PDA

View Full Version : English Terminology

MichaelH
07-25-2003, 07:48 PM
My wife and I are HUGE fans of Keeping Up Appearances. I have a question about a phrase from one of the shows. In the show, the gatekeeper of the lock tells Hyacinth that she could try "going over the ware (sp?)". I was wondering what this term means.

Cheers!

Dimplenose
07-26-2003, 01:14 AM
I assume you mean a lock in the river sense. In which case it's weir - a very small waterfall (like a step in the water) hence the need for the lock to get the boats safely from one level to the other.

Libby

MichaelH
07-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I knew that it had something to do with the river, but I had never heard that term before.

Cheers!

Goofyish
07-26-2003, 11:54 AM
Here's a photo of a famous weir in Bath, England:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/photography/europe75/bath-weir.html

Olaf
07-26-2003, 12:45 PM
Hey Michael, my husband loves "My Hero" and "Coupling." I like "The Office." Why can't America produce sitcoms like that?

rob@rar.org.uk
07-26-2003, 04:14 PM
Oh, I don't think your broadcasters do too bad Steph. Friends, Fraser, Cheers, Taxi to name but a few. You even do the wonderfully quirky shows such as two of my favourites: Chicago Hope (featuring the incredibly talented Mandy patinkin) and Due South (before David Marciano left the show).

Regards

Rob

MichaelH
07-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Olaf,

BBC America recently started showing My Hero. The couple of times I have seen it I have liked it. I love Father Ted, which is another show the main character played in. Coupling is also another favorite. I also like Red Dwarf, that show is great.

MichaelH
07-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Goofyish,

Thanks, for the picture. I have seen that weir in person believe it or not. My wife and I went to London in May of 2000 and took some day trips on Saturday and Sunday to Bath and Salisbury/Stonehenge with the London Walks group.

We spent our trip mostly in London. Our tube stop was Bayswater and we stayed at the Days Inn. It was a nice place if you are planning a trip. I also recommend doing tours with London Walks. They have great tours with excellant guides. I loved England and hope to come back in a couple of years. I am interested in WWII and did not get to see Bletchley Park. I was very disapointed. Back then they were only open every other weekend and the weekend we were there they were closed.

Goofyish
07-27-2003, 09:08 AM
I recently went to a seminar held in the old mansion house at Bletchley Park. It's a very interesting place. I didn't have much chance to look round, but did go into the building where they are rebuilding the computer used to break the German secret codes during WWII :)

Hope you get the chance to go sometime Micheal - remember to look out for the concrete cows in Milton Keynes :)

Banzai
07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
NBC is doing a version of Couplings...

Kilted_Yank
07-29-2003, 07:42 AM
BBC America has just begun showing a series called "Red Cap" I dunno if had the same title in the UK, but it is about a special military police unit with the British Forces in Germany.

Quite good.

I am still hooked on Monarch of The Glen, and Prime Minister's Questions (on C-Span)though... and my wife is mad about Changing Rooms and "What Not To Wear"

Fortunately, I watch enough British Programming to not be terribly lost with the different terminology.