PDA

View Full Version : Get off the DIS and turn on the TV-Dr. Phil Weight loss show on NOW!

anniet
09-12-2003, 07:01 PM
For all of you who wanted a reminder. Turn on NBC!:D

nativetxn
09-12-2003, 08:54 PM
I love the way Dr. Phil speaks, he's just so <i>Texan</i> ;)

It was an interesting program but I didn't really learn anything new. Did you?

anniet
09-12-2003, 09:06 PM
I took notes and I have to admit that while I may have "heard" a lot of this before, I can't say I put it into action.

Some of the seven keys that I'll be working on

1)Right thinking. I know I have a lot of negative self talk in my head that says "you can't do this, just go get a bag of chips"

3) a no fail environment. I never leave the grocery store without a snack even if that snack is considered "not bad" I really should be able to live without no pudge brownies, or skinny cow ice cream bars.

4)Mastery over food and Impulse moments. Ironically, I usually HAVE to have something when I come home and watch the Dr. Phil show :eek: I think I'll make a cup of tea and watch him instead.

And he mentioned contingency management which I found interesting. I usually "reward" myself for good behaviour, but I don't have any "consequences" set up if I skip a workout or go over on points. I need to work on this.

I thought it was a good show, but Jamie lee Curtis bored me.

jimmytammy
09-12-2003, 10:43 PM
I missed it tonight. Is it going to be on every Friday night?
Tammy

anniet
09-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Awwwww---- No Tammy it was a 2 hour special, and parts of it were live.

I'll e-mail you my notes.:)

wovenwonder
09-13-2003, 08:42 AM
I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing Kath. I guess in the back of my mind I was hoping that he found a secret that I've never found in my 20 yrs or so of dieting. But the whole way thru the program I was thinking 'no crap'.:rolleyes: The overweight people that he was talking to were acting like this was all a new realization to them and I was thinking a big DUH! He made it sound so easy. We just need to schedule excersizing like we schedule doing our hair. We wouldn't even think of leaving the house for work without our hair done so get into the mindset where you wouldn't even think of going to bed before excersizing. OMG --- I wish I would have thought of that before.;)

MelanieC
09-13-2003, 11:20 AM
I think though, for the average person they DON'T get it! That's why so many people have a hard time loosing weight. The TV special doesn't delve into the reason's that we overeat. I know from reading some of the book that I have new insight and Get most of what he is saying, and already have learned it. I think what he is getting at is learning to stop talking negatively to yourself, stop habits that hinder your weight loss or don't support it. It doesn't mean that we can't loose weight while still doing some of these, and changing others. I obviously have learned a lot and changed enough that I am able to support my weight loss. I have made my environment in a way that will support this. I realized though, after reading his book that I have a lot of improvement that I can do, and maybe I can change some of the things I have been unable or unwilling to change. Some people will get nothing from his book. Some will be unwilling to make the changes and get nothing. Some will be able to make some changes and others will just get it and transform into a new person.

We all have seperate baggage from our weight. Some loose it right from the beginning, some loose it in baby steps throughout, some loose it temporarily and are able to loose it long enough to loose weight, but when they get to goal or close to goal they can't hold on to it and start bringing the baggage back into their lives.

For me, eating is emotional. I enjoy it, I love the taste of it, I eat out of stress, happiness, sadness, fear and lonliness. I eat because I can. I obsess about food, and I enjoy it so much that I constantly think about what my next meal will be. I have definately got through some of this and been able to loose weight. I think that I have much work to go, and I have to heal myself from the inside so that I can keep myself from eating out of emotion.

I also have always had poor self esteem. I have from an early age. I was alwasy called short, shrimp. I got large breasts from an early age and I started gaining weight at 15. Until I learn how to take those negative thoughts and turn them into positivve true statements, I will never fully be able to love myself enough to keep the weight off forevever.

Your thougths have payoffs. When you say something about yourself (good or bad) - what is your payoff?

I think that people will be able to learn from this book, and others will not. Yes he is telling you stuff you probably already know or heard........but he lays it out with interactive tests and activities and tells you how to stop the behavior. It's up to you though, if you do it exactly like he says and learn from it, or read it and say ok I have heard that before but do none of the exercises and learn nothing.

Good luck to everyone who is going to try it. I think I am already learning about myself. I guess only time will tell if it was worth the money or the time. I guess I figure it's worth it if I even change one habit that helps me.

