PDA

View Full Version : Non-Park Day - Looking for Dinner Suggestions

jonsmom57
07-24-2003, 08:39 PM
We are going to WDW just after Thanksgiving and are planning on a least one "rest" day. We would like to try something new and I am looking for some dinner suggestions. We are staying @ the Poly and will be doing Ohannas earlier in the week. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe Bomas, Trail's End or somewhere @ DTD. Any suggestions would be helpful. I have Luau ressies for this night, but I am a little nervous since most feedback is negative.

Thanks!

BCV23
07-24-2003, 09:12 PM
Since you're staying at the Polynesian, I'd consider trying one of the restaurants on the monorail loop. California Grill at the Contemporary is great. Excellent food and a great view of WDW.

We also enjoy Narcoossee's, Kona Cafe and Citricos for dinner. Have never tried the Concourse Steakhouse for dinner but that's another option. Lots of people like Chef Mickey's at the CR which is a character buffet. It's not our cup of tea but many rave about it. Hoop de Doo is great fun if you've never tried it. For that you'll need to take the boat to FW or a bus. At any rate, you're paying for monorail (or boat) convenience so enjoy it.

Harambe
07-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Do you have kiddies?!?! You can go to 1900 Park Fare at the Grand Floridian. It is a character meal and on the monorail. My family enjoys it more than Chef Mickey's.

If it is just adults, than please visit Kona Cafe right at the Poly. Delicious food and quality service. One of our favorites!

Planogirl
07-25-2003, 12:37 AM
Trail's End would be fun. The food is simple and satisfying and we enjoyed seeing part of the outdoor movie afterwards. There are also hayrides and if you get there early enough, you can visit the barnyard animals if you have kids.

Minniespal
07-25-2003, 06:39 AM
If your a fan of seafood I would suggest Fulton's Crab House at DTD.

jonsmom57
07-25-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks for all of your replies. We do have a son who is 6. We have done the breakfast a couple of times @ Chef Mickeys and we did a brunch for Mothers Day last year.

I had forgotten about the free movie/campfire @ Ft. Wilderness that might be kind of nice since its a little chilly @ nighttime.

AspiringCindy
07-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Why don't you try Whispering Canyon at WL? It is alot of fun! Also, if you haven'y already been there, WL is a beautiful resort to visit. Just a short monorail ride to CR and a 5 minute boat ride to WL!

jonsmom57
07-25-2003, 06:25 PM
We have tried Whispering Canyon. It was wonderful. I agree with you about WL it is beautiful and even more so at Christmas time. Last year we resort-hopped to check out some of the beautiful decorations at the resort.

disneysteve
07-25-2003, 07:20 PM
My list of suggestions would include Boma, Whispering Canyon, 1900 Park Faire. They are all very good and unique in their own way. Whispering Canyon is definitely the loud and rowdy choice. Boma is the more upscale subdued choice. And 1900 Park Faire would fall somewhere inbetween and is also the only 1 of the 3 with characters. I don't think you will go wrong with any of them.

Steve

jonsmom57
07-25-2003, 08:01 PM
I am actually leaning towards Boma a little bit, the menu seems enticing. It has a little of everything. And we would get a chance to tour AKL.

disneysteve
07-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by jonsmom57
I am actually leaning towards Boma a little bit, the menu seems enticing. It has a little of everything. And we would get a chance to tour AKL.

I agree 100%. Just be sure to get there early enough to tour the resort and enjoy the animals before dark. Since you are going in late November, it will get dark pretty early.

Steve

jonsmom57
07-26-2003, 12:01 PM
Good Point. We could maybe have a PS for 5pm and get there sometime around 4pm and look around. Thanks for the advice.

ducklite
07-26-2003, 12:13 PM
The other option if you think your DS can stay awake for it is to eat at Boma LATE. At 10:00pm they bring out the night vision goggles for animal viewing.

Anne

HookedonMagic
07-26-2003, 01:48 PM
You may want to consider one of the restaurants in downtown Celebration, just a quick ten minute drive from The Polynesian Resort. We have a nice selection, including The Market Street Cafe (traditional American), Cafe D'Antonio's (Italian), Columbia (Cuban/Mediterranean), The Towne Tavern(Steak and Seafood), The Plantation Room at The Celebration Hotel and Seito (Japanese). At that time of year the town is nicely decorated and offers nightly "snowings", carriage rides, photos with Santa and even a stand selling roasted chestnuts.;) And we even have a two screen AMC theater for an after dinner activity!

The above suggestions sound great, I just thought I'd throw another idea into the mix! Enjoy your holiday vacation to the World!:cool:

CathyCanada
08-04-2003, 06:09 PM
I second the choices in the town of Celebration! I have been at just about every restaurant there and each one is awesome! The Plantation Room at the Celebration Hotel is my favourite, perfect for a romantic dinner too if you want to give the kids a chance to play in one of the Disney Resort childcare facilities!
CC

disneysteve
08-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Another vote for Celebration - Cafe D'Antonio is one of our favorite restaurants in the Disney area. Great food, great service and reasonable prices, especially at lunchtime.

