PDA

View Full Version : Just back....had a great time....and upgraded too!

TChrist05
09-16-2003, 08:30 PM
Hey all....just returned from the 3 night 9/11 sailing of the Wonder....we origionally booked the category 11 for 4 people....it started off as a surprise for my wife but it did not end up that way....they upgraded us to cabin 7502....a category 8....we were happy with that....then my daughter (24) decided she was not going to cruise....so we lost her whole fare.....so when we checked it we attempted to get them to credit her fare (as suggested by DCL reservations since this was our 5th cruise and we have 2 more 7 nights booked) but they could not do it at the port...they suggest we write DCL guest communications....so when they were not going to give us her fare back we tried to get upgraded. They went back and spoke to a supervisor and they put us in cabin 7638.....a handicapped room but it was huge....and the verandah was immense....so I have not written the letter yet, maybe won't bother....but they treated us as good as they could. We were pretty happy with everthing....
Tom

dis4me
09-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Glad to hear things worked out. Sorry your daughter missed it.

strawberryblonde
09-16-2003, 10:58 PM
I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. Sorry your DD missed it, especially with the extra room you ended up with. I don't think I would write that letter. Pixie dust was going your way on this last cruise and perhaps it will continue on your next two cruises :)

AnnMorin
09-17-2003, 06:02 AM
you paid for a cat. 11, got one free upgraded to a cat.8, then another free upgrade to a cat. 5. and you are considering writing a letter? The only letter I would write would be thanking them so much for the extreem generosity that DCL has repeatedly bestowed upon your family!

dthogue
09-17-2003, 06:57 AM
Gee - if I recieved those great upgrades I would be more than "pretty happy" - what is there is to write a letter about??

Lisa F
09-17-2003, 07:17 AM
I thought he was planning to write a letter thanking DCL for the 6 category upgrade! As far as cancelling at the last minute, you're made aware of the cancellation rules at the time of booking so I'm not sure what you want DCL to do for you. I really hope that DCL does not stop "having a heart" in certain situations because people have come to expect it in ALL situations. Really the fact that you are a repeat cruiser has nothing to do with it (unless I somehow missed the part of castaway club benefits that says "normal cancellation policies no longer apply.")

Glad you had a great time and sorry your daughter couldn't make it, but that's why they make trip cancellation insurance.

Lisa

TnRobin
09-17-2003, 07:51 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen.

Enough of this ganging up and attacking the original poster.

TChrist05
09-17-2003, 08:41 PM
Lisa.....I guess there always is someone who likes to take away any pixie dust around.....but the facts are the facts....I am very aware of cancellation policies and insurance regarding the cruises....the situation that I stated is that the reservation agent at DCL suggested I speak to the supervisor at the pier, which I did. They suggested I write DCL guest communications and explain the situation. Since there were 4 people in the cabin and all were paid for by myself. If they felt that my circumstances warranted a little consideration, so be it. I would not demand anything, since I am not dealing from a position to demand anything. We were on our 5th cruise, have 2 more booked and our cruise last November 30th was cancelled due to illness, which ruined my vacation at that time. Was I disappointed, yes, very much so. Did Disney try to accomodate me and give me a 50% off cruise, yes they did. I happen to work in a management position in a supermarket, and as a manager I get to bend and change the rules for good customers. I do feel I am a good customer of DCL, and will continue to be. I did not really make my mind up regarding sending the letter....but honestly, you have made it up for me.....maybe they refund it for me....maybe they don't...but I will waste the 38 cent stamp to find out.
Thanks for expressing your point of view....and I do not feel at all attacked....I can take care of myself.
Tom

TChrist05
09-17-2003, 09:06 PM
AnnMorin.....it truly has been a long time since you have replied to one of my posts.....I do realize that everything that I share my opinion one you always seem to take the other side....I bet you were on the debate team in high school or college.....but pixie dust heading your way.....just my DISNEY personality cominig out....and yes, this is all I will have to say on the subject, except everything Disney has ever given me or upgraded me has always been very much appreciated.....but I am a loyal Disney customer as many other people have.....and I am definately not the only person who has been upgraded and taken care of.....just check out some of the trip reports and see what people were given and had sent to there cabin......and as I said, everything I get I appreciate and Disney gets thanked for it....as they do my business.....
Tom

jlawall
09-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Honestly, I'm just happy for you! Having a pleasant 9/11 memory is worth it's weight in gold. Enjoy your memories.

TChrist05
09-17-2003, 10:19 PM
We always have a great time and great memories....and that is why we keep doing it.....Thanks for kind thoughts....
Tom

4nana
09-17-2003, 10:31 PM
Ditto TChrist05...
I'm glad things worked out for you and yours. I remember how disappointed you were last fall and then this time when your daughter did not join you. Being the recipient of some *pixie dust* myself lately, I can honestly say: it is a load off my mind.
I try not to be too judgemental...
unless one has been there, it is hard to understand.

AnnMorin
09-18-2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by TChrist05
AnnMorin.....it truly has been a long time since you have replied to one of my posts.....I do realize that everything that I share my opinion one you always seem to take the other side....I bet you were on the debate team in high school or college.....but pixie dust heading your way.....just my DISNEY personality cominig out....and yes, this is all I will have to say on the subject, except everything Disney has ever given me or upgraded me has always been very much appreciated.....but I am a loyal Disney customer as many other people have.....and I am definately not the only person who has been upgraded and taken care of.....just check out some of the trip reports and see what people were given and had sent to there cabin......and as I said, everything I get I appreciate and Disney gets thanked for it....as they do my business.....
Tom
Thank you for the pixie dust Tom...
Nope never was on the debate team....................

mmouse37
09-18-2003, 06:31 AM
Glad you had a wonderful time....I know you must be disappointed your DD did not sail. We also had some problems with DCL on one of our cruises and they more than made up for it over the years we have been cruising. That's why I am going on my 9th DCL next week!!! Glad you were upgraded!!!

MJ

buzz&woody'smom
09-18-2003, 07:37 AM
But is that not what Travel Insurance is for? I travel with my Mother who is disabled and I have severe medical issues and think insurance is the way to go unless you are willing to take the chance and lose out on the "fare" you have paid for one person or the entire family.

For example if a situation comes up that I can not cruise my MIL, 2 sons (2 & 5 years old) would not go but my Parents probably would if it was not to serious and my sisters would still go too...........I guess I am missing the point. Many of us are DCL repeat customers but I really don't expect any extra than someone having the magical experience the first time.