Melanie

faith
09-13-2003, 11:47 AM
I was disappointed in DR. Phil's show also. Nothing new really.:(

dzneprincess
09-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by MelanieC

I also have always had poor self esteem. I have from an early age. I was alwasy called short, shrimp. I got large breasts from an early age and I started gaining weight at 15. Until I learn how to take those negative thoughts and turn them into positivve true statements, I will never fully be able to love myself enough to keep the weight off forevever.

Wow Melanie, I could have written the exact paragraph above.

mom2boys
09-13-2003, 11:56 AM
I taped Dr Phil but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

If there is anything specific someone would like recapped, PM me.

As you can see, I signed up for WISH a while back - that is about as far as I have gotten on my program (or lack there of). Every year I say "before my next trip to HH DVC" I am going to lose weight. Well, year 4 just past and I haven't lost the weight.

wovenwonder
09-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Melanie,
I haven't gotten the book so I will be looking forward to your updated posts as you go thru the steps in the book. I'm glad that you decided to share this on WISH. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something new that will help me. It sounds like there is SO MUCH MORE in the book than what he was able to get across in a short 2 hour special.:D

gillis95
09-13-2003, 12:39 PM
I agree that many people..especially people on this board did not get a ton of new info from the show. But that family that they had on kept saying that they believe it was genetics. "My parents and grandparents are overweight so it's genetics" Well it's possible..and I'm sure the truth..that your whole family eats poorly and makes bad choices. It turns out the guy eats fast food (supersized no less) 12 times a week!!!:eek: THATS NOT GENETICS. The whole family is smiling and bobbing their heads.

You have to realize that we are bombarded with bad food everywhere. We have to stop making excuses and own it. You might be 'predisposed by certain factors' but YOU made YOU fat!! No one makes me eat the bad things I eat...oh that was another thing...you need to remove factors (including friends/family) that do not support your effort..at least temporariliy.

My best frien who is overweight and her husband (also very overweight) love to eat!! WE'll be driving somewhere and they are discussing where to eat lunch tomorrow and places they NEED to eat dinner at sometimes. They discuss the next restaurant while at the 1st restaurant! I know they are bad for me and they invite me out wioth them all the time but I have learned to say no thanks to them. I only eat at their house when I feel like I have more control over portions for myself.

We all know how to loose weight. I agree that it is total behavior modification.

plutosmyfav
09-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gillis95
I agree that many people..especially people on this board did not get a ton of new info from the show. But that family that they had on kept saying that they believe it was genetics. "My parents and grandparents are overweight so it's genetics" Well it's possible..and I'm sure the truth..that your whole family eats poorly and makes bad choices. It turns out the guy eats fast food (supersized no less) 12 times a week!!!:eek: THATS NOT GENETICS. The whole family is smiling and bobbing their heads.

You have to realize that we are bombarded with bad food everywhere. We have to stop making excuses and own it. You might be 'predisposed by certain factors' but YOU made YOU fat!! No one makes me eat the bad things I eat...oh that was another thing...you need to remove factors (including friends/family) that do not support your effort..at least temporariliy.

My best frien who is overweight and her husband (also very overweight) love to eat!! WE'll be driving somewhere and they are discussing where to eat lunch tomorrow and places they NEED to eat dinner at sometimes. They discuss the next restaurant while at the 1st restaurant! I know they are bad for me and they invite me out wioth them all the time but I have learned to say no thanks to them. I only eat at their house when I feel like I have more control over portions for myself.

We all know how to loose weight. I agree that it is total behavior modification.

I agree that habits need to be broken in these examples, but what Dr. Phil didn't address is the biological drivers in these peoples behavior. If your brain is telling you that you need food and you need it right now, it can be very hard to ignore it. Maybe for a day, a week, a month or a year, but eventually, the internal signals can be too strong when coupled with never ending fast food supply. Dr. Phil mentioned sugar and salt addiction, but yet he's not advising a diet. He did say to lean towards harder to eat foods which is good advice, but I think he put too little emphasis on the biochemestry behind overeating.

As for exercise, this one always gets me mad. I have been faithfully going to a gym for 3 years now. Five days a week, stringent cardio and weight lifting 1 and 1 /2 hours per session and the only way I lose weight is by dieting. I thought all I needed to do was get active but it isn't enough. I'm active on the weekend too. The problem is I have a horrific appetite and I find it very hard to live in a constant state of hunger.

