PDA

View Full Version : Western excursions for grandma

CVW
09-19-2003, 02:01 PM
My mom and her husband are traveling with us on the Western 7 day for their dream vacation: baby sitting on a cruise. She says she wants to just stay on the boat with our littlest one, but I'd like to get her an excursion or two if there's something she would enjoy that's low-impact.

Key West looks like a no-brainer with the trolley tour. Castaway Cay is pretty straightforward.

What about Cozumel and Grand Cayman? Are any of the ruins tours easy on the legs? Anything out there besides shopping?

Favorite Auntie
09-19-2003, 02:16 PM
You might want to just let her stay on the ship like she wants. I know that when I cruise with my parents (both in their 60's) they prefer to stay on the ship and enjoy it when there are little to no crowds. This is what my mother looks forward to the most!

CVW
09-19-2003, 02:24 PM
The problem is, I know my mom.

"I just want to stay on the ship," actually means "Don't mind me I'll just stay here on the ship. Go have your fun without me while I slowly age toward my imminent demise."

Those of you with moms can understand...

Okay, those of you with MY mom can understand.

abitjaded
09-19-2003, 04:00 PM
Can't help with Western excursions, but maybe I can help by saying I REALLY understand.

Carla

Buckaroo's Dad
09-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Hi CVW.

Western excursions for grandma

Take the whole family, including your Mom, on the Stingray City tour offered by Captain Marvin's. The boat is comfortable and offers ample shaded space. Cold drinks are provided as well. She doesn't have to go in the water but just in case I'd recommend she wear a bathing suit. Tell her to wear a two-piece (that way you guys can argue about the type of bathing suit rather than whether or not she joins the rest of the family for a truly fun time!).

Are any of the ruins tours easy on the legs? Anything out there besides shopping?

No, the ruins tours are not easy on the legs. There is another option, however. I hired a private tour company to take Mom on an air-conditioned mordern van tour of the island of Cozumel while my son and I went on Wild Tours ATV adventure. The guides will also take Mom shopping if she so chooses and she could always ask to be dropped off at Cozumel Sally's Mini Golf for a round of 18 holes.

CVW
09-21-2003, 04:48 PM
I hired a private tour company to take Mom on an air-conditioned mordern van tour of the island of Cozumel

Tell me more.

Buckaroo's Dad
09-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Tell me more.

CVW - I can't recall the name of the tour operator we used, but they seemed to be more of a "middleman" in the tour industry. Hold on.

Just gave DM a shout - she's here visiting till next week. She and DS are sitting in the other room, munching on fresh jumbo shrimp I picked up earlier in the day and sipping homemade iced tea. Yes, today life is good... Anyway. DM said she recommends touring in this fashion. The van was comfortable, the guide was a gentleman (whatever that means - lol) and she learned a lot. My recommendation would be to ask Cozumel Sally to list a couple of reputable tour operators go who are offering this type of service. Basically, we got lucky...

CVW
09-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks. If this trip works out, I just might win the "Offspring of the Month" Award from her. I haven't gotten my name on her plaque in sixteen months, when my little girl was born.

My younger brother's always a lock. He lives a lot closer, and handles kvetching a lot better than I do. (Quite a talent considering we're not Jewish.)

My sisters haven't gotten the award since the late '70's. You don't want to know.

Anyway, I'll dedicate it to you and this board if I win. Just hope she remembers how to spell my name at the engraver's.

Dean
09-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by CVW
The problem is, I know my mom.

"I just want to stay on the ship," actually means "Don't mind me I'll just stay here on the ship. Go have your fun without me while I slowly age toward my imminent demise."

Those of you with moms can understand...

Okay, those of you with MY mom can understand. I have a mom and Grandmother just like that. Come to think of it, my wife is a little that way as well. I hate having to figure out what was said, then jump to what was meant. Maybe it's the X chromosome talking. Just send her on one or two and get her to help you figure out which ones with help from the website and this board.