PDA

View Full Version : Need Grand Floridian/Wilderness Lodge expert information

MJames41
08-22-2003, 01:37 PM
My son has requested for the trip that covers his 18th birthday (2004) for us to go to the Grand Floridian. It will be, at a minimum, him and I, my sister and her daughter. We might also end up with her son and his family (single dad with 2 kids) so we would need 2 rooms and split the cost. And, there could be even more. So, my question is, is the Grand Floridian worth the extra cost from staying at the Wilderness Lodge? Either way we will visit the one we don't stay at (for the Christmas decorations). I'm kinda thinking that if we can keep the cost per group to $200 or less it would be worth it, but over $200 it's starts going the other way. Other opinions please?

disney queen
08-22-2003, 03:10 PM
we have stayed at both and prefer the lodge over the gf. it is just an entirely different feeling--very laid back and homey. at either resort, you could request joining rooms since you will need 2. at christmas both resorts are beautiful. one thing to keep in mind is the lodge is "self contained" while at gf you will have to go to another building to get to your room. we like the idea of once you are in the resort you do not have to leave to go to your room. december weather can be very unpredicatable. wonderful one minute, cold and rainy the next. been there, done that!! artist point at the lodge is very good. and whispering canyon cafe serves a great breakfast. we are not too fond of the other meals served there. as you can probably tell, i would go w/the lodge. have you considered a split stay? but that might be difficult w/so many people in your party. all that said, if my son had requested a certain resort then that is where we would probably stay. LOL!! happy birthday to your son.:tongue:

Snurk71
08-22-2003, 09:56 PM
I'll just comment on the $$$...

The best rates at the GF in recent years has been about $200/nt before tax (add on the 11% for tax). So far this year it's not looking like the rate will even be the $200/nt. GF already seems pretty booked.

So if $200 is our threshold, you might want to focus on WL.

stacy6552
08-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Why dont you get a villa at the WL for everyone? Then spend the night of your sons birthday at the GF, just you and him.

disney queen
08-23-2003, 04:10 PM
great idea to get the villa at WL!!:p