PDA

View Full Version : cash vrs debit card?

feenie
09-03-2003, 11:41 AM
We have two options to use for ship board charges. Cash or Debit card. We want to pay cash, but how much do we need to put down? If we don't spend that whole deposit do we get cash back or how does it work? Do they put a hold on a certain amount of funds in your debit card account? AAARRGGHH! I am so confused!

alexandrew
09-03-2003, 12:39 PM
I've used my Visa check card on previous cruises....it works just like a regular credit card with regard to when DCL will charge it....when your stateroom account hits, I think, $400.00 in charges, they will apply it to the card....

If you have a debit card such as Visa check, I would recommend using that vs cash...

webray
09-03-2003, 03:10 PM
In my cruise documents (we leave 9/13) it says when you check in, they will apply a $500 charge to your card for charges. If you want to pay cash at check in...then they check you in and direct you somewhere else.

We called and put added some shipboard credits to our cabin...the girl told me if we did not use them, they would be refunded. We approximated all the things we wanted to do for sure, spa, pictures, drinks, etc. Anything else will be easy after that.

Disneymommie
09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
When we checked in we simply checked cash on the form. No differnece in check in. We were allowed to charge up to $250 dollars on our room charge. We got a letter under our door when we were just over $200. We simply had to stop at Guest services to pay the balance. We did that everynight, but you can do only if your account gets to high. Cash was Simple. We did the last night pay it off, then put our Debit card on file just in case we added anything that night, so we could avoid guest services in the AM. Paying cash was so simple. Nothing down up front and NO interst to come home to. Feel free to email or PM me with questions.

musicgirl
09-03-2003, 07:22 PM
Cash and debit cards are one in the same for me on the ship. I'm only bringing cash for those items that I will need to spend cash on. As for the rest of the trip, it goes on the debit card. I simply figure out how much I know I will spend (excursions, tips etc.) then add some for extras. It's available in the account whenever they want to charge it.

Disneymommie
09-03-2003, 07:37 PM
I was going to use my debit card, but was afraid that the bank would gwt it messes up. I have had problems in the past with daily limits and them not being charged right. So I did not want to take the chance that they would charge my card the last night and me have no way to back up the funds if the bank decided not to allow the charge. If your bank has no issue like this then it would be one in the same. We had not problems with cash. Either way you will have a blast on your cruise!!!