PDA

View Full Version : New Screamscape rumor/DVC at Contemporary

married@wdw
09-12-2003, 01:55 PM
I'm kinda doubtful myself, and these guys aren't known for their reliability, but I thought I'd pass this along anyway.

"Screamscape has received a rumor claiming that the next DVC resort, after the Saratoga Springs, may be built at the Contemporary. From the sounds of things, Disney will rehab the rooms in the South Wing and then demolish the North Wing to make way for a new five story DVC Resort. Anyone else heard this?"

IndianaDVCMember
09-12-2003, 02:32 PM
It would definitely sell. It would be unfortunate for my budget. I've been able to stay away from SSR, but I don't think I could pass this up.

DVCtinkerbell
09-12-2003, 02:43 PM
I heard this also, abought a month or two ago. I can't remember where I heard it; a message board, a friend. It sounds too good to be true! Have to wait and see.

Kim

Terry S
09-12-2003, 02:49 PM
As I posted on the other thread, I really don't like the themeing of the Contemporary, I think it is really boring. BUT, if this does happen anytime with in the next couple of years, it would be under the new date and I just might conisder it. I really like the idea of the 2054 date and wish BCV would have been 2054, but I have no interest in the location of SSR. This resort would have a great location.

zulaya
09-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Well, we all know that Eagle Pines is "supposed" to be next. I thought EP was going to be located near that golf course, which, if I am remembering correctly is closer to Fort Wilderness.

Could Screamscape's rumor be confused as the EP stuff?

Terry S
09-12-2003, 02:56 PM
If you think about it, those wings really need re-hab anyway. They can do what they are doing with DI, and they could use the facilities of the Contemporary Tower (resturants, check-in etc.). It would be much cheaper and quicker than a whole new resort.

CaliforniaDreaming
09-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Love this idea! I would definetly buy there. "The Villas at Disney's Contemporary Resort" - the fifth floor would probably even have a nice MK view. :)

dvc_john
09-12-2003, 03:32 PM
I would much rather have Eagle Pines, so I hope it's not true!

DebbieB
09-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Other than the great location next to MK, the Contemporary has no appeal to me. It reminds me of Three Rivers Stadium here in Pittsburgh, it was "contemporary" in 1970 when it was built but became drab & boring and was blown up in 2001, along with most of the other stadiums built around that time.

JimC
09-12-2003, 03:58 PM
I've heard similar rumors regarding Contemporary, and I would be happy if they demolished the wings. They really don't fit with the rest of the resort. Any DVC resort would most likely have four or five stories and I don't know how they will get that to theme with the Contemporary. That A-frame structure deserves to be the main visual attraction, and any other structure (such as the wings) must be low to the ground.

I've stated elsewhere that I think that DVC will want to build BCV like properties after SSR. They are modest in scale, leverage existing ancilllary services (check-in and support, maintenance, retail, dining, themed pool, and the like).

It seems that a large OKW or SSR can be anchors for DVC1 and DVC II respectively, but they probably make considerably more money off of the smaller DVC properties because of the tie in with an existing resort. EP was probably the DVCII anchor until DI became available. DVC realized they could leverage the DI infrastructure and develop there for less cost than at EP.

So my guess is that EP will be DVC III anchor long off in the future.

I'm probably wrong -- you know the saying "the more convinced I am that I am right, the more likely it is that I am wrong" :)

snwwht
09-12-2003, 04:07 PM
When talking to my guide about a month ago I said something about wishing DVC would build a property with monorail access.I even mentioned Cont.wings specifically.He seemed a little surprised and said "we have actually had a meeting about that exact thing".He did not seem to think it would happen but he is not always correct about things anyway.(Thank God for these boards or I would have made several big errors before and after purchasing DVC)

Granny
09-12-2003, 05:14 PM
The Contemporary DVC rumor seems to circulate a few times a year. I could only see Disney doing this if they thought that they would be unable to maintain high occupancy rates at the Contemporary in the future.

If they did build it, I think it would sell extremely quickly. A DVC on the monorail would be a hot ticket, regardless of theming.

princess&tig
09-12-2003, 05:24 PM
I would buy in an instant. Lets look at the advantages:

Great Location - views of MK and the most beautiful Lake in WDW. You can walk to MK.
Monorail Access - Only 3 hotels have this. This gives you access to all of the restaurants at Poly and the GF. You can take the TC to Epcot as well
Excellent Restaurants - Chef Mics and California Grill
Nice Beach
Easy boat access to Fort Wilderness, Fort Wilderness water park and Wilderness Lodge
The lake offers the best boat rentals in WDW, fishing, watersking...
The are remodeling so the new rooms would be DVC quality
We may even get the 50 year deal

I think this is the best thing that DVC could do.

jaysue
09-12-2003, 05:32 PM
My goodness, where can I sign up for that

:p

LIFERBABE
09-12-2003, 05:51 PM
We mentioned that we would be staying at the CR our final 5 nights and he mentioned that same thing about the North Rooms being converted to DVC.

