PDA

View Full Version : New DVC at Contemporary?

zulaya
09-12-2003, 05:00 PM
There's a thread on the DVC board that there's a rumor on Screamscape that DVC is going to rehab (demolish/rebuild) one of the wings at the Contemporary and make it a DVC resort with 4-5 stories.

Anyone heard anything else about this? Sounds a little out there to me, but who am I to know the plans...

d-r
09-12-2003, 08:32 PM
well, not that I believe it, but it would be hard to do anything to the garden wings that wouldn't be an improvement, if you know what I mean. A few weeks ago I met some nice people on the boat to wilderness lodge and when we went past the garden wings the husband asked me if I knew what those were? I said you mean those rooms there? That's the cont. garden wings - he said "you mean those are hotel rooms? People stay there? I thought it was some kind of office or storage or something." I'd probably stay there on points.

Mooobooks
09-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Those wings have always looked like a cheap motel. I got stuck in one on my first trip to WDW and boy was I disappointed. Yet, there are those on this board who point to this hotel (and the Polynesian) as the pinnacle of Disney design because they are the only hotels at Walt Disney World that had some direct input from Walt.

eeyore0062
09-12-2003, 10:31 PM
We had a wonderful stay in the South Wing overlooking Bay Lake on the 3rd floor 2 years ago. I loved staying there.

mickey1010
09-13-2003, 09:46 AM
I would definitely be interested in staying there on points. I imagine they would spruce them up quite a bit. Anything to get a monorail DVC resort!! (Although I would much prefer Polynesian Villas.....):teeth:

SpaceAce
09-13-2003, 11:00 AM
What does it mean to "stay on points?" Thanks!

wtg2000
09-13-2003, 11:16 AM
It means to use Disney Vacation Club points rather than pay regular hotel rates.

MelissathePooh
09-13-2003, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't put too much stock in it - Saratoga Springs is going to be a huge complex - only opening with 4 of what should end up being about 9 buidlings. It will be a while before that one is completely finished. I don't know if they have completely scrapped the Eagle Pines plans or not, but if not that would likely be the next DVC addition.

I'd rather they leave the originals alone, but would probably use some points to stay there.

Melissa

wtg2000
09-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Are the tree house villas and the two houses that were part of the original Disney Village Resort going to be part of the Springs?

d-r
09-13-2003, 04:44 PM
moobooks, the contemporary tower *is* the pinnacle of Disney design, along with the polly and ft. wilderness/wilderness lodge - I've just never been that taken with the wings.

zulaya, I asked my guide about this, and the answer echoed what's been discussed on these boards - they aren't sure what to do with the tree houses yet, some folks want them to be offered for points, other folks don't, but because of the wet-land restrictions they can't tear them down and rebuild them, so basically they will have to have at least the same foot print that they have today - for now they are in limbo. If they offered them for points some folks would get them and like it, other folks wouldn't get it and would complain, that is the thinking.

Nick@ VB+OKW
09-13-2003, 05:55 PM
I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

Demosthenes
09-14-2003, 08:03 PM
I've not heard anything about the CR tower rumor; however, I've seen a concept drawing for a 2-part resort (1/2 DVC and 1/2 hotel) that would be an Italian theme on the monorail line. This drawing was nothing more than concept art, and I saw it long before the Eagle Pines project was announced, but I also saw the concept art for the now nixed Eagle Pines project at the same time. I would bet dollars to donuts that a premium DVC resort will one day be announced on the monorail line. The points will cost more, and the points to trade to the new resort will be higher than the existing resorts.

BossBrody
09-14-2003, 08:58 PM
I couldn't give Disney my money fast enough if they put in a Contemporary or Polynesian DVC!!!!!

I would love either location. :bounce:

TheSecondCook
09-15-2003, 09:00 AM
Hmpf, you know, this rumor bothers me. My wife and I stayed in one of the wings for our honeymoon back in January, as did my parents over 30 years ago. It'd be a shame if they were torn down just so Disney can leach more money out of the time-share market. Rachel and I had plans on staying there again, we were so enthusiastic about the experience.

I've lived here in Florida my whole life, haven't done much traveling, and am just a poor, starving college student. Admintantly, I haven't stayed in many hotels, let alone many nice ones...that being said, the garden wing room we stayed in is the nicest hote lroom I've ever stayed in. Marble floors and showers are hardly what I'd call "Cheap motel" fare.

I dunno, I'd just like to see Disney keep the VC resorts seperate from the main resorts.

