PDA

View Full Version : Memory Book

JudithM
07-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Have you ever done a scrapbook of memories about someone who is no longer with us? I just completed my second sb memory book.

The first one was my very first scrapbook, & the person & his family were Disneyholics. I knew these folks & have been to WDW with them, so it was easy to do.

This second book was about a colleague's sister I had only met a couple of times. I gathered some stories from some siblings & other family members & friends. We attended a family picnic gathering of this family last weekend. I quietly presented the book to the sister's husband & two sons (in their early thirties). Early on I questioned spending money on a good scrapbook & accessories for someone I hardly knew, but when I saw their faces, it made the whole scrapbook sssoooo worth while. They were very touched by not only what they saw inside, but by my time & effort to put this together.

I used an 8.5" x 11" album mostly full of stories & a few photos. If you ever think about doing something like this for someone, please don't hesitate. Both memory albums were greatly appreciated.

JulianneP
07-16-2003, 02:22 PM
My grandmother passed away in September and instead of one of those vistor sign in books at the viewing I used a 12x12 CM book with a few lined pages. For each lined page I put pictures on the opposite side, of her life, my mom, her 4 grandkids and 11 great-grandkids. It became a nice "ice breaker" (for lack of a better word) as people entered the viewing. After I put a copy of the eurlogy, prayers, cards and notes people wrote us. It brought a lot of comfort to people and in return my mom has a somthing to look at when her greiving becomes difficult. I did however work all night long on it but I wasn't able to sleep and it really brought closer to me. It was a true labor of love for my grandmothers memory.

crazyforpooh
07-16-2003, 09:15 PM
Wow - Those all sound wonderful.

I am doing to special albums for my sisters this christmas. My DM gave us all some photos of when we were little and I am going to take the pictures I received and make a childhood memory book from the big sister's perspective in a loving and fun way.

Laura
A scrapaholic

JudithM
07-16-2003, 09:31 PM
Julianne, what a nice idea during a sad time for your family. I bet it is bittersweet to go through it now. And what a nice keepsake for the grandchildren & great-grandchildren to know that grandparent.

The grandchildren was part of waht motivated me for both books. One of my grandmothers passed away when I was six years old. My grandfather always said I would be the only grandchild to remember her. The other grandchildren were toddlers & babies.

Laura, how nice to do these books for your sisters now while you all can share, discuss & laugh over the memories.