PDA

View Full Version : Which Deluxe Resort?

tiggerlover
08-25-2003, 06:55 AM
If you were to chose a deluxe resort for a 5 day visit, which would it be and why? I have a friend who is going in the middle of December with her DH and DD (8) and she was wondering which I would chose. My first two choices would be the Polynesian or the Beach Club, how about you?

jdads2
08-25-2003, 07:02 AM
We loved both the Poly and AKL. While researching which resort we should choose I was on the WDW site and started plugging in our trip's vital stats and found it was actually cheaper for us to stay at GF than AKL. I was stunned to see that. Since those are the only 2 deluxes we have stayed I have to keep my choice restricted to the Poly and AKL.

BluOrchid2
08-25-2003, 07:11 AM
WILDERNESS LODGE, WILDERNESS LODGE! :D

The Christmas decorations at the Lodge are so beautiful, and it's my first choice even when it's not Christmastime. The transportation is easy, restaurants are great, and we really like being INSIDE from the moment you get into the lobby all the way to your room (unlike the Polynesian).

ducklite
08-25-2003, 07:18 AM
While the WL is beautiful at Christmas, I can tell you that the AKL is the ONLY one that made my jaw drop. It was just STUNNING! It is nto a "Curreier and Ives" look, but an exotic and amazing design that can not be paralleled.

For a more traditional look the BW lobby is gorgeous.

Anne

Kimberle
08-25-2003, 08:08 AM
We stayed at CR & loved it!!

Our reasoning, our dd was 2.5 & we were spending most of the time at MK & we wanted to be on a monorail.

My advice it to look at which parks they plan to spend most of their time & stay closer. With a somewhat older child, I'm thinking they would spend alot of time at Epcot/MGM. The Beach club would be perfect because it is the closest.

Where ever they stay, they will have a wonderful vacation!! They will finally be past that "stroller" stage so they can move with much more freedom!!

kdibattista
08-25-2003, 09:58 AM
I would definitely choose AKL. It's our favorite resort and I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. The atmosphere is just amazing... where else could you walk out onto your balcony and see a giraffe grazing just below????

AspiringCindy
08-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by BluOrchid2
WILDERNESS LODGE, WILDERNESS LODGE! :D

The Christmas decorations at the Lodge are so beautiful, and it's my first choice even when it's not Christmastime. The transportation is easy, restaurants are great, and we really like being INSIDE from the moment you get into the lobby all the way to your room (unlike the Polynesian).

I Agree! WL!

MJames41
08-25-2003, 12:31 PM
We are going to be doing the Boardwalk (using points) next year - great decorations and close to Epcot. If not using points, would go with Beach Club. Epcot is amazing at Christmas time (provided they are into Christmas decorations and stories), so we spend most of our time there. Love it.

Definately visit WL and GF and AKL to see their decorations (I'd even include a visit to POR - FQ for the New Orleans decorations), but my choice is to stay in the Boardwalk area.

MAGICinMYHEART
08-25-2003, 12:42 PM
I agree with BlueOrchid2 the WILDERNESS LODGE it's so beautttttttttttiflul.

sardan
08-25-2003, 02:58 PM
Poly hands down.

swilphil
08-25-2003, 09:55 PM
I would go with the Beach Club because it is so close to Epcot, which is a great place any time and for all ages now that they have Kidcot stations and other things geared to kids. There's also somesort of princess character meal at Epcot, too.

And don't forget MGM and the Boardwalk. There are great shows and rides at MGM for an 8 year old. If they really want to be on the monorail, then I would say the Poly would be a good choice.

FloridaCat
08-25-2003, 11:57 PM
I live here and I do not have to stay on site or off site, which I have done both.

We did our homework because of the Florida rates this year and it was hands down for WL. After our July trip DD called and told me to book a weekend in September. I live an hour and she lives 30 minuets if that tells you anything.

We may try AKL on some future trip because my DGD is a future animal keeper/trainer

I agree WL is not for everyone as it is a class hotel and the guests we met Exemplified it as well.

tiggerlover
08-26-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks for your replies. I will be sure to pass this thread on to my friends. Anyone else care to add their two cents?

Nuts4Disney
08-26-2003, 01:14 AM
Since WDW resorts are heavily into theming, I always say to pick the one that appeals most to you [them].

