PDA

View Full Version : Eurostar vs EasyJet -- opinions wanted

DocRafiki
08-23-2003, 09:20 PM
I've gotten a price of $90 for Eurostar and 30 euro for EasyJet.

With that price difference and the THREE hours it takes to ride the train, why do you prefer Eurostar?

Someone on the Eurostar thread (richard3330, I think) said Eurostar is the easiest way to get from DLP to London. Could you tell me why? Are the connections to the airport too much? I would greatly appreciate any opinions.

rob@rar.org.uk
08-24-2003, 05:47 AM
No contest - Eurostar would be my choice every time!

When you take account of airport check-in time, waiting for your luggage to arrive after the flight, getting from the airport to DLP and all the other messing around that you have to do at airports I've found that going by Eurostar is actually quicker. The Eurostar train station is literally at the gates of the park, and with one exception is actually closer that Disney's on-site hotels! Compared to Easyjet, Eurostar is also a much more reliable service so you will be less likely to suffer any delays.

Of course all of this depends on where you start your journey. I'm only 45 minutes from Waterloo Station (where the Eurostar departs), so I don't have a long journey before I board the Eurostar. If I lived elsewhere flying from a regional airport to Paris might be a better option. But for people who live in the South East of England, especially those who are in London, I think there's absolutely no better way to get to DLP than by train.

Regards

Rob

DocRafiki
08-24-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks so much, Rob! I wonder-- in the US, we are supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours before flights. Is it about the same in England for flights? What about for the train? I haven't looked on a map to see the airport/train station locations in relation to my hotels. But, I'm hoping to stay on Disney property, so it sounds like Eurostar will be easier on the Paris end at least. And maybe I will get to sleep later that way. My plane would be leaving before 9:00 a.m. :(

alexandra uk
08-25-2003, 03:07 AM
Does anyone have any tips on getting into the eurostar site ?
I'm having no joy with it at all :(

rob@rar.org.uk
08-25-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by DocRafiki
Thanks so much, Rob! I wonder-- in the US, we are supposed to arrive at the airport 2 hours before flights. Is it about the same in England for flights? What about for the train? I haven't looked on a map to see the airport/train station locations in relation to my hotels. But, I'm hoping to stay on Disney property, so it sounds like Eurostar will be easier on the Paris end at least. And maybe I will get to sleep later that way. My plane would be leaving before 9:00 a.m. :(

Easyjet check-in desks open 2 hours before the time of departure. Some airlines recommend a slightly longer check-in time, but this always seems excessive to me.

The Eurostar departs London from Waterloo International, which is very easy to get to from most London locations. There is only one direct service per day, departing London at approximately 9.30am. Check-in time is 30-40 minutes before departure. It arrives at Marne La Vallee station (the correct name for the DLP station) three hours later. The station is 2 minutes walk from the gates to the Disney parks. If you are staying on-site you can walk to the Disney hotels in 10-15 minutes from the station. If you prefer not to carry your luggage this distance Disney's free hotel shuttle buses stop immediately outside the entrance to the train station. It couldn't be easier!

Alex, I've just accessed the www.eurostar.com site without any problems.

Regards

Rob

alexandra uk
08-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Thanks Rob, but the problem is that I can access the site, but I can't get any further than that first page.
It says select your language and country of residence which I do, but nothing happens, and there is nothing else to click on other than the privacy policy etc.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

DocRafiki
08-25-2003, 10:58 PM
That DOES sound easy. I will be going one-way DLP to London. Did you see on the site that they will be cutting the travel time down by 30 minutes? Unfortunately, that will be after my visit.

I didn't have problems with the site either. :confused:

rob@rar.org.uk
08-26-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by alexandra uk
Thanks Rob, but the problem is that I can access the site, but I can't get any further than that first page.
It says select your language and country of residence which I do, but nothing happens, and there is nothing else to click on other than the privacy policy etc.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm no expert, but it sounds like you might not have cookies enabled on your web browser. Check the settings to see if this is the case. The Eurostar website will want to leave cookies on your PC so that next time you visit it knows what country you are based in and what language you prefer.

Regards

Rob

DocRafiki
08-26-2003, 10:25 PM
I just realized that the Eurostar only leaves DLP once a day, and not at a good time for me. (I want to stay in the parks until close and leave in the a.m. the next day). Would the way around that be to take the RER to Paris to catch the Eurostar? Isn't the RER station w/in walking distance to the park, as well? Or is there a shuttle connection to that, too? This is getting more and more confusing.

DocRafiki
08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
I see that my question was partially answered on the other Eurostar thread.

rob@rar.org.uk
08-27-2003, 03:44 AM
Jen, the RER and the Eurostar use the same train station at DLP. All the Disney hotels run free shuttles to the parks - the buses stop outside the train station, so it's easy to get there.

As you say, the direct Eurostar service to London only runs once per day (there's not enough demand to run more than one service). It leaves London at 9.30am, arriving at DLP at 1.30pm, and departs DLP at approximately 7.30pm, arriving at 9.30pm (all times are local).

Regards

Rob