View Full Version : Newbie to scrapbooking???
07-13-2003, 09:54 AM
I am VERY new to scrapbooking! I have nothing but am very anxious to start. Sorry if I ask too many questions.
1. What supplies do I need to start off with?
2. This may be a dumb question but, I know when you buy a scrapbook it comes with pages and I know they sell colorful or fancy background papers so my question is do you glue the fancy paper on top of the page in the scrapbook and then build up from there?
Thanks for any help!!!
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
07-13-2003, 10:51 AM
and have accumulated so much stuff, but have a ton of fun with all of it!
1. you could spend a fortune on supplies, but after buying so much, i have picked out the few most important! i use my paper trimmer on every layout; i didn't have one until i went to an all day crop in april...don't know how i did without one! i have the fiskars office version, $17.43 at wm. i also love card stock; i use it for the background paper, or matting pics, or punching out squares, or matting titles, or cutting out accents, all of the above! a good adhesive is important; i have tried photo mounts, glue and finally bought a hermafix, which dispenses the photo mounts easily! found mine at michael's. also use a square punch alot, can do title blocks, punch out small pics, mount accents on them, etc.
2. i buy my albums at joann's and they have white paper in the page protectors. i do my pages on cardstock or patterned paper, and just slide them in over the white paper. it gives the page some support!
it's not as overwhelming as it seems, pick up a creating keepsakes magazine at joann's and look at pieces of the pages to see what can be done easily to start. the first page is the most difficult, just because it's new to you, but then you'll be off and running with ideas!
07-13-2003, 12:21 PM
Here is my top 10 or so list of what every scrapper needs:
1. Personal trimmer (I love my Creative Memory (CM) one
2. 12 inch paper cutter (I love my centerped but started with Fiskar)
3. Good adhesive (my favorite Hermifix dots and tab I use both)
4. Good sissors (fiskar)
5. Circle/oval cutter (CM LOVE IT)
6. Several packs of solid color paper
7. Assorted packes of paper or hand pick. ( go easy on this very addicting if you see one of my other posts!)
8. Any true 12x12 album (I like top loading post bound)
9. Storage system (I have the crop in style XXL and love it)
10. A paper taker or some other file system
11. Good black, white, gold and silver pen (I have way more than that but I mainly use those three, CM has a great set)
12. File for pictures
13. Sticker/die cut binder (I have the crop in style)
That should get you started and be able to grow from there.
I tell anyone I know that is starting out. Organize your photos first start with most current. Go easy on the paper and sticker and buying of embellishments until you get a feel for your style.
Also check out lots of web sites and see other people's layouts!
07-13-2003, 12:45 PM
If you have a local scrapbook store near you AKA: LSS on this forum. They will be alot of help with you getting started. I agree with the help you've been given so far. Buy a mag and take some classes at your LSS helped me alot over the years.
Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.