PDA

View Full Version : Trip insurance when paying with points

chieften
09-15-2003, 08:02 PM
I'd like to know how people have handled trip insurance when paying with points rather than cash. Is it a DVC proposition only since many insurance companies base the premiums on cash value? We are cruising 11/1 and any help would be appreciated. Thanks

floridaminnie
09-15-2003, 09:03 PM
We always went with the insurance company whose pamplet was included with our DVC ressie. We've bought throught them for our cruise (part DVC points part cash) and for a week we spent on Vero Beach on points. We insured our points and cash along with the health insurance type of stuff. (Don't know the official name.)

cherylp3
09-15-2003, 10:10 PM
I've seen other posts in the DVC board where those have said its about $5 per point.

Cheryl

dianthus
09-16-2003, 10:38 AM
Hi! The name of the company is Travel Guard International. They have a special program for DVC members to insure the value of the points used for a trip. It's their "P1" plan.

Here's the info off the sheet I received:

"The reimbursement amount is calculated by multiplying the # of points used for the reservation by $5.00. The premium is determined by multiplying the reimbursement amount by 5%.
Example - 150 DVC points X $5= $750
$750 X 5% = $ 37.50- min premium is $29

Air & Medical are separate. Call Travelguard at 1-866-690-6858 for an exact quote. Must be purchased prior to the start of DVC's penalty period.

The $ value of the cruise in points will look low in comparison with cash prices. I think this is what DVC actually pays DCL for the cruise. Then they rent out your DVC points to outside guests to recoup the monies.

Hope this helps!