PDA

View Full Version : Negative exper.with WDTC and good rates found elsewhere

dparksfan
08-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Been a while since I've posted here, so long that I had to re-register, but since I'm in the planning mode I thought I would say something. Was on the phone with CRO or WDTC? this am to cancel some existing reservations...due to the fact that I found a better rate on Expedia for my reservations and on United Airlines vacation website for my friend's reservations. In short, I was able to book room only at a lower rate than Disney's current AAA rates. Well, the cast member was so rude to me, he refused to cancel my reservations stating that the reservations I had were probably not reputable because Disney could match them if they were. So he had me check back with expedia and United vacations to make sure they weren't tacking on UPH and charging me later. He also said my request for a crib could not EVER be guaranteed because there weren't enough cribs. I told him it stated on my disney reservations that the crib was guaranteed and he said, only with us will we guarantee a crib. It felt almost as bad as a previous timeshare experience at a local Orlando timeshare I stayed at, where my arm was being twisted to do what they wanted. In all my years of calling Disney (and being excited about it since it's the beginning of my trip planning), I have never felt like that. I did not get the cast member's name because I was too appalled and flustered by his attitude. After I verified with expedia and United that I DO have room only reservations AND they are not going to tack on other expenses, I called back to WDTC and got a very nice cast member that felt really bad re: my experience and told me it was none of his business why I was cancelling and should have just done it. Sorry this is long, felt I had to vent and also let people know I got room only reservations for Wilderness Lodge by booking 9 nights on expedia (without UPH) and United Vacations let me book 5 nights (without the UPH).

GoodFairies
08-21-2003, 04:53 PM
I agree that the CM did not treat you properly.

However, it sounds like the REAL problem is between Disney and Expedia. I guess they have some sort of contract about selling Disney packages but Expedia (as well as other web travel services) isn't supposed to be able to offer room only rates. I was told by an agent at Expedia that they weren't allowed to offer room only rates without tacking on UPH.

Unfortunately this CM took it out on you.

faithinkarma
08-21-2003, 06:16 PM
I am so sorry this happened to you. It sure can take the glow off your anticipation.

It used to be that calling for your reservation was an exciting thing to do. You got to speak with a cheerful CM and the magic began that day. It used to make me smile for days afterwards.

It seems so different now. I have called 5 times this year for different reservations ( I am the official family reservation maker ), and only once was it the way I remember it being in the past. I guess magic is getting harder to find everywhere.

I should say that the one good experience was VERY good. The CM managed to sound excited about my trip. She took the time to tell me all the events that would be available during our stay.

randyl
08-21-2003, 06:42 PM
After booking our vacation at the Yacht Club through WDTC, it is my opinion that they feel they are sales agents first and then CM's second. When I called to check on availability at the Yacht Club and she said she would check on my dates. She came back to say that they had concierge rooms (waterview I believe) available for around $500 per nite. It led me to believe that concierge was all they had and then I asked about the Beach Club and was quoted a lower rate for a regular room at the Beach Club. I then asked her why their wasn't availability for a standard room at the Yacht Club and she said there is. Obviously she was trying to get the most expensive rooms booked first and sounded dismayed at why I wanted a standard room rather than concierge. I think I really threw her when I asked for AAA rates!!! (Which I got - $274/night includes tax at the YC).

mbaker1277
08-21-2003, 06:42 PM
I am a travel agent and I deal with the WDTC on a daily basis, and a lot of the agents have become increasingly rude, or have no knowledge of special packages or dining events. I spoke with an agent who was very rude to me about making a reservation for myself, and she insisted that the resort I was interested in was not available for my stay, that only the more expensive deluxe resorts were available. I just hung up and called back and got another agent who was more than happy to help me, and got me the resort I wanted with no problem. Also an agent I spoke with yesterday had no knowledge about the Winter Dreamaker Package that was being offered. It gets very frustrating when you have a hard time being an advocate for your clients when you know more than the agents at the WDTC do.

susy
08-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Okay, this is weird. I had the same experience as randyl.

When I called to book a room for my MIL at WL, the CM said,"I have a courtyard view available for $$". Then I asked, "You don't have any standard rooms?" then she said, "Yes, they are $$".

randyl
08-21-2003, 07:35 PM
I think the face of Disney is changing - the resorts anyway. WDTC will probably consist more of sales agents rather than CM's - who knows, maybe they have bonus incentives or make commission on the packages and rooms. It used to be that Disney could sell itself - and I think it still can - but maybe their philosophy as a resort is changing. I don't believe that AP's will ever be available far into the future again and will probably be used only to fill leftover rooms. It looks like they want to rely on packages now. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. For instance, they love including UPH's. And when you think about it, the more we use our AP's, the "$ per park visit goes down" (i.e. AP @ $400 divided by 10 days is $40 per day and that can go even lower the more we visit). Disney is a business and the intent of that business is to make $$$. And being a business owner, I agree with them 100%. Disney has one financial responsibility only and that is to their shareholders and no one else. It looks like that is the philosophy the resorts are taking now too.

dparksfan
08-21-2003, 07:41 PM
thanks for all of the responses. I guess it's hard to realize that you never know if your cast member will be nice or not when you call. My experience made me want to try elsewhere before I try Disney from now on. Just sent a nice email response to Expedia for their customer service, they were interested in how my customer service experience was with them. Let them know that Disney was involved and not as helpful as they were.