PDA

View Full Version : Air India...

lewisturek
07-21-2003, 03:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I know its not WDW :( , but today I booked a city break for me and a friend to New York. We're going for three nights at the beginning of September staying at the HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA.

We're flying with AIR INDIA :confused: which i've never done before.

Has anyone ever flown with them? are they ok? oh, and also has anyone ever stayed at the Pennsylvania?

Thanks

Lewis

codge90
07-21-2003, 03:35 PM
I flew to Chicago on an Air India 747. It was terrible.

The plane stops at London to refill. Some passengers get off and this allows for some English people to get on at a low price.

There were hundreds of people on the plane. Some of the Indian women had two kids on their laps! The toilets were full from take off to landing with parents doing nappy changes. PEOPLE TOOK TV'S & MICROWAVES ONTO THE PLANE AS HAND LUGGAGE!!!!

The plane was decorated (inside) very similar to an Indian Restaurant. There was a fault with the air conditioning so they had to switch it off for the entire flight. Water was leaking onto peoples heads.

Only a few staff spoke English and non of the other passengers did either! God help us if there was any emergency/panic.

Food was either Veg Curry (nice) or some sort of rice dish. The plane stunk of curry.

However, when they spotted us Brits they gave us 3 tins of beer each (they said they know us English like beer).

When you get off and go to back collection things do not get any better. There was tons of bags, TV's, furniture, going round and round. Took us over an hour to get our stuff.

Don't let this put you off flying with them.

Codge

signtalker
07-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Cant help with the flight or the hotel, But Ive worked in New York in 2001, you will love the place, make sure to do the empire state building and central park!.

Jules

steve_rob
07-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Haven't stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania myself, but know someone who has. Actually I have stayed in the hotel next door before, the Southgate Tower, so I do know this area reasonably well (hey, I might not have worked there, but five trips in seven years comes close!)

Don't expect too much from the hotel, it's not exactly high on quality, but it's clean and has a bed and a shower and that's all you need. You'll find it mainly full either of European tourists or American businessmen who have conferences/meetings at Madison Square Garden (directly opposite) that couldn't get their bosses to pay for something more luxurious!

It's well located for Macy's and the Empire State and as it's on Seventh Avenue, it's directly on the 'Red' subway line, which is very convienient as this goes pretty much the length of Manhattan and connects with every other line. For example, Times Square is only two subway stops away on that line.

In fact, that's the hint I tell EVERYONE who goes to New York - make sure you use the subway - it's the easiest and cheapest way to get around. Don't have any fears about safety - it's as safe, if not safer than the Underground in London and I wouldn't have second thoughts about using that. Just get an unlimited use Metrocard and a decent subway map (one of those fold out street maps of NY has one in them) and you're away.

horsemouth
07-21-2003, 04:46 PM
There were hundreds of people on the plane. Some of the Indian women had two kids on their laps! The toilets were full from take off to landing with parents doing nappy changes. PEOPLE TOOK TV'S & MICROWAVES ONTO THE PLANE AS HAND LUGGAGE!!!!

There was a fault with the air conditioning so they had to switch it off for the entire flight. Water was leaking onto peoples heads.

Only a few staff spoke English and non of the other passengers did either! God help us if there was any emergency/panic.

The plane stunk of curry.

When you get off and go to back collection things do not get any better. There was tons of bags, TV's, furniture, going round and round. Took us over an hour to get our stuff.

Don't let this put you off flying with them.

ROTFL - Man that would put anyone off flying with Air India for life:teeth::teeth:

codge90
07-21-2003, 04:54 PM
We just laughed it off (luckily we were just three blokes in our twenties – I wouldn’t recommend it for families)

It would appear that a lot of the passengers from India were emigrating to America or either staying for a long time. I can’t think of any other reason for so much luggage!

horsemouth
07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
I think the wife would have been stunned if we'd have flew on that flight m8:):)

Made me laugh though - looked like the inside of an indian restaraunt..hehehhehe

Horse

mike230652
07-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Poor old lewisturek!!!!!!

Comes on asking for confirmation about how well he's done to get an Air India flight and a bargain at the Hotel Pennsylvania to find out he's :

A..... Booked to fly out on an Asian version of a Carry On movie and

B..... His hotel is of a standard reserved specifically for salepeople whose boss is trying to tell them something ( LEAVE!! )

All you need now mate is a few chickens flying about on the plane, Kenneth Williams in the pilot's seat ( nearly made a double entendre there ) and and an Asian version of Barbara Windsor giggling and asking if you'd like anything off her trolley and you're set!!

If you survive that ( and the hotel ) let us know what happens when you open your megasize attention grabbing " LOOK I'M A TOURIST " map on the subway..........by the way did you ever see the movie " The Warriors " about the NY subway...?!?

Sorry, I hope you don't think I'm being cruel here but codge90 has written the most hilarious account of an airplane flight I 've ever read and I just wanted to go with the surreal atmosphere.