I for one have gone head to head with Supervisors at DCL over other issues but in this case I think the upgrades were adequate compensation. Also, I am sorry to hear you could not cruise last fall but that in itself should have made travel insurance even more important. You also quote your daughter "decided not to cruise" not that she "could not cruise".

Go ahead and write your letter, that is your choice. I am sorry your Daughter could not sail with you all but then that insurance would have kicked in probably paid you back and you would not have been upgraded at all and you would have been in your inside cabin with no view.

I don't think AnnMorin likes to debate I think she calls it like she see's it. Flame me too if you want but it sounds as if you should thank DCL for being accomodating to your family. The only time I have heard about DCL refunding a paid in full fare without insurance is if someone is deployed somewhere. During that time they were very accomodating....................

TChrist05
09-18-2003, 08:16 AM
I have stated many times in my posts, and I guess some people only read certain parts, that DCL has been very good to us, as we are to them being very loyal customers, and just for the record my daughter could not cruise since she started a new job and training was mandatory that week, or else no job. It was a sudden thing, and we just had to go with the flow. Again, DCL has been good to us, and I was following the suggestions of reservations of DCL, since she stated we are return guests. See, we all have an opinion, and that is what makes America great!

Lisa F
09-18-2003, 09:03 AM
What I posted wasn't meant as a "flame" it was just an expression of surprise that someone who got a 6 category upgrade for free is looking to get a refund for a last minute cancellation as well. Like I said, "customer loyalty" doesn't equate "the rules shouldn't apply to me" in my mind. I LOVE it when DCL does the right thing to help someone out in extraordinary circumstances. It gives me the "warm fuzzies" even though I am not the recipient of DCL's kindness. I do sincerely hope that DCL doesn't stop doing these things because people WITHOUT extraordinary circumstances come to expect the same treatment.

I don't know what kind of person you are, and I am not saying you're a bad one. I am not judging you as a person, just your action in this ONE particular case. I DO think that asking DCL to break the rules after you've gotten much MORE than the value of a single 4th person fare in upgrades is the ultimate in chutzpah and I hope they respond kindly but firmly with a reiteration of the rules.

Lisa

imgoingtodisney
09-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Hopefully DCL will restore my faith in them after we get on the 11/8 cruise.
Good luck to you Tom

LAMPSKIES
09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Hey TChrist05.........looks loke that "black cloud" has finally left you!!! LOL That's an inside joke for all you readers and posters whom weren't on the cancelled Nov. 30, 2002 sailing list. Glad you had a wonderful time.......With all that "black cloud" joking you and I have done for the past 10 months, and I saw that hurricane warning knowing you were sailing I just thought "oh no I know I told him not to pass that black cloud to me". I think a letter to Guest communications is o.k. I am in management myself and I ALWAYS hear complaints. When I finally get someone whom appreciated the service they recieved and takes the time to let me know I try and do a little extra for them to thank them for the time they took to say "thank you".

TChrist05
09-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Yup.....I have lost that black cloud....had a wonderful 7 day in May and a great 3 day cruise last week.....so the black cloud is gone...Now looking forward to 72 days from now and the Magical 7 day cruise......and I must reply to Lisa for a moment.....sorry that you feel I am asking for more than I may deserve....but we have been going to Disney for the past 25 years.....sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.....we never really ask for anything....let alone upgrades....and yes, they have been very gracious in giving us upgrades without us asking....and it was explained to us by the cruise sales person on the ship that Disney looks at when you booked the cruise, how many times you have sailed...etc.....they can sell the cheaper cabins so they try to upgrade people who have been good Disney customers....which we feel we are. Anyway, if Disney sends me that letter and gives me nothing back, I certainly will understand why, and that will be the end of it. I guess it will make some people happy if they do....
Tom

LAMPSKIES
09-19-2003, 09:19 AM
TChrist05.....72 days? That means you are going to be on the Nov. 29 Eastern? Or is my math off and are you on the Nov. 30 Wonder?

gassmandy
09-19-2003, 10:11 AM
Lampskies--it's gotta be ours he's on--he said 7 day!!! TChrist--welcome!! Maybe you'll give us good luck and we'll get upgraded!! If what you say is true--we're on our 3rd cruise in 2 years, Disney passholders(just went to Animal Kingdom yesterday!!), etc.--we're great customers too!! But--happy with what we've booked--so no worries!

LAMPSKIES
09-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Gassmandy......the reason for the "black cloud" was that the last time TChrist an I booked the same cruise it was the cancelled Nov. 30, 2002. Then the Dec. 1, 2002 replacement cruise. Is T on your cruising list?

imgoingtodisney
09-19-2003, 12:23 PM
hey guys - have a great cruise - that incident from 11/30 cant possibly happen twice

gassmandy
09-19-2003, 01:09 PM
Lampskies--I don't think he's been to our thread yet--but from what he wrote here it looks like he needs to head on over to it!

CRSNDSNY
09-19-2003, 02:10 PM
TChrist05 -- next time your daughter backs out, I'd love to be your pretend daughter! ;) You just say the word and I'll hop on the next flight.

So glad this last cruise worked out for you and you were able to enjoy a verandah!

TChrist05
09-19-2003, 08:17 PM
When we realized that Jenn could not make it to the cruise, we had almost a week to get somebody else to take her place.....and believe it or not, we could not get anyone to go. School had just started, people going away with there church.....so, we had no choice but to go without her. DCL reservations tried in vain to get us to try longer to get her replaced.....and it did not happen.....but it was a great cruise.....and now we are looking forward to 71 days from now....yes, we are on the 7 day eastern so we will have to have a great meet.....no more black skies....just beautiful sunsets on the most Magical ship on earth.....
Tom

LAMPSKIES
09-20-2003, 10:17 AM
TChrist............we're talking 'bout a sailaway meet on deck 10......check out the thread.

raisin64
09-20-2003, 11:58 AM
SIL had to cancel a 3 day the day before the cruise. DCL told me
I could not replace her with someone else. Once the 60 day
mark passes no changes can be made as far as adding or changing a passenger. It will be interesting if they respond differently to you. Let us know what happens.

I consider myself a loyal customer as well since I have been
on 9 cruises in the past year and 2 more coming up this week. :Pinkbounc But it clearly states you will lose your fare if you have no trip insurance.

AnnMorin
09-20-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by raisin64

I consider myself a loyal customer as well since I have been
on 9 cruises in the past year and 2 more coming up this week. :Pinkbounc But it clearly states you will lose your fare if you have no trip insurance.

I could have three inground swimming pools in my back yard for what I have spent on Disney cruises :)
There are LOTS of us LOYAL customers out there that would never dream of getting something other that what the clearly printed rules state!

