. However us culturally starved locals love the money! Keeps us in moonshine and gator tail!

snelsonbrown
09-20-2003, 12:17 PM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BUT I AM NICE AND I AM HERE
(But lousy at entertaining :D )
All kidding aside - I agree there is very little to do in Brevard County especially for children - we do have the beaches, but how long can you stay at the beach - Winter is the time for the Northern's to come down and it is wall to wall traffic - now I do have discount tickets for the Kennedy Space Center that takes about a whole day to really get everything in - then there is Brevard Zoo from which I have been told, it is quite a treat for kids - we, unfortunalty, do not have enough to do for children -
I keep making this known, but I am put on the ignore button.
As much as I hate to admit it, Orlando does have a lot to do for kids/family.
If you are interested, I can call some of the hotels that I know people at and see if they are giving any local discounts.
Just drop me a note at snelsonbrown@aol.com
Always
Shirley

abitjaded
09-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Yipes, Is there anyplace good nearby? We used to go down to Naples or Ft Myers where we have relatives and found the same thing, Snowbirds, high prices and cold beaches. We would like somewhat of a "nature interlude" after WDW for five days and the cruise. A house or condo, cook for ourselves, etc. But you guys make this place sound AWFUL. Shirley, found one funky house on Presidential Court, right on the beach, which we'd love, our kids are happy just playing on the sand, bicycling, etc. But the owner wants $300 a night!!!!! Plus, I got quotes for that short period to go back to Orlando and THAT was expensive. What ever happened to low season?

Carla

Dave_from_Marietta
09-21-2003, 02:54 PM
It's not <b><i>that</i></b> bad... it's just not someplace where you'd want to spend a week. And while there isn't any five-star dining around, there are some good options... Alma's Trattoria and Roberto's Little Havana come to mind.

As far as a nice place to stay, my choice for the nicest property is the Resort on Cocoa Beach.

www.vrivacations.com/resorts/rcb

gassmandy
09-21-2003, 03:01 PM
Izzinmac was being a little sarcastic. We live here and actually LOVE it here. If you like the beaches, you'll enjoy it. Can also go to the St. Johns River and do an airboat ride and see lots of aligators and other wildlife. The Brevard Zoo is supposed to be excellent....Jack Hanna was soooooo close to coming to it permanantly but (of course) Busch Gardens was able to pay him alot more.

oligracemom
09-21-2003, 03:45 PM
I consider myself rather charismatic..hard to believe I live in Cocoa Beach! :p

The beaches are great in January. The water is chilly and its certainly not as warm as August to lay out, but our January weather is hard to beat. Merritt Island is 10 minutes away and has some good restaurants (Carraba's, Outback, etc.) and lots of shopping. Cocoa Village is just a few minutes from MI and it is a quaint area with a wonderful park, boutiques and awesome places to eat.

My husband says the average age in Cocoa Beach in January is "deceased" but there are still some fun, non-cranky people living here! :)

LR

abitjaded
09-23-2003, 09:46 AM
You locals are too funny. Coloradans make fun of our Texan tourists a lot too, but we complain more about the young hot shot snow boarders who take over the mountain areas in the winter, backward baseball caps, pickups 90 mph on slick highways, too much beer and worse. But not as bad as all those crazy cowboys during January Stock Show!

Dave, The Resort at Cocoa Beach does not have any two bedrooms for our dates. Their sister resort, Discovery Beach Resort does, though. Do any of you know this resort? They also suggested waiting until the end of November to reserve, since owners deadline will have passed and more may be available, but that is a long iffy wait for an over-planner such as me.

Carla

izzinmac
09-23-2003, 10:49 AM
Carla,
I will try to be more to the point of your post this time!

If you are having trouble finding what you want in Cocoa, have you considered staying up or down the coast further away? Melbourne Beach is not as "touristy" as Cocoa Beach, but there are some nice oceanfront hotels. There is a Raddison, Hilton and Holiday Inn within a mile of each other. Don't know how prices compare, but should be easy to check. Beaches all along the coast are pretty much the same.

Another option would be another hour south at Disney Vero Beach. I know it would be pricey, but it certainly has the activities and ambiance to make your three days very nice. The city of Vero Beach is very nice, and nearby is Sebastian Inlet with a state park and lots of access to wildlife activities.

Going north, St Augustine is a 2 hour drive and is obviously very historical. As a former Californian (sorry), it reminds me a lot of the more developed California Missions. with lots of historical buildings and tours.