PDA

View Full Version : Seasick Injection...does it work?

oceanluvn
09-18-2003, 06:53 AM
We are going on our first cruise Jan. 31, 2004 to the Western Caribbean and I am really afraid of getting seasick. I am extremely sensitive to motion and have tried the patch, pills and bands to no avail. Has anyone ever had the shot that the doctor gives on the ship to treat this....and did it work? I know I will LOVE the cruise if I can avoid getting sick! Thanks!

Kabuli1
09-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi, sorry I can't give you any help in the injection thing, (tho I did have it once for acute labyrinthitus - didn't help!) but if you're with us on the Magic on 1/31 - please join our thread! right now it's on pg 1 of the forum. We've got a great group going. My Dh uses the patch for his seasickness, which works for him.

Karyn

eek40
09-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Ocean,
Heres an idea for you to try for your cruise. First off I know this doesnt work for everyone. Visit your family Doctor before you leave and ask for some anti-nausea medicine I think its called Phenagren(spelling?) It comes in either gel you rub on to your wrists or in a suppository. I use the gel and it works like a charm. You rub it on your wrists when you feel sick and then rub it on your tummy. This way if you start getting sick you have something to make it better, quickly..it takes about 10 min to work. Also other tips that work for me are to not drink (the adult drinks:) when I first get on the ship, and also to arrive the day before the cruise so I am not already kinda dizzy from, driving to the airport, flying, driving, then getting right on the ship and moving again. Also try and stay up on deck until you get used to the movement of the ship, if your in your room you tend to feel a bit more sick. Other things that work are apples, and ginger. There is a point when you first leave the port about an hour after you start that you hit a bit of a gulf stream that makes it rocky but it passes by fast and you will be fine. Good luck!
Aimee

golfpin
09-18-2003, 12:28 PM
On my first cruise we had the remnants of hurricane Hugo and the ship rocked quite a bit, especially in the stern. My bride, newly weds at the time, turned a shade of green and we went to the ship doctor who gave her the shot. She then slept for 12 hours and was fine after that (I do not recommend this, especially on your honeymoon). We have gone on two Disney cruises and I have never found the motion sever, but my nephew and sister in law are very prone to motion sickness so they purchased sea sickness bands. What they are is an elastic band that has a round marble or bead inside. You place the bead on the inside of your wrists, three fingers down from you hand and the counter pressure stops the motion sickness. Unbelievably it works!!. They have used it on both cruises and swear by it. These can be purchased at Longs or Walgreens or you may have to call around. They also have them in the store on-board I believe.

ColeenD
09-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Oh, Ocean, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I can't ride in the back seat of a car. On our Bermuda cruise, I was SOOOOOOOO sick I literally could not lift my head. I got the shot from the ship's Dr. and it worked well for a few days, until we hit rough seas again. I got sick again, even tho I was still taking the pill form of meds he gave me. (here's a tip, I didn't have trip insurance, so the shot cost me $154!!!) I get the insurance all the time now. Since then, I have not sailed the Atlantic. I had beenon two other Caribbean cruises prior to Bermuda, and was nauseous even using Bonine, ginger, wrist bands. Did Port Canaveral to Bahamas last Aug., then the Disney Wonder in Dec 02 and Mar 03. Used the patch all 3 times.....NO PROBLEMS at all! I would pay $100 for that patch now! I know the caribbean is calmer, and that may have helped. I leave on the 7 day Eastern this Saturday , and I am confident that the patch, Disney stabilizers and the calm Caribbean will ensure a great cruise. Will report when I get back!:)

oceanluvn
09-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks so much for the great suggestions!
Eek40......I understand that the shot they give is Phenagren, so it is good to know it comes in a gel form......I prefer that to a shot...especially if they charge $154 for the shot!
Do you think it helps or hurts to have a veranda?

eek40
09-22-2003, 12:56 PM
oceanluven...