You can see by the replies to this thread that even if folks can't agree on which resort to pick, they all agree that they love their resort pick, so I don't think they could wrong regardless of which they choose.

Good luck & happy vacation to your friends! :)

GladysK
08-26-2003, 07:44 AM
We actually toured all the Deluxe Resorts during our two trips at Christmas and I have to agree that WL IS CHRISTMASLAND!!!:p

Every year there is a spectacular tree in the lobby,the roaring fire, the rockers, the log cabin ambiance...and the largest gingerbread village at WDW-complete with train and "Chocolate" Mooses.

ktglads
08-26-2003, 09:08 AM
It really all depends on what parks they are planning on spending the most of the time at. If it is MK, I would go with Poly. For Epcot and MGM, definitely the BC. If it is a toss up over which parks, I would go with AKL, where you can get away from the theme parks and feel like you are on 2 different vacations at once - one to Disney World and the other to a savannah! Plus, they can always visit the other resorts to see the decorations if time permits them to do so.

PamNC
08-26-2003, 09:32 AM
on the family and what parks they spend the most time in, what theming they enjoy, etc.

We are loyal YC/BC fans! Love the Boardwalk area with all the shopping and dining options. And, not to mention the best pool in the universe, Stormalong Bay. We don't have kids and find this to be a perfect spot for us. It's a short walk or boat trip to MGM and Epcot. We wouldn't stay anywhere else.

PamNC

my3boys
08-26-2003, 10:00 AM
WL at Christmas is spectacular and oh-so-cozy. We have been there 3 times at December. December can be pretty chilly and to have the chance to sip hot chocolate in front of the lobby fireplace or one of several hidden nooks within the lodge can't be forgotten. Consider looking at the photos at www.wdwig.com or www.ourlaughingplace.com to see some great shots; some cover the Christmas decorations, too.

With all that said, whatever you decide make sure and explore the other resorts with a quick visit or dinner reservations. No trip is complete for us without dinner at Bomas. AKL is equally wonderful and jaw-dropping. They also offer a bonfire in the evening with story-telling.

We think resort exploring is just as magical as visiting the parks. And if things aren't too hectic and curiosity overcomes you, you can ask to see a room for future trips.

Have a wonderful trip. Are you considering Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party?

ead79
08-26-2003, 10:31 AM
Oooh, that's a tough decision--but a fun one. ;) I have stayed at all the deluxes except the Contemporary, and I honestly enjoyed each one. They each have their advantages and their drawbacks and their own unique theming.

That being said, my favorites are the GF and the AKL, particularly in December when all the decorations are up. Here are my reasons:

GF--I truly felt pampered during my stay here. The resort is so elegant and feminine (but not too stuffy), which I really like. The standard rooms come with things that you must stay in concierge to get at the other deluxe resorts like robes in the rooms, upgraded toiletries, etc. The convenience of the monorail is terrific for going to the MK and Epcot (my 2 favorite parks). The Christmas tree in the lobby is gorgeous, and I love the orchestra that plays in the evenings. The staff always says, "Have a Grand Day," and I really did when I was there.

AKL--This resort has the most impressive theming of any Disney resort, IMHO. I am not really an animal person, but even I found it absolutely incredible to see animals right outside my balcony--truly awesome! This resort's lobby is so unique and interesting, and I love the wonderful aromas that drift up from the restaurants on the floor below the lobby. The AKL also has a really impressive tree for Christmas. I love eating at Boma also. The only drawback to this resort is its somewhat remote location, so I like splitting my stay here with another more centrally located resort. The bus service here is very prompt though. :)

PamsFam
08-26-2003, 11:33 AM
Location, Location, Location!
You can't beat the Boardwalk! Our Family has stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Swan, Beach Club Villas, and Port Orlean's Riverside and when I asked them where they want to stay in November it was unanimous the Boardwalk. You can't beat the short walk to Epcot and MGM. If you are going to Epcot for Illuminations, it is great to just slip out the back gate and walk home w/out dealing with the crowds. Or how about going into EPCOT for a nice dinner? It has also been our experience that the overall transportation system works most efficiently to and from Boardwalk. We have experienced long waits using transportation to/from Wilderness Lodge.
I will admit that the Holiday Decs around Wilderness are wonderful. What ever the choice, ENJOY!