PDA

View Full Version : Special treats for anniversaries/birthdays?

Eeyore18
08-25-2003, 11:06 PM
We just returned from a stay at the GF. We were celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary there, which I mentioned to the CM on arrival. Unfortunately, nothing was done. I know it's not an absolute guarantee, but I thought it would be nice to surprise my husband. Has anyone ever had anything special done for them there?

safetymom
08-26-2003, 04:52 AM
Yes sometimes magical things happen for guests celebrating an occasion. But if you had wanted something for your anniversary you should have arranged for it. Many many people are celebrating occasions and it would be hard for WDW to accomodate them all.

kdibattista
08-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Agree 100% with safetymom.... there were probably thousands of people celebrating something special to them and you cannot expect Disney to acknowledge everyone. If you didn't make the effort to have something special arranged, why would you think Disney would? For future reference, there are plenty of places that will help make your special occassion wonderful.... you could order a cake from one of the bakeries, order a gift basket from one of the many companies around (www.disneyflorist.com, www.pixiegifts.com, www.basketsbylori.com, www.theperfectgift.cc). That's what I do each and every trip to make it even more enjoyable (if that's possible ;) )

ducklite
08-26-2003, 07:11 AM
I have to agree as well. I got blasted on these boards a couple months back for telling people not to expect anything and to make their own arrangements in order to avoid disappointment. As others have said, there are thousands of people celebrating various life events at WDW at any given time, and it's simply financially and staff wise impossible for WDW to do something special for everyone.

We celebrated our anniversary in concierge at the GF one year, and service was so bad we moved after one night. I don't think they would have done anything special for us considering we could barely even get a can of soda pried out of their tight little mitts.

Anne

GladysK
08-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Make note of it when you MAKE your ressies...that way it's "Official". We did last year and recieved a card and a small gift from the gift shop at AKL in our room . It was a nice gesture, but I was having such a good time ,if I hadn't recieved anything,it didn't matter.:D

Eeyore18
08-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. That is true that so many people are celebrating events, I guess I must of read it somewhere to let them know. But I guess they can't get to everyone. Just thought alittle magic might come around! We had a great time anyway!

hulabird
08-26-2003, 09:40 PM
I have heard of people receiving special things, like a fruit basket in their room or something, but usually the event was a major one, like celebrating a 30th anniversary. We have always gone on our anniversary and have had that noted on our ressie, but nothing special has happened to us, but we have only been married for 5 years.

mrsltg
08-27-2003, 08:24 AM
I have to agree with everyone - better to plan for it yourself. My DD will turn 3 while we're at WDW in December (this is not a coincidence!), and I'll be bringing all kinds of Happy Birthday stuff to decorate the room. I am also going to order a cake because God forbid I expected one and didn't get it and then my DD was left with no birthday cake (of course, as DH points out, maybe she'd forgive us because we took her to WDW for two weeks for her 3rd birthday, but I can see her on the therapists couch over lack of birthday cake!) --- anyway, I digress!

Last year we celebrated our anniversary at WDW. We had mentioned it on our reservations, but nothing ever came of it. However, we had our anniversary dinner at Citrico's and our desserts were presented with chocolate writing on the plate that read "Happy 3rd Anniversary" with chocolate hearts all around. Definitely a nice touch!!!

Bottom line, though, is if you want it, go ahead and pay for it this way you make sure it happens!

Erin :D

sugarplumsmom
08-27-2003, 08:27 AM
We have stayed at Value, Mods, and the Poly. My DD got a card from Mickey and Minnie for her birthday (Value and Mod), we got roses and card when we got married at Sunset Point (Value and Deluxe resort) and last year when we stayed at the Poly LV Conceirge for our anniversary and DD birthday we had cake for her birthday and balloons with a card, and strawberries with champagne for our anniversary.

However, we go 3-4 times a year and on SEVERAL occasions have had no acknowledgement of special events. It is a nice surprise when and if it happens, so I never count on it.

If we really want some "acknowledgement", I always book a character meal for DD birthday and then she gets her cake/cupcake and card and isn't disappointed. We don't always book a special meal for our anniversary but when we have, we have received a card or dessert.....

Otherwise, we just LIVE to be there and if I was a zillionaire, I would live there!!!

(Why can't I win that POWERBALL!!!!)

Laura

Dalpal
08-27-2003, 09:10 AM
We stayed at the YC on our 30th Ann. in July.
I made sure they knew it when I made the res.

I also told any CM at the restruants we went to during our week that we were enjoying an Ann. trip for the week.

At the R&C they gave us our coffees free and at the Le cellier they gave us free dessert.

