PDA

View Full Version : Need help to settle a dispute.

Tartan Tigger
07-25-2003, 04:48 PM
Having a huge debate at work and need help to settle it.

In the red corner is myself and a colleague and in the blue corner is another colleague and my boss. The debate is about Welsh Rarebit:rolleyes: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

One corner says it is made with bread and cheese, the other corner says it's scrambled egg with cheese in it.

Could you please all tell me how you make it. I will tell you what each is corner is fighting for when I read your replies.:D Wouldn't want any bias replies but please prove me right. I hate to be wrong and my reputation is on the line and if my boss is right I won't hear the end of it until I retire.

AlisonB
07-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Well I thought it was a sort of posh name for cheese on toast! Maybe with an extra ingredient or two!

GO2209
07-25-2003, 06:13 PM
It's a glorified cheese 'n toast - bit of mustart and milk thrown in for good measure....

http://www.cuisinedumonde.com/rarebit.html for the recipe. Hope your boss takes the news well, or else your retirement might be closer than you wanted!

WDWfan,uk
07-25-2003, 06:15 PM
...... I think Delia may be to blame for the confusion? She has something called Welsh Rarebit Souffle in her recipe book(s) which includes egg, but I think traditional welsh rarebit is made with cheese, mustard and butter mixed together then toasted on bread and I have an old recipe book which includes ale with that too.

Fantasia Sam
07-26-2003, 12:47 PM
I've always thought it was bread cheese and mustard and a piece of streaky bacon as garnish on the top.

Olaf
07-26-2003, 01:46 PM
Whatever you call it, it sounds good! :p

Sue & Co.
07-26-2003, 01:48 PM
IMHO it is cheese on toast with mustard or worcester sauce as an optional extra!:D

Tartan Tigger
07-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Looks like I'm going to have to retire cause my boss is going to expect a grovelling apology on this, like he is gonna get one:p :p :p We will agree to differ, I am right and everyone else is wrong :teeth: :teeth: Thanks for all the wrong replies.;) :D

WDWfan,uk
07-26-2003, 04:53 PM
LOL TT :teeth: !!!

I'll bet hardly anyone makes Welsh Rarebit now - we simply grill cheese on toast and dot some Worcestershire sauce on it for that extra tang - yum!

floridalol
07-27-2003, 07:18 AM
TT

Welsh Rarebit is cheese on toast with worcestershire sauce -
Buck Rarebit is cheese and egg on toast + sauce.

Best wishes

FloridaLol

UKDEB
07-27-2003, 12:59 PM
I've always understood it to be glorified cheese on toast. Here's what Gary Rhodes has to say in his <i><b>New British Classics</b>

The origin of the name 'rarebit' or 'rabbit' has been disputed for centuries. Some say the former comes from the dish's position in the meal, as a 'rear-bit' (rather as an hors d'oevre was known at one time as a 'fore-bit'); the latter is either a corruption of this, or reflects the patience of the Welsh huntsman's wife when he came home empty-handed from the chase, and she had to prepare cheese instead ...

There are also many different recipes. Toasted cheese recipes appear in cookery books throughout the centuries, and there are English Rabbits, Welsh Rarebits, Buck Rarebits and Scotch Rabbits, all of them subtly different. This is my version, and this recipe is really the minimum amount you can make for a successful mixture. It will keep in the fridge for up to ten days and also freezes well, so can be used in plenty of other dishes. <b>It's also delicious as a simple cheese on toast.</b> When I make it at home, I divide it into two and freeze the other half for use later.

WELSH RAREBIT MIX

350g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
85ml milk
25g plain flour
25g fresh white breadcrumbs
1/2 tbsp English mustard powder
A few shakes Worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper.

Put the Cheddar into a pan and add the milk. Slowly melt them together over a low heat, but do not allow the mix to boil as this will separate the cheese. When the mixture is smooth and just begins to bubble, add the flour, breadcurmbs and mustard and cook for a few minutes, stirring, over a low heat until the mixture comes away from the sides of the pan and begins to form a ball shape. Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper and leave to cool.

When cold, place the mixture into a food processor, turn on the motor and slowly add the egg and egg yolk. (If you don't have a processor or mixer, just beat vigorously with a wooden spoon.) When the eggs are mixed in, chill for a few hours before using. After it has rested in the fridge, you will find the rarebit is very easy to handle and has so many uses.</i>

<b>So, whilst I would have agreed with your boss before reading this, I think there is a valid argument on both sides. The Welsh Rarebit, it seems, is the topping mixture (which includes both bread and eggs as well as cheese) and serving it on toast is just one of many options. Gary Rhodes includes a recipe (his favourite) for Smoked Haddock with Welsh Rarebit, with not a piece of toast to be seen!</b>