View Full Version : New resort opening--a rush on rooms?

09-11-2003, 12:03 AM
I was just thinking about SSR opening and am wondering if those that waited for BCV or VWL experienced any problem getting reservations for the first month or two the resort was open.

I figure everyone who purchases SSR and needs to wait until December (and especially those with kids in school) will be at their phones early in the a.m. on December 1 making 1st ressies--and probably many in June as the dates follow school schedules.

Am I needlessly concerned? Does anyone have any experience with waiting for their home resort to open, only to find that your dates just weren't available because of an initial rush on ressies?

Just speculating.:rolleyes:

09-11-2003, 05:00 AM
I think you will be fine if you call Dec 1. When BCV opened and they started taking ressies in March I was able to book a room for the summer near the end of April. We will be at OKW the first week in June next year. Good luck!

09-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Keep in mind that SSR will have only 1 building open on May 1, 2004- with one building scheduled to open each month after thru August.

The month of June will have only 2 buildings open (46 villas per building), so early reservations may by tougher to find at SSR than when other resorts opened. If you plan to try SSR in May or June, owners should exercise their December 1 priority to reserve since other DVC members must wait until February 4, 2004 to make a reservation at SSR.

Good Luck! :)

09-11-2003, 12:56 PM
I've been wondering about this myself....I'm a new member with 200 at SSR and waiting for school to be out for DD7 and DS4, plan is to go 1st or 2nd week in June. They only say a 2nd building will be open in June but not specifically when; so what if it doesn't open until June 28, technically we could have only 1 building open until the end of June. And how can they know in December at what point in June building 2 will be open so they'll know how many rooms are available when we all start calling Dec.1?
I definitely plan on calling first thing Dec.1

09-11-2003, 02:30 PM
These were the same concerns that I had. How do they know how many to book and at what period in time? I would guess that initially they will just have the 1 building and then a whole new block of reservations will become open when it comes much closer to the date of completion of the next building. Just a guess anyway.

09-11-2003, 06:59 PM
As Doc says, be sure to call as soon as your window opens. If your dates are not available when you call, get on the waitlist. IIRC, there were many, many reports of waitlist success when BCV first opened.

IMHO, if you call early in your priority period and use the waitlist (if necessary), there is an excellent chance you will be able to stay at your home for your June vacation.

Good luck!

09-12-2003, 01:41 AM
Oh, yes, the waitlist. I had almost forgotten about that option.
Thanks for the reminder!

09-12-2003, 06:50 AM
I have just purchased SSR as well, I will be going Christmas 2004, does this mean I can still book this December, or would I have to wait for the 11 month window?


09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by spm23
I have just purchased SSR as well, I will be going Christmas 2004, does this mean I can still book this December, or would I have to wait for the 11 month window?


You will still have to wait for the 11 month window to open.

The December 1, 2003 date is the first day that SSR owners may call to make SSR reservations for checkouts between the resort's anticipated opening of May 1, 2004 and 11/1/2004.