I am glad that you had insurance.. that is what it is for the "just in case's" Have a great trip , I bet back to back is so cool!

TChrist05
09-20-2003, 08:48 PM
I do not know when the policy change took place, but they will allow you to change someone on the ship by charging you a $35.00 name change fee, and DCL reservations said it is discretionary, they do sometimes wave the fee in certain circumstances........and I considered putting a swimming pool in and an extension on the house, and I probably could have paid for it with all I have spent on cruising Disney.....but it was money well spent. Shame on me for expecting Disney to listen to the situation and then make a decision based on the fact that I am a good Disney customer and sometimes situations do come up that cannot be avoided.....trip insurance....I know the drill......
Tom

FredS
09-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Tom -- don't let 'em get you down. We understand!

If you dare, let us know how Disney responds. :D

TChrist05
09-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Thanks Fred.....and all who sent there kind words.....as of now I have not had the push to write the letter....maybe on Monday evening......and I will let you know what they say....word for word....so some may be happy and some not....
Thanks....
Tom

buzz&woody'smom
09-21-2003, 04:11 PM
I am glad that your 24 year old daughter received a new "work" opportunity and I hope her training pays off and leads her to a great career but then life throws these balls at us sometimes and you just have to accept the decisions that were made with "Jen's" new job and HER DECISION NOT to cruise.

It seems to me that maybe "Jen" should pay you back for the $$$ lost bc of her backing out instead of DCL.

We are all loyal patrons that is why we keep going back to DCL but I do not think or expect DCL to bend the rules bc someone in my party decided not to cruise because of a job. I say congrat's on this job opportunity and be glad "Jen" did not get to go bc of a health reason or emergency. It was as you said a situation where you went with the flow........but it was your daughter's decision not DCL. It sounds as if it was a responsible decision for a 24 year old to chose a job over a cruise too which is rare these days!

Best of luck but I guess I am with some others I don't see how DCL should compensate you all for something you caused. I believe they already have by upgrading you. I hope when the smoke clears this new job training will erase any negative feelings about her not going on the cruise and lead to many wonderful opportunities.

I do know from paying to upgrade from a 9 to a 8 and almost upgrading to a 6 for our upcomming cruise what DCL gave you bc of something they did not cause was much more than the 4th person fare refund and on top of that very nice.........personally that would have been enough pixie dust for me :rolleyes:

AnnMorin
09-21-2003, 06:52 PM
Cancellations / Refunds
Cancellations must be made by telephone or in writing. Changes to the vacation commencement date or changes of guest names will be considered cancellations. If the cancellation request is received 60 or more days prior to the vacation commencement date, 100% of the amount of the vacation price paid will be refunded. Cancellation requests received less than 60 days prior to the vacation commencement date will be assessed cancellation fees as follows, regardless of resale of stateroom or hotel room:
*59-30 days prior to vacation commencement date, deposit amount per guest
*29-8 days prior to vacation commencement date, 50% of vacation price per guest
*7 days or less prior to vacation commencement date, no refund
No refunds will be made in the event of interruption of cancellation by the guest after vacation commencement date. All appropriate refunds will be made directly to the guest's credit card account or through the guest's travel agent if the reservation is made through a travel agent. Disney Cruise Vacations is not responsible for the receipt of refund moneys by guests from their travel agents. All travel documents including airline tickets must be returned before refund processing can begin. Certain travel agents may withhold an agency cancellation fee. For your peace of mind, we recommend the purchase of Disney Cruise Vacations Protection Plan. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to restrict any changes to a reservation. All changes are subject to availability. Please note that changes made to overall party size may result in a change to the rate.
Service Fees
Any changes or cancellations to your cruise vacation or Disney Cruise Line air arrangements may be subject to additional fees including, but not limited to, service fees for documents. Please consult your travel agent or Disney Cruise Vacations for further details.

alexandrew
09-21-2003, 07:06 PM
where are you guys shopping for your in-ground pools and home extensions....

a friend of mine just started getting quotes for an in-ground pool, none of which was under 40k....:eek:

plutospup
09-21-2003, 07:29 PM
quotes for an in-ground pool, none of which was under 40k....

...But did that include heat pump, and fencing?!!!!

For the price of our inground pool we could have been "Barb & Tony II"!

dis4me
09-21-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by alexandrew

a friend of mine just started getting quotes for an in-ground pool, none of which was under 40k....:eek:
LOL I was just thinking the same thing. I wish I could get our built in pool for that price. Ours includes a heater(a must have in the north) but Fence and extra cement is on top of that. Please share your bargains.
BTW Tom I'll gladly be your daughter if you are willing to take me on that many cruises. .;) I would've taken her place gladly on a minutes notice.
In all seriousness though whatever you decide to so is your decision and whatever you feel is right. Thank you for sharing your experience with us .

AnnMorin
09-21-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by alexandrew

WOW what kind of pool are you talking? You can get a VERY nice inground pool her in MA. for about 20,000 which includes all cement work and electrical. If you want to add a waterfall and cabana with bath you are talking an extra 5,000.
I can not imagine a swimming pool costing 40,000!! But that is here in MA.
With four DCL vacations at cat. 6 as well as seven weeks at WDW before that and then purchasing 215 DVC points that equals many inground pools... at least here in MA.

TChrist05
09-21-2003, 11:46 PM
I have to thank Ann for sharing with us DCL policy for cancellations, changes in reservations etc....I am, and was fully aware when I chose not to purchase the cruise insurance....not that I needed cruise insurance last November when Disney cancelled my cruise.....and I did get a nice 50 % off and a nice upgrade when we cruised in May...but I did not get the vacation I wanted and planned for over a year for.....I am, and I have said it many times a good Disney person and customer....as many of you out there are also.....When I called on Wednesday 9/10 to cancel her on the ship DCL suggested I speak to them at the pier....they suggested it to me.....and i did....they are not permitted to refund anything there.....but they suggested I write the letter....not really planning on writing the letter we asked to change cabins....which they did.....I realize that there are some people out there that just can't stand it when someone gets something that they either have not gotten or feel they don't deserve....may I say I work very hard to pay for our cruising and vacation club....and if they give me an upgrade or a better room in the vacation club I am very appreciative of it....I say thank you.....and I spend plenty of money in the parks and on the ships....and I do certainly enjoy myself as my wife does also.....If we get something people feel we should not get.....that is they way it is....I don't beg for anything.....and maybe in hindsight we should have taken the cruise insurance......something to think about for the upcoming cruises.....thanks for all the well wishes from so many people....and the people that feel i am trying to take advantage of DCL....sorry about that......
Tom....and I would never build a pool like that in my backyard....then I would not have an incentive to go down to BC and Stormalong Bay....where we are vacation club members...

