PDA

View Full Version : Question About Staying Concierge

scanne
08-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Ok. I really want to stay in the Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge for my 5 year anniversary in 2005. My question is do you save $$$ on food if you mostly eat the food offerings in the concierge lounge as opposed to going out for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks?

I am hoping by 2005 we will have another baby (that will make 2) and we will stay in concierge and use the ounge for breakfast, snacks and some light lunches and dinners and maybe only do two or three dinners. I am hoping to be able to save enough $$$ to stay for 11 nights, 12 days (we will get annual passes) and the only must-eat restaurants on our list at this point are Crystal Palace, 'Ohana and Boma.

I'm really interested in your opinions on the cost factor. I am also hoping that Disney goes back to AP discounts and we save a little off the rack rate.

Thanks!!!

ducklite
08-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Breakfast is definitely a savings. Lunch is nothing more than gummy bears and pretzels, so don't plan on a meal there. In the early evening they have finger foods, it is an appetizer, not a dinner replacement. At dinner you could skip dessert and have it in the lounge. So to answer your question, no you can't plan on eating all your meals in the concierge lounge in order to save money on food. The offerings are not meant as meal replacements (except breakfast), but as snacks and extras.

Are you really planning on going back to the hotel for all your meals? That would seem penny wise and pound foolish time wise to me.

Concierge service is just that. It's service. You will not get your "monies worth" in the food offerings to comepensate for the higher room rate, if that is why you are thinking about concierge. You are paying for an upgraded level of service, not food. If you want food, book a regular room, rent a mini-fridge, and stop at Publix. It will cost a lot less in the long run.

Anne

ead79
08-25-2003, 09:31 AM
I have stayed at Poly concierge twice (it was great both times), and here's my thoughts on the food offerings. You can easily eat breakfast in the lounge. We're not big breakfast eaters at home, so a muffin or pastry in the lounge is plenty for us. If memory serves, they also have little cereal cups that kids would like. Lunch/midday there is definitely not more than enough for a small snack. When I was there they only had out cookies and beverages with a few other little things (like some candy). The dinner offerings are really like appetizers, so it would be very hard to make a meal of it. You can definitely eat dessert in the lounge (and I recommend it--they are great).

I agree with the above poster that you won't be able to get your money's worth by meal savings. If that's a priority on your trip, a home away from home resort might be perfect. You could get groceries and prepare some meals in the kitchen of your room. Plus, they are really nice accomodations.

Hope that helps! :)

scanne
08-25-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks ducklite and ead79,

I didn't think that it was that cost effective - I just want to find every way I can to convince DH that it would be really nice to stay concierge. He's not a big breakfast person, BUT as it stands, this trip will include me, DH and DS (and another kid if things work out ;) ) plus my parents and my aunt and perhaps my grandmother and cousin. Now on our last trip at WL we ate at Roaring Fork most mornings. If we stayed concierge, we could skip going to GCH/Captain Cook's and have our breakfast in the lounge. We go pretty light on lunch and always go back to the hotel in the middle of the day to relax, swim and nap and then head out around dinner time. So we could have some snacky/appetizer stuff, go to dinner at a park or resort then continue our theme park-ing. We are planning a longer stay so that we can relax more. This past trip was only 8 days and we were running commando style and I am realizing I don't like going commando and I want to slow down the pace. I also wanted to celebrate our 5 year anniversary in a special way and I thought that perhaps the service and convenience of Poly concierge would really be special.

I am going to start saving now for this trip with anywhere from $200 - 400 a month. Then when I'm ready to book it I'll be able to tell DH that I have X amount of money already saved and we can definitely afford it. I am also going to buy AP's before my DC membership is finished to get our AP's at $377 per person. The baby will still be 2 when we go because we're going the month before he turns 3.

Thanks again for your replies!!!

Anne

Lisa3
08-25-2003, 01:04 PM
I am by no means an expert but I can tell you what we have planned. Last Dec. was our first stay at the Polynesian and we fell in love with this resort (or should I say the Kids and I - DH just wants a place to sleep). We stayed in a regular GV room which was really more that I had ever hoped for. There are 5 in our family myself, DH, DS (9), DD(8) and DS(6). The only thing I was very dissappointed in was Captain Cooks (we had previously stayed at POR and loved the food court). For our family to have just a small breakfast was easily $35.00! Now remember this is cereal, small serving of eggs or french toast sticks with DH and I eating the kid's leftovers. When I booked our Nov. trip I first booked the same type of room. The CM then said I could upgrade to GV Concierge for $60/night (Come Back Rate). It really didn't take much to realize that $60 could easily be made up in breakfast alone - remember there are 5 of us. Plus we are also planning more time at the resort this trip (it will be our 20th Anniversary) so I really wanted to make it special. I did entertain the idea of LV Concierge briefly but unless they come out with some fantastic AP rates I just don't feel comfortable spending the extra money on a room (I'm buying myself a new wedding ring instead). I also have used my Disney Visa and will have about $320 in reward dollars to put toward our room.

So, I guess I would have to say if it is within your budget go for it. It would seem to me that the lounge would be very convenient for you especially if traveling with a new little one - Good Luck!

AspiringCindy
08-25-2003, 03:39 PM
My question is...is it worth it to have LV concierge over GV concierge? I can't make up my mind. Is there ever a possibility of being upgraded from GV con. to LV con.?

Lisa3
08-25-2003, 05:10 PM
I have dreams of checking into concierge and having them say "Happy Anniversary" we are upgrading you to this wonderful LV room complete with champagne, flowers the whole works (Maybe I will just try to win the lottery by then-LOL)! I think the FTP put an end to my dreams, they seem pretty full for Nov. Oh well, maybe AP rates will finally come out or some extra pixie dust will fall our way. In any case we will have a wonderful time.

taylor1293
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by AspiringCindy
My question is...is it worth it to have LV concierge over GV concierge? I can't make up my mind. Is there ever a possibility of being upgraded from GV con. to LV con.?

IMO, yes it is!!! The view is amazing! I've heard of people getting an upgrade from GV to LV but it's quite rare.

Teresa

AspiringCindy
08-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by taylor1293
IMO, yes it is!!! The view is amazing!
Teresa
You had to tell me that...didn't ya! I got off the phone with CRO about two hours ago and booked GV Concierge. LV would have been $75 more a night. We spend so much time in the parks, so unless a discount code comes out in the Spring(for summer), we will stick with what we have!

taylor1293
08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by AspiringCindy
You had to tell me that...didn't ya! I got off the phone with CRO about two hours ago and booked GV Concierge. LV would have been $75 more a night. We spend so much time in the parks, so unless a discount code comes out in the Spring(for summer), we will stick with what we have!

LOL! Sorry :( I think the GV is beautiful as well! I am sure you will love it. The great thing about the Polynesian is that they have a fantasic concierge lounge with an incredible view so you'll get the LV that way! I agree that if you are spending a lot of time in the parks it isn't worth $75 a day!

Teresa