The YC had strawbarries and champaine for us one night when we got back to our room and on another night there was a really cute card and a pin.

But I told them every time I got on the phone with res. to change or check on our res. before we went.

Also we had help with our plans from a wonderful person working at the YC.
I dont know how much of it was from the YC itself and how much of it was from that person, but it was the most wonderful Ann. vacation we ever had.

My best advice is to tell any CM you see about it. We also had t-shirts that said it was our 30th ANN.

sandbar
08-27-2003, 10:11 AM
When I made my ressie I mentioned it was for our 25th anniversary. She was so sweet and said there would be something special in the room for us when we arrived. Yikes! Was she setting us up for disappointment if there ends up to be nothing there? Maybe she shouldn't have sounded so definite when I talked to her. It doesn't really matter. Either way, we are going to have the best time just because we will be in Disney! :D

Mike_in_FL
08-27-2003, 10:24 AM
We stayed at AKL concierge and Poly LV concierge this summer for our 10th anniversary. At AKL we received a beautifully decorated cake one evening, while at the Poly we received nothing. We really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the AKL staff, but we will not be holding a grudge against the Poly!! I imagine it depends on a number of factors, including how busy the resort is, how many other guests are celebrating special events, which CMs you deal with etc.

In any event, I wish everyone a magical vacation!

Mike

Sandi
08-27-2003, 10:41 AM
We're celebrating our 13th Anniversary and our DD's 9th bd when we're there in October. It is noted on our reservation. I'm not expecting anything and I'm making plans for our celebrations. I'm hopeful that the CM who checks us in will with my DD a happy birthday because she would think that is cool. Otherwise, I don't expect anything and will be pleasantly surprised with anything tangible or not.

ducklite
08-27-2003, 10:44 AM
The AKL concierge is well known for their treats. That is one place that you are almost guaranteed a special something (usually a cake) to celebrate a life event.

Heck they even send Christmas Cards, and have called on our birthdays and anniversaries without fail since the first time we stayed there!

The others seem to be hit and miss at best.

Anne

Jen D
08-27-2003, 11:12 AM
It really does seem to be hit or miss, and I agree that if you want something done, plan it yourself. We did get pleasantly surprised on our first trip. We were at the Boardwalk Villas. We were celebrating an anniversary and my child's birthday. We never actually told Disney this because I don't know, I guess it isn't our style. But the wonderful person (from these boards) who I rented points from must have told them, because my daughter got a signed Cinderella pic and a balloon, and a pin lanyard, and we got a balloon and a Mickey-Minnie frame. Our dvc friend also sent us a welcome gift, a plush for my daughter. We had almost cancelled our trip because we were coming from NYC about 10 days after 9/11 and we felt bad about leaving, but finally decided to take the trip. I think maybe our friend might have asked them to sprinkle a little extra pixie dust for this reason.

I know I'm going off topic but I've never shared this nice story on the boards. Dis'ers take care of eachother!

nicurnc
08-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Twice we were remembered by the staff for occasions-
Once for our 25th anniversary they sent a bouquet of peach colored roses, a basket with fruit, nuts and chocolates and a split of champagne. This was at the GF.
At the WL the staff signed a cute birthday card for my husband and sent it to the room with balloons, a stuffed Mickey toy and a cake. The kids were joking in the lobby about "Daddy turning 21...again!" The card was signed "Happy 21st!!"

We have been there many other times and ususally to celebrate an occasion, but these were the only times we had something done for us. But that is part of what makes it so magical, not expecting it;)

Besides, if they had to make a big deal out of every little happening, it would start to be like those annoying restaurant "Happy Birthday Songs":( Man, I really hate it when that happens!LOL!

Loretta

LKS
08-27-2003, 01:28 PM
We had a big trip last year to celebrate two special occasions, and there was nothing from the resort, but I took care of it myself by ordering a huge Mickey Character Cookie Bouquet that they got into the room by the time we checked in.

My husband celebrated the big four-oh on Father's Day last year and he got a card from the Captain of our Illuminations cruise and a birthday cake big enough for all of us at our Teppanyaki Dinner.

Later that week on our 15th anniversary, we booked the chef's table at V&A but nothing unexpected happened there either. I just felt we had booked our own special treat.

kdibattista
08-27-2003, 01:43 PM
where did you order the cookie bouquet from? That's sound so cool!!!!!