WDWLVR
09-22-2003, 06:30 AM
I have to thank Ann for sharing with us DCL policy for cancellations, changes in reservations etc....I am, and was fully aware when I chose not to purchase the cruise insurance....not that I needed cruise insurance last November when Disney cancelled my cruise.....and I did get a nice 50 % off and a nice upgrade when we cruised in May...but I did not get the vacation I wanted and planned for over a year for.
Tom,

I have a question about you not getting the vacation you wanted and planned over a year for. Are you refering to your November cruise from last year or your May cruise this year? The reason I'm asking is that I was on that May cruise with you and to us it was as close to a perfect cruise as we could hope for. Beautiful weather, smooth seas, everything we could hope for. Just wondering what you found lacking in it.

Lisa F
09-22-2003, 06:35 AM
I realize that there are some people out there that just can't stand it when someone gets something that they either have not gotten or feel they don't deserve....
I don't beg for anything

Tom,

I hope you can realize the difference between what you are describing and the fact that it takes incredible gall to ASK (no one said "beg") for MORE when you have already been more than compensated for something that frankly, DCL had NO responsibility whatsoever in compensating you for.

For a typical wonder fall cruise, the fare for 4 people without transfers or insurance is $1623 in a cat 11, a difference of $350 from the $1272 fare for only 3 people. For 3 people to cruise in a category 8, the cost would be $1892. When you got your first upgrade you already got your money's worth for 3 people to cruise. To book a category 5 outright would cost $2192. When you asked for your upgrade because of your situation, you basically got $900 worth of value for a $350 "mistake" that is your own responsibility.

As I said, to ask for a refund under that circumstance is the ultimate in chutzpah as far as I am concerned. It is NOT that you are getting something that I do not have. It is that you are asking for WAY more than your "fair share" using what I consider to be very weak arguments of customer loyalty. You may decide to give someone a free bottle of soda as a manager of a supermarket to promote customer loyalty but I happen to think that a $350 refund when you have ALREADY been compensated with $900 worth of value for a NON-EMERGENCY cancellation that was the choice of an adult is going WAY overboard.

Being on the cancelled cruise does not entitle you to compensation about it for the rest of your life, Disney did just fine by you by giving you a full refund AND 50% off a future cruise. I don't begrudge you that even though *I* won't get 50% off a future cruise. DCL is doing what they can to make things right and I applaud them for it even though it won't directly benefit me. They are not doing this because you are a loyal customer, they are doing this because it is the right thing to do.

I'm sorry if you cannot tell the difference between the supposed "jealousy" that you see in my posts and the posts of others and what is actually there... annoyance at asking for more than you frankly deserve in this situation and a negative reaction to the greed of writing a letter asking for more when you have been given $900 worth of value already. Note that I am not saying that you are an awful, greedy person but I do find this ACTION that you are proposing to be greedy and downright distasteful. Just because you CAN do something, doesn't always mean that you should.

Lisa

FredS
09-22-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Lisa F
Tom,

....the fact that it takes incredible gall to ASK (no one said "beg") for MORE when you have already been more than compensated for something that frankly, DCL had NO responsibility whatsoever in compensating you for.
.............As I said, to ask for a refund under that circumstance is the ultimate in chutzpah as far as I am concerned. It is NOT that you are getting something that I do not have. It is that you are asking for WAY more than your "fair share" using what I consider to be very weak arguments of customer loyalty...........

Being on the cancelled cruise does not entitle you to compensation about it for the rest of your life............I'm sorry if you cannot tell the difference between the supposed "jealousy" that you see in my posts and the posts of others and what is actually there... annoyance at asking for more than you frankly deserve in this situation and a negative reaction to the greed of writing a letter asking for more when you have been given $900 worth of value already. Note that I am not saying that you are an awful, greedy person but I do find this ACTION that you are proposing to be greedy and downright distasteful........
Lisa

:( Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 08:41 AM
Per Tom:

"I realize that there are some people out there that just can't stand it when someone gets something that they either have not gotten or feel they don't deserve....may I say I work very hard to pay for our cruising and vacation club....and if they give me an upgrade or a better room in the vacation club I am very appreciative of it....I say thank you.....and I spend plenty of money in the parks and on the ships....and I do certainly enjoy myself as my wife does also.....If we get something people feel we should not get.....that is they way it is....I don't beg for anything.....and maybe in hindsight we should have taken the cruise insurance......something to think about for the upcoming cruises.....thanks for all the well wishes from so many people....and the people that feel i am trying to take advantage of DCL....sorry about that......

Hi Tom-

I get it now, DVC Members and those who were unlucky enough to be on the cancelled 11/30 cruise can ignore the rules and get everything they can out of Disney Cruise Lines BECAUSE they are DVC Members and they had a cancelled cruise.

Also you work harder for your money to spend in the parks, pay for your cruises and DVC membership so the rest of us should just pipe down because we dont!

It has nothing to do with your Family being at blame for losing $$$ on your 9/11 3 day cruise by your daughter cancelling for a JOB. It has nothing to do with Lisa or Ann and I being jealous that you received an upgrade.

It has to do with whining about something you caused and then blaming DCL. Of course they told you to write a letter, I bet every CM that encounters someone upset about the 11/30 cruise is instructed to do so.

And Fred, yes the CM told him to write the letter for reasons I believe I mentioned above but come on he is saying since his 11/30 cruise was cancelled and he is a DVC Member he deserves "Loyalty" treatment.

1. His daughter cancelled bc of a job not an emergency.
2. DCL gave him a great upgrade.
3. Maybe they told Tom to write a letter but it in my opinion was a way to move on with his situation and pass the buck. I am sure they have been trained not to "upset" DVC Members or those still upset about the cancelled 11/30 cruise and there are Disney Personel trained to handle these type of complaints hence the letter.
4. On one hand he is saying he received an upgrade and they told him to write a letter but then he keeps stating he spends a lot of hard earned money at the parks, DVC Membership and is loyal.

Conclusion:

It his Tom's family fault they lost money for his daughter cancelling at the last minute. It was not an emergency but a choice.

DCL more than compensated Tom on his 3 day cruise from upgrading him from a Category 11 to a 6 which is a lot more than a 4th person fare in a cat 11.

I am sure they told him to write the letter to move him along when he was not satisfied with the upgrades which were more than his daughters fare and he was speaking of the DVC Membership and 11/30 cruise.