Maybe, if Shades of Green is ever finished with the North Wing!:p

That is the best Lake! You cannot boat to MK from BWV or BCV!

PKS44
09-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by princess&tig
I would buy in an instant. Lets look at the advantages:
Easy boat access to..... Fort Wilderness water park

Uh...does this even exist anymore? River Country is to be demolished isn't it?

jaysue
09-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Still there in theory but not open and rusting/rotting away

palmtreegirl
09-12-2003, 06:23 PM
I'd buy in a heartbeat! :teeth: Sign me up now. ;)

beattyfamily
09-12-2003, 07:40 PM
That would be absolutely wonderful and I'd sell my current points to be able to afford that! I'd be in heaven!

I wish it were true!:teeth:

DisneyBill
09-12-2003, 07:59 PM
Count me in too. Where do I send the check?

JimC
09-12-2003, 09:01 PM
The wing side of the Contemporary primarily facees Bay Lake, not Seven Seas Lagoon and MK. Now maybe if they build where the north wing is located you would get a Space Mountain view, but the south wing I don't think can have a MK view.

tiggerguy2000
09-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Having a dvc resort on the monorail would sell quicker then the BCV.I asked a few times why don't you run the monorail over to the Wilderness Lodge and they say it cost to much.it would be nice if they cut into the loop in epcot and went over to the boardwalk area.If they extended it to mgm it would cut alot of the buses out.I love the monorail so im just dreaming.I know they would never do any of this.

tiggerguy2000

skorpie
09-12-2003, 09:21 PM
We just stayed at the Contemporary this past August for a convention. I NEVER would have booked it for a vacation, but since we got a great deal through SOG, we did stay in a North Wing room. I really didn't care for the decor at all, but the location was to die for!!!!! The pool area was quite nice as well. To buy into DVC there, I still don't know. I'm holding out for a DVC at the Polynesian!!!!!:p ( I know, in my wildest dreams!)

Habs_Fan
09-12-2003, 09:38 PM
DVC Villas at the Polynesian....

That I would be first in line for.... They have the room and it would be right on the monorail...

DrTomorrow
09-12-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by tiggerguy2000
Having a dvc resort on the monorail would sell quicker then the BCV.In the literature for SSR that I received, somewhere was some fine print about 'right-of-way reserved for future monorail construction. No, I don't think SSR has a snowball's chance of becoming a monorail resort, but I did like the idea.... It could meet up at the Epcot terminal, stop at SSR, over the water (!) to DTD/PI, stop at OKW and back to Epcot.

Hey, a guy can dream!

sgtpet
09-12-2003, 10:46 PM
Sign me up. Time to sell my VWL points.

GraceDVC
09-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Wow! We'd be first on line to buy into a Contemporary DVC. Always loved the CR and even kidded our salesperson back in 1995 about the prospect of DVC making the top floors for DVC owners only! It was the first resort we stayed in at WDW back in 1980, and we went back every two years in one tower room, before we decided to go to a moderate when we needed more rooms. At that time, we booked three rooms at the CBR for the price of one CR tower room. Boy, we would sure love to take the whole family back to the Contemporary -- our children and new grandchildren would just love it.

JimC
09-12-2003, 10:59 PM
Some time ago Disney announced a major transportation overhaul. It included extending the monorail to other resorts and parks, creation of a central TTC for the entire property, and I believe a high speed rail from ORL (there was a debate over a convention center stop, funding and the like going on at the time). There is a web site that had the details and press releases.

While I am sure that the past three years has red lighted that project, the legal rights of way are probably being maintained.

manning
09-12-2003, 11:44 PM
I would like to see one built between the comtemporary and poly on the monorail.

jaysue
09-12-2003, 11:46 PM
Aerial view

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll3/Roll03_005.htm

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll3/Roll03_004.htm

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll4/Roll04_002.htm

http://www.disneypix.com/2000ft/Roll3/Roll03_013.htm

dianeschlicht
09-13-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by DrTomorrow
In the literature for SSR that I received, somewhere was some fine print about 'right-of-way reserved for future monorail construction. No, I don't think SSR has a snowball's chance of becoming a monorail resort, but I did like the idea.... It could meet up at the Epcot terminal, stop at SSR, over the water (!) to DTD/PI, stop at OKW and back to Epcot.