Janet2k
08-27-2003, 02:40 PM
Kdibattista, I'm not LKS, but I did a quick search of the Internet for you in regards to companies that sell cookie bouquets:
Cookies by Design (http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/catalog_disney_mickey.cfm) (this one is the most well-known)
FTD.com (http://www.ftd.com/514/catalog/product_search.epl?expresslane=Yes&AID=ftd_search&flc=FTD&website_id=514&search_box=cookie) (famous for flowers but also sells cookie bouquets)
Disney Florist (http://www.disneyflorist.com) (I bet they could arrange something for you)

kdibattista
08-27-2003, 02:42 PM
I can't wait to check those out!!!

Janet2k
08-27-2003, 03:08 PM
I thought I would post what is found on the official Walt Disney World website in regards to this topic:

- - - - - - -
Q. Is there anything special I can plan for a birthday or special occasion?

A. A variety of activities are available at our Resort to help make birthdays more special and memorable. For instance, your family may wish to dine with the Disney characters at one of our many character breakfasts, lunches, or dinners. Call (407) WDW-DINE (939-3463)† to find out more about how to create a memorable celebration for your birthday or special occasion.
- - - - - - -

I thought I would also mention that my family has celebrated many birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions while at both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. For the most part, those occasions have passed unnoticed, as I expected them to (understandably, they are only important to my loved ones). But being the party girl :jester: that I am, I have planned all sorts of special events for my family/guests in order to celebrate a special occasion (group reservations at the Hoop-Dee-Doo, the Polynesian Luau, Victoria & Albert’s, Illumination cruises, Gifts of a Lifetime event, (http://www.giftsofalifetime.com/) etc.). I just adore celebrations. ;) However, a few times pixie dust has been sprinkled on my vacations by forces unknown to me (maybe it was that little "pixie" that Peter Pan loved so much). I thought I would post a photo of one of the birthday cakes that magically appeared in my resort room during one vacation: click here for photo of birthday cake. (http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/janettwokay/vwp?.dir=/Walt+Disney+World/Walt+Disney+World+Suites/GF+Two-Bedroom+Suite+(Cypress+Suite)/Parlor+Room&.dnm=Birthday+Cake.jpg&.view=t) Please note that I am only posting this photo because if you order a birthday cake from Disney (for a fee), this is the sort of cake that you will get. I have heard that you can order a much more elaborate one (along with an elaborate price tag, of course), one basically of your own choosing (cake flavor, filling flavor, decorations, etc.), so don't think the photo of the cake that I just posted is your only option. By the way, the cakes are scrumptious (I think the one in the photo was filled with strawberries, yum!).

Mickiethepooh
08-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Last year my husband and I had our 34th Anniversary dinner at Cinderella's table and they sprinkled the table with tiny metallic Mickeys and presented us with a pair of Champagne flutes to take home.
This year for our 35th I can't even get priority seating there LOL
So will try the Fulton Crab house, never been there. Any suggestions of a nice part to ask to be seated in?

drdelsol
08-27-2003, 06:06 PM
We have gone for the weekend for our anniversary and both our birthdays for several years as well as other times(this weekend, I can't wait) and only once has anything happened. I wouldn't even had known towel animals exisited if it hadn't been for this forum. My wife always gets a large flower arraingement from the Disney florist and last year I got one of those cookie buckets (that's bouquet):) also from cookies by design and that went over well.

This year at WL though we got a certificate, towel animals, a card and a bottle of champaigne:) And this was in a discount GV room. So keep trying.

JESW
08-27-2003, 07:50 PM
We were down in Disney in June for our 16th anniversary. We split our stay between the AKL & the BWI (concierge at both) Our anniversary was during our stay at the BWI, but at the AKL we received a little box with perfume & cologne for DH & I - very nice!

One year we were at the YC (concierge) and it was DS's bd. He recieved autographed character pictures/cards AND balloons and they also had some of both for his younger sister in our room. For that I spoke with a woman at the YC concierge - sorry, I forget her name as it's been a couple of years. Four our anniversary I had our TA make a note of it on our reservation.

Jill

CdnDisneyFan
08-28-2003, 10:00 PM
When I was staying at ASMO for my bday in Nov, on the reservation sheet said I would get a call from Goofy on my bday (my TA told Disney that I would be celebrating a bday), and nothing happened, so later that night, I called Guest Services to find out what happened, and they asked what my fave character was, and I told them Tigger, thinking I'd get a call from him, but a few minutes later, there was a knock on my door, and a sweet CM was standing there with a balloon bouquet and a signed card from Tigger and friends. Sure cheered me up, as I had the beginnings of a nasty cold, and was laying down when the knock came. I ended up deflating the balloons, and taking them home, and I still smile whenever I look at them and the card now!!