Have a great time.....Me? I'm off to wipe the tears off my face !!

mike230652

lewisturek
07-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys!

Filled me with confidence!!!

mike 230652, you're a *** b-word *** , but i'm laughing anyway!!!

actually to be honest, you guys have told me the blunt truth that no travel agent would! (somehow, i think i might take my own sandwiches on the plane!)

Cheers anyway,

Lewis

PS, if the food's that bad, i'm sure i can borrow one of the other passengers frying pans and the use of his oven!!!!

mike230652
07-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Lewis

glad you took my comments in the spirit they were intended!

Look at it this way....you'll have a flight to remember, AND we're all DEFINITELY looking forward to your trip report !!

mike230652

GO2209
07-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Never flown Air India, but know a handful of people who have - they said it was cheap, but would rather swim to the USA!

I think I stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania in 1995. In terms of accommodation it was okay. Comfortable enough. Great location. Had an Irish bar - erm, Eamon Durans or something like that - which was great fun (Irish Derby when I was there - I won the Sweepstake - $150, unfortunately the round of drinks cost me $160!).

I recommend the helicoptor tour - a bit pricey, but worth every cent.

jjcollins
07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
think i might take my own sandwiches on the plane

Hmmm an idea Lewis -- takes loads and you could sell them on the plane ;) some people might be glad of them psml

jj..... :p

profdsny
07-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Oh, and don't breathe the air.
Reminds me of the joke about the guy who goes to his barber and tells him he's going to Rome. He tells the barber he's flying "Trans Italy International" airlines. The barber clips away and says that they fly left over transport planes form World War II, with flight attendants to match. He then tells the barber he's staying at the Al Roma Hotel. Barber says that's the worse place in Rome, run by gangsters, and filled with hookers. Barber continues to cut the guys hair as he tells him that he has a private audience with the pope. "Private audience? You and five hundred people. He won't even know you're there".
So, the guy pays the barber then goes on the trip. Three weeks later he comes back. Barber asks how the flight was. "Best plane I've ever been on. Entire thing is 1st class. Made 1st class inother planes look like stearage. Plane was two weeks old. And the food and wine was the best. And each row had its own flight attendant." Barber asked about the hotel. "Deluxe. A four room suite for the two of us, with our own butler and chef. Wonderful." "Oh yeah?' says the barber. "How was the papal audience?"
The guy says, "we walked in, and were greated by the pope personally. He gave the two of us a private tour, then took us up to his suite for lunch. We talked for hours. Then , when it was time to leave, we knelt down for a blessing. The pope put his hand on my head and said' "My son. Where did you get such a terrible haircut?"

kazzie
07-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Joe,

Excellent..........LOL:bounce: :Pinkbounc

WDWfan,uk
07-23-2003, 06:35 PM
Way to go Joe :teeth:

;)

Janice
07-24-2003, 06:05 AM
ROFLOL! :D

Nice one Joe!

neilybealy
07-24-2003, 06:07 AM
:p

Mazzy
07-24-2003, 11:07 AM
ROFLMAO - this is too funny! :D

TracyK
07-24-2003, 11:25 AM
This is the funniest thread I have ever read. Good luck Lewis:teeth:
Tracy

steve_rob
07-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Just re-read my post and I hope I didn't put you off - I might have been a bit harsh on the Hotel Pennsylvania. It's not THAT bad!!!

Believe me, I could tell you which hotels to AVOID in New York and this isn't one of them. It's just fairly basic.

Don't let me put you off - New York is a wonderful city and you'll love it!

WebmasterPenny
07-28-2003, 05:45 PM
I stayed at the Hotel Penn a couple of years ago - it's fine!

A little odd in that the reception area is very grand and full of mirrors and marble - typical NY, then you go upstairs to the rooms and they are pretty much typical of any old NY hotel too - just about big enough to swing a cat in, hehehe.

As I recall, the room was all pretty basic, and odd as this may sound to mention it, the windows were filthy! But it did it's job which was give me somewhere decent to sleep and it's location is fantastic. A few minutes walk to Times Square, 5th Avenue, Empire State, Macy's is next door, the Subway is underneath, Central Park, Grand Central Station and the original FAO Swartz is a bit further, but still in walking distance. Really we did most everything on foot from there, only doing Downtown and Statton Island Ferry on the Subway.

Hellie
07-30-2003, 08:55 AM
After wiping the tears of laughter away from my face I have been able to reply to this thread, this has to be the best thread ever posted, I even got people in the office to read it I was laughing out loud so much.

Anyway, I stayed at the Hotel Penn last year, and as others have said it is not the grandest of hotels but I did find it ok, the rooms were clean and basic, and the bathroom had a shower, and that's all you need on a weekend break. The yellow pages did come in handy as the window blind would not stay down so we weighed it down with the phone book, and it was fine.

Have a good trip, can't wait for the trip report.

Helen