PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion on resorts for our stay

jdads2
08-25-2003, 08:28 AM
Hi folks,
Well, we finally have our WDW vacation dates set. Because we couldn't get the exact dates we wanted for our flights we have to extend our vacation by 3 days...the sacrifices we must make!!

We are going to be at the World for a glorious 12 days and I'm having a tough time deciding on a resort. In the past we have been able to spoil ourselves by staying at deluxe resorts by getting unbelievable rates...our last visit we were bumped up to AKL concierge for $150 a night (very long story)!

I doubt if we will ever be that lucky again and even though I would love to stay at a deluxe again I need to be convinced.

We are planning on POR. We are a family of 5, kids are 12,9 and 6. Are we going to be too cramped for a 12 day stay? Should we head back to AKL...we really loved that resort.

We don't really stay in the room that much and we do use the pool quite a bit even if it is just for a quick dip at midday.

....I'M SO CONFUSED!!!:crazy:

Kimberle
08-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Oh, poor you!! I'm just crying that you have to spend an extra **3** days!!

With 3 somewhat older kids, and a 12 day stay, I would think that you might start to get on each others "nerves" with one room. Maybe 2 rooms at an All Stars? Or a cabin, or other home away from home.

I'm sure where ever you decide to stay, you'll have a wonderful time!!

amymouse
08-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Yes, we had to make a similar "sacrifice" when we took our cruise. We used our frequent flyer miles and the best arriving flight I could get was 4 days before we sailed. Ohhh, what a shame we "had" to spend a few days at WDW before the cruise. I think I feel a tear welling up right now.

Anyway, back to your question. I would have to second the previous reply. If I were planning a trip that long, I would think very seriously about two rooms at a value or moderate. The extra space and second bathroom can keep personal pet peeves and tempers at bay. My personal fav is the AS Movies. I also loved how convenient the quiet pools were at CBR.

Have a great time. I think I'm a little jealous of your WDW "sabbatical."

jdads2
08-25-2003, 11:31 AM
An excellent idea to consider, 2 bathrooms and added space! Another consideration was the Fort Wilderness cabins but we are going with my in-laws who are not WDW fans (they have never been and don't understand what all the fuss is about), so I would like to make the resort stay VERY Disneyesque...know what I mean?

Thanks for the replies!

Tigger Fans!
08-25-2003, 11:37 AM
I'd suggest renting DVC points for one of the home away from home resorts....OR.....Dolphin sleeps 5 and their AP rate is only $139 night on an AP rate and that includes a free upgrade!

TTFN!

Yoo-hoo.....Tag Fairy.....where are you???

susy
08-25-2003, 12:14 PM
What about the ASMo??? It's VERY Disney and you could get three rooms. The kids could have their own room. If one of your kids could share with your inlaws, maybe two rooms at a mod??? we had a deluxe room (sleeps 5) at AKL with just my DH, DS (age 4) and myself. We are all kind of on the small side and I could not have imagined 5 people in that room! For 12 days? UGH!!!

When we took my niece and nephew we got two rooms at ASSp and that was the best! They were connecting rooms and the kids had their own room. It was wonderful!

MJames41
08-25-2003, 01:25 PM
jdads,

To really wow your in-laws, I would suggest the Boardwalk, perhaps renting points for a 1 bedroom. Or, how about a split stay? Depending on when you are going, it could even be more economical for you (the number of points needed to rent for the DVC resorts go up on Friday and Saturday nights).

It depends on what you think your in-laws will like. POR is also a very nice resort - perhaps the mansion section. Lots of possibilities.

jdads2
08-25-2003, 02:21 PM
We have had other folks suggest renting pts. We currently get a great deal on rooms throughout WDW resorts (not Swan/Dolphin) and if we didn't get the discount renting pts would definately be the way to go.

We also don't feel we have to impress them as much as we feel we want them to experience that Disney feeling as much as possible. They are only staying for 4 days in the middle of the trip. We would book 2 rooms at the GF, Poly or GF if it were at the beginning or end of our trip. I don't want to spend that much $$ for the whole trip nor do we want to move from resort to resort 3 times.

I have been looking at the Dolphin for the last few hrs. and that seems like a possiblity. My wife qualifies for the gov't employee discount.

....I can be so difficult!

Tigger Fans!
08-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by jdads2
I have been looking at the Dolphin for the last few hrs. and that seems like a possiblity. My wife qualifies for the gov't employee discount.

If you decide to go with the Dolphin you might want to sign up for their Spg (Starwood Preferred Guest) card. You can do it online and it's free! At check-in they offer free upgrades if available when you use your card.

TTFN!

welovedis
08-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Hey Dave!

Pity you--3 extra days at WDW-lol! Good to see your post :)

I would really look into renting points. Depending on the resort and the dates you can end up with a terrific deal. We just got thru setting up our rental in January and we are paying $130 per night for a BWV studio. You can't beat that deal with any discount rate as far as I know! if you can--better tell me quick-lol!

With the number of people in your party you could get a nice 2 bdrm for everyone (in-laws too). Just another idea.

If not, I would go with one of the value resorts and get 2 connecting rooms for your immediate family. Nice to have 2 bathrooms, 2 TVs, 2 wardrobes for clothing, etc... 2 tables to eat breakfast, if you do that, is nice too. Don't know what your tastes are as far as theming but Pop Century is opening in December...

We were booked at BWI & AKL, then CSR & AKL, now we are finally booked in BWV and happy with our choice. I decided that it wasn't worth getting anxious waiting to see what AP rates may or may not come out for our trip. We ended paying about $100 more (overall) to stay at BWV for the whole 11 nights than we would have spent at CSR for 9 nights & 2 nights @ AKL concierge (this is figuring the BEST AP rate that I could come up with based on past figures).

Anyway-
Good luck with the planning! :)

sardan
08-25-2003, 03:52 PM
I think you should head back to AKL. You'd be way happier and the vacation will be that much more special.

anita46
08-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Since you're going for 12 days I would split my stay. 6 and 6 like two separate vacations!!
My choice would be AKL and BC or YC.

swilphil
08-25-2003, 11:05 PM
We just stayed at the Dolphin and loved it. The location is ideal, and the pool is nice too. You might want to look into the Jr. Suite for at least part of your stay.

Deb & Bill
08-25-2003, 11:14 PM
If you are going this December, you had better forget about renting points from a DVC member. Everything is booked. You might find someone with a reservation that they aren't planning on using, but it will be a long shot.