Hey, a guy can dream!
And you have GREAT dreams, Dr. Tomorrow!;)

erikthewise
09-13-2003, 08:00 AM
Sorry, I'm holding out for Polynesian Villas! ;)

If the Luau Cove were relocated, there's room between PR and GF for a resort the size of WLV or BCV. We've been told the land between CR and PR is unbuildable (too swampy or something). But we had our honeymoon at a resort built on an "unbuildable" site!

Mai Ku Tiki
09-13-2003, 08:19 AM
My BCV points, my house, my cars, my DH, my DS, our beloved cockapoo Spike the Wonder dog and my books for a chance to purchase at a

DVC / POLY !!!!!!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

OK......I'm kidding about the books......;)

erikthewise
09-13-2003, 08:41 AM
Mai Ku Tiki,

You and half the other DVC members! Polynesian Villas would sell out in 3 months strictly from addons, and DVC knows it. That's why I think there is a faint hope that it will actually happen someday. Just don't hold your breath. We all need to exercise daily and eat lots of vegetables so we will live long enough to see it.

Mai Ku Tiki
09-13-2003, 08:48 AM
Aloha!

Just threw out those Krispy Cremes I bought last night and heading out for a 5-mile jog.......

Hope to see you all under the palms one day SOON !!!;)

tiggerguy2000
09-13-2003, 03:14 PM
DVC knows it would be a sure winner.The perfect spot would be between the Poly and the Floridian.I would call this resort THE GRAND POLYNESIAN VILLAS.
Don't think it will be cheap at around $100.00 a point with a hitch(POINTS TO STAY WILL BE HIGHER)
Im just looking at Disney they way they have acted in the past.What do you think?

tiggerguy2000

CaptainMidnight
09-13-2003, 03:24 PM
A DVR Resort near the Contemporary offers MK within walking distance, and very attractive option. The contemporary could use a little updating.

I've also seen discussion on the rumor's board of light rail to some of the non-monorail resorts. I've never understook why the monorail was so expensive to build, seems those cement rails would be cheaper than roads, electric train cars cheaper than smaller busses. Light rail/trolly type transportation would be slower and not as flexible or direct as a bus to get transportation to where it's needed for people.

abeyst
09-13-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm holding out for adding on and praying that something similar to the Poly will be created. It doesn't even have to be by MK, they could put it clear out in the middle of nowhere and I'd still buy. I just need that "tropical" theme!

I agree with tiggerguy2000- they'd up the point cost and point requirement in a heartbeat if it was by MK. I can't say that would stop me, though!

Richyams
09-13-2003, 04:54 PM
come on, they do enough to us, you aint got to go giving them ideas!!!

DVC knows it would be a sure winner.The perfect spot would be between the Poly and the Floridian.I would call this resort THE GRAND POLYNESIAN VILLAS.
Don't think it will be cheap at around $100.00 a point with a hitch(POINTS TO STAY WILL BE HIGHER)
Im just looking at Disney they way they have acted in the past.What do you think?

tiggerguy2000

Really bad idea, it would never work, you should be ashamed even proposing it.

ForTheLoveofDisney
09-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Sign me up!! I'd buy at the Contemporary in a heartbeat !

I'm with IndianaDVCMember, who says, "It would be unfortunate for my budget. I've been able to stay away from SSR, but I don't think I could pass this up."

And, if they had villas at the Poly, I wouldn't even think I could pass it up, I'd know I couldn't pass it up!! Just my two cents in the matter :teeth:

tiggerguy2000
09-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Richyams
come on, they do enough to us, you aint got to go giving them ideas!!!

Really bad idea, it would never work, you should be ashamed even proposing it.

Ashamed im not! They had us paying $108.00 by the time they could no longer sell timeshares with the 2042 dateline.Now that they revamped the timetable only makes the dollar amount exceed what they thought was the end of the line.
Im sorry for not shadowing the truth and seeing it as it is .

Im on the Disney fan side and I dont like the way things are done.
They keep taking and we keep trying to get it back. Sorry if I said something out of place.Your Disney friend tiggerguy2000

Barb
09-13-2003, 10:17 PM
We're another family that would jump on a monorail DVC resort! For years, my husband wouldn't stay at any resort but a monorail one. Then the room rates went sky high, and we adjusted. Then we wised up and bought DVC. :D

CaptainMidnight
09-14-2003, 10:04 AM
Sure looks like there's room between the Contemporary and the Transportation station for a resort, doesn't it?
http://www.disneypix.com/Multimedia/WholeProperty.jpg
I do think there is a savings advantage by joioning up wiht an exsisting resort, like sharing the expense of having a person on a check in desk 24hrs per day and all the other personal, common facilities that are needed to be on call or available for both resorts, especially if it's a smaller DVC addition. I don't know that we'd buy a monorail resort points, especially given thier current costs, but it would be fun to stay at using the 7 month window.