Lewisc
09-15-2003, 10:06 AM
I read that Disney found construction costs less when they build DVC near existing hotels. They don't have the infrastructure costs (new roads, water, power, sewage) that they would have with a brand new resort.

The wing rooms are frequently heavily discounted and one of the wings has been used by Shades of Green. I certainly think either here (or by AKL) are good guesses.

ohanafamily
09-15-2003, 11:01 AM
I remember this rumor a while back, but I thought that they were going to build a new wing. We stayed in the Garden wing once, and other than a mile long walk:rolleyes: to the room, it was very nice.

:bounce:

DisneyMim
09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
This thread caught my eye. I always hesitate to say much about rumors because I have found that most times they are untrue, BUT we were in WDW last month and had a very interesting conversation with a DVC CM in the MK. We are long time DVC members and stopped in at the DVC booth to see what's new, etc. The CM did say that Disney is looking into building a DVC resort at the site of the CR wings. My husband and I talked about this afterward and laughed because last year a CM at Poly concierge told us they were going to build them there!! (at the Poly) We honestly thought that he was just "baiting" us as I told him I was a DISER and he was also. I could almost hear him breathing every time I was on this board waiting for me to post my rumor and him to double over with laughter!! LOL!! As you can see I am very skeptical of anything I hear, but this thread caught my attention. I do agree with some other posters that the wings don't seem to be at nice as they used to be, and it does sort of make sense to tear them down and so something. Again, don't know, but had to add my 2 cents.

jcltd
09-23-2003, 07:16 PM
The next DVC will be in the Seven Seas Lagoon!
The rumor about the contemporary is a couple of years old though so I wouldn't think too much about it.:cool:

skisurf2
09-23-2003, 08:31 PM
I love the garden rooms, but for the price you pay I think they could do some kind of renovation.

las3888
09-25-2003, 09:38 AM
I was interested in running across this thread today - my friend works at DVC and knows I love to hear what's going on. He told me a week ago that he hears there will be a DVC resort on the monorail within 4 years. They are looking at 3 different alternatives. The first one is to add on to an existing WDW resort (GF, Poly, CR), the second is to build a new resort from what I understand somewhere between CR and WL and the third is to build it on the monorail between MK and EPCOT. I would certainly be VERY interested in buying points in any of these locations if it ever happens!

princessandie77
09-25-2003, 03:52 PM
Some of those wings are showing their age. Some cosmetic surgury would be good

stacy6552
09-29-2003, 11:02 AM
OOOOOOO the idea of a resort on the line between the MK and Epcot is very very cool.........................

mitros
09-29-2003, 06:35 PM
That was supposed to be the Venetian resort, one of the original monorail hotels. I think they built the Grand Flordian instead, others on these boards know if that particular fact is true.

Demosthenes
09-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by mitros
That was supposed to be the Venetian resort, one of the original monorail hotels. I think they built the Grand Flordian instead, others on these boards know if that particular fact is true.

I know; however, I've seen a more recent vision of a possible reincarnation of the Venetian that was similar to the BW resort with 1/2 of it an inn and 1/2 of it a time share. It would be built between the CR and the TTC. I've just seen concept art, but it was recent concept art, not the old stuff.

tixx
10-04-2003, 05:35 PM
that would be very nice indeed

Andrew Bichard
10-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by wtg2000
Are the tree house villas and the two houses that were part of the original Disney Village Resort going to be part of the Springs?

I was told by a boat captain taking us to Downtown Disney, that this was the original intention. However there is some kind of Legal/Environmental problem that prevents time share ownership of property in designated wetlands that is preventing their use as DVC accomodations.

Andrew

Bacs22
10-20-2003, 09:32 PM
Just got back from WDW. Stopped into a DVC booth at the BW. Bought into the SSR (250pts). Was told that the next DVC Resort would be the "Osprey" Figured it to be around the golf course.

Tonyspad
10-23-2003, 07:28 PM
LAS388,

ME TOO! I would not even think twice about it. If I do not stay at a monorail hotel I feel as if I was not at WDW.

timC
10-25-2003, 09:06 AM
This rumor always causes a lot of excitement when it's posted...

Is there even a tiny bit of facts that even leads to a suggestion this might be true?

Have there been any discussion about the status of CR?

Mazz519
10-27-2003, 11:03 AM
It would be really cool, But I just dont seeit happening

:bounce: :earseek:

But one can wish