Jules

frannn
08-29-2003, 08:15 AM
In order to celebrate, we have PS at CRT (2X!!), CP, CM, and a few others. We will get the birthday buttons from the park and she will wear as long as it is comfortable for her. If she is acknowledged in any individual way, great, it will make our trip that much more magical. If not, we won't be dissapointed because we feel the trip and the character meals are the special birthday surprises. She will also be having a birthday party (Disney themed, of course) at home, so we will give her presents at home. Wouldn't want to spoil her any more than she already is, would we? Nahhhhh!!!

PumpkinPrincess
09-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Can you have things shippped to the Pop Century( Like flowers, gift baskets?)for B-days or Anniv

2BusyPlanning
09-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Can you have things shippped to the Pop Century( Like flowers, gift baskets?)for B-days or Anniv

Sure! I sent a gift basket from the Disney Florist to my friends at POP.

WendyisDarling
09-15-2007, 02:28 PM
We stayed at AKL concierge and Poly LV concierge this summer for our 10th anniversary. At AKL we received a beautifully decorated cake one evening, while at the Poly we received nothing. We really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the AKL staff, but we will not be holding a grudge against the Poly!! I imagine it depends on a number of factors, including how busy the resort is, how many other guests are celebrating special events, which CMs you deal with etc.

In any event, I wish everyone a magical vacation!

Mike

Same thing for me! One year we were at Poly LVC for my BD (noted on ressie) nothng extra, not even a spoken "happy birthday". Next year did a split stay checked out of Poly LVC and checked into AKL Club level on my actual birthday. Nothing from Poly. AKL --wow! A beautiful cake was waiting in the room and a message that a package was at the front desk. The package was an envelope with a cute certificate celebrating my "forever 29 BD". We had dinner at Kona that eve and received a special birthday dessert (not sure if that was from Kona or a request from AKL concierge).
That being said, I wasn't upset that Poly didn't do anything and was surprised AKL did. I kind of felt silly noting it on my ressie, but when they asked if we were celebrating anything, I thought what the heck.
BTW, I have read of some nice things happening at the Poly, too.
ITA with other posts. If it is really important, plan something yourself and then if you get a little extra--all the better.:goodvibes

IWISHFORDISNEY
09-15-2007, 02:43 PM
AKL spoiled us last year. We got a cake and Anniversary buttons the day we booked the sunrise safari and then when we arrived at breakfast there was a card and fastpasses. Very nice. We had never recieved that much from another resort. 5 years we got a card and ballons at CSR resort, 10 years nothing from BC. But we were staying CL at AKL so maybe that was the difference. Not sure. I know this trip we are celebrating my sisters 50th and I had to pay for the cake with a cc hold in advance from WCC. I guess you never know but it seems AKL is a bit more on the ball than most hotels.

Mrsjvb
09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
we're staying at Shades, but when I called to see if by some miracle all the Free Diners hadn't snatched up every seat in the resort for Dinner Wednesday( our 9th anniversary) I mentioned that fact to the lady taking my reservation. So, we may or may not get something at dinner that night. If we do, I'll be tickled , if they don't, I already have my pressie.. a week at Disney plus a few special events.. Cirq and a spa day courtesy of Mr jvb.

Hmm, It's a little late our flight leaves in 18 hours.. think I should set something up for him? heheheheh

Eeyore's My Favorite
09-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I called last night to make ADR for breakfast at the Crystal Palace on the 26th and was surprised that they still had good times available. DH decided that was where he wanted to go for his choice of anniversary meals!! He just loves the breakfast buffet there. We love the character dining even though our DD no longer goes to WDW with us (she's at college). Can't wait!! Cape May & Crystal Palace...................fantastic dining!

Mickey.........here we come.............:jumping1: :jumping1: :drive: :car:

calgarygary
09-15-2007, 05:46 PM
First off, I am a huge believer in making whatever arrangements you need/want to make your trip special and if Disney, or for that matter, any company, does something special - well that's just gravy. That being said, last year during our 30th anniversary trip, we were recipients of some very nice surprises. While in Cancun, we received 3 bottles of champagne and 2 fruit baskets from the Secrets Excellence resort. At Universal, the PBH staff upgraded our 5 nights to club status and the AKL concierge staff sent us his/hers fragrances and an ostrich egg with a bead band. All of these were very special indeed. In all honesty though, we received just as much pleasure that wearing WDW's buttons brought - strangers giving us a big smile and congratulating us.

Sammie
09-15-2007, 06:46 PM
It is very random and happens more often when staying concierge.

