PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about Fire Mountain

TiNkErBeLl51
09-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Can anyone tell me about Fire Mountain? I heard taht it was supposed to be in the Magic Kingdom and be sort of like Rock n Roller coaster in the sense that it would be inverted and have a soundtrack??? or am i thinking of a different ride? and it was supposed to go by the Haunted Mansion..but now the rumors are that it will go in Adventrueland if it is ever greenlighted. I have also heard of an ICe or Snow Mountain..something to do with the Snow Queen or Ice Queen (not sure what shes called)? Does anyone have any information about that?

WDWHound
09-10-2003, 09:24 AM
I haven't heard anythig about the Fire Mountain rumor in a long time. At one point, it was supposedly very close to being greenlighted. The location it was rumored to be planned for was in Adventure land, near the tree house. Some rumors even stated that initial site surveys had been done. Disney never said anything official about the project, so who knows if any of this was really true.

As for the "snow queen" rumor, that sounds like it might be a variant on the Villain Mountain rumor that was floating around about the same time as the Fire Mountain rumor. Supposedly this was planned for the 20K Lagoon area, but it has been a dead rumor for several years now.

wdwguide
09-10-2003, 10:17 AM
I would love to hear some insider's opinions about this. It seemed like Fire Mountain was *extremely* close to being greenlighted. Why was it shelved? And are Fire Mountain, the AK dragon coaster and Expedition Everest at all related (e.g. same technology, different themes?), or are they all completely different projects?

WDWHound
09-10-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm not a insider, but I can take a shot at the technology question. As the original poster mentioed, Fire Mountain was rumored to be an inverted coaster. Everest is not going to be inverted and I don't beleive the Dragon coaster was going to be either. This makes it unlikely that the projects shared much technology, at least as far as the coaster goes.

I too would love to know what happened to Fire Mountain. Hey Scoop, do you know anything on this?

d-r
09-10-2003, 11:01 AM
OK this is what I remember.

I think the actual spot was between Jungle Cruise and Pirates. If you go back stage there, you'll see that pirates is just a big blank square wall; the show building here would be up against that, on the other side of the berm (the other side of the RR). They did float balloons to test sightlines of the valcano, from what I understand. The idea being it would be cool to see it from Polly, not so cool to see it from Main st. etc.

My understanding of the ride was that it was supposed to start as a tradional roller coaster, but in the valcano the floor dropped out and it switched from a track beneath to an inverted coaster with no floor and the track above for the rest of the time. It is possible that the direction change in E:E uses some similar technology, but I'm not sure how much. How much ideas borrowed from others - the valcano at mysterious island in Tokyo, E:E, etc.

What happened to it is simple enough. Adventureland really needs a thrilling e-ticket. Animal Kingdom really needs a thrilling e-ticket a whole, whole lot more. Epcot does too. The MK was the highest attended theme park in the world last year, so if you are still pulling the people in put the investment where it is needed most.

And I think the OP has three things kind of blurred together with the placement of Fire Mt. by the HM, the fire and ice, and the ice queen. At the same time that the Fire Mt. plans were being worked on, another team worked on plans for Bald Mt. (villains mt.) for the spot where the 20K lagoon is. So the show building would have back up sort of near the show building for HM. The idea here, as I undersand it, was that there would be a log flume, with Mickey, sort of along the Fantasmic sort of storyline, you stumble on to a meeting of the villains and they give chase. The rumor was that this used "Cave" technology. In some ways, Mickey's Philharmagic is the ******* step-child of this idea.

I think tha fire and ice would be the original type of roller coaster planned for the beastly kingdom in DAK but that ended up in IOA.

That's just my understanding. I wouldn't say those ideas are "scrapped" either, but I wouldn't look for them anytime soon, either, but they are still around and in the long term kind of plan.

TiNkErBeLl51
09-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Thanks for answering my question about Fire Mt. but the roller coaster was supposed to be in Fantasyland and now that Disney is going to have a movie coming out about the Ice/Snow (?) Queen, whom the ride was based on, does anyone think that the ride will be revived? I mean Fantasyland could do with a new ride don't you think?

wdwguide
09-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by TiNkErBeLl51
Thanks for answering my question about Fire Mt. but the roller coaster was supposed to be in Fantasyland and now that Disney is going to have a movie coming out about the Ice/Snow (?) Queen, whom the ride was based on, does anyone think that the ride will be revived? I mean Fantasyland could do with a new ride don't you think?

What movie would that be?

WDWHound
09-11-2003, 10:53 AM
There were rumors of a martial arts version of Snow White (no, I'm not kidding) called Snow that Disney was considering about a year ago. Could this be the film you are thinking of?

Sarangel
09-11-2003, 07:42 PM
WDW Hound, it's more likely that TiNkErBeLl51 has heard one of the many rumors circulating about Disney doing a version of Hans Christien Anderson's The Snow Queen.

It seems to me that this time last year there were pretty strong rumors that the project had been greenlighted, but I haven't heard anything since then (although I'll admit to being a little out of the loop).

Sarangel

wdwguide
09-11-2003, 07:51 PM
It's not uncommon for Disney to create theme park attractions to coincide with or in some cases even precede their animated features, although they seem to have abandoned that approach for the time being because their recent (non-Pixar) cartoons have been performing miserably with the critics and at the box office for the most part. Even if they resumed this strategy, I would think that it is rather unlikely that a roller coaster would be themed to an animated fairy tale because there isn't much of an overlap in terms of target audiences. I hope I'm wrong, though. Any e-ticket attraction in the Magic Kingdom would be fantastic. It's been a long 11 years since Splash Mountain...

TiNkErBeLl51
09-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah that's the movie im thinking of..."Snow Queen" I know on one of the websites i have visited, about forgotten Disney Rides that were either removed from the parks or never greenlighted, it said something about a roller coaster based on the story. I haven't heard anything about it lately but figured witht he movie due out in the coming year or two (?) that the ride would come up again..cuz Disney seriously needs another e-ticket ride. REALLY BAD!

WDWHound
09-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Sarangel
WDW Hound, it's more likely that TiNkErBeLl51 has heard one of the many rumors circulating about Disney doing a version of Hans Christien Anderson's The Snow Queen.
Hmmm, That would make a tad more sense in this case. I hadn't heard this particular rumor, but I hope they do it.