PDA

View Full Version : ? re kids meals

magicplace4me
07-25-2003, 10:02 PM
My 9 yr old DS has adult taste in food but still has a kid size stomach. Looking at kids menus I know he wont be pleased with many. Obviously at buffets and most counter service it isn't an issue but at sit down resturants do they ever adjust adult meals for kids? My only other option is I order an adult meal he likes too and he gets a kid meal then we share (it wouldn't be the first time we've done it but its not my preference, he makes out far better than I!!).

Any advise is appreciated!

tci1212
07-25-2003, 10:25 PM
My boys stopped ordering off the childrens menus at ages 6 and 7! I wish they had small appetites. I have actually had my kids order off the childrens menu for lunch and I ate that and they ate my meal. I love the pb and j sandwiches!

MHopkins2
07-25-2003, 10:42 PM
Many restaurants will make a "kids size" version of an adult entree for a reduced (although still not kids menu) price. Another great option is ordering from the adults Appetizer menu. Congrats on having a kid who likes more than chicken nuggets and hot dogs!!! :)

Side note - if Restaurant Marrakesh is appealing to you, their kids meal includes dishes similar to the adult menu vs. the standard fare.

ducklite
07-26-2003, 05:38 AM
We had the same problem when DS was that age. Now at 17 he prefers sushi for an appetizer and a cheeseburger for an entree :rolleyes:

At any rate, yes, most of the restaurants will make a half portion of an entree from the adult menu for half the price or somethimes a couple dollars more thn half the price. Just ask the server. If they tell you no, then ask for a manager, sometimes they just don't know.

Of course you also have to be realistic about what your asking for a half portion of. :)

My DS was able to get half or childs portions at Palio, Yachtsman, The Fireworks factory (now closed), and a couple otehr places that I just can't think of right now.

Also look at restaurants like Le Cellier where they do have some more "adult type" items on the childrens menu (like steak).

Anne

mamamia
07-26-2003, 06:49 AM
I will be bringing my DD's friend (12 years old) on our next trip and I'm dreading meal times with her. She's so picky and eats very little, there's no way she could eat an adult meal. I think Disney restaurants try to be accommodating. I plan on showing her the menus for some of the restaurants we are going to go to and then if she still doesn't find anything, I will talk to them when I check in at the podium to see what they can do for her. I'm not sure she'll find anything for lunch at the Crystal Palace - she doesn't eat meat, there is so many things she won't eat.
Good luck.

magicplace4me
07-26-2003, 09:36 AM
Thanks everyone! I'll give it a try asking for smaller size and priced meals at the sit down resturants.

The funny thing is my 6 yr old DS is just the opposite and looks for the the chicken nugget and hot dog meals - he eats alot of cereal at home!

eeyore0062
07-26-2003, 03:40 PM
If your child likes steak, Le Cellier offers a child sized steak on their kids menu. Otherwise, just ask, they will adjust the size of the portion accordingly. This is what we are going to have to do with my grandmother of 92 years comes to visit in October. She always complains that there is so much food on her plate it takes away her appetite. It is something to consider with guests of all ages who don't have especially large appetites, and not only will it save you money, but it avoids the waste of a less than half eaten meal. Also, if you have an older child or adult who just doens't eat that much, avoid the buffets and the family style meals, as you will not get your money's worth.

ceecee
07-26-2003, 04:09 PM
My 7 yr old DD gets tried of nuggets and fries as well, but is not yet ready for a full meal. We plan on sharing as I am not a big eater either.

BarbaraMB
07-26-2003, 05:23 PM
My DD 12, ordered off of the kid's menu 99% of the time, including breakfast. She doesn't like the adult menus and is happy with cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets and mac and cheese.