PrincesCJM
09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
My boyfriend (Todd) received an autographed picture of Mickey Mouse and a little note from him. I had it noted on the reservations that we were checking in on my boyfriend's birthday and I mentioned it again when we checked in. The CM who checked us in at All Star Sports did give Todd a birthday button. The picture arrived the next day at our hotel room. I was super excited by it :yay: , Todd didn't really know what was going on as he was waking up for a nap. Reservations had said that they couldn't guarantee received anything but yet again, they can through. I really wasn't looking for anything more than a "Happy Birthday Todd!" because I know that Todd's birthday has never been a big deal (and it should be!)::MickeyMo

Oh yeah, it was Todd's first trip of Disney! That just made it an even more memorable experience and he can't wait to go back!

mickeysaver
09-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Last year we stayed at CBR. Our ressie noted that it was our anniversary. We received a few Mickey balloons and a card from Mickey and Minnie wishing us well. I was floored!

A couple of weeks ago, my coworker and her hubby were at VWL using the 40% off code from much earlier this year. They had it noted that it was their anniversary. They had no balloons or cards, but they did get turndown service without request everynight!

Our upcoming trip has my birthday noted on it. I don't expect anything. If we are pixie dusted more than usual, I will accept it with great pleasure, but I never expect anything other than the usual Disney level of service from any stay that we have ever had. Somehow, we always manage to find extra pixie dust here and there anyway. Maggie

LvsTnk
09-15-2007, 08:31 PM
We have gottejn the cakes at Polynesian Concierge, and AKL Concierge (aslo the fragrance for our Anniv. there. Balloons and cards at the BWI and CBR.

We just got back from my son's birthday trip and the birthday button they gave us at checkin had his name on it and boy did he love that. Everyone wished him a Happy Birthday by name. He also got to stay on for second ride a few times.

I planned a birthday wishes cruise and ordered a Stitchcake. But I was really impressed when we walked up to the Crystal Palace at about 9:55pm (they closed at 10pm) and they took us and had the table decorated with streamers/pixie dust and a windmill when we walked in. They must have noticed the BD button. It was a great way to start the trip since we just arrived at 7 and headed over to the MK for an hour.

newholidayx2
09-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I have it noted at both Pop and BCV, have it noted on a few ARs
Dont have it noted at the tours
Im doing alot of planning and know I'll have a Happy 50th. If Disney comes through, great! If not, I know I'll be having a Birthday to Remember! (see my signature)

mt mommy
09-16-2007, 07:37 AM
I guess I was very fortunate. We stayed at the Poly GV in February for our 10 year anniversary. We were pleasantly surprised when the 2 ladies that helped me check in showed up at our room a few minutes after we got there with a huge basket full of goodies. It had chocolates in it, dried fruits, nuts coffee and toffee. I felt so special. Along with a signed card from Chip and Dale. So, sometimes surprises do happen, just don't expect them I guess.:confused3

wdw4us5
09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
On the down side of things, My youngest son got very sick, while we were staying at the ASM, (had a doctor come to the room and everything), he needed his medicine cooled. I went to the front desk and asked to rent a fridge. I did tell them my son was sick. They gave me the fridge for free (no daily charge) and that afternoon, someone arrived with a ballon tied to buzz and woody stuffed animals and a card signed by Mickey saying get better soon. What a nice surprise this was. :cloud9:

I do have to say thought on a couple different occasions I have just purchased gift baskets and had them delivered to our room, they really do a great job with those.

TheRustyScupper
09-16-2007, 12:10 PM
1) If you ask at the resort, they can get balloons and an autographed card.
2) The Front Desk or Concierge CM can sign a form for the "Runner".
3) It gets delivered during the Front Desk Runner's tours.
4) Beyond that, it is up the individual CM's to decide to do or not to do something.
5) There is some latitude for the CM to give Magic or Pixie Dust.

6) It all depends upon
. . . how you act
. . . how much the CM likes you
. . . the individual effort of the CM
. . . the spare time (slack time) available for the CM to do something
. . . the phase of the moon
7) Some of the things CM's can do or have done
. . . balloons and cards
. . . dinners at signature restaurants
. . . room service dinners
. . . champagne in the room
. . . flower or fruit baskets
. . . toys or stuffed/plush animals
. . . room upgrades, including to Club Floor

NOTE: If you ask for the above free Magic, you probably will not get them. Most CM's figure if you ask, you are trying to get something for free. If you wanted it, you should have ordered it and bought it. Remember, that with 42 million guests a year, there are going to be a lot of honeymoons-anniversaries-birthdays. Everyone can't get free stuff.

yankebabie
09-16-2007, 12:13 PM
We just returned from CBR and had some special things done for our 20th anniversary, such as a card from Mickey & Minnie wishing us a happy anniversary and balloons. We got buttons from customer relations that said Happy Anniversary and also received special things during our stay, such as a glass of champagne with dinner at Mama Melrose.