PDA

View Full Version : these stupid eyelets!

llggood
07-15-2003, 09:01 PM
Okay I scrapbook alot and I decided to branch onto the "eyelit" trend. I have eyelets, the anywhere hole punch, the little hammer and the eyelet setter. I tried it tonight and it did not work. The anywhere hole punch did not punch a very big hole and when I put the eyelet setter on and tapped it, it sure did not set! Can anyone help me? Thank you!

PamCo88
07-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Don't feel bad! most people, me included, could not get these to work te first time around. You said you couldn't get them to set with a tap. I have to hammer to get mine to set. Practice on some paper you don't care about to figure out the correct pressure to hammer at. I have to wack my setter a couple of times to set eyelets.

Give it another try.

ToDisney
07-16-2003, 04:44 AM
I LOVE eyelets!! Trying banging it instead of just tapping... and make sure you've got it on a hard surface. (I know there are several tables at my LSS where we can't set eyelets cuz the tables give.) I agree... practice on scraps first.

bananiem
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
I think some brands are easier to "squish" and don't take as much hammering. I have had good luck with the ones from Making Memories. I also pound it down with the setter on a hard surface and then give it a few gentle taps without the setter to get it to lay flat.

MerryPoppins
07-17-2003, 01:13 AM
I always hammer mine on the front porch. The cement doesn't give and the family complains less about the pounding.

BevS97
07-17-2003, 05:28 AM
the table definitely makes a difference - I was at a crop recently where the tables where too bouncy so everyone was pounding on the floor.
I can set them at home on my computer desk, but not my scrapbooking desk - I could pound all night but nothing would happen on my scrapping table, it's just not sturdy enough

OurDogCisco
07-17-2003, 10:44 AM
And, if all else fails, try brads....but I'd have to agree with the above posters. It takes a lot of practice, etc... Also, it depends on the eyelet too. I use one brand from my LSS because they set better. I tried one from another place it was awful. My LSS said that some metals are softer than others making some easier to set.

Good Luck!