Write your letter but I agree with Lisa and Ann, rules are rules. Being a DVC Member and having been booked on the cancelled 11/30 cruise are not free passes to get upgrades and rules changed for your cruising career...................and no I am not jealous of something you got. I pay for what I am happy with and then take my medicine like a big girl when it does not go my way.

Lisa F
09-22-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by FredS
Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

I'm sorry that you think my response to the "everyone who sees a problem with this is just jealous of me" attitude as "ugliness." The reason DCL told him to do it is because he asked in a couple of places for a refund when he, by his own admission, knew that he was not entitled to one. Just because someone tells you that you can do something, it doesn't necessarily make it "right." The emotion that you are calling anger isn't anger, but rather disgust that after getting $900 worth of value for something that wasn't DCL's fault, someone is asking for even more.

Honestly, I'm glad he had a great time. I just can't understand the attitude of "I'm a loyal customer so the rules don't apply to me." I think it's absolutely wonderful when DCL sprinkles a little more pixie dust on people by taking into account exceptional circumstances and bending their rules. To ask when there IS NO exceptional circumstance is IMO taking advantage and THAT is what I object to.

If believing in fairness and not taking advantage just because you can or just because someone told you it was okay and actually applying my own common sense is "ugliness" to you, well... just call me quasimodo.

AnnMorin
09-22-2003, 05:51 PM
:( Is this spewing of ugliness really necessary? He is considering doing what was suggested to him by DCL. Period. Whether or not he chooses to do so is up to him, but I see no reason to flame him when what seems to make you so mad is something DCL told him, NOT his idea.

I really was going to not respond to this again.. BUT... Mr. Christ has a pattern of requesting/expecting and recieving much more than he has paid for from DCL. If one does not want people to judge them then they should not post on a public forum their intent to ask for more than they deserve. Some of us sacrifice all year long to PAY for what he seems to expect without paying for. If you were to do a search you would see that he has over and over again thought he should be compensated for one thing or the other.

I do not begrudge anyone who gets an upgrade, I am thrilled when people are surprised with an unexpected gift! My husband and myself have on occasion been a benifactor in one way or another to people who really deserved a dose of pixie dust. ( no we are not wealthy people just sometimes you can be moved by a story of someone who is TRUELY deserving) Whether it be from sending them Disney Dollars, donations etc... those people were worthy and never asked anything of anyone.

Lisa was not spewing ugliness but stating that she thinks he has a great deal of nerve!

LAMPSKIES
09-22-2003, 06:17 PM
I must chime in here......Ann and T have a good "discussion" going on here. I was on of the cancelled Nov. 30, 2002 cruisers and believe me, for those of you whom weren't cancelled you will never understand. Yes, I had a very bad taste in my mouth with DCL after the whole cluster. I have put it past me and am giving DCL another shot. The 50% off, and an upgrade made me feel warmer and fuzzier of course. But, in Mr. Christs defence........in the "bad days" of our substituted trip I found that DCLs "castmembers are ill trained to say "no". That doesn't make them bad but it does give one a sense of false hope. Just my two cents.

imgoingtodisney
09-22-2003, 06:33 PM
DCL has certainly had a bad taste in my mouth since last Nov's disaster. Still waiting to get onboard the ship. As I countdown this time I still have the nagging doubt in my mind that DCL will once again cancel.
Hopefully they can prove that becoming a DVC member 12/01 was worth it. Hoping to get "home" for the 1st time 10/04 if all goes well with the 11/8 cruise. Definately taking the "long way home" but determined to first have my chicken breast in paradise.

3Dbunch
09-22-2003, 06:38 PM
I have found it interesting to hear different sides on your upgrade issue and as for last minute changes, and cancels i have to agree that you had options available to you to help in making sure if that happened you would not have to pay.

I also see why you felt that you would at least ask for a refund on it, and i am sure the ones who told you to write a letter could not give you the refund but told you that just to make you happy and give you another avenue to take in requesting.

Sure ~ if you have done as much cruising as you have and have a couple other reservations for future cruises in the works you feel you should maybe get some special treatment and have them make an exception to you. Remember if they do it for you they would need to do it for others to be fair and that is why even with your letter i would be surprised if you got the refund. Sure does not hurt to write and ask.

We just got back from a 7 day cruise and was offered an upgrade for an additional cost, not free, and was able to stay in the 1 br suite you enjoyed. Wasn't that really nice? We sure thought it was. Special treatment, priority seating in Palo's, someone to book your appointments for you at concierge, daily goodies delivered to your stateroom, room service and even room service on the last day without having to get up extra early to go to breakfast if you were on the first seating. This was not offered to others in any other rooms other than the suites.

Bet no one knew about that extra purk!

Let me tell you, we loved it and would pay the extra for an upgrade again because it was well worth it to us.
Cheaper then paying and reserving it in advanced and if you sail on an off time your chances are much better then when the ship is booked closer to full capacity.

Isn't cruising grand?
Have a great couple of 7 day cruises!
Only way to go!
3Dbunch
:cool: :smooth: :jester: :jester: :jester:

WDWLVR
09-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Something for everyone to remember - especially those of you who were supposed to be on the cancelled cruise. Disney didn't cause the Norwalk virus - nor was it Disney's fault that so many people were getting sick. They did what was in the best interest of future cruisers, their crew and the company as a whole. I'm sure they would have been much happier to keep cruising as that week and the compensation you all got cost them plenty.

Also please keep in mind that Disney gave much better compensation than other cruise lines at the same time.

I'm really sorry your cruise was cancelled. Yes it is very disappointing, but it was a year ago and most of you have either cruised since then (with some nice perks) or will be cruising soon. You got your full refunds, you got 50% off your next cruise and in some cases got even more. So please get over it and let it go.

Having a cruise cancelled with a full refund is an inconvenience, not a tragedy. Having a cruise or any trip cancelled because of illness or death is a tragedy. Please put this in perspective and be happy that you all have your health, your family, and the means to cruise with Disney in the first place. Many, many others cannot say that.

imgoingtodisney
09-22-2003, 06:58 PM
I know it was not DCLs fault that they had to cancel at such a late notice
Everyone is aware that DCL gave us 50% off a future cruise
Not everyone knows that DVC members needed to find a place onsite to stay within 22hrs! It cost us more in pts to stay at a moderate than to stay 1wk at a deluxe would have cost.
I figure by the time this cruise is over we may have broken even.
Our plans were to use our pts for the 1st time on the cruise last yr and go "home" for the 1st time this Oct. Now we need to push off our 1st visit "home" to next yr. Yes it is taking us 3yrs to get "home" for the 1st time. The inconvenience of DCL cancelling not only affected last yr but the current yr and next yr too. It had a snowball effect. For 1st time DVC owners this was not a good thing.
Hopefully this Nov cruise will start me believing that buying into DVC was a good thing. I need to believe in Disney again. Its time to see the "Magic"

AnnMorin
09-22-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by imgoingtodisney
DCL has certainly had a bad taste in my mouth since last Nov's disaster. Still waiting to get onboard the ship. As I countdown this time I still have the nagging doubt in my mind that DCL will once again cancel.
Hopefully they can prove that becoming a DVC member 12/01 was worth it. Hoping to get "home" for the 1st time 10/04 if all goes well with the 11/8 cruise. Definately taking the "long way home" but determined to first have my chicken breast in paradise.