The gel you could get ahead of time from your doctor. And I always have a verhanda because it seems to help me out a bit to have the fresh air, and not feel so closed in. To me the extra money for the verhanda is well worth every cent. Also the Phenagren gel ahead of time is worth the cost also, it can make you a bit sleepy, but not bad, and for me it works fast and lasts.

Aimee

Dean
09-22-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm not aware of a gel for nausea or sea sickness. I'm quite certain that phenergan doesn't come in a gel. Be quite aware that Phenergan, Tigan, Compazine and the like are likely to make one quite drowsy. You may not be sick, just sleep a lot. My daughter has both migraines and gets easily motion sick. Actually my wife and i get quite motion sick as well. My daughter (19 y/o, 130 #) takes half of a 25 mg and sleeps four 8-10 hours when she would otherwise be awake. The meds above all have significant sides effects though Phenergan has the least of those. The drowsiness is usually far more so than with Dramamine. It does come in suppositories and tablets and is likely the SHOT they give on the ship if one is bad enough. The transcope patch has a lot of side effects as well, most physicians donít recommend it.

There are some other antinausea meds out there now. The one getting a lot of attention is Zofran. Itís mostly slated for the nausea of chemo but has been gettiing a lot of play with hyperemesis of pregnancy. Itís not cheap and itís likely it wonít be covered by any health plan in this situation. Expect prices of around $175 for 10 four mg tabs, $290 for the 8 mg and $800 for the 24 mg size. Itís every 8 hours for one to 2 days. Iím not sure what dose and frequency theyíre using for hyperemesis but know itís far more than for chemo. If it was me, and I was this bad, Iíd just start taking Bonine hours before I left and keep taking it until about the time I return. Iíd also do the seabands and likely get some phenergan tabs and supps for backup. Then get a low deck, inside and midship cabin.

eek40
09-22-2003, 10:49 PM
Dean,
When I hop back downstairs I will check my gel...but I am 99.9 % sure its phenergren, and its in little syringes that have no needle, I have used it for quite sometime now, I had an ankle reconstrutive surgery and the meds made me quite sick. I have also used the supository version of this. Its not that expensive, and it really helps me loads and loads. I am aware that what works for one doesnt work for everyone. But at least its an option for the OP.
Aimee

P.S. Ran down(lol...well limped) and checked....it is phenergren.

Dean
09-23-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by eek40
Dean,
When I hop back downstairs I will check my gel...but I am 99.9 % sure its phenergren, and its in little syringes that have no needle, I have used it for quite sometime now, I had an ankle reconstrutive surgery and the meds made me quite sick. I have also used the supository version of this. Its not that expensive, and it really helps me loads and loads. I am aware that what works for one doesnt work for everyone. But at least its an option for the OP.
Aimee

P.S. Ran down(lol...well limped) and checked....it is phenergren. That's a new on on me, did the pharmacy make it up (compound it)? I looked in several locations and didn't see it listed. I wonder if their just giving you something intended for another route and using that way. I do know they are working on an intranasal form but it's not available yet.

I did a search and it is a compounded item. Health plans rarely pay for compounded items either. Glad to learn something though as it may be worth it for some and likely far cheaper than the zofran I mentioned. Found this link. (http://www.poolespharmacycare.com/compounding.html) I am usually leary of compounded products as they are not tested or approved by the FDA in the form being given, still shouldn't hurt anda safe delivery method.

eek40
09-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Dean,

I will have to look again at the medicine. I am at work today, so it will be this evening. I actually know several people that use this stuff, maybe I read it wrong. I will tell you it works great. You rubb your wrists together to get them warm, then you put it on and rub, then you rub on tummy. I am nasuea free in about 10 min.
Aimee

eek40
09-23-2003, 10:47 AM
Ok, I think I made a mistake....I checked out your link Dean and what I am taking is....

Promethazine Gel: Works great on children and adults without having to swallow medicine while your nauseous or messing with a suppository. Itís applied easily to the stomach or insides of wrists. By far our most popularly prescribed compounded medicine.

I will say it works great! Just had the wrong info:( Sorry about that Dean..I stand corrected!
Aimee