DVCPAT
09-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
I do think there is a savings advantage by joioning up wiht an exsisting resort, like sharing the expense of having a person on a check in desk 24hrs per day and all the other personal, common facilities that are needed to be on call or available for both resorts, especially if it's a smaller DVC addition. I don't know that we'd buy a monorail resort points, especially given thier current costs, but it would be fun to stay at using the 7 month window.

I agree,

I disagree that the monorail adds cost/points to the resorts they service. The initial construction cost is high but the operating cost are very low. From what I've read, monorails are 99.9% efficient. If construction cost is high and operating cost are high, monorails would not exist.

DebbieB
09-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CaptainMidnight
Sure looks like there's room between the Contemporary and the Transportation station for a resort, doesn't it?
http://www.disneypix.com/Multimedia/WholeProperty.jpg

There was a resort on the drawing board there (not DVC) but rumor has it that soil tests showed the area was too swampy to build on.

vernon
09-14-2003, 12:00 PM
I think much will depend on the success of SSR but if that goes well I think DVC could be seen as the rescue venture for the less desirable parts of the Contemp that, while not as much of a "problem" as the Disney Institute was, has long been viewed as an under achiever at WDW. It would require a complete rework of the buildings at the Contemp, maybe even bulldozing them and starting again, but I think it's the resort that makes the most sense for Disney to turn into a "monorail DVC".

The Poly and GF are successful and popular as they are and I doubt Disney will want to give up the profit potential of those resorts unless things change dramatically. IMHO Disney see DVC as a useful tool for repairing areas that leak ( or in DI case Hemorrhage) valuable cash,they will try to shore up those leaks before moving on to other areas.

IMHO if the Contemp makes a decent fist of using all it's areas profitably then we'll see EPV first, if Disney starts to worry about an area that it feels is losing it money it is likely they will deal with that "problem" before starting on a new venture, that left alone is a zero/negligable cost

PKS44
09-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Exactly! As successful as DVC has been it has not occured in a vacuum...as DVC grows resort bookings at non-DVC have to be affected as former guests now book into DVC instead of the Poly, GF, CBR, PO, etc... There is a point at which DVC expansion is NOT in the resort's best interest--unless they are going to close some resorts...DVC does not expand the audience already coming to WDW--it locks them in--but does not increase the market share. So long as the Poly can book guests at $300+ a night regularly...why give those guests a cheaper long-term option? Sure you get a short term cash infusion now--but in the long run the Poly bookings might suffer overall...If the Contemporary can no longer draw the big bucks like a monorail resort should--then it is possible that DVC could solve that problem--but it also might eat into the bookings by guests who would stay there instead of the Poly and GF just to be on the monorail...the long-term savings might be enough to move those guests to the Contemporary and away from their preferred monorail resorts...and again the bottom line long term could be a losing proposition....

erikthewise
09-14-2003, 06:48 PM
Up until this time DVC has not been used as a "fix". Neither BC nor WL was in any need at the times those villas were built. Rather it was a matter of DVC riding on the coattails of successful resorts. It remains to be seen whether the "fix" strategy works at SSR. In any case the strategy of building a DVC component of successful resorts has worked so well it's hard to imagine that DVC will abandon it.

Is there any evidence that bookings at BC and WL have suffered as a result of the DVC resorts adjoining them?

The point about DVC eating into deluxe resorts is a good one, but recent events indicate Disney prefers building DVC resorts to building new deluxe resorts. That's assuming that someone is actually coordinating an overall strategy.:rolleyes:

disneychick05
09-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow! This sounds great, however, I do feel that certian aspects of the Contemporary are in need of refurbishment. Maybe a DVC resort would bring a fresher look to the entire resort.

CaliforniaDreaming
09-14-2003, 08:46 PM
I think a 5 story concrete building would look fine on the current site of the north wing. It really wouldn't make the place look that much different, and as long as they used the same general style of the south wing and put balconies the entire way across, it'd be perfect. ;)

ClarabelleCow
09-15-2003, 08:22 AM
I, for some strange reason, love the contemporary and the funky decor!!! We stayed there 3 times, in a garden wing, the one closest to the MK, always ground floor, so we could sit on our little porch and watch the Water Pagent. The grounds are nice, and the pool area is huge. Maybe I shouldn't hold out, but if I did an add-on, which I don't need at this point, 225 points is perfect for us. I would be buying there in a heartbeat!!!!