Barb we have (as MANY MANY people on this board have) been members of DVC for longer than you. DVC has no pull or power with DCL and people who are members of DVC should certainly not expect to be treated as a better class than anyone else that is just silly IMHO..
As for the nagging doubt about getting on the ship, there is no raging norwalk around and they did what they had to do to keep you and others from being ill. You, if I recall have been already WAY upgraded from your original cabin so please do let it go........
DCL lost a great deal of revenue that week but did so for the good of the passagers, you were compensated, much better than other lines would have done..this is exactly the type of thing that bugs me...........

AnnMorin
09-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Not everyone knows that DVC members needed to find a place onsite to stay within 22hrs! It cost us more in pts to stay at a moderate than to stay 1wk at a deluxe would have cost.
Our plans were to use our pts for the 1st time on the cruise last yr and go "home" for the 1st time this Oct. Now we need to push off our 1st visit "home" to next yr. Yes it is taking us 3yrs to get "home" for the 1st time. The inconvenience of DCL cancelling not only affected last yr but the current yr and next yr too. It had a snowball effect. For 1st time DVC owners this was not a good thing.
Hopefully this Nov cruise will start me believing that buying into DVC was a good thing. I need to believe in Disney again. Its time to see the "Magic"
Here we go again...................:(

imgoingtodisney
09-22-2003, 07:08 PM
Sorry Ann but we "paid" for our upgrade with our points. It was not given to us.
This time last yr the Norwalk wasnt yet around. It started getting bad in Nov. Im sure the wks before our cruise this yr I will be checking to make sure there is no talk of Norwalk. As of now its too early.
And no I dont expect to be treated better than others who arent DVC members. Alot of them were getting extra treatment while at Disney that DVC members didnt.
I didnt start this thread but do feel like others are finally speaking up.

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 07:19 PM
Oh my gosh I am having flashbacks to the rage of IMGTD and the cancelled cruise.......................I think I am going to faint:o

I know you all were very damaged by having your cruises "postponed" due to the Norwalk virus but this is not about the cancelled cruise. You were compensated and DCL did the responsible thing and as Ann pointed out lost a lot of revenue that week.

This thread was about Tom posting that he had gotten a great upgrade bc his Daughter " decided" not to go on a 3 day cruise due to a new job and he still "thought" he deserved more since he was a DVC Member, Loyal Disney Patron and since a CM "urged" him to write a letter AKA a "CM passed the buck".

Lets keep this in perspective. I don't want to have IMGTD having a sleepless night about having her cruise cancelled.:confused: and I really can not take this "THE HORROR MY 11/30 CRUISE WAS CANCELLED"..........when there are so many more important and urgent problems with this world...........................

GladysK
09-22-2003, 07:21 PM

:confused:

The OP got a full refund and has already taken his 50% off cruise. That's over with. This thread is about someone not taking cruise insurance, but expecting the benefits of cruise insurance. That's what this threat is about......it's not about the Norwalk Virus or your 3 year journey to "get home".:rolleyes:

WDWLVR
09-22-2003, 07:22 PM

DVC is a timeshare - plain and simple. To get the best use of your points you should book a DVC resort. As a DVC member you are entitled to use your points for other options - like the cruise.

It was your choice to find a place on site. Others in the same situation booked a cruise on the Wonder while others just re-booked. Your choice - so don't blame DVC.

Maybe you bought into DVC for all the wrong reasons.

As Ann says many of us have owned longer and don't expect any special treatment. The choices you made from buying DVC, to booking the cruise, to using your points at a moderate. Your choice - no one forced you to do any of it. DVC doesn't owe you anything, DCL doesn't owe you anything (but have given you much). End of story.

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 07:23 PM
You have been speaking up for almost a year and if you were so worried about the Norwalk it probably was not a great idea to book again for November prime virus season.

This thread is not about you or even a cancelled cruise. We have heard how upset you were for a long time now..........................this thread was about Tom's daughter backing out, DCL upgrading Tom bc he requested compensation, DCL doing so even though they did not have to and Tom justifying his upgrade and "possible" letter for further compensation because he is a DVC Member and was on the cancelled cruise..........his daughter caused this not DCL.

FredS
09-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by AnnMorin
Barb we have (as MANY MANY people on this board have) been members of DVC for longer than you. DVC has no pull or power with DCL and people who are members of DVC should certainly not expect to be treated as a better class than anyone else that is just silly IMHO.....

Missed your point -- since you have been a member of DVC longer YOU should get something first perhaps?? And I guess I missed where Barb stated what you have just said. I took her comment that after having invested a significant sum in Disney that she "needed" to feel some reassurance, not be cancelled and inconvenienced without any efforts by Disney to compensate her. Calling someone silly for something that they haven't said??
Originally posted by AnnMorin

.....you were compensated, much better than other lines would have done..this is exactly the type of thing that bugs me...........

Get over it. A couple of you come across as obsessed with ensuring that no one gets more than you. I kept thinking surely not, but it does seem that jealousy IS the problem here. People got an upgrade, they got a discount on a future cruise -- go them. To keep on and keep on and on with "arggh" and yes, spewing ugliness (I'm not going to cut and paste again, I think the hateful adjectives speak for themselves) seems to be a case of very sour grapes.

Yes, I'd love an upgrade or discount. Don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. However, I don't begrudge someone else who does get one, whether it is totally unexpected or perhaps intended as a good will gesture by Disney to compensate a customer.

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi Fred-

No I feel no jealousy over an upgrade. I cruise with the theory pay for what you will be happy with. I have never been upgraded on any cruiseline and I would never expect to be. I will let the others speak for themselves but my problem is the attitude of something for nothing. It is a common problem in our world today. I think it takes a lot of "something" to ask for more after what TC received.