And the only way I can fight the constant hunger is by eliminating sugar and refined carbs out of my "diet". I know that isn't the case for everyone, but when I saw some of the people that were featured on the program my heart just broke for them. I don't think positive thinking and behavior changes is all that they need. Certainly 12 trips to MickeyDs isn't healthy, but how many people would actually want to do that? There is something wrong with that poor man, not just bad choices. I just felt like it was a little to simplified. I don't think any of those people went home with enough information to change their lives.

I am going to buy the book, I did like a lot of what he said, I just felt it wasn't an "one size fits all" solution.

anniet
09-13-2003, 05:56 PM
I agree, and did you notice what the family was eating even when they were at home?

Their plates looked small, but there was a little bit of salad, 1/2 a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce and a good size piece of garlic toast.

C'mon whether Atkins, or weight watchers we all know that wasn't a healthy meal.

They could have piled on more salad, cut back on the spaghetti and eliminated the garlic toast and it would have been much healthier.

plutosmyfav
09-13-2003, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by anniet
I agree, and did you notice what the family was eating even when they were at home?

Their plates looked small, but there was a little bit of salad, 1/2 a plate of spaghetti and meat sauce and a good size piece of garlic toast.

C'mon whether Atkins, or weight watchers we all know that wasn't a healthy meal.

They could have piled on more salad, cut back on the spaghetti and eliminated the garlic toast and it would have been much healthier.

And switched the 24 oz tumblers from apple juice to water!

gillis95
09-13-2003, 08:25 PM
The apple juice was the first thing I saw!!!! Almost 1/2 my days calories are in their 1 beverage!!!!!!!

PRINCESS VIJA
09-13-2003, 08:26 PM
I liked the show. But you guys are going to laugh at me!:p When I look forward to watching a TV show in the evening, I almost always eat something, and look forward to this activity. As the show was approaching, I was wanting to eat something sooooo bad. I was laughing at myself, because how ludicrous THAT would have been, if I would have been snacking away on that bag of chips, watching a show about weight loss!:rolleyes: I changed and went in the bedroom to watch the show, and when he talked about doing something incompatible with eating, it really struck me, only because I had just done that exact thing, by switching rooms. I couldn't eat in bed, so that really hit home with me. In the past, I am one of the guilty ones that eat most of their daily calories at night.:eek: So, I do need to change my habbits.

Baby steps....

plutosmyfav
09-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by PRINCESS VIJA
I liked the show. But you guys are going to laugh at me!:p When I look forward to watching a TV show in the evening, I almost always eat something, and look forward to this activity. As the show was approaching, I was wanting to eat something sooooo bad. I was laughing at myself, because how ludicrous THAT would have been, if I would have been snacking away on that bag of chips, watching a show about weight loss!:rolleyes: I changed and went in the bedroom to watch the show, and when he talked about doing something incompatible with eating, it really struck me, only because I had just done that exact thing, by switching rooms. I couldn't eat in bed, so that really hit home with me. In the past, I am one of the guilty ones that eat most of their daily calories at night.:eek: So, I do need to change my habbits.

Baby steps....

That's an excellent idea! I think I will rig something up so I can watch tv from my bathtub. TV is my biggest downfall. A luxurious bubblebath with TV might just be the trick!

MelanieC
09-13-2003, 09:59 PM
I too really enjoy eating while watching TV. It's really sad, but it's pleasurable to me. According to the book its part of emotional eating. I had veggie pizza while watching TV. 3 slices too! But, it was all withing my points and I had just exercised for an hour right before the show!!

I definately don't think that a 2 hour show can even begin to give anyone a real insight as to what they would need to do to loose weight. The show was a Dateline show, and the show was run by Katie. As for the people, Dr. Phil only had a few minutes with each one. I am wondering if those are the people that are going to be doing the challenge. From what I heard, they will run a segment each morning on the Today show. Dr. Phil's new season also starts this week. It will also deal with the topic. So far from what I have read with his book, I think that Dr. Phil is doing a good job of trying to get to the causes of why we do these things to ourselves. I won't really know if the book works until I am done, reached my goal and have maintaned for a few years.

Melanie

anniet
09-14-2003, 06:19 AM
So Melanie, do you think the book goes a lot deeper?

Does it investigate the possibilities of causes for emotional eating and how to overcome it?