PDA

View Full Version : HH 9/22-9/26 - Hurricane Isabel - We're Going!


poohstx
09-12-2003, 08:26 AM
We have reservations 9/22 - 9/26 at HH for our first visit there. With the current forecast for Hurricane Isabel, I think we're going to cancel those reservations at this time. Even if the hurricane doesn't hit, the beach and surf will not be enjoyable. Maybe we'll try again in the spring. :(

UPDATE

The forecast is much improved for Hurricane Isabel, so I'm glad we didn't cancel our reservations for HH. Thanks for all your advice and support yesterday. Looking forward to enjoying HH for the first time.

PamOKW
09-12-2003, 08:32 AM
You should do what you feel is best. We were once headed to Vero as a hurricane was predicted to be heading that way. The resort had even "battened down the hatches" bringing in all the pool chairs, etc. A little rain, then beautiful weather. The storm went further out to sea than expected. This was a smaller hurricane than Isabel and it did churn up the seas. You just never know for sure where they are going to go....just like predictions of blizzards.

I've seen Isabel tracked to Florida, the South or turning north and out to sea.

I'm sorry for your disappointment.

Marisa'sMom
09-12-2003, 08:45 AM
I'm so sorry that you have to cancel your trip! But, you are probably making the right decision. Even though you would love being at HH, being stuck in your room if its pouring rain, or worst yet having the evacuate HH. Hope you'll be able to reschedule your trip soon!

DebbieB
09-12-2003, 09:16 AM
Did you reserve with DVC points? If so, your points will go into a holding account and can only be reserved 60 days prior to check-in. You may want to wait and see what the hurricane actually does, it may turn north and miss the US completely. If the hurricane actually hits in that area, member services may refund your points to normal status. They probably would not do that if you cancel now. I would wait and see what happens. If you booked cash, then you should be able to get a full refund now.

Regina
09-12-2003, 09:45 AM
It's a tough decision to make. My DD is living on the Outer Banks for an internship, and the ocean has been very rough with all of the storms that have developed. It's unlikely that it will be safe for swimming during your travel dates.

You may want to see if MS would be willing to exempt you from the 30 day cancellation policy because of this.

Let's hope that Isabel misses the east coast, although it's looking more and more likely with each passing day. :(

alvernon90
09-12-2003, 10:47 AM
The most recent prediction does have Isabel headed for the Carolinas, but if you look at the discussion on the NOAA web site, they are now saying that the majority of the computer models have the hurricane turning farther north, possibly not hitting the U.S. at all. The official forecasters remain skeptical of such a northward turn, but then again, three days ago they had Isabel headed for Puerto Rico or Cuba.

It may be wishful thinking on my part (we will be at Hilton Head Island on the weekend of the 27th) but it's looking more and more like Isabel will head north. Much of it depends on a system currently developing over the continent. We will have a much better idea by Tuesday.

Be patient until then, and keep your fingers crossed. As previous posters have said, you should have no problems with a no-penalty cancellation if the hurricane hits, but if you cancel and it misses you're out of luck.

timC
09-12-2003, 11:00 AM
If it was me, I'd wait to the very last minute before I pulled the plug. This thing is unpredicatable at this time. It may miss the coast completely, and be a lovely week at HH... or maybe not.

Either way. Figure out when you positively absolutely must make a decision.

Disneyaholic
09-12-2003, 11:19 AM
I would also recommend waiting till closer to the time of your reservation.

We've been to Hilton Head twice shortly after "close calls" by hurricanes. The resort does an amazing job of recovery. The worst that happened was that the beach house pool was closed for about a day-and-a-half because of sand that got in. There were a few small branches down at the resort itself, but nothing too bad. At this time of the year, I would guess that the resort is probably not at capacity, so even if the beach house pool is closed, the one at the resort may still be open.

And, has been said before, if there is a mandatory evacuation of the area, I believe that DVC will return your points to your account with no penalty; if it's a cash reservation, you won't be penalized, either. Maybe a call to Member Services with your "what if" questions would put your mind more at ease?

doubletrouble_vb
09-12-2003, 12:14 PM
I wouldn't cancel. Looking at the predicted storm path today I think you might have a better chance of being flooded out in Albany than being miserable in your room in Hilton Head. Granted you may not be able to swim due to riptides (look at the Jersey Shore last weekend!). But you should be able to sit on the beach, look for beach treasure and wade.

BEACHCLUBVILLAS
09-12-2003, 03:12 PM
I'd also wait it out.....By the 22nd (that's 11 days away), the hurricane may even be long gone or never a factor. If it does send in some big waves, it'll be fun to watch the surf and see what the storm sends in. We're going to the Beach Club Villas on the morning of the 14th and are very much looking forward to it. Best of luck.....

July
09-12-2003, 10:56 PM
Hold out as long as possible!
Pray, pray, pray...
July