Maybe we just think differently Fred but it really is the opposite of what you have said. I for one pay for what category I want and would never think to ask DCL for some type of compensation when it was my fault to begin with. I do not believe in something for nothing. I am so happy when I see pixie dust spread around to special angels and the random cruiser. For me personally I would not want an upgrade since I like to pick my cabin.

Fred, read the threads again. No one said this was about the upgrade, it is about the nerve of the OP to request further compensation when he caused his own problem and DCL already compensated him for more than his DD fare.

Also you may not have been around for the fallout after the cancelled 11/30 cruise but it went on and on and on and on and on and on.......................

alexandrew
09-22-2003, 07:55 PM
please see icon above

Lisa F
09-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Get over it. A couple of you come across as obsessed with ensuring that no one gets more than you. I kept thinking surely not, but it does seem that jealousy IS the problem here. People got an upgrade, they got a discount on a future cruise -- go them. To keep on and keep on and on with "arggh" and yes, spewing ugliness (I'm not going to cut and paste again, I think the hateful adjectives speak for themselves) seems to be a case of very sour grapes.

This is NOT a "someone got more than me" issue. This is a "wow, you have a lot of nerve asking for that and it disgusts me" issue. See the difference? Many people have been posting that they have gotten upgrades and NO ONE has said ANYTHING to them that can be interpreted as negative. If we were all as "jealous" as you seem to think we are then why don't we show our jealousy on other threads? Could it be because the people who are getting the upgrades are (with this notable exception) grateful and do not feel that they are ENTITLED to it because they feel that they are better customers than the rest of us? Could it be because no one else posted saying that on top of a 6 category upgrade they want a refund when they cancelled outside of the refund deadline? Could it be because of the unmitigated GALL of such a request? Nah, it must be "sour grapes." That makes MUCH more sense. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure where all of this nonsense about the cancelled cruise came from, but one has nothing to do with the other. People were inconvenienced and they were COMPENSATED by a full refund and 50% off a future cruise. DCL is not required to kiss your collective behinds for the rest of your lives because of it. Once again, no I'm not jealous, no I don't begrudge those displaced cruisers what they got from Disney. I think it was a really fair solution to a really tough problem and Disney has met its obligation to you all. What does that have to do with this particular situation?

AnnMorin
09-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Missed your point -- since you have been a member of DVC longer YOU should get something first perhaps?? And I guess I missed where Barb stated what you have just said. I took her comment that after having invested a significant sum in Disney that she "needed" to feel some reassurance, not be cancelled and inconvenienced without any efforts by Disney to compensate her. Calling someone silly for something that they haven't said??

Yes, I'd love an upgrade or discount. Don't think I'll be getting one anytime soon. However, I don't begrudge someone else who does get one, whether it is totally unexpected or perhaps intended as a good will gesture by Disney to compensate a customer.

Well Fred I don't know how in the world you could possibly think I am a person who begrudges others when I personally have tried to help others. And NO I am not jelous or envious of anyone that is granted an upgrade, often I am THRILLED for the person. The arggh goes back to hearing a years worth of complaining...anyhow I know what type of person I am, I try very hard to not be hateful!

Eeyore2U
09-22-2003, 08:45 PM

Are you in the SAME DVC as the rest of us. The cruise and DVC are SEPERATE entities.

TChrist05
09-22-2003, 08:48 PM
I promise, I have learned my lesson. I guess this thread could make it's way to the debate board, but it is not there just yet. I am actually sorry that I bothered to post this thread for a couple of reasons....First, I think that it has brought out some ugliness in some people, and that is really not the Disney way. I realize that all of us are very good Disney customers, and by posting on the board sometimes the opinions are very different. I am sorry the Lisa F, AnnMorin(who unfortunately a lot of us has history with in regards to many previous posts for the past year) and Buzz & Woodysmom feel that I have a lot of gall for what they perceive to be asking for things I am not entitled to. Everyone has an opinion.....mine is no more important or valuable than anyone else...but presentation sometimes requires some tact sometimes. And I am going to show that tact....I hope....with the following.....while on the ship I had the oportunity to rework my two booked cruises....Disney is now offering 10 % off and a $200.00 onboard credit for booking your next cruise on the ship. I sat down with the sales rep. from DCL and discussed my 2 upcoming cruises....so she pulled up my reservations and reworked the two cruises....I saved $145.00 on each cruise and also got a $200.00 onboard credit for the November cruise. I asked, and she accomodated me. If I don't ask, I feel I am foolish spending more money than I have to. We usually spend the money we save either on the ship or in Disney World, so they eventually get it back. And another good thing that came out of reworking the ressies is I got a GTY cabin, which means I am guaranteed a category 11. The cruise sales rep. told me that when this is given out you get at least a 2 category upgrade. But I promise you this, whatever I get, if anything I will not post it anywhere near here. Like it was said, when you post on a public forum you get what you deserve.....And as a DVC member, and it has only been since May I don't expect anything special except a clean room and Disney courtesy, which I always get. I guess it is now time for the moderator to close the thread, and I thank all those with good wishes and those who felt they wanted to defend me...I thank you.....and LisaF,AnnMorin and Buzz and Woodysmom I also thank you.....I was actually entertained reading the last five or six posts from you.....you brighten my day....and if the thread is closed....you will have to look around for another place to spread some of your unhappy venom...and I hope that you never lose a vacation to a decision by DCL or by a tragedy or sickness in your family....but I would imagine you three probably take the vacation protection....I am sure in life you do everything right....probably don't have to use pencils with erasers since you three never make a mistake. Do I sound bitter, no, I am not. I am finishing this post with a smile on my face, so if it is not closed by the moderator it will give the 3 more time to spread there "happiness"...the Magic of Disney lives.....

Eeyore2U
09-22-2003, 08:50 PM

First off, you aren't "going home" since you chose use your points somewhere other then your home resort. If you don't break even it's YOUR choice and your fault.

Again, please tell me the corellation between DVC and DCL. Will it be Disney's fault if there is bad weather? **** happens. Sometimes there is a responsible party and sometimes it's no ones fault. MOVE ON!

Eeyore2U
09-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Sorry Ann but we "paid" for our upgrade with our points. It was not given to us.
This time last yr the Norwalk wasnt yet around. It started getting bad in Nov. Im sure the wks before our cruise this yr I will be checking to make sure there is no talk of Norwalk. As of now its too early.
And no I dont expect to be treated better than others who arent DVC members. Alot of them were getting extra treatment while at Disney that DVC members didnt.

Why are you blaming everyone but you for making the choices you made? You chose to spend points at POR. Couldn't you have gone back to Central Mass and not "wasted" those points.

