PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve in London

Mazzy
07-27-2003, 01:52 PM
We're thinking of spending New Years Eve in London and wonder if anyone has done this?

I have just booked Travel Inn at County Hall as a starting point.

As the Travel Inn is by the river, I'm just wondering if we will see any fireworks etc?

Thanks for any tips on this. :D

WDWfan,uk
07-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Last year, they made a point of not doing anything in London for some reason - I seem to remember that people were asked not to come to Trafalgar Square etc as there would be nothing special laid on. I think people organised their own events?
Yet regionally and of course up in Edinburgh they really partied.

Anyway, I think people still congregated in Trafalgar Square and I do hope that this year there will be something laid on for everyone to enjoy. Maybe some Londoners could tell us if they know of anything for this year?

Fantasia Sam
07-28-2003, 04:07 AM
Yeah miserable Ken Livingstone decided that nothing would happen in Trafalgar Square but I think that was because of all the building works they had there whilst they were making the Square more pedestrianised. To be honest I wouldn't go anywhere near TSquare on NYE far too scary for me I'm just not a good crowd person I've tried this once and I felt so claustrophobic and worried too much about what would happen if someone had an accident.

I used to go and watch fireworks on Albert Bridge (the one that has the pretty lights on which was shown in the film Sliding Doors) These fireworks were set off from Battersea Park but it really depends on the borough if they set them off again this year.

Staying at the County Hall is a great location though for whatever you decide to do Mazzy didn't you stay at the Marriott here for your birthday or is that my imagination ?

kazzie
07-28-2003, 05:18 AM
I last went to Trafalgar Square in 1980 with some girlfriends.After being assaulted a couple of times,on one occasion a man just put his hand up my skirt:mad: I knew if I got out of there safely I would never do that again,at least not with girls on their own.

I'm sure I've read somewhere there will be some stuff on in London this year?

Mazzy
07-28-2003, 06:23 AM
Thanks for your replies. :D

Yes Sam, I did stay at the County Hall Marriott for my birthday last September, you weren't dreaming! ;)

I wouldn't dream of going anywhere near Trafalgar Square because of the large crowds. I am thinking of booking tickets for The Lion King on New Years Eve as we did enjoy the show so much last year and would love to see it again. I just wondered if there would be any fireworks around the Thames area where the County Hall is, so we could just watch them from the riverbank.

Anyone know?

Mazzy
07-28-2003, 10:11 AM
Just to update - I have just booked ticket for the Lion King on New Years Eve! :bounce:

We loved the show when we saw it last year and can't wait to see it again! I have also found a Holiday Inn (Kings Cross/Bloomsbury) at 90 a night including breakfast so a better deal than the Travel Inn.

I've also noticed there's a London Parade on New Years Day, what are the chances of getting a viewing spot for that? Does anyone know if we would we have to get up REALLY early?

Just have to book Bunny into the Bunny Hotel then it's all sorted for now. :D

kazzie
07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Mazzy,

That sounds great:p

I went to the New Ywears parade a few years ago,it was rreally,really good.I bought tickets to sit in the stands.If you're interested in seating I'm not sure who organizes the event though:o

TracyK
07-29-2003, 04:33 AM
Mazzy,
I went to London to celebrate New year's Eve 2001. We had tickets for Phantom which was great. We'd seen it before but it was definitely a better atmosphere. The cast all sang Auld Lang Syne at the end. We then went into Trafalgar Square to see the fireworks which in my view weren't that impressive. There were displays going on down on the South Bank also. Have a great trip. I'm celebrating New Year's Eve in Times Square this year.
Tracy

Mazzy
07-29-2003, 10:31 AM
Lucky you Tracy! That will be fabulous! :D

The tickets for Lion King arrived this morning, such fast service! We have brilliant seats, just four rows from the stage near the aisle so we will have a great view of the stage and also be able to shake hands with the 'animals' when they pass by! :D