Steve

kidlit
08-05-2003, 10:12 AM
The AKL also has a storyteller in the evening. It might be kind of cozy to sit around the firepit in November and listen for awhile. Also the animals are very active in the evening and come right up to the people viewing area where the CMs are so happy to talk all about them. Not to mention Boma is quite yummy!

jonsmom57
08-05-2003, 10:30 AM
We have 5:30 pm dinner ressies @ Boma. The park closes @ 5pm, historically. When do they do the fire?

kidlit
08-05-2003, 11:09 AM
We were there the last week in April into early May. At that time the story was scheduled for 6:30 every night. It probably changes based on the season and when the sun sets. I was never there early enough to know when they actually lit the fire.

sters
08-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Artist Point at the WL is one my favorite places!

Texowl2
08-05-2003, 03:09 PM
this is a little offbeat and not upscale at all, but we went to the magic show dinner at Wonder Works. All you can eat pizza, soft drinks, and beer, my wife, 3 kids (10,8,5) and I were rolling in the aisle the whole time and amazed at the magic. Just outstanding.

jonsmom57
08-05-2003, 03:23 PM
I should have mentioned we won't have a car.

Some wonderful suggestions though. SOme I have never heard of. Thank you.

disneysteve
08-06-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by jonsmom57
I should have mentioned we won't have a car.

Some wonderful suggestions though. SOme I have never heard of. Thank you.

My advice - GET A CAR!
I can't imagine doing Disney without one. I would go crazy depending on buses for all my transportation and you wouldn't be able to do anything offsite. There are some limitations to onsite transport. Its very difficult to get from one hotel to another.

Steve

jonsmom57
08-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Sorry....I disagree.

There is so much to do in WDW and we are only there for one week, so I can't imagine doing anything outside the park. We rented a car a couple of years ago and it was a waste.

As far as WDW transportation goes, we are staying in a monorail resort for convenience so transportation won't be a problem.

We have never been disappointed with resort transportation.

disneysteve
08-06-2003, 11:09 AM
Car or no car is a regular debate around here, just like onsite or offsite. There is no right answer but some very strong opinions on each side.

My main problem with onsite transport is how much time you waste getting from place to place, especially places that don't have a direct connection. For example, if you are at the Contemporary at want to go to AKL for dinner at Boma, it can easily take you up to an hour to make that trip. By car, its 10 minutes.

Even when we stay onsite, we always get a car and use it for all of our transportation (except when we use the monorail). Just our personal preference.

Steve

jonsmom57
08-06-2003, 02:11 PM
I agree.

Like Hoop Dee Doo or not to Hoop Dee Doo.

I agree, sometimes making connections can be a horror!

Jonsmom

Texowl2
08-08-2003, 04:29 PM
can't imagine going to WDW without a car particularly with a crowd. Given a taxi far of $60 one way, the ability to get to a grocery store easy and more flexibility getting around, we always get a car. With Orlando being the greatest buyer market in rental cars in the country, if you work on it, you can get some pretty good deals....

jonsmom57
08-08-2003, 04:39 PM
I am not going during a crowded time. Nor am I going with a crowd. Check your rates-car rentals are expensive in Orlando. A towncar will run us about $100 with a 30 minute grocery stop. If you needed other items/sundries, they are available at a fair cost at the souvenier shops. It wouldnt outweight the cost of a rental car or a meal. I am on vacation not sitting n traffic on 192.

sue1013
08-08-2003, 05:57 PM
jonsmom
I'm one of the few on this board that also think a car is a waste. Unless you are planning to go to attractions off property. I can't believe all the complaining I hear about Disney transportation. Maybe because I always go off season but I've never had a problem. Even going resort to resort while it may take longer than driving, I'm on vacation a break from the hectic so its no bother to take a little longer. I think the majority don't take public transportation so are not used to being on someone else's schedule. Believe me public transportation in the NY/NJ area could use some training from Disney.

disneysteve
08-08-2003, 08:57 PM
sue1013 - Despite my earlier comments, I think Disney does an absolutely phenomenal job of moving guests around on property. But when I am on vacation, I don't want to have to wait around for buses and be tied to set routes. I'm also not willing to waste the time it takes to make certain connections (one hotel to another). That's purely my preference and I certainly understand that others feel differently. I love to drive so hopping in my car to move around (or off) property is no bother at all.

jonsmom57 - I can't say that I agree with your comment that the Disney souvenir shops have what you might need at fair prices. They charge more for one can of Coke than the local Publix or Goodings charges for a 6 pack. Prices are equally inflated on virtually everything they sell. I consider the Disney resorts shops to be one step below hotelroom minibars from a value standpoint. That said, it may certainly be true for you that the cost of a rental car isn't justified if you never plan to leave the property. But I can honestly say that in 13 trips staying offsite, I have never once had to sit in traffic on 192. And I only recall one time when we got stuck on I-4 because a local news helicopter crashed on the median of the highway.

Steve