LAMPSKIES
09-22-2003, 08:54 PM
These boards are about learning right????? Thanks to this thread I just called DCl and added insurance to my cruise. Thanks LOL Let's all take a deep breath and read read read.

AnnMorin
09-22-2003, 08:54 PM
. I realize that all of us are very good Disney customers, and by posting on the board sometimes the opinions are very different. I am sorry the Lisa F, AnnMorin(who unfortunately a lot of us has history with in the past year)

Well I think you finally did it TChrist............... For the people who found me unfortunate to deal with in the past year... Funny they happily accepted my disney dollars I sent etc....... I will not be on these boards anymore! All I have ever tried to do was speak the truth!

Eeyore2U
09-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by buzz&woody'smom
Also you may not have been around for the fallout after the cancelled 11/30 cruise but it went on and on and on and on and on and on.......................

and on and on and on....

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 09:04 PM
"and I hope that you never lose a vacation to a decision by DCL or by a tragedy or sickness in your family....but I would imagine you three probably take the vacation protection....I am sure in life you do everything right....probably don't have to use pencils with erasers since you three never make a mistake. Do I sound bitter, no, I am not".

Oh by the way Tom. I did not spread meaness I only called it like you wrote it. You did not have a vacation cancelled bc of a tragedy or illness you posted your Daughter chose NOT to go because of a new job not a tragedy or and emergency!

Have we responded to anyone else like this........no just you and by the way I have a lot cancelled in the last 27 months. I had a aneurysm while 36 weeks pregnant, coded and they brought me back so maybe that is why I am so hard on you. Life and death Tom that is what matters not whining about your daughter fare because she chose not to go. I would suggest getting her to pay you back instead of hitting DCL up for more compensation.

I don't always sharpen my pencils and don't dot my i's and cross my t's but I know the value of life and what is a choice and what is not. You lost your daughter's fare because of her decision not DCL's.

Glad you enjoyed our thread but too bad you still don't get it.

TChrist05
09-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Buzz and Woodysmom.....never did whine.....glad you got through your personal problems with the health issue....be as hard on me as you like....but if I had those medical issues I would not waste my precious time responding on and on about my origional post....and follow ups....but the bottom line is I never "whined".........
Best of health to you......

Lisa F
09-22-2003, 09:30 PM
I am sure in life you do everything right....probably don't have to use pencils with erasers since you three never make a mistake.

I don't do everything right, but I also don't go around and expect the world to compensate me for my screwups. If you don't understand the difference between trying to get a better price on a cruise or getting a complimentary upgrade (both within the rules) vs. feeling like DCL should break the rules for you because you are such a wonderful customer... not because of some tragedy or emergency but merely because you think that you somehow "deserve" to not have to follow the rules that everyone else has to follow, then I guess I have nothing left to say.

buzz&woody'smom
09-22-2003, 09:34 PM
I use my precious time how I chose and I do consider what you have written whining or at least that is what I would tell my 2 and 5 year old sons.........best of luck and hope you get everything you write away for.

I use my time to read, research my trips and to plan like all of you and most importantly to take a break from the "personal health issues" I have. I kept responding because the issue was still alive

As for Ann, she is a very good and honest person who has stepped up to the plate a number of times to help others. She calls it like she sees it and I have to give her credit for that and much more.;)

TChrist05
09-22-2003, 09:54 PM
No problem Lisa....hard to believe that you have nothing left to say.....and Buzz and Woodysmom.....take care of your two great kids....and ofcourse, stay healthy.

WDWLVR
09-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Tom,

Did you ever see my question about why you felt your May cruise didn't live up to what you had planned for last year. I can understand how you might have missed it with all the posts, but I'm still curious.

strawberryblonde
09-22-2003, 11:50 PM
This is abit OT, but then the thread has drifted......

I think perhaps it would help to just have disapointment validated. Instead of saying "lucky you, half off your next cruise and a full refund, stop your complaining about your cancelled cruise" , validate that a week a vacation would have been wasted and airfare was not refunded ect. I agree that Disney's hands were full with that virus and news last Nov. and were trying to balance everything. I still feel sorry for the cancelled cruisers. I read the trip reports of many who quickly put the pieces together last Nov. and it seemed to me their vacations were not quite up to expectations.

I'm glad it wasn't me. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Michelemouse
09-23-2003, 10:52 PM
I am also one of the displaced 11/30/02 cruisers. I have no bad feelings toward DCL, DVC (we're members too) or the DIsney Co. They made a decision that they felt was best for everyone. They fairly compensated us. We have, IMO, absolutely no reason to whine, complain or dwell on the fact that plans changed. In fact, DVC bent over backwards helping us to get a WDW resort reservation at the last minute. I will forever be grateful to them for that. Sure...it was a tremendous amount of points compared to what I would have spent at a DVC resort, but it was my choice to spend them that way. Sure...it wasn't what we had been planning for, but by making the best of it it was a fantastic trip. Sure...my kids were sad, but they got over it. Sure...I could have gotten upset, but I didn't. Where would that have gotten me? Absolutely nowhere.

We had the time of our lives at WDW last year and will have the time of our lives in three weeks on the Magic. Life often does not go as planned but you just have to roll with the punches. Dwelling on the negative only breeds more negativity. A cancelled cruise is not a life-altering tragedy. Sometimes you just have to take lemons and make lemonade.

WDWLVR
09-24-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Michelemouse
I am also one of the displaced 11/30/02 cruisers. I have no bad feelings toward DCL, DVC (we're members too) or the DIsney Co. They made a decision that they felt was best for everyone. They fairly compensated us. We have, IMO, absolutely no reason to whine, complain or dwell on the fact that plans changed. In fact, DVC bent over backwards helping us to get a WDW resort reservation at the last minute. I will forever be grateful to them for that. Sure...it was a tremendous amount of points compared to what I would have spent at a DVC resort, but it was my choice to spend them that way. Sure...it wasn't what we had been planning for, but by making the best of it it was a fantastic trip. Sure...my kids were sad, but they got over it. Sure...I could have gotten upset, but I didn't. Where would that have gotten me? Absolutely nowhere.

We had the time of our lives at WDW last year and will have the time of our lives in three weeks on the Magic. Life often does not go as planned but you just have to roll with the punches. Dwelling on the negative only breeds more negativity. A cancelled cruise is not a life-altering tragedy. Sometimes you just have to take lemons and make lemonade.

Thank you Michele! I think the way you approached all that happened in a very positive way. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time on your cruise!

CarolAnnC
09-24-2003, 06:37 AM
Enough!!! :(