PDA

View Full Version : Wilton Cake Decorating Class

kayeandjim00
07-13-2003, 05:45 PM
I noticed that Michael's offers a Wilton Cake Decorating class and would love to give it a try. Has anyone taken it or any of the Wilton classes and can offer input on what you thought? They mentioned it was $25.00 plus you have to purchase supplies, is there a lot of things you have to purchase? Thanks for your help!

Harley Chick
07-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Years ago my mom and sister took this class together. They had to buy a basic cake decorating kit (some pastry bags, a few tips and couplers, a pastry knife, etc.) and they brought their own cake and frosting. They had a lot of fun and did pretty good at it. Don't know if Michael's class is the same, but they thought it was great. Have fun!

d.kurz
07-13-2003, 08:35 PM
It's definitely worth it. You will need the supplies, anyhow. You can learn enough in that basic class to decorate a cake really nicely. When I took it, they even taught you how to make a rose. And once you learn that, all it takes is practice. It's fun, too. I took that class 15 years ago and still use the skills AND the supplies!!

mrsstats
07-13-2003, 10:04 PM
I took one in adult ed a number of years ago. It was fun. Go for it and enjoy.

kayeandjim00
07-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I remember my mom making these elaborate cakes for my brother and I when we were younger and I know she went to Wilton Classes so I thought that may be a good place to start to learn. It looks like a lot of fun.. I'll let you know how it goes! :bounce:

Mamu
07-14-2003, 06:53 AM
I also took the class up in adult ed many years ago.

When my children got married I made their wedding cakes.

soccerchick
07-14-2003, 07:33 AM
I have taken all three Wilton cake decorating classes through Michaels. The first class will require that you spend the most money...I think I spent about $50 on supplies in addition to the class fees. They usually run specials for the classes. I took class I and III for $12.50 each (half price). It think our Michaels has new classes starting next week (July 21). You do have to buy a kit that they sell for each class, but you can use their 40% off coupons to do so (which I did). For the first class, you make a cake each week and take to class to practice on. DH and DD loved that. In the second class you learn to make all types of flowers, basket weave, use color flow and (I think) only make one cake at the end. The final cake for that class has been my favorite. I make a version of it quite often. In the third class you learn to use fondant (very easy) do some rope work, and put together a tiered cake. You do have to make one small cake for the fondant lesson too.

Other posters are right, you learn some wonderful techniques and can make beautiful cakes. I have made several special occassion cakes for friends (baby and wedding showers, graduations, birthday bashes). Several friends have suggested charging for my cakes, but I think that would take the fun out of it.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! If you have any other questions about the classes, I'd be happy to try to answer them. Also check out Wilton's website; they may have additional information about the classes.

Favorite Auntie
07-15-2003, 10:45 AM
I took the 1st and 2nd Wilton classes offered by Wilton, it was fun. The only thing is now everyone expects me to make the cakes for every occasion! I am supposed to make a Spiderman cake for my nephew's 5th birthday this weekend.....I jsut ordered it at the bakery this morning! I don't have the time anymore to do it....

sha_lyn
07-18-2003, 08:52 AM
I've meant to get around to this for yrs.but didn't have anywhere near by. I ended up buying the wilton booklets and have self taught myself everything except fondant tech. and flowers. I really want to learn both of those. We now have a Micheals 3 miles from the house. One of these